Johnny Depp - LEGEND

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Say What Again

Great gesture, and done without a camera crew present/press release/media conference/glitzy after-donation bash.

Nice one.

He'll always be a legend in my books for Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas, Donnie Brasco and Blow. This gesture confirms him as a good guy as well as a great actor.

:cool:

Say What Again
He'll always be a legend in my books for Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, laughers, screamers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get into locked a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can. The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon

Seems like a decent bloke and all.

But shouldn't the fact he did this in secret tell us something?

That he doesn't want this slapped all over the press and internet chat rooms.

Just a thought. :)

Seems like a decent bloke and all.

But shouldn't the fact he did this in secret tell us something?

That he doesn't want this slapped all over the press and internet chat rooms.

Just a thought. :)

100% agree.

Disney should give the money. A condition of JM Barries will is that all profits from the sales of Peter Pan go to Great Ormond Street. And Disney have made a pretty penny from their film of the book.

From Wikipedia

"In 1929 the hospital was the recipient of playwright J.M. Barrie's copyright to the Peter Pan works, with the provision that the income from this source not be disclosed. This gave the institution control of the rights to these works, and entitled it to royalties from any performance or publication of the play and derivative works. The hospital's trustees recently commissioned a sequel, Peter Pan in Scarlet, which has been a critical success.

When the copyright originally expired in 1987, 50 years after Barrie's death, the UK government granted the hospital a perpetual right to collect royalties on the work (but not creative control). The UK copyright was subsequently revived in full under an EU directive in 1996 when the term was standardised throughout the European Union to author's life plus 70 years, thus expiring at the end of 2007. GOSH claims that the play itself (but not the novel) remains under copyright protection in the US until 2023 (based on the publication date of the stage play, 17 years after the novel), although this has been disputed by various parties, including the Walt Disney Company[1] and Top Shelf Productions, both of which have published unauthorised derivative works in the United States."

I P Knightley

Bit risky coming onto Kickback and declaring someone a legend. Next you know, he'll be wearing hoops and pumping his fist ;)

I was less impressed by Depp's donation than by the story-telling dressed as Capt. Sparrow. However, the remark about Bono is unfair, however much of a preaching, pious twunt you may think Bono to be.

Depp wouldn't have got involved if he had not been so closely involved in GOSH's work with his step-daughter. Bono takes on causes that have absolutely no direct relevance to him and uses his high profile, enormous ego and massive mouth to bring them to the attention of the public.

It's all the other multi-millionaire, cocaine-riddled, decadent 'artistes' who deserve your scorn.

I P Knightley
Bono might preach plenty but he don't practice.

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2006/08/20/100/

That's a very well-written piece.

I hope my post never gave the impression that I thought Bono was a wonderful bloke. I missed hypocrite off the list of attributes.

Mind you, it's because he makes himself so high profile that he opens himself to these accusations.

My claim stands that there are many more multi-millionaire rockers, actors & models who use the exact same loopholes to avoid tax, yet contribute the square root of Eff All.

Archived