Quintin Jardine

maroonedinoz

The author of the Bob Skinner books who apparently lives in Gullane.

A mate said he is a regular at Tynecastle..anybody know if that i strue?

The author of the Bob Skinner books who apparently lives in Gullane.

A mate said he is a regular at Tynecastle..anybody know if that i strue?

He's a Motherwell fan, sure he's from there.

At first I liked the books, but the dialogue was stilted. Now there's too much family stuff (they all seem to have intermarried now) but the actual police storylines are good. Dialogue beter. I liked his non-Skinner series as well,but haven't read one for a while.

I P Knightley
At first I liked the books, but the dialogue was stilted. Now there's too much family stuff (they all seem to have intermarried now) but the actual police storylines are good. Dialogue beter. I liked his non-Skinner series as well,but haven't read one for a while.

I agree completely on the dialogue - it's just too 'perfect'.

Similarly, the plot-lines. We're expected to believe that Skinner is superhuman (ace golfer, martial arts master, flawless man-manager, cunning linguist, irrestible negotiator, shrewd & successful businessman; crack shot and the greatest ride a woman could have) whilst he hails from Motherwell. It's fine for one or two books but when you get into the series and realise that there is no irony or comedy about it, it starts to grate a little. If he wanted a superhero, he should have done a comic strip.

Similarly, the plot-lines. We're expected to believe that Skinner is superhuman (ace golfer, martial arts master, flawless man-manager, cunning linguist, irrestible negotiator, shrewd & successful businessman; crack shot and the greatest ride a woman could have) whilst he hails from Motherwell. .

And of course Thursday night footballer. I'm reading his latest from the library. I don't buy them now. Saint Bob hasn't appeared yet, but the crime scene is Gullane and the family are all getting involved. Cut out these relationships and it would be a far better yarn.

As the b/w photo Jardine chose for his website is at Fir Park, not Tynie, I would assume he's a 'well fan.

Similarly, the plot-lines. We're expected to believe that Skinner is superhuman (ace golfer, martial arts master, flawless man-manager, cunning linguist, irrestible negotiator, shrewd & successful businessman; crack shot and the greatest ride a woman could have) whilst he hails from Motherwell. It's fine for one or two books but when you get into the series and realise that there is no irony or comedy about it, it starts to grate a little. If he wanted a superhero, he should have done a comic strip.

No need to repeat yerself mate.....:P

blondejamtart

Agree completely - it was okay for the first couple of books, but then you start to think it's all just one big ego trip for Jardine.

That sounds like the life story of IrvineJambo :eek:

I P Knightley
No need to repeat yerself mate.....:P

You missed the third reference - at least I was giggling when I wrote Crack-Shot.

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

I read one of these books to see how it compared with Rebus and I thought it a total load of unbelievable horsesh*t.

Skinner's bird/wife whatever just had a bairn and after about 3 weeks it is already on solids...

The end of the book has an almighty Bruce Lee/ Chuck Norris type Karate fight which was so badly written I had to laugh.

Utter trip and as for Inspector Rebus comparison...

Ian, you've nothing to worry about.

I admit to liking the books,lying on a sunbed somwhere on the Med you dont need something heavy.But(Toggie will confirm he stood for the SNP )Iremember meeting him ,nie guy,after he had been humiliated as a local council Nat candidate either 95 or 99 elections,either way he didnt get elected

Archived