Hearts face striking dilemma

slfjambo

Hearts have striking problems ahead of their game with Aberdeen at the weekend and caretaker boss Stevie Frail admits he is struggling to find a solution to the problem.

Frail wants the other strikers to raise their game and take some pressure off Andrius Velicka who has been forced to play up-front on his own as a result of the current plight within the club.

The problem has been compounded with the suspension of Callum Elliot and departure of Michal Pospisil, but that could be the chance for Christian Nade to establish himself along side Velicka, as Frail is considering a return to a 4-4-2 formation, but he insisted whoever plays alongside the Lithuanian striker must produce the goods.

?Two forwards is something I'm considering for tomorrow,? Frail said. ?The players know the reason why I've gone with this shape recently and not with two strikers. Up until a few weeks ago we had Michal Pospisil, Calum Elliot, Christian Nade and Velicka. There is a lack of form there with some of them.

?The striking situation is a test for me as well. On Tuesday night against Motherwell, I was trying to think of ways to change things. Coming up to half-time I knew I was changing it, I knew I was going 4-4-2 for the second half. It just didn't quite come off.?

Deividas Cesnauskis will miss the game at Pittodrie but Hearts are hopeful Andrew Driver has recovered from his groin problem in time to add a bit of spark to the side, however, Frail revealed he is hopeful Nade will display the same attitude he did as a second-half substitute in the 1-0 defeat at the hands of Motherwell.

Frail added: ?He showed what he can do. We need to see more of that because we see it in training at times. He has power and pace and did give Motherwell an uncomfortable time so he'll be in contention for Aberdeen.? ................................. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Hearts have striking problems ahead of their game with Aberdeen at the weekend and caretaker boss Stevie Frail admits he is struggling to find a solution to the problem.

Frail wants the other strikers to raise their game and take some pressure off Andrius Velicka who has been forced to play up-front on his own as a result of the current plight within the club.

The problem has been compounded with the suspension of Callum Elliot and departure of Michal Pospisil, but that could be the chance for Christian Nade to establish himself along side Velicka, as Frail is considering a return to a 4-4-2 formation, but he insisted whoever plays alongside the Lithuanian striker must produce the goods.

?Two forwards is something I'm considering for tomorrow,? Frail said. ?The players know the reason why I've gone with this shape recently and not with two strikers. Up until a few weeks ago we had Michal Pospisil, Calum Elliot, Christian Nade and Velicka. There is a lack of form there with some of them.

?The striking situation is a test for me as well. On Tuesday night against Motherwell, I was trying to think of ways to change things. Coming up to half-time I knew I was changing it, I knew I was going 4-4-2 for the second half. It just didn't quite come off.?

Deividas Cesnauskis will miss the game at Pittodrie but Hearts are hopeful Andrew Driver has recovered from his groin problem in time to add a bit of spark to the side, however, Frail revealed he is hopeful Nade will display the same attitude he did as a second-half substitute in the 1-0 defeat at the hands of Motherwell.

Frail added: ?He showed what he can do. We need to see more of that because we see it in training at times. He has power and pace and did give Motherwell an uncomfortable time so he'll be in contention for Aberdeen.? ................................. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Chesney out.

Terrible news. That means we'll have Miko ballet dancing up the wing.

Chesney out.

I'd hope he plays McCann on the left and Jonsson on the right so we don't play Miko.

Doubt it though.

Your right, I feel sorry for the guy, they haven't even given the guy a chance. Can't do much worse than we have just now.

Drylaw Hearts
Why don't we just play Makela. He's a striker and whilst subject of much debate seems to know how to score.

I don't there is a single person at the Club who rates Makela as a footballer.

I spoke to Makelas girlfriend a couple of weeks ago .

She said no one at Hearts would tell him why he's not getting a game.

He's very upset at not getting a game despite scoring goals.

I was really looking forward to seeing him get his game for Hearts when it was announced he was coming. Top scorer in a league that i bet is not as bad as ours.

Its a shame i say.:mad:

Question : If he got as many games as Velicka ..

Do you think he would have scored more goals .

I think he would have.

Strange how his goals were complete luck. Being serious here, some how the boys kak but scored goals... 1 against Barca. Strange phenomena.

Drylaw Hearts
Since when has that stopped people getting a game at Tynie?

Not convinced about the guy, but he seems to know where the goal is. Really what have we got to loose? Can't be worse in playing Audery in the hole, Elliot up top, Velikca on his own etc, etc.

This is a guy that Basle wanted to sign. I really trust there coaching staff much more that I do ours!

I would go to as far as to say he is, imo, worse than Bennyuseless.

I was really looking forward to seeing him get his game for Hearts when it was announced he was coming. Top scorer in a league that i bet is not as bad as ours.

I think he would have.

It is a real shame if they are treating him like that.

He is one player who has never let us down when he has played.

I am told that he puts a lot of effort in at the gym on his own team to keep fit.

But is there anyone at Hearts who is any good at judging footballers?

Drylaw Hearts
No offense I still trust the Basle coaching staff ahead of you.;)

The guy may be mince in training etc, however, the little we have seen of him in first team action, he scores. Really what have we got to loose?

I'm sure the Basle Manager at the time was Christian Gross - so there may be a few Spurs fans who disagree with you !!!

Giving a guy a game who is utter mince not only in training but in any Reserve matches he's played is not the way forward.

I honestly think 4-5-1 with Velicka up front on his own, is better than playing 4-4-2 with Makela in the team.

I would go to as far as to say he is, imo, worse than Bennyuseless.

Scores goals though doesn't he? In a team where only ONE of the strikers is regularly scoring surely giving a guy who bangs them away on the occasions he gets a start is worth a shot.

If not then sell him. Why do we insist on destroying a player's career just because somebody in the committee doesn't like him?

I'd bet my right nad (has to be right, bet my left on another thread) that given a proper run Makela will become as valuable as Velicka is.

maroonlegions

how much did he cost again:confused:,so who brought him in and WHY was he brought in ,surely our scouts and coaching staff cannae be useless ,eh, mmmm, well, then again mmm.:confused::rolleyes:

Gross was a better manager than his record at spurs suggests.

As for Makela...people say he isnt a footballer, but take a look at the goalscorers in the spl. Is Motherwell's Chris Porter a footballer. Is Kris Boyd for that matter?Or even Vennegoor?They all score goals though.

maroonlegions
Tell you what Christian Gross may be a joke figure at Spurs. However, anything but in the Swiss league. His record is tremendous! We could do worse if we were, seriously, looking for a manger.

Unsually going to have to disagree with you, over Makela.

I did give him a shot, nothing to less and probably alot to gain.

one thing is standing in his way to get a game ,even now when we have a bit of a striking problem .FRAIL HAS NOT GOT THE B***S TO PLAY HIM .;)

Drylaw Hearts
Scores goals though doesn't he? In a team where only ONE of the strikers is regularly scoring surely giving a guy who bangs them away on the occasions he gets a start is worth a shot?

If not then sell him. Why do we insist on destroying a player's career just because somebody in the committee doesn't like him.

I'd bet my right nad (has to be right, bet my left on another thread) that given a proper run Makela will become as valuable as Velicka is.

He is not good enough to play SPL football.

Lets not over exaggerate this goal scoring record.

He did score reguarly in Finland but lets be honest I bet there is very little between that league and whatever league FBK play in.

For Hearts, he scored 2 goals from about a yard out and a hat-trick against lowly Alloa.

He has played reguarly in the Reserve matches and been awful.

He's also been on loan and come back after a dismal spell in Switzerland.

IMO, he is in the same category as the rest of the January 2006 Transfer Window Signings..............

A complete and utter disaster.

He did score reguarly in Finland but lets be honest I bet there is very little between that league and whatever league FBK play in.

For Hearts, he scored 2 goals from about a yard out and a hat-trick against lowly Alloa.

IMO, he is in the same category as the rest of the January 2006 Transfer Window Signings..............

Did he come here to play reserve team football?What incentive is there for him to do well when he doesnt get a chance after scoring a hat trick for the 1st team.

As for the jan signings. Had we not been a shambles i'm sure some of those players would've been good players.

Drylaw Hearts
Tell you what Christian Gross may be a joke figure at Spurs. However, anything but in the Swiss league. His record is tremendous! We could do worse if we were, seriously, looking for a manger.

Unsually going to have to disagree with you, over Makela.

I did give him a shot, nothing to less and probably alot to gain.

:eek:

I wouldn't consider Christian Gross, even for a split second !!

My opinions on Makela come from having watched him in Reserve matches and the odd training session.

And everytime I've seen him I've walked away with the same opinion - he's awful.

Drylaw Hearts
Basle wanted to sign him. Unfortunately, they were not to prepared to pay Hearts the money they wanted and I believe his personal terms would have been a bit of issue unless he reached a deal with Hearts.

Can't have been that bad a spell.

IIRC, played 12 scored nil - for FC Thun.

Or something along those lines.

I think Basle wanted to sign him around the same time we did.

Drylaw Hearts
1988-93 FC Wil

Promoted to 1. Liga

Promoted to Nationalliga B

1993-97 Grasshopper Club Z?rich

1994 - Swiss Cup

1995 - Championship

1996 - Championship

1997-98 Tottenham Hotspur

1999- FC Basel

2002 - Swiss Cup

2002 - Championship

2002 - UEFA Champions League 2nd Group Stage

2003 - Swiss Cup

2004 - Championship

2005 - Championship

2007 - Swiss Cup

Gross record as a coach is decent. Better than anything we've had in a long time. Grantefd the guy who manages the local school team is probably better than we've had in a long time.

I don't rate the Swiss league.

FBK Kaunas win their league every year and we've had practically all their old managers recently.

Drylaw Hearts
You don't recall correctly.

3 goals in 14. Though I think only 5 starts, not sure.

Not great but not bad. Enough that they wanted to sign him, following the loan spell. Though they were interested initially at the same time as us.

ps. I get you don't rate him

3 goals in 14 means 0 in the other 11 and I said 0 in 12, so I really wasn't far away !

Ahem.

Anyway, I just don't rate him.

:)

Drylaw Hearts
Mate the Swiss league is much better than the Lithuanian league. Feck Kaunas win the Lithuanian league with some dancer playing Champ man!

Swiss league is probably comparable with the SPL, sometime up a little bit sometime down.

Take away the top 2 or 3 team in Switzerland and the rest are gash.

Just like the SPL as you quite rightly say.

[

The reason Makela isnt getting a game is because the mad one doesnt rate him. If I am not wrong Rix instigated signing him. Have a look at our lineup the only ones left playing are what vlad has signed, Burleys signings are gone, Rix,s are gone or are going, and all we will have left soon are our fantasy league team chosen by the mad one. Thats probably why we command such a lofty position in the league standings.

QUOTE=Drylaw Hearts;33501]I'm sure the Basle Manager at the time was Christian Gross - so there may be a few Spurs fans who disagree with you !!!

Giving a guy a game who is utter mince not only in training but in any Reserve matches he's played is not the way forward.

I honestly think 4-5-1 with Velicka up front on his own, is better than playing 4-4-2 with Makela in the team.

[Q

Who,s his dance partner Vlad?. Now I understand the connection between them.

UOTE=cosanostra;33378]Chesney out.

Vlad_Knows_Best
Deividas Cesnauskis will miss the game at Pittodrie but Hearts are hopeful Andrew Driver has recovered from his groin problem in time to add a bit of spark to the side.

Where did you get this article from?

Frail told the media today at Riccarton that Deividas Cesnauskis and Andrew Driver were doubtful but both will travel.

So do not know how this article can say Chesney will miss the game and that they hope driver has recovered.

>> So can score goals in a league somewhat like the one Velicka used to play in......Velicka being our top goal scorer? Sounds good.

>> So a bit of a penalty box poacher? Has got himself a hat-trick already? Sounds good.

>> Really though, our reserves are ALL utter rubbish. Rarely win and it seems only there to test out youth and dodgy tactics.

>> Scored goals and had Basle after his signature, can't be that bad a time.....certainly better that Mole or Elliot's loan periods.

Really though, I get it you don't rate many a league or player from these leagues but our strikers are SH*TE. Only Velicka (striker from dodgy league) can put them in, the rest are lucky if they know what the goal looks like.

Makela looks to work hard, train, but doesn't get a sniff due to politics. It's a disgrace tbh. Another Romanov toy disgarded.

He should get a chance or be sold.

We are getting worse than the mhanks for ruining players' careers. Shocking run of players whose careers have been stalled since signing for Hearts, no bloody wonder all we can attract are Kaunas journeymen looking for a nice cushy life in Edinburgh.

Vlad_Knows_Best

Has got himself a hat-trick already?

Did you see it was against Alloa.............nothing to shout about really.

Has got himself a hat-trick already?

Did you see it was against Alloa.............nothing to shout about really.

There were quite a few lessons from that game.

Eggert Jonsson was clearly a top player in the making.

Ivaskevicius was a total passenger.

Besijla was a wind up of a signing Ali Dia style.

And Makela could be a proper striker. He was excellent that night, running the line very well and taking his chances.

According to many on this thread Makela shouldnt play for the first team because he is crap in training etc. Now from what I have heard many times is that Mikos attitude in training is is excellent therefore he gets to play every week. And he brings what exactly to the team?

IMO Makela will score goals. This is a skill that nearly every club cries out for. When you get a player who can score goals they usually command big money and are fans' favourites. What do we do? Berate him and hide him away refusing to give him a chance. If Makela had the chances that Jamie Mole or Calum Elliot( neither who are goalscorers of any note) got - I believe we might think differently about Makela. Not saying he is aesthetically a dream but ......he will score goals!!!!!

Salvatore's Tash

Shaggy thinks Makela i one of the worst at the club thats why he aint involved! Mole back in squad though!

Shaggy doesn't know sheeeeeeeeeeit.

Give Makela a chance. Fat Albert can come on for the last fifteen if he struggles.

I can't see that our stiker situation is as bad as is being made out. Admitedly it's not great and we do need to sign a quality scorer but We'v got Velicka on form, Nade who looked like he was starting to get his erse in gear against Motherwell and make a push to get fit, earn a start and prove himself. Makela is also an option- his goals to games ratio is actually quite decent and i think he deserves a chance.

The 4-5-1 suits against certain teams but if i were Frail id just say '**** it' and go 4-4-2 against the Dons - Velicka/Nade up front, Makela on the bench.

I think he would have.

The Finnish league?:wacko:

Archived