Title Challenge

sked21

Was just listening Frail's interview and he was still maintaining that we have the squad to challenge for the league.

Lets say we get a (proper) manager in, do you think we have the players to challenge for the league?

In my opinion over the whole season we don't. There are maybe about 15 players who I really think that we could make a decent challenge with. If we kept them injury free and a stable side without the likes of Elliot, Kestutis, neilson etc.

Guest JamboRobbo

I think the more Frail opens his mouth, the more he proves he doesn't have a clue what he is talking about.

At least when he was a puppet, we could assume it wasn't really his fault.

Now he supposed to be in charge, and still sounds like he hasn't a clue what is going on.

We have the quantity but don't seem to have the quality.I hope some of the players who must have red faces picking up their pay cheques get shown the door sooner rather than later! I think we've been lucky that Rangers and Celtic aren't too much better and the likes of Aberdeen,Dundee Utd and Hibs are very mediocre sides.Motherwell have improved a lot this season and we all know how that is apart from Romanov!!

MacDonald Jardine
Was just listening Frail's interview and he was still maintaining that we have the squad to challenge for the league.

Lets say we get a (proper) manager in, do you think we have the players to challenge for the league?

In my opinion over the whole season we don't. There are maybe about 15 players who I really think that we could make a decent challenge with. If we kept them injury free and a stable side without the likes of Elliot, Kestutis, neilson etc.

15 players? You're kidding.

Maybe for a challenge at 3rd.

We have some players who are far better than they have shown due to the complete shambles surrounding the football side of the club however Frail is bordering on deluded if he thinks the current squad could get anywhere near the Old Firm even if current circumstances did not exist. The Hearts team of 2 seasons ago would empty the current one 9 times out of 10 and comfortably as well and yet they couldn't even get close to the SPL winners and only just held of Rangers charge for 2nd. The motley crew we have now would be good enough to challenge for 3rd / 4th under proper guidance but that would be it.

maroonlegions

thats it for me with frail if he thinks we have the squad to challenge for the league then the faster we get a REAL manager the better ,WTF is he on about,totally mind boggling statement.:dunce::dunce::omg_2:

We have the quantity but don't seem to have the quality.

And that's been a problem since January 06. The egomaniac's transfer activity has been a major reason in the shambles the football side of the club has become. Literally dozens of mediocre nonentities in the playing and coaching staff, not improving the quality one iota but adding to the general confusion and killing of any team spirit and togetherness.

HEARTS FOREVER

Frail needs fitted with a toilet roll dispenser.

loveofthegame

No chance- only Kingston and Berra from our squad would get anywhere near either of the OF's 1st teams. Possibly Velicka at a push

Despite what Frail keeps telling us, our players just arent very good.

i would keep about 10 who are capabable of being in a title challenging squad and bring in 7 or 8 new players who are worth a sook so no we won't win the league anytime soon

I think the more Frail opens his mouth, the more he proves he doesn't have a clue what he is talking about.

Now he supposed to be in charge, and still sounds like he hasn't a clue what is going on.

Ahh, but he didnt say which league !! :confused:

Actually, agree entirely with the above post.

What manager in their right mind in charge of a relegation threatened team says that the players are good enough to win the league. All it demonstrates is his own incompetence as a manager.

GC

Nowhere near enough quality in the squad nowadays. A proper manager would be able to get more out of the team and achieve what is realistically our level now (3rd or 4th place).

I agree Frail is making himself look rather foolish carrying on this charade, we're in a relegation dogfight FFS!!

We have lost far too many good players and even when we had them all it would have been touch and go whether we would actually have won the league. Players shown the door:

Gordon

Pressley

Hartley

Skacel

Webster

Jankauskas

Fyssas

Brellier

Bednar

and probably a few more. And to replace them who do we get, 28 and The Pillow :cry_smile:

To prove that Frails theory is utter p 1 s h - compare the current squad with the squad Burley, how many of the current crop would get a game for Burley - maybe Kingston. That is how far the team has plummeted in terms of quality, we have a squad that is maybe capable of 7th at best :mad: :mad:

I am being serious. He said something along the lines of: "We have the squad here to mount a challenge but we just haven't played well in a lot of games".

Why do you think that is Shaggy?

We do not have very many players of any real quality in our squad. We have just about enough to challenge for 3rd place, nothing more than that.

We have alot of very ordinary players who would struggle to get their game for many of the other teams in the league.

We need a mass overhaul of the playing squad and bring some real quality in. We've been needing it for years now and there is no sign that this will ever actually happen.

15 players? You're kidding.

Maybe for a challenge at 3rd.

Maybe not 15 players. Come to think about it I was being really stupid.

Ibrahim Tall

Deividas Cesnauskis

Andrew Driver

Ruben Palazeulos

Andrius Velicka

Mauricio Pinilla

Laryea Kingston

If they are more consistent:

Christophe Berra

Christos Karipidis

Bruno Aguair

Eggert Jonsson

In my opinion over the whole season we don't. There are maybe about 15 players who I really think that we could make a decent challenge with. If we kept them injury free and a stable side without the likes of Elliot, Kestutis, neilson etc.[/QUOTe

just confirms what i thought,the man's a visionary,way ahead of anyone else.

can just picture big zal lifting the spl trophy with top scorer

elliot alongside him in 2009:wacko:

bigbryanthejambo

If Berra, Driver, Stewart, Eggert, Velicka, Audrey and Chesny wer allowed to play in roles that suit them, with a structured manager in place....I don't think we'd be that far off keeping the pace with the OF.

We have a decent squad. No-one in football can argue with that. But no-one in football can also argue with the leauge positions as they stand.

The Transfer window is closing....tick tock tick tock tick tock

meridian jambo

To me JR has summed up Frail 100% correct.

Mmm, now let me think about this, Hearts need a manager, what would be the perfect qualifications, one who the players like, one who while having autonomy just happens to have the same satisfaction with things as they are as Romanov. My goodness where would you find someone like that, mmm, oh what about Steven Frail, or as those who know him and work for him call him Shaggy.

He's one of the boys, he says what the boss wants to hear, and Hearts have turned the corner since he took over.

All that searching and he is right there, things are bright at Tynecastle, Champions League, passing over the Old Firm, 20,000 season ticket holders with a 10,000 waiting list, Believe, its all happening.

yes, he should come out and say for e.g.

"i think we could get relegated"

" we are a very poor team right now"

"cant see us finishing in the top six"

that should boost the fans allright. :sarcasm:

public pronouncements are mainly bollox unless ur winning, when they become bland & a waste of time.

rarely does the truth ever get in they way of a manager @ a press conference.

for numerous examples see tango man. :ohmy:

This squad would struggle to get promoted from the first division.

The attrition of the squad from October 2006 to the present is tragic.

Until recently I was still reflexly saying we'd have a decent squad with a good manager on board. But, when you actually think about it, we are rank rotten. If we gave all our current players free transfers, which other Scottish clubs would take them?

I think you are being very generous. I would be tempted to move nearly every single one of those players into the more consistent category and even then!

A number of players are made to look at lot better than they are because they are playing in such a poor side and are playing alongside some distinctly average players.

Couldn't see th OF being interested in many of those guys. Thats really the standard we've got to be looking at if we want to mount a challenge, I guess.

It's a good point to look at how many of these players are being linked away with moves. Only Velicka is! If any of these players were worthy of helping us push for the title there would be more interest shown in them, but there hasn't been, as simply, most of them are very mediocre and incredibly bad value for money.

The only player I'd be gutted to see leave would be Kingston, which will inevitably happen in the summer.

Nelly Terraces
Was just listening Frail's interview and he was still maintaining that we have the squad to challenge for the league.Lets say we get a (proper) manager in, do you think we have the players to challenge for the league?

Oh my giddy aunt (always wanted to say that one here :biggrin:). The man clearly needs some kind of psychiatric help:wacko:. Poor bloke.

"...Yes, yes, win the league squad, that's right Steven, now mind your head as these nice men in white coats put you in the back of this lovely van..."

maroonlegions
Mmm, now let me think about this, Hearts need a manager, what would be the perfect qualifications, one who the players like, one who while having autonomy just happens to have the same satisfaction with things as they are as Romanov. My goodness where would you find someone like that, mmm, oh what about Steven Frail, or as those who know him and work for him call him Shaggy.

He's one of the boys, he says what the boss wants to hear, and Hearts have turned the corner since he took over.

All that searching and he is right there, things are bright at Tynecastle, Champions League, passing over the Old Firm, 20,000 season ticket holders with a 10,000 waiting list, Believe, its all happening.

and this from the man who has the responsibility for making sure we do not finish below Gretna, hold on to your hats its gonna be one long bumpy and nail bitting 4 months.:booze::chase:

I think you are being very generous. I would be tempted to move nearly every single one of those players into the more consistent category and even then!

A number of players are made to look at lot better than they are because they are playing in such a poor side and are playing alongside some distinctly average players.

Couldn't see th OF being interested in many of those guys. Thats really the standard we've got to be looking at if we want to mount a challenge, I guess.

Definately see your point. I am being generous. But the bit in bold works either way.

If they were playing in a really good team they can be made to look even better.

The way I look at it is how many would get into our 2005-2006 team. The answer:

Craig Gordon

Ibrahim Tall - 1

Andy Webster

Steven Pressley

Takis Fyssas

Laryea Kingston - 2

Paul Hartley

Julien Brellier although I think I would be tempted to slide Ruben in there - 1/2

Rudi Skacel

Roman Bednar

Edgaras Jankauskas

J.T.F.Robertson

Think we're very much agreed on the quality of the squad in nowhere near what Frail believes.

He doesn't "believe" it! Pathetic, aint it!

The Real Maroonblood
Nowhere near enough quality in the squad nowadays. A proper manager would be able to get more out of the team and achieve what is realistically our level now (3rd or 4th place).

I agree Frail is making himself look rather foolish carrying on this charade, we're in a relegation dogfight FFS!!

We have lost far too many good players and even when we had them all it would have been touch and go whether we would actually have won the league. Players shown the door:

Gordon

Pressley

Hartley

Skacel

Webster

Jankauskas

Fyssas

Brellier

Bednar

and probably a few more. And to replace them who do we get, 28 and The Pillow :cry_smile:

Once we have the 2 World Cup stars everything will be ok.

;)

The myth that we have a talented squad (third best in Scotland) who are underachieving solely because of the meddling of our owner and a shambolic coaching structure has long since been exposed as just that - a myth.

We are where we are in the league because many of the teams above us have better, more productive players.

The fact that these same teams are uniformly gash says it all about the 'quality' of our squad.

There's no doubt that the coaching structure and meddling certainly doesn't help things - but I think you make a decent point - the main reason we are in tenth position is that our players are not good enough. I think a lot of people seem to lose sight of that.

Very eloquently put, couldn't put it better myself............

I think currently we've got a top six team at best. With a decent manager they could be challenging for 3rd. But no chance on anything above that, the quality, fight, will to win, none of that is there.

Proper manager, best of the current lot, some of the better youth and a few quality signings, that'd do it.

Never gonna happen though. Unless Romanov is doing an 11th hour thing like 2006 we won't see anybody bar Frail sitting (looking lost) in the dugout.

To be fair you have to expect him to at least talk the team up a bit. Normally I'd rather hear the truth from the head coach but the truth is much to awful to contemplate in this case. If he's motivating them a bit by talking them up then fine, no harm in it.

He doesnt seriously believe it though...................does he ?

Tell you what I'd be seriously worried that if we got relegated and kept the same squad, they'd have a real struggle to get right back up again.

You think Tall would get into the team. Mmm Burley diagreed with you! Tall was there and the fact that he could not displace Neilson, tell its own story for me.

Tall has never really impressed at RB. In fact Tall only started looking good when he replaced Zalikuas. To be honest, I reckon I would look good replacing Zali!

Ruben, looks a decent player. Very good, however, he's not really the same type of player as Brellier. Brellier whilst not as skillful as Ruben, would be much better at doing that job of defending and allowing a Hartley to attack. Particulary considering the style of football we played.

Kingston definately, though in fairness we've not had a RM for 2 and bit years!

Anyway, the above is just personal opinion and all that.

Think we're very much agreed on the quality of the squad in nowhere near what Frail believes.

Agree with you about Ruben. Just in some home games I would be tempted to play him and give us a more attacking edge.

Come one. Surely you can not think that if Ibby Tall got a run at right-back he would be worse then Neilson.

Agree with you about Ruben. Just in some home games I would be tempted to play him and give us a more attacking edge.

Come one. Surely you can not think that if Ibby Tall got a run at right-back he would be worse then Neilson.

Are you happy with the choice of George Burley as Scotland manager?

Anyway, the truth is becoming very clear. The Romanovs couldn't afford to pay the players beyond that one and a half seasons before they had to start the cost cutting. All of the talk about surpassing the Old Firm was nonsense as they clearly didn't have the cash. The Old Firm are strengthening at the moment - just as the Romanovs run out of money.

So the quality of the squad has been cut massively due to their lack of cash.

It would be nice if Vlad or Rodney would have the humility to come out and explain that they don't have enough money to back up their big talk. That would give all the fans the chance to appreciate properly the aims of the club.

Given the lack of funds those aims should be

1) challenge for 3rd place and get it on a 3 out of 5 season basis

2) challenge for the cups and win one every 5 years

3) develop players and try to sell them on to the Old Firm and the Premiership

Expressing these would ease the frustrations of the fans.

If they find that they have more capital then those aims could be readjusted.

At the moment their pronouncements suggest that they want to be a top European club but have the finances of a mid SPL team and a manager of a 2nd Division side.

portobellojambo1

Did he happen to mention which league, did he specifically say SPL, or are we talking about coming straight back up should we go down. :rolleyes:

portobellojambo1

Excellent post Bob, and sums up why we should not even contemplate Frail as manager. We need someone to come in and kick serious a s s, not someone who says what the big man wants to hear, and picks players that are no better than below average to average.

Archived