Hearts at Pittodrie Over the Years ?

Csaba's Broon Shoes

Csaba's Broon Shoes

What have been your favourite Hearts games at Pittodrie over the years ?

I would go for the 1 nil win in the league January1986 John Colquhoun scoring

late on sending the 5,000 ( honestly there really was in them days five

thousand in the away end )strong Jambo army mad .

"We took the Beach End."

Wasn't much fun when they set the alsatians on the hill though.

My one was a replay in the cup mid 80's, when they closed the gates to us and started putting A/Deen in. Utter, utter carnage.

We got beat as well.

I worked a nightshift after being at that match! Will never forget the atmosphere when JC was put clean through and stuck the ball past Leighton, right in the Hearts end! Magic memories! Unfortunately, there was a TV strike of some sort at the time, and the game wasn't recorded. Blah!

Lynn:ninja:

"We took the Beach End."

Wasn't much fun when they set the alsatians on the hill though.

My one was a replay in the cup mid 80's, when they closed the gates to us and started putting A/Deen in. Utter, utter carnage.

We got beat as well.

Aye,I was at that game. Big Roddie MacDonald got sent off if memory serves me right. Eric Black scored. I remember getting to the top of that hill, and the queue was huge. I was sure I wasn't going to get in. It was a disgrace that they let home fans in that end. There must have been a ton of jambos locked out.

21st October 1978. Derek O'Conner scored on his Hearts debut! Dennis McQuade(did he ever score simple goals?LOL!) scored from about forty yards in the second half, after Joe Harper had equalised from the spot! One of the bright spots from that season.

Must admit i have never liked it up there since we got moved out of the beach end.(I can even remember being in the other end behind goals)Not the same even though we have won our fair shair since.1986 with John Colquhoun winner for me too.

My most vivid memory was a game back in the 80s when we were 2-0 down at half-time and came back to draw 2-2. I think Robbo scored them both and then missed a great chance for his hat-trick. The real reason it sticks in my mind though is that I fancied it to be a 2-2 draw and put a couple of quid on. Being pretty impoverished at the time, I struggled to know whether to be pleased or annoyed when Robbo had his miss. Eventually, I realised that the miss was worse.

I rarely bet on games involving Hearts and since that day have only ever backed us to win.

The Old Tolbooth

Having been one of the hardy souls who travelled up to the league cup quarter final there 4 or 5 years ago, it was nice to come away with a 1-0 win.

The weather was awful, we even thought the game would be off but travelled anyway cos we just didnt care. We stopped at Mcdermaid Park on the way up for lunch too which was good, and then went into the beach end bar which is now home supporters only, the colours were hidden and the phones on silent!

I was only 10 and I seem to remember being high up in a stand that had Aberdeen supporters somewhere in it and when we left the ground there were Aberdeen fans congratulating us and wishing us luck for the championship. The casuals obviously didnae look near a 10 year old!

The worst was a 4-0 defeat shortly after a European tie. I remember Jeremy Goss was playing although I've tried to forget.

I mind just Rixes first game up there, that was some day. Some nutter in the Hearts crowd brought out a Union Jack and the whole Beach End and the segregated part next to the away end went ballistic.

My most vivid memory was a game back in the 80s when we were 2-0 down at half-time and came back to draw 2-2. I think Robbo scored them both and then missed a great chance for his hat-trick. The real reason it sticks in my mind though is that I fancied it to be a 2-2 draw and put a couple of quid on. Being pretty impoverished at the time, I struggled to know whether to be pleased or annoyed when Robbo had his miss. Eventually, I realised that the miss was worse.

I rarely bet on games involving Hearts and since that day have only ever backed us to win.

It was absolutley baltic that day! I think I remember them saying it was the coldest day of the year! The playing surface was rock hard too! :eek:

Walter Bishop

3-1 around early 90`s moroon and white striped away top, Tosh Mckinlay scored a 25 yard volley!!!!

A guy near us broke his leg on the old grey solid "benches" in the away end!!!

Walter Bishop

I used to go the games with Jimmy Sandison`s nephew and we were there the day Jimmy scored a cracker in a 2-2 draw, him and Crabbo celebrated with their famous dance!!!!!:eek::eek:

Csaba's Broon Shoes
I used to go the games with Jimmy Sandison`s nephew and we were there the day Jimmy scored a cracker in a 2-2 draw, him and Crabbo celebrated with their famous dance!!!!!:eek::eek:

That celebratory dance is up there with Michael Jackson's MoonWalk

I saw Jimmy in his black cab yesterday and thought he was a good player

however with Levein and MacPherson at the club he never got a great run

in the team at the time , how we could do with these players mentioned

nowadays , Crabbe was also a good player who left the club too soon .

Can sort of remember my first trip there in the early 90's, think it was 1-0 and hearts were wearing a striking white and maroon pinstripe number if I remember right. I think Scott Leitch (of all people) was our scorer, it's all very hazy now but I enjoyed that season even though we were rank.

Pittodrie stank then and it still stinks today!

2-1 win in 2000 when Darren Jackson scored the winner :thumb:

Worst game was when we lost 3-1 there in midweek, I think that was in 2000 too, at the time they were bottom of the SPL :eek:

3-1 last season.

The real Pinigol showed up.

loved that game, i'd just started at aberdeen uni, that was my first full weekend up there

only time i've been at a game there and we've won

The one that I'll always remember was a league game on a Tuesday night in January 2003. The weather was dreadful - rain, sleet, snow, very windy - in fact during the first half it looked like the game would not last the distance but it went all the way and Gary Wales scored a stoppage time winner (only goal of the game). There were about 500 of us Jambos there that night and when that goal went in the Hearts section went crazy.

Was at the O'Connor / McQuade game and watching the video now always laugh when the commentator says ' a Dennis McQuade special ' . YES he did it every week !!! Can't honestly rememeber him scoring apart from that.

1-0 October 1986....Foster scored his 1st goal on debut

3-1 October 1989

2-0 November 1991 (midweek game)...just beat Celtic 3-1 and then after Aberdeen beat United at Tannadice....best 3 results on the spin I can recall.

Drylaw Hearts

My favourite Pittodrie match was May 1998.

We drew 2-2 but the biggest cheer of the day was when Dundee Utd scored to send the Hobos down.

Wonderful.

Was at the O'Connor / McQuade game and watching the video now always laugh when the commentator says ' a Dennis McQuade special ' . YES he did it every week !!! Can't honestly rememeber him scoring apart from that.

He scored a cracker against the reptiles IIRC. Dennis perfected the art of missing the easy chances and then scoring what seemed impossible goals.

I remember just before he scored I turned to a mate (who hadn't yet seen him play) to say how feckin useless he was. Perhaps I should have said that more often.

I remember a cup replay(I think it was) when Robbo scored a screamer of a free kick into the beach end. It made that fine rippling noise against the back of the net that you get when a ball has been struck really hard.

Robbo's greatest ever goal in my opinion and only about 1200 Hearts fans saw it because there was no TV coverage of the game.

2-1 win in 2000 when Darren Jackson scored the winner :thumb:

Worst game was when we lost 3-1 there in midweek, I think that was in 2000 too, at the time they were bottom of the SPL :eek:

One of my favourites too mate!;) Remember our song "Reekin' in Brechin" ??(Cannae mind the rest of the words).I've always liked my days out going up there especially if we could get the win.Our bus used to stop at the Brechin City Club before it shut down on the way up for a few refreshments.Never made the matches twice.Once when we won 3-2 and I was sitting blethering away to a Jambo who had recently lost his missus so we hit the doubles and the doubles hit us back big time!! Two of us were absolutely blitzed!!

The other was a Sunday which was the last game of that season and it kicked off at half 12 just when the boozers opened.Well a mate of mine on the bus and myself decided to sit in the boozer til half time 1-1 when we walked down to the ground and this guy coming out said it wasn't a great game and wasn't worth the hassle so we decided to head back to the boozer.

Well the goals were rattling in and we were shell shocked as Hearts went 4-1 up blaming each other for not going into the ground!! The final score was 5-2 and we both felt a tad guilty for going all the way up there and not going!!:confused::)

Oh and by the way the missus isn't speaking to me so that's why I'm blethering away a wee bit too much on here tonight!!:wacko:

cup replay 85,Aberdeen fc/Police estimated approx only 2/2500 Hearts would be up midweek ?! and wasnt all ticket therefore decided after I think 7;15 let sheep in our end,no traffic jams etc.... feckwits

vlad on the tyne

the tam flogel game 4-1 game was quality as was the game were JC came on and scored two late goals as a sub prob about 95? 2nd was a crisp half volley.

the best pittodire memory for me has to be when the news of the mighty kjell sending the hobos to divsion 1 came filtering through, oh how we laughed and danced that memorable,memorable day!

Archived