Salman Rushdie attacked and hospitalised ( updated )

Dick Dastardly

In surgery now.

Satanic Verses was released in 1988 ffs.

34 years ago.

Iran still has a bounty on him. Recently upped it in line with inflation FFS.

Satanic Verses is a great read.

I always presumed it was about somebody who immigrated feeling out of sorts from their old life as well as their new life?

I don't quite understand why it's so 

controversial - although that might be my ignorance on the subject matter.

I read Iran had a bounty on his head? It's it particuarly offensive to Shiite or is it hated with the Sunni's as well?

Edited by Shankland

11 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Ah, the religion of peace being peaceful again. 

Only this week a bunch of far right nutters burst into a drag queen story hour and attacked the storyteller.

Ignorance and violence are not exclusive to any one religion, or religion itself.

There's arseholes everywhere. And they're getting more brazen.

2 minutes ago, Cade said:

Only this week a bunch of far right nutters burst into a drag queen story hour and attacked the storyteller.

Ignorance and violence are not exclusive to any one religion, or religion itself.

Spot on. 

Mac_fae_Gillie
2 minutes ago, Cade said:

1 question, how many drag Queens are there in Iran? I will settle for rough number. Bigotry exists everywhere but Iran state sponsors it.

Seymour M Hersh
59 minutes ago, Cade said:

Of course there are violent bigots everywhere but I doubt the ones you refer to issued a world wide fatwah to kill the drag queen and certainly not 33 years ago. I also doubt they tell everyone their religion (which is totally absent in your analogy) is one of peace to all men (obviously women need not apply in this case). 

And according to the BBC, never one to miss out attacking the right, said it was a protest that passed off peacefully. Their (the protesters who in Wales are not the most obvious far right nutters) protest was against the sexualising of young children which they felt having a drag queen reading the story (I don't even know what the story was) was the issue. Again according to the BBC nobody was physically attacked. 

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

Dick Dastardly
1 hour ago, Cade said:

In surgery now.

34 years ago.

It's absolutely crazy that it's been that long. £3.5 million bounty for writing about Allah or Mohamed or whatever he actually wrote. 

There isn't just a bounty on him though, there are death notices out on everyone involved in the book. A Japanese translator was knifed to death over it. 

1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Of course there are violent bigots everywhere but I doubt the ones you refer to issued a world wide fatwah to kill the drag queen and certainly not 33 years ago. I also doubt they tell everyone their religion (which is totally absent in your analogy) is one of peace to all men (obviously women need not apply in this case). 

And according to the BBC, never one to miss out attacking the right, said it was a protest that passed off peacefully. Their (the protesters who in Wales are not the most obvious far right nutters) protest was against the sexualising of young children which they felt having a drag queen reading the story (I don't even know what the story was) was the issue. Again according to the BBC nobody was physically attacked. 

The BBC is left wing now? Jesus, have a word with yourself man.

The truth is there is an extreme element in the west and within the Middle East. 

We (by which mean the west), carved up the Middle East, causing sectarian hatred across it, whilst being directly responsible for millions (literally millions) of deaths.

Iran - whilst I don't agree with their bounty against an author who I've stated I like - can quite easily (and rightly) accuse us of. How many of their people have we (the west and Israel) assaniated? 

You, in my opinion, like many of right wing lunatics, are part of the problem.

Now I'll have a rant on the Tory thread as I need to let one without a ban 😂

Edited by Shankland

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Cade said:

where was this ?

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

Just read it.  . 

This quote

Miss Peppermint, a drag queen who appeared on RuPaul’s Drag Race and is now on the reality show Call Me Mother, says the public shouldn’t let attacks on drag queens distract from the essential work of protecting the most vulnerable members of the LGBTQ community. “I think this ‘let’s attack drag queens’ is a red herring. Transgender youths are the ones who are really being atacked,” she says. “I do believe we deserve the right to perform freely and not have our art stifled, but the more vulnerable groups are trans youths and trans women of color.

Not wanting to get into any debate about this but the most vulnerable group in society is and has always been women.  

It's happening in the UK too, Brighton, Norfolk, Bristol, Reading, Rochdale and Cardiff being the most recent examples in the UK.

FFS it's just a pantomime dame reading kids books to kids in a library.

:vrface:

Edited by Cade

3 hours ago, Shankland said:

Satanic Verses is a great read.

I always presumed it was about somebody who immigrated feeling out of sorts from their old life as well as their new life?

I don't quite understand why it's so 

controversial - although that might be my ignorance on the subject matter.

I read Iran had a bounty on his head? It's it particuarly offensive to Shiite or is it hated with the Sunni's as well?

Apparently the part which caused offence was a dream sequence where there was a human form of Mohammed who possessed human flaws. Worthy of the (attempted) murder of the author in anyone's books.

Auld Reekin'
2 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

:cornette:

What colour's the sky on your planet and how many moons do you see in the night sky?  :alien:

Shooter McGavin

People who believe in religion have to be up there with the daftest c**** you’ll ever come across.

Well past it’s sell by date.

2022 and people still live and die by their belief of a big magic man in the sky

23 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Apparently the part which caused offence was a dream sequence where there was a human form of Mohammed who possessed human flaws. Worthy of the (attempted) murder of the author in anyone's books.

Of course it isn't. But don't pretend that we don't target people from the Muslim faith for targetted murder. Daily.

Jambo_jim2001
5 hours ago, Cade said:

In surgery now.

34 years ago.

Free gallon of diesel?

4 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

People who believe in religion have to be up there with the daftest c**** you’ll ever come across.

2022 and people still live and die by their belief of a big magic man in the sky

How's those Christmas holidays?

The west knows no bounds. Now they've seen the light on Climate or religion after centuries of exploiting other people. Everyone else is to stop. No, you got to where you are through being *****, so feck off and let the rest do the same.

8 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

This. 

Konrad von Carstein
11 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I thought you'd peaked with your left wing judiciary garbage but nope. :lol:

Shooter McGavin
5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

How's those Christmas holidays?

Hardly a religious holiday nowadays, is it?

It’s been completely hijacked by people with common sense who see it as time-off from your work, an opportunity to spend time with your friends and family, drink as much as you like and put on a few pounds.

And rightly so.

Happy Birthday, Jesus 😂

just to actually address the topic rather than posting about drag queens (the actual ****?)…

Reported that he might lose an eye and can’t speak. Liver punctured and nerves damaged in his arm.

Aye initial reports from the hospital are not painting a nice picture.

Certainly life changing injuries and we may likely never see him in public again.

Unknown user
10 hours ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

Free gallon of diesel?

My car broke down after filling the tank last week, talk about a kick in the stanes and a slap in the face at the same time.

Unknown user
8 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

just to actually address the topic rather than posting about drag queens (the actual ****?)…

Reported that he might lose an eye and can’t speak. Liver punctured and nerves damaged in his arm.

Aye I've not been taking this seriously. It's pretty mental, poor guy.

Dennis Denuto
2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Hope the poor guy's situation improves.

Think I'll download The Satanic Verses for my Kindle this evening.

I think that would be an excellent response to the attack, we should all do the same

5 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I don't understand well enough. Could you please explain another way? Like, could you draw a picture...

Je ne suis pas Charlie.

29 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Imagine being that fecking deranged that, not only would you object to criticism about something you cannot prove, you would encourage others to do harm to someone who is simply speaking their mind and has caused you no personal injury yourself. That's not religion; that's insanity. Anyone who cannot tolerate criticism of their views is, IMO, clearly exhibiting insecurity about the beliefs themselves.

Or are kinda brainwashed.

31 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Imagine being that fecking deranged that, not only would you object to criticism about something you cannot prove, you would encourage others to do harm to someone who is simply speaking their mind and has caused you no personal injury yourself. That's not religion; that's insanity. Anyone who cannot tolerate criticism of their views is, IMO, clearly exhibiting insecurity about the beliefs themselves.

Almost as deranged as coming on a thread about it and going 'aye but what about the pantomime dame who got beaten up?!?' 😂😂

31 minutes ago, jonesy said:

It's shocking and I sincerely hope he can have a decent life still. 

The Satanic Verses were before my time, what is it actually about?

8 minutes ago, jonesy said:

No idea. Which probably puts me at about the same level of knowledge as those contemptible morons who have been protesting about it for years and the equal parts evil and thick scum who killed his Japanese translator and targeted his Italian and Norwegian ones, too. Doubt many of these 'defenders of the faith' have actually read it.

These so called 'defenders of the faith' don't read this kinda stuff, they burn it instead.

The row about the 'satanic verses' is in a nutshell the belief by some muslims that it contains blasphemous writings.

14 hours ago, Shankland said:

The BBC is left wing now? Jesus, have a word with yourself man.

The truth is there is an extreme element in the west and within the Middle East. 

We (by which mean the west), carved up the Middle East, causing sectarian hatred across it, whilst being directly responsible for millions (literally millions) of deaths.

Iran - whilst I don't agree with their bounty against an author who I've stated I like - can quite easily (and rightly) accuse us of. How many of their people have we (the west and Israel) assaniated? 

You, in my opinion, like many of right wing lunatics, are part of the problem.

Now I'll have a rant on the Tory thread as I need to let one without a ban 😂

Wasting your time.

KB has one dimension when it comes to things like this. 
Happy to take their oil ( look up BP, folks ) but a “ backward shithole “ on here.

The Iranian government have been against this fatwa for 25 years. A nutter doesn’t speak for a nation, especially one with a huge history, like Persia.

8 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I'm not registered. Fancy a copy and paste?

If you press “I’ll Try Later” you should get to read it. 

I would’ve copied and pasted but on my phone it’s trying to copy adverts and all sorts. 

12 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

:spoton:

Konrad von Carstein
11 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I'm not registered. Fancy a copy and paste?

My phone is being an arse! Is there not an option to register later? I usually click that if it comes up.

Failing that I will do it later, unless someone else c&p's it for you.

Can someone explain to me how large parts of this thread have turned into a what-aboutery with the West? 

For all our bad points, I really don’t see why that makes state encouraged attacks on authors, journalists and anyone else accused of blasphemy okay? 

Edited by BlueRiver
Changed “sanctioned” to “encouraged”

30 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Interesting...

An article that makes many strong points. The ECtHR judgement a few years ago being a particularly low point for me amongst many.

Can you imagine if it was decided in the UK or Europe more broadly that The Life of Brian was blasphemous and it was a hate crime to discuss Christianity in such a manner? Me neither. Many seem intensely relaxed with this dual treatment though. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Salman Rushdie attacked and hospitalised ( updated )