Ginnelly: The Saviour of Hearts

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Just catching up on some threads whilst making tea.

Seems as if Ginnelly is the saviour of Hearts.

Since when? 

This is hysterical whataboutery… 😂

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Hardy’s Dug

• Bazzas right boot

• Pasquale for King

• soonbe110

He probably was the correct sub instead of Halliday, Paulo Sergio did it enough times. 

Don't think he's the answer though. Too anonymous and passive. 

Neither him or GMS the answer. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
Just now, OTT said:

He probably was the correct sub instead of Halliday, Paulo Sergio did it enough times. 

Don't think he's the answer though. Too anonymous and passive. 

Neither him or GMS the answer. 

When did Sergio bring on Ginnelly? 

1 minute ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

When did Sergio bring on Ginnelly? 

I'm talking about how often he'd chuck on Suso to defend a lead. Best defence is a good offence and nothing worse when you're pushing for an equaliser than having a speedy winger breaking away. 

kingantti1874

I think the point is we’d have been better making an attacking sub.  

big fan of what neilson has achieved, but it’s a fair criticism.

Euan Henderson also needs a chance at some points otherwise what’s the point

Tom Hardy’s Dug
Just now, OTT said:

I'm talking about how often he'd chuck on Suso to defend a lead. Best defence is a good offence and nothing worse when you're pushing for an equaliser than having a speedy winger breaking away. 

Suso was effective though….

Tom Hardy’s Dug
Just now, kingantti1874 said:

I’m a fan of Henderson and thinks he deserves more of a chance.

But, do I think him not being subbed on is why we drew 1-1?

Not a chance. Hibs did **** all for the last 20 mins and we switched off for 30 seconds. Individual mistakes not management mistakes.

Just now, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Can only pish with the cock you've got - @kingantti1874 is right, issue is making the attacking substitution to push hibs onto the back foot instead of inviting them on even more.

Neilsons done fantastic for us, but it looks like an error on his part. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
Just now, OTT said:

Can only pish with the cock you've got - @kingantti1874 is right, issue is making the attacking substitution to push hibs onto the back foot instead of inviting them on even more.

Neilsons done fantastic for us, but it looks like an error on his part. 

I might have agreed with you if we were defending our tits off after the changes but we weren’t. 

The tactics were working just fine until various defenders forgot to do their jobs for 20 seconds.

We weren’t pegged back in any way for the last 20 minutes.

Naisys Tackle
4 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Not a chance. Hibs did **** all for the last 20 mins and we switched off for 30 seconds. Individual mistakes not management mistakes.

There was no out ball.

They had 3 chances in injury time.  Shape was all over the shop.

Not a saviour but at least an option. 

I might have agreed with you if we were defending our tits off after the changes but we weren’t. 

The tactics were working just fine until various defenders forgot to do their jobs for 20 seconds.

I thought we were dominating until around the 70 minute mark, Boyle came on, we changed shape and then it was like we were shutting up shop and trying to hit them on the break. 10 seconds and we'd have won, so its fine margins but I do think the Halliday sub was a mistake. Gino not good enough for us now, but his pace might have offered something to buy us the time to see out the game. Instead we got deeper and deeper. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 minute ago, Robbies Tackle said:

There was no out ball.

They had 3 chances in injury time.  Shape was all over the shop.

Not a saviour but at least an option. 

How would Ginnelly have helped our shape?

You know that we had 3 decent chances to score after we changed formation, including Atkinson for example?

How would Ginnelly have improved upon that?

I don’t get it to be honest. Ginnelly had been increasingly slated by fans for the last 6 months now he is the pawn used to suck Neilson.

Just admit it I guess.

The amount of folk who think the anonymous GMS, Ginnley or Henderson meant we wouldn't lose a goal is baffling.

It just a witch hunt to make them feel better. Any goal in any game you could point out a defender who should have could have done more. Time to get over it folks.

kingantti1874
7 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

the outcome may have been the same. But we had them on the ropes and I think would have been better keeping them there. Putting real pace in Ginelly / Henderson up top would have stopped then flooding forward.

it absolutely boils my piss when folk are 2 faced, crawl out their holes and slaughter Neilson without recognising the big picture . But I do think it was an error 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
2 minutes ago, OTT said:

I thought we were dominating until around the 70 minute mark, Boyle came on, we changed shape and then it was like we were shutting up shop and trying to hit them on the break. 10 seconds and we'd have won, so its fine margins but I do think the Halliday sub was a mistake. Gino not good enough for us now, but his pace might have offered something to buy us the time to see out the game. Instead we got deeper and deeper. 

Yep subbing on the guy that won us the last league game against them was quite obviously the wrong call 😂😂

If he was aware of just how effective he can be he would be great.Unfortunately for most of his Hearts career he has forgot it.

People know that Smith came off injured I presume?

Nah mate Nielson just fancied a change of shape coz he shat his pant etc

Tom Hardy’s Dug
3 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

the outcome may have been the same. But we had them on the ropes and I think would have been better keeping them there. Putting real pace in Ginelly / Henderson up top would have stopped then flooding forward.

it absolutely boils my piss when folk are 2 faced, crawl out their holes and slaughter Neilson without recognising the big picture . But I do think it was an error 

As I said I rate Henderson and I might have thought he could have come on for the last 10 mins.

But you know what boils my piss? 

People that slate Henderson (the majority of this website) using him as a pawn to shout their mouths off about Neilson.

You’ll do well to find 10% of this board that rate Henderson - but a lot more than that our now saying he should have been on and we’d have won if he was. 

That’s the nonsense that needs called out.

And/or Ginnelly who most people realise and accept is on the way out - with no complaints it should be added/

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

Naisys Tackle
6 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

How would Ginnelly have helped our shape?

You know that we had 3 decent chances to score after we changed formation, including Atkinson for example?

How would Ginnelly have improved upon that?

I don’t get it to be honest. Ginnelly had been increasingly slated by fans for the last 6 months now he is the pawn used to suck Neilson.

Just admit it I guess.

He would have given us a fast out ball for me even if it wasnt to create anything.  Was just to stop their defence pushing up and them constantly hitting it back on top.  Law of averages say one time we would switch off/them get lucky.  Hendo could have done the same.  Dunno why we had the guys on the bench. 

Edited by Robbies Tackle

jambo_4_eva
18 minutes ago, OTT said:

We won the cup but finished 5th under him. You'd be wanting Robbie sacked if we finished 5th. 30 seconds from the win. A mistake and Bad luck cost us the game. Only reason folk are bothered is because it's v hibs. 

I think we all hope for the Gino of the 2020 cup final, using his pace, knocking the ball past his man, having defender running back towards their on goal. We know he can do it, why he doesn't is the hard part to answer.

12 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Stop that, This is JKB.

We don't let facts get in the way of a good pant pishing here.

Fans who know what they’re talking about (not many, I concede) would say Ginnelly was the correct sub but that’s only because he was the best attacking option. Not because he’s became great all of a sudden. Replacing Boyce for an attacker would not have been an ‘attacking’ substitution, it merely would’ve been keeping the status quo. Giving them something to still think about and stretch the game. When Halliday came on the Hibs players/management would’ve taken that as an admission that we were done with going forward and inviting them on us. 

33 minutes ago, OTT said:

Suso was in a different league to Ginelly literally and on the football pitch.  No way Ginelly could play in La Liga 1 or 2 

34 minutes ago, OTT said:

If we wanted someone to come on and hold the ball up top GMS is a much better option than Ginelly 

35 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Making up the numbers for the squad and Europe until we sign more players - that’s the point. Will be out on loan by end Aug if we sign one or two front men in next three weeks. 

24 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Think only you and I spotted that judging by the posts on here. 

Just now, soonbe110 said:

If we wanted someone to come on and hold the ball up top GMS is a much better option than Ginelly 

1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

Suso was in a different league to Ginelly literally and on the football pitch.  No way Ginelly could play in La Liga 1 or 2 

I'm not saying that Gino is even close to the same level, the point was that Sergio would stick on a skillful and tricky winger with bags of pace to create problems for the other team. 

GMS then! My point was a winger sub made more sense than Halliday. 

I'm not shitting on Halliday or Neilson, both have done the business for us, Hibs were forcing us back and we were becoming more and more defensive. Putting on a pacy winger who could cause problems and perhaps force them back in case he breaks with the ball would have been good. 

The goal was a collection of errors, but I don't think we helped ourselves. 

25 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Didn’t  think it was an error at the time and don’t now.  Smith was injured, he didn’t have confidence (rightly so imo) to put Atkinson or Sibbick in at rb in a back four so he changed the shape to try to make us more solid. By and large it worked until Rowles, Halkett , Cochrane, Halliday and Haring all switched off at the same time with 20 secs to go.  Shit happens but none of the stuff  that happened with 20 secs to came from the two subs he is getting pelters  for. 

Auld Reekin'
5 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Fans who know what they’re talking about (not many, I concede) would say Ginnelly was the correct sub but that’s only because he was the best attacking option. Not because he’s became great all of a sudden. Replacing Boyce for an attacker would not have been an ‘attacking’ substitution, it merely would’ve been keeping the status quo. Giving them something to still think about and stretch the game. When Halliday came on the Hibs players/management would’ve taken that as an admission that we were done with going forward and inviting them on us. 

:icon14:

Ginnelly, Henderson, or GMS would've been preferable substitutes to Halliday, for the very reasons you, Big-O, and others have mentioned. Bringing on Halliday for Boyce was an error of judgement by Neilson, particularly in retrospect but it also seemed so at the time, but - hey - we all make 'em...

20 minutes ago, Sir Craig Gordon said:

I think we all hope for the Gino of the 2020 cup final, using his pace, knocking the ball past his man, having defender running back towards their on goal. We know he can do it, why he doesn't is the hard part to answer.

The same guy that missed great chances to win the 2020 cup final. There isn’t a footballer in there. 

5 minutes ago, OTT said:

I'm not saying that Gino is even close to the same level, the point was that Sergio would stick on a skillful and tricky winger with bags of pace to create problems for the other team. 

I'm not shitting on Halliday or Neilson, both have done the business for us, Hibs were forcing us back and we were becoming more and more defensive. Putting on a pacy winger who could cause problems and perhaps force them back in case he breaks with the ball would have been good. 

Could be.  We have no idea what Halliday’s instructions were. I suspect he was told to get on and get tight to Boyle. If I’m right he failed. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
6 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Didn’t  think it was an error at the time and don’t now.  Smith was injured, he didn’t have confidence (rightly so imo) to put Atkinson or Sibbick in at rb in a back four so he changed the shape to try to make us more solid. By and large it worked until Rowles, Halkett , Cochrane, Halliday and Haring all switched off at the same time with 20 secs to go.  Shit happens but none of the stuff  that happened with 20 secs to came from the two subs he is getting pelters  for. 

Yep. Correct answer.

After the change Atkinson was very unlucky not to put us 2 up. 

In fact any Hearts fan with a brain would know that Atkinson is a more attacking option than Smith…

But he needs extra defensive protection behind him.

Halkett left the shape and failed to break up the attack. He calls the defensive organisation and therefore this meant him both losing his position and his field of vision that would allow him to effectively marshal the other defenders. We had no other senior defender on the pitch. I don’t see Gino dropping in and filling this role. 

i dont think the fast break/force them to leave men back argument is valid. We did manufacture a late break. We tried to score rather than go to the corner. Gino is hard let clinical. In the last ten seconds, they would have had everyone up regardless of our counter threat. Losing two nil would have made no difference. 

We could have had more late breaks but either a) Hibs hacked us down around half way, or b) Craig correctly ate up time holding on to the ball. Gino doesn’t help in either case. 

We needed to kill ten more seconds than we did. AFIK, nobody took a card for killing time, so we could have slowed it more than we did. 

Even then, it is an individual error for Halkett to charge out the shape and fail to get the ball. 

Gino doesn’t solve this. 

44 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Yep. Correct answer.

After the change Atkinson was very unlucky not to put us 2 up. 

In fact any Hearts fan with a brain would know that Atkinson is a more attacking option than Smith…

But he needs extra defensive protection behind him.

Back four please 🙏 

Bungalow Bill
1 hour ago, Snedds76 said:

He's dugshite and should be punted ASAP along with gms who's also dugshite! 

He is, and I agree that both should be punted. 

But, with Shankland completely spent I’d have put Gino on and told him to just play-on the last defender. That’s not even a big ask for a ‘dugshit’ player. 

Getintaethem

All the criticism of RN’s tactics and subs, but the bottom line is we have a goal kick with 45 seconds to play and instead of keeping possession and drawing a foul we punt it long, lose possession and switch off.  That’s on the players in my book and our captain who should have known better.

Jambo in Bathgate
13 minutes ago, Getintaethem said:

All the criticism of RN’s tactics and subs, but the bottom line is we have a goal kick with 45 seconds to play and instead of keeping possession and drawing a foul we punt it long, lose possession and switch off.  That’s on the players in my book and our captain who should have known better.

Exactly poor game management by our players in the last minute of extra time. The whole team no individuals are to blame. 

2 hours ago, OTT said:

Having an out ball wouldn't have stopped hibs from pushing up in stoppage time.

In stoppage time in a derby you're going all out with 5 mins left if you're losing, no matter who is still on the pitch.

If we lost the goal on 80/85 mins, then sure you could say we invited pressure. But we didn't. We were quite secure at that point.

ShortmanRossco
3 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Just catching up on some threads whilst making tea.

Seems as if Ginnelly is the saviour of Hearts.

Since when? 

This is hysterical whataboutery… 😂

Not the saviour of Hearts by a long chalk but let's revisit Sunday:

Hearts defend attack > Hearts get the ball forward > Hearts have two knackered strikers that can't close down the long ball > Porteous can bring ball out at leisure

Ginnelly comes on > Hearts defend attack > Hearts get ball forward > Ginnely who is murder but can run fast chases ball > Porteous who a) is completely reckless and already carded b) turns like the Isle of Man Ferry and c) is hideously ugly....runs after ball but Ginnely beats him to it.......

It's all rather basic tbh. Nobody is calling Gino a world beater but the correct sub in that scenario? Absolutely.

1 minute ago, ShortmanRossco said:

Not the saviour of Hearts by a long chalk but let's revisit Sunday:

Hearts defend attack > Hearts get the ball forward > Hearts have two knackered strikers that can't close down the long ball > Porteous can bring ball out at leisure

Ginnelly comes on > Hearts defend attack > Hearts get ball forward > Ginnely who is murder but can run fast chases ball > Porteous who a) is completely reckless and already carded b) turns like the Isle of Man Ferry and c) is hideously ugly....runs after ball but Ginnely beats him to it.......

It's all rather basic tbh. Nobody is calling Gino a world beater but the correct sub in that scenario? Absolutely.

He looked decent in the Championship but has done nothing in the Premiership to suggest he would have been effective when Hearts were under pressure.

In many sub and starts he has been ineffective.

Hackney Hearts
4 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

His goals to games ratio wasn't as good as Ginnelly's...

ArcticJambo

Gino wins the race to one clearance in added time, we take all three points.  There are of course other perms ....

Just sayin'. He's not the answer this season, however.

7 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

His goals to games ratio wasn't as good as Ginnelly's...

But he was better. 

And won the cup. 

If Gino had half of Suso’s self belief he would be a much more useful player. 

4 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Yeah we were.

Hackney Hearts
8 minutes ago, jager man said:

Yeah we were.

No we weren't. We had another 3 or 4 good chances to score and looked comfortable. Hibs didn't seriously threaten until injury time.