Congratulations Ness United

Boof

Watt-Zeefuik
3 minutes ago, Boof said:

First league title since 1966.

Shetland league? There are so many places in Scotland named Ness that I get confused.

1 minute ago, Led Tasso said:

Shetland league? There are so many places in Scotland named Ness that I get confused.

Yes - Shetland. Play summer football due to shitey weather and lack of daylight in winter. 

Abiola Dauda
7 minutes ago, Boof said:

First league title since 1966.

Random question but are you a taxi driver in Shetland? If so I think you gave me a lift from Sunburgh a few years ago haha

2 minutes ago, Abiola Dauda said:

Random question but are you a taxi driver in Shetland? If so I think you gave me a lift from Sunburgh a few years ago haha

I'm not, but I did play a taxi driver in an episode of Shetland! If you're a rugby referee I could easily have given you a lift from Sumburgh to Lerwick as I did that for a few years to help out the club - but definitely not a full-time taxi driver. 

All roads lead to Gorgie

Any pacey strikers or box to box midfielders? 😄

5 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Any pacey strikers or box to box midfielders? 😄

Well - pacier than me. That also applies to the keeper and the management team :lol: 

Think our midfield department might be too busy shipping lambs shortly so probably not available.

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 minute ago, Boof said:

Well - pacier than me. That also applies to the keeper and the management team :lol: 

Think our midfield department might be too busy shipping lambs shortly so probably not available.

Baa

Kalamazoo Jambo
21 minutes ago, Boof said:

I'm not, but I did play a taxi driver in an episode of Shetland!

0C883462-98A7-4036-94AD-E26FD914B700.jpeg

I’ve been meaning to watch this - what episode?

6 minutes ago, Locky said:

Does Shetland have any teams in the pyramid?

Not at the moment and, to be honest, not sure it'll ever happen.

Rugby-wise we play in the TENNENT'S MEN’S CALEDONIA NORTH REGION LEAGUE DIVISION 2 and there were a hell of a lot of hoops to jump through to get to that level.

9 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

I’ve been meaning to watch this - what episode?

Been in quite a few episodes - usually as one of an angry mob shouting at one of the supposed bad folk :lol: 

Though this was Series 1 when they tried to shoehorn every single Shetland stereotype into the show and I was cheerfully singing the Up Helly Aa song...also, when I'm an extra, I try to get the Hearts scarf into shot as much as possible :D

image.png.067664fca17acac4476f0e52047b7cd3.png

And honest - that's NOT me getting lifted...just happened to be walking past Sandy and Tosh.
image.png.52432c7829373bbc0461bb6a127356fa.png

16 minutes ago, Locky said:

The Shetland select side has looked into the possibility of it. However, the costs and travel difficulties make it very hard. It’s a lot to ask of boys to be going away every Friday on the boat and not getting back til Sunday morning. Try clearing that with the wife! Unfortunately mainland teams don’t want to travel up here. 

Kalamazoo Jambo
4 minutes ago, Boof said:

Been in quite a few episodes - usually as one of an angry mob shouting at one of the supposed bad folk :lol: 

PHM behaviour right there!

19 minutes ago, Boof said:

Not at the moment and, to be honest, not sure it'll ever happen.

Rugby-wise we play in the TENNENT'S MEN’S CALEDONIA NORTH REGION LEAGUE DIVISION 2 and there were a hell of a lot of hoops to jump through to get to that level.

See Orkney have a team playing the league below Highland level. That would be some away day!

Would be quite interesting to see how they'd got in if they played in the leagues. What's the football demographics like in Shetland? Same as anywhere in Scotland, littered with arse cheek fans no doubt.

15 minutes ago, jamboy1982 said:

The Shetland select side has looked into the possibility of it. However, the costs and travel difficulties make it very hard. It’s a lot to ask of boys to be going away every Friday on the boat and not getting back til Sunday morning. Try clearing that with the wife! Unfortunately mainland teams don’t want to travel up here. 

Have planes not made it that far up north yet?😉

1 minute ago, Locky said:

See Orkney have a team playing the league below Highland level. That would be some away day!

I believe from the rugby side of things (could be inaccurate, but I don't think so) that the SRU assisted clubs in their travel expenses for their trips north. Some clubs took it seriously and came with strong sides, some saw it as a once-a-year mini-tour and played hard but went for the fancy dress shenanigans afterwards. Normally games would KO at noon to ensure they'd finish in winter daylight and with the ferry leaving at 7pm they'd have enough time to have some scran and pints before heading off. Some clubs (or possibly only one) overdid things and found themselves banned from future ferry journeys. For away trips every fortnight Shetland would sometimes have to scrabble around for numbers by summoning ex-players who'd gone away to uni, but always tried to fulfil every fixture.

Would be quite interesting to see how they'd got in if they played in the leagues.

Shetland beat Orkney 8-0 in Orkney a week or two ago! Would push the standard so much higher if folk could get regular games against higher-quality opposition but family life, travel difficulties and all the rest of it would make it hard to get our best XI for every game.

What's the football demographics like in Shetland? Same as anywhere in Scotland, littered with arse cheek fans no doubt.

Mostly OF, Sheep fairly well-supported, us and Hibs probably reasonably equal.

Tommy Brown
23 minutes ago, Boof said:

Though this was Series 1 when they tried to shoehorn every single Shetland stereotype into the show and I was cheerfully singing the Up Helly Aa song...also, when I'm an extra, I try to get the Hearts scarf into shot as much as possible :D

And honest - that's NOT me getting lifted...just happened to be walking past Sandy and Tosh.

And there was me thinking your profile picture was you.☹️

27 minutes ago, jamboy1982 said:

5 minutes ago, Boof said:

I believe from the rugby side of things (could be inaccurate, but I don't think so) that the SRU assisted clubs in their travel expenses for their trips north. Some clubs took it seriously and came with strong sides, some saw it as a once-a-year mini-tour and played hard but went for the fancy dress shenanigans afterwards. Normally games would KO at noon to ensure they'd finish in winter daylight and with the ferry leaving at 7pm they'd have enough time to have some scran and pints before heading off. Some clubs (or possibly only one) overdid things and found themselves banned from future ferry journeys. For away trips every fortnight Shetland would sometimes have to scrabble around for numbers by summoning ex-players who'd gone away to uni, but always tried to fulfil every fixture.

Shetland beat Orkney 8-0 in Orkney a week or two ago! Would push the standard so much higher if folk could get regular games against higher-quality opposition but family life, travel difficulties and all the rest of it would make it hard to get our best XI for every game.

Mostly OF, Sheep fairly well-supported, us and Hibs probably reasonably equal.

Yeah never really thought about the logistics of the travelling tbf. Obviously I know its a hell of a trip, but never really took into consideration the ferry times and stuff. Would be great if even just as a token thing, Orkney and Shetland were allowed to field a team in the Scottish Cup.

Off topic I know BUT Campbeltown FP joined the pyramid last season playing in the lowest tier under the West of Scotland league.
On Saturday they had a game at Threave Rovers who have just moved to the West League. It's a 436 mile round trip but Campbeltown took the ferry to Ardrossan as a shortcut. FT Threave 4-0 Campbeltown

8 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

And there was me thinking your profile picture was you.☹️

glad I'm not the only one 

Tommy Brown
4 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Off topic I know BUT Campbeltown FP joined the pyramid last season playing in the lowest tier under the West of Scotland league.
On Saturday they had a game at Threave Rovers who have just moved to the West League. It's a 436 mile round trip but Campbeltown took the ferry to Ardrossan as a shortcut. FT Threave 4-0 Campbeltown

They were in an amateur league back In the 80s. Dedridge played them in that league.

Good 4 hour or more journey back then 

Just now, Tommy Brown said:

They were in an amateur league back In the 80s. Dedridge played them in that league.

Good 4 hour or more journey back then 

Ooofft.
Harthill played them last year when they tried playing in the West leagues. Twice home and twice away. Harthill moved back to the East leagues this year 🙂

11 minutes ago, RobboM said:

My mate is from Campbeltown and played for them when they were amateurs. He just moved back home after 6 years up here. Think he trains with them still but don't think he's played but he did play in a few games last season. Mind asking him who their 'local' rival is and he said Oban. :lol: 

19 minutes ago, GYL said:

Well done Ness, that your local team Boof?

Yep. Played for 1st team - 2nd and 3rd too - and managed 2nd team for a while.

Back when I was 16 I played a Shetland high school in the semi final of the Scottish cup.

We played them in Dingwall. We came up the day of expecting to pump them and they had been there for a day or two preparing.

We got beat by a goal but were much a better team. Just lost due to the bad preparations. They lost to lasswade in the final and we best lasswade in the league the following week 5-1.

Long story short, I highly doubt a Shetland select would even compete in the EOS conference level,

but good on Ness for winning the league! 

8 hours ago, Dayman said:

Back when I was 16 I played a Shetland high school in the semi final of the Scottish cup.

We played them in Dingwall. We came up the day of expecting to pump them and they had been there for a day or two preparing.

We got beat by a goal but were much a better team. Just lost due to the bad preparations. They lost to lasswade in the final and we best lasswade in the league the following week 5-1.

Long story short, I highly doubt a Shetland select would even compete in the EOS conference level,

but good on Ness for winning the league! 

I have to disagree. I played at a reasonable level in and around edinburgh. Been in shetland for over a decade now and a Shetland 11 would easy compete in the east of Scotland league. Maybe not the premier division but with a bit more experience they would. 

John Gentleman
11 hours ago, Locky said:

Aye. They're called 'The Mummies'.

Harry Potter
11 hours ago, Boof said:

Brilliant Boof, i love the shetland series.

Seen most of the Shetland teams play, from mid 70s but not seen a game for around 6 years. I do remember a lad called Leask that played for Berwick Rangers.

2 minutes ago, poultry said:

Seen most of the Shetland teams play, from mid 70s but not seen a game for around 6 years. I do remember a lad called Leask that played for Berwick Rangers.

Murray Leask, he was a right good player. 

35 minutes ago, jamboy1982 said:

Murray Leask, he was a right good player. 

That's the lad, couldn't remember his first name. Cheers.