Olivia Newton-John

chubby1973

Dame Olivia Newton-John has died at the age of 73, her husband has said.

Her family said in a statement that she "passed away peacefully at her ranch in southern California this morning, surrounded by family and friends".

They added: "Olivia has been a symbol of triumphs and hope for over 30 years sharing her journey with breast cancer.

"Her healing inspiration and pioneering experience with plant medicine continues with the Olivia Newton-John Foundation Fund, dedicated to researching plant medicine and cancer."

JudyJudyJudy

Sad news. I recall queuing 5 times to watch " Grease" at the ABC on Lothian Road.   I was 23 at the time like....only joking. I did sneak it to see it too and constantly played the vinyl in the family home strutting my stuff to " Summer nights" ....

I was more Rizzo than Danny even then....., :) 

Shanks said no

My first favourite lady, had this poster pinned to the ceiling above my bed before I moved on to Debbie Harry.

RIP Olivia

Olivia Newton John In...Grease US poster (606946)

JudyJudyJudy

In 2017, Newton-John revealed the breast cancer she had first suffered in 1992 had returned andhad spread to her spine. She also revealed she’d had a second cancer diagnosis in 2013 but had kept it quiet. She said she believed she would “win over it” and called upon her native Australia to adopt the laws of the US state where she then lived, California, to allow the medicinal use of marijuana.

“My dream is that, in Australia soon, it will be available to all the cancer patients and people going through cancer that causes pain,” she said, adding that though she had moments of despair, she had had “an incredible career” and “nothing to complain about”.

It really needs to be legalised in the UK too. 

Jambo-Jimbo
32 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

No 😥

She was one of a teenage KvC's crushes.

She was one of mine as well, hell I think most teenage boys had a crush on Olivia.

Sad news.

ArcticJambo
28 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Sad news. I recall queuing 5 times to watch " Grease" at the ABC on Lothian Road.   I was 23 at the time like....only joking. I did sneak it to see it too and constantly played the vinyl in the family home strutting my stuff to " Summer nights" ....

I was more Rizzo than Danny even then....., :) 

Yeah, Grease is one of my top films; I've seen it more than any other, by a long way!  Sad to hear of her passing.  Rizzo was my crush too.  Anyway, ....

'Tell me about it ... stud!

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Yeah, Grease is one of my top films; I've seen it more than any other, by a long way!  Sad to hear of her passing.  Rizzo was my crush too.  Anyway, ....

'Tell me about it ... stud!

Yes Rizzo was way more exciting than Sandy ! I loved the film and the songs . Have sang “ summer nights” many a time at karokoe 

2E429581-48AE-4632-A15D-51122A83AF4D.gif

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

ArcticJambo
1 minute ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yes Rizzo was way more exciting than Sandy ! 

2E429581-48AE-4632-A15D-51122A83AF4D.gif

Almost always been a brunette for me. Dirty blondes at a stretch.

jack D and coke

Jeez….she was my first proper crush in my life I think, Grease. Gorgeous…
I thought it was for pishing oor a dyke until Olivia brought it home to me what it was really for. 
RIP

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Looks like we've found the real beauty school dropout.

Well she is a good age now. Can’t expect people to still look stunning when they age . Getting old is a treasure denied to many I feel . 

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

Ageing is cruel :lol: 

It’s better than the alternative 

Bizarrely hadn’t heard any of the songs from Grease or even thought about it for years and watched a programme today about top selling songs of the 70’s and there were two in the top five and thoroughly enjoyed them. 

jack D and coke
3 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

It’s better than the alternative 

Up to a point aye. Not looks you’re right but  there comes a point where being old is horrendous for me. 
My old man is where I know he’d not want to be if he had a choice. 

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Up to a point aye. Not looks you’re right but  there comes a point where being old is horrendous for me. 
My old man is where I know he’d not want to be if he had a choice. 

Yes quality of life is important in old age., in fact at any age but certainly more problematic when getting very old 

jack D and coke
5 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yes quality of life is important in old age., in fact at any age but certainly more problematic when getting very old 

My dad was the fittest man I knew. 
It’s went south for him last few years with dementia. Lost his legs too. I mean he can’t walk anymore too not literally lol. 
Sad AF man. 

Edited by jack D and coke

3 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I finally feel qualified to make a comment, I am old my life really has no quality at all, loneliness, lack of productive future, no fresh motive for ambition, few old friends left. Its different for us all,  a lot of my problems are self inflicted, in the latter years my wife and I were inseperable, we lost quite a few years ago our daughter who had become our mother, our son is a fine man, but he is a single man lost his job at the start of Covid when his employer used the Covid temporary layoffs to close a department and create full unemployment. Now live in a world that has totally changed, China Russia, America playing hard man with weapons that will destroy the whole world. And worst of all go out to do some shopping and when finished paying the sales person says bye have a nice day. Old age is no gift, mebbe we should have an official expiry date.😇

ArcticJambo
14 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I finally feel qualified to make a comment, I am old my life really has no quality at all, loneliness, lack of productive future, no fresh motive for ambition, few old friends left. Its different for us all,  a lot of my problems are self inflicted, in the latter years my wife and I were inseperable, we lost quite a few years ago our daughter who had become our mother, our son is a fine man, but he is a single man lost his job at the start of Covid when his employer used the Covid temporary layoffs to close a department and create full unemployment. Now live in a world that has totally changed, China Russia, America playing hard man with weapons that will destroy the whole world. And worst of all go out to do some shopping and when finished paying the sales person says bye have a nice day. Old age is no gift, mebbe we should have an official expiry date.😇

On your last point, while it's probably an insincere platitude you're encountering, I find that I hardly ever receive a goodbye in return once concluding my /our business from most of those I interact with on a daily baisis. Seems a generational thing in the UK, imo.

Edited by ArcticJambo

JudyJudyJudy
58 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

My dad was the fittest man I knew. 
It’s went south for him last few years with dementia. Lost his legs too. I mean he can’t walk anymore too not literally lol. 
Sad AF man. 

That’s heart breaking . I really feel for you . Dementia is such a cruel illness . Sorry to hear this . 

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Screenshot_20220808-215413_Chrome.jpg

I seem to remember that Stockard Channing (think that's her name) was well into her 30s when playing the teenage Rizzo in Grease. ONJ was late 20s.

One of my favourite musicals.

jack D and coke
51 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Bob I think you’re lucky tbh. I’ve read hundreds of your posts and you’ve had some life pal, lived more lives than most of us. I don’t know how to say anything to help you get over the loss of your mrs but you sound some man to me. 
Keep your head up pal. 

jack D and coke
8 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

That’s heart breaking . I really feel for you . Dementia is such a cruel illness . Sorry to hear this . 

For a while I used to get angry with him. He wasn’t nice to my mum but I know it wasn’t his fault. 
My heart breaks for him now. 
My old man gave me every chance in the world he really did. 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Sharpie said:

I suppose their pros and cons to old age ? You have plenty happy memories of your wife and daughter which seem to fill some of the void you feel now ? I hope so anyway ? I was watching a documentary the other night there about Debbie Reynolds , it was about her death She had been in I’ll health for a few years and also bedridden . She died the day after her daughter Carrie Fisher died ( unexpectedly at 60 years old ) . The consultant on the programme felt that she just willed herself to die. She just wanted to die after the unbearable death of her daughter . 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

JudyJudyJudy
27 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I seem to remember that Stockard Channing (think that's her name) was well into her 30s when playing the teenage Rizzo in Grease. ONJ was late 20s.

One of my favourite musicals.

Oh yes she was 33 !! Great actress actually . Probably the most talented in that cast . 

JudyJudyJudy
20 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

For a while I used to get angry with him. He wasn’t nice to my mum but I know it wasn’t his fault. 

👍👍

3 hours ago, FWJ said:

Her grandfather was the [Nobel laureate] physicist Max Born.

I think there is a road named after him at Kings buildings.

J.T.F.Robertson
1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

Bob I think you’re lucky tbh. I’ve read hundreds of your posts and you’ve had some life pal, lived more lives than most of us. I don’t know how to say anything to help you get over the loss of your mrs but you sound some man to me. 
Keep your head up pal. 

Genuinely sorry to hear about your dad.

On top of that it feels like there's hardly a day goes by now but a part of my (our) past bites the dust.

ONJ was not for me musically, but was cute as ...... 

And you're on the money about Bob.

Konrad von Carstein
7 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Sympathies to you and your dad.

Lost my mum to Alzheimer's, the disease killed her but she wasn't my mum for many years before she finally passed.

She would have hated what she became.

10 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Well she is a good age now. Can’t expect people to still look stunning when they age . Getting old is a treasure denied to many I feel . 

well put

9 hours ago, Sharpie said:

How are you getting on the in auld folks complex?