Favourite Derby at Easter Road

martoon

I have many, like most, but I still think that wet night on the open Dunbar end terrace on 2 Jan, 1991 is my favourite.

0-2 up after 15 minutes; 0-3 at half time.

Gary Mackay scored an og late on but a cracking Levien volley snuffed out any Hibs resistance.

I was only 5 when we beat them 4-1 in 1973. I wasn't there and have no real recollection so that night at ER was my first thrashing of Hibs.

Bought the "Thrashed" T-shirt from the Murieston Lane bloke three days later.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wee Mikey

• MoncurMacdonaldMercer

• martoon

• Debut 4

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Wallace Mercer derby is one I’ll never forget. Was young at the time but the poisonous atmosphere made for a great afternoon. 

millerjames398

There's a lot too chose from...probably the Mercer derby..super wayne next,,JCs swerving,  dipping volley over bandy Leighton from 30 odd yards was a great one as well,,to be fair all our victories down the shit pit are great occasions👍🏼🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

For some reason the one where skacel scored the third infront of the fans always felt special for me. Was absolute carnage, ended up about 7 rows forward and completely trampled on 😄

Quite a few.

Tte 3-0 with Sandy Clark in temporary charge.

The 4-1 where Gary MacKay scored at both ends.

Stamp derby.

Wayne Foster.

Mickey scoring twice in a 4-0.

Too many....

TommyBizarro

Mine is from 2009. We were down to ten men after Big Zal got sent off. Those clowns were 2-1 up with not long to go and Stephen Elliott equalised. It was only a draw, but a split second after Elliott scored I was rolling about on the floor…..my boy who was 16 at the time, went absolutely mental and grabbed me and his younger sister. Scrambling about on the floor, I should have been annoyed……pissed off….and embarrassed. But I just remember thinking…”ah, so not loosing to these muppet’s means this much to you 😂

Салатные палочки

4-0 January 97. An absolute beasting, which we have seen many of. 

Gorgierools
18 minutes ago, Dean Winchester said:

Shoes off was one of my favourites :lol:

Loved it. What was the one at Easter Road when they equalised late on, minutes later Dunbar end emptied just before a huge hoard came over the opposite end? I had my now ex wife/ girlfriend up at the time from England. She thought it was mental.

The Hickey winner as it was my first win there. Bedlam when it went in, had a massive bruise on my calf, guessing someone behind stood on my seat and it caught my leg. Didn't feel it at the time as we were throwing each other about like empty tracksuits.

Dick Dastardly
35 minutes ago, mickycameron98 said:

Stamp Derby. Epic

Still celebrating as he was ushered down the tunnel. Absolute class

Samuel Camazzola

'Shoes Off' for me. 

The bedlam when the winner went in with not long to go. How we ruined a cup parade! 😂 

The laugh as stewards tried to get us to vacate row by row only for the fans to keep moving up the stand. Eventually there were masses squeezed in to the back row! 😂 

The Mercer derby 100%
the absolute seethe from the vermin was just glorious.  A beautiful sunny day with a proper schooling of them. Poisonous atmosphere - just beautiful.

Scuttling about like rats trying to stop the game 🤣🤣🤣 what a wonderful day that was

39 minutes ago, martoon said:

I have many, like most, but I still think that wet night on the open Dunbar end terrace on 2 Jan, 1991 is my favourite.

0-2 up after 15 minutes; 0-3 at half time.

Gary Mackay scored an og late on but a cracking Levien volley snuffed out any Hibs resistance.

I was only 5 when we beat them 4-1 in 1973. I wasn't there and have no real recollection so that night at ER was my first thrashing of Hibs.

Bought the "Thrashed" T-shirt from the Murieston Lane bloke three days later.

73 was at Tynie, was it not?

27 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

The Wallace Mercer derby is one I’ll never forget. Was young at the time but the poisonous atmosphere made for a great afternoon. 

I'd love to see these highlights again. They were removed from Youtube a while ago.

For 90mins it was pretty crap, but when Ozturk scored that was bedlam.

The rudi scoring the 3rd game, i think his 1st goal at easter road, that was a great game.

2 nil scottish cup game when glen scored last min

This is like trying to pick which final you prefer out of 98 and 2012!  😀

The Waldo derby

Super Wayne

Stampy

4-0 NYD 1997….and many more.

Privileged to have been at them all above but it’ll take some pondering to whittle it down to the one and only best ever….     

see you next season

::troll:: 

51 minutes ago, Negan said:

For some reason the one where skacel scored the third infront of the fans always felt special for me. Was absolute carnage, ended up about 7 rows forward and completely trampled on 😄

Lots of great derby pumpings and many great goals but that’s one of my favourite derbys and favourite derby goals. Knew the great man was smashing it in as soon as he controlled it. Like you say, absolute bedlam (even though the game was never in doubt). 

Harry Potter
1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Fozzy on the fence.

The Wallace Mercer game.

Spot on, one of the best, had some bevy that night lol.

50 minutes ago, Sir Craig Gordon said:

The Hickey winner as it was my first win there. Bedlam when it went in, had a massive bruise on my calf, guessing someone behind stood on my seat and it caught my leg. Didn't feel it at the time as we were throwing each other about like empty tracksuits.

Yup ... a classic. Uche scored? Almost Zeefuilk-esque. He had other moments too, not least his classic step-overs prior to setting up Hickey.

Enjoy ...

Ps ... I fell over at least 2 rows of seats ... it might've been me. 😁

Edited by Wee Mikey

section s heart

2-1 EoS Shield late winner by Gordon Rae og. About 1981. 

First win at ER I had seen after suffering the 70s. 

In the days where EOSS meant something!

Elvis penalty in 2002 will always rank highly. I was 8, it was my first derby, and despite not my first Hearts game, it was together with my Dad. 20 years on, I've still got plenty vivid memories of that match including my Dad letting me stick 2 fingers up to the vermin as we left the ground victorious. :)  Always said that was the turning point for me. The night I really got the bug.

I thought the David Obua derby was incredible too. I mean it was a pretty shite game, but the final 10/15 minutes was mental and the carnage in that stand having to share it with them. I had zero expectation of getting a ticket and somehow managed only the afternoon before the game.

But, I'd probably say my favourite was the 3-1 before lockdown. An awful campaign, and one of those few times I turned up there not expecting to have much fun. Tight first half, but then we just rodgered them silly in the 2nd. The view I had of Bozanic's goal was perfect. The feeling when Washington put us 3 up was just incredible. I remember just looking to the heavens above thinking I was having a heart attack. :lol: If Naismith stuck that 4th away then it would've been somehow even more mental. Shame we conceded but bollocks to them. Sadly more shite followed on the park, before the whole world went mental and life as we knew it vanished. But for one evening, we were happy.

Edited by Locky

14 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

Yup ... a classic. Uche scored? Almost Zeefuilk-esque. He had other moments too, not least his classic step-overs prior to setting up Hickey.

Enjoy ...

Ps ... I fell over at least 2 rows of seats ... it might've been me. 😁

Ah the step overs, absolutely bamboozeling the hibs defence, Ronaldo would be proud.

Seen as we won I'll let it slide 😁

15 minutes ago, section s heart said:

2-1 EoS Shield late winner by Gordon Rae og. About 1981. 

First win at ER I had seen after suffering the 70s. 

In the days where EOSS meant something!

Heart of Midlothian 52 wins, Hibs 47 wins.

We own them outright. 😁

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_of_Scotland_Shield#:~:text=The East of Scotland Shield,Cup and the Scottish Cup.

No Idle Talk

The Wayne Foster Derby. 

It was special for me on several levels. I had never seen Hearts play Hibernian in a Scottish Cup tie until that day, that was something I had wanted to see for a long time. It was the first and only Hearts match I have been to with both my parents. And obviously we won. Not only did we win but we won with a late goal, which is pretty much my favourite way to win a football match. 

Apart from missing wee Robbo's opener, due to my auld man's dawdling in the boozer, it was a great day all round. 

Edited by No Idle Talk

Has to be the first Hearts match I ever attended. 1990 I think. 1-0 down at HT, but two goals from Robbo (who else?) made it a 2-1 win. Never looked back.

been here before
1 hour ago, Pap said:

I'd love to see these highlights again. They were removed from Youtube a while ago.

No they werent, theres a few versions there.

Edited by been here before

10 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

The Wayne Foster Derby. 

It was special for me on several levels. I had never seen Hearts play Hibernian in a Scottish Cup tie until that day, that was something I had wanted to see for a long time. It was the first and only Hearts match I have been to with both my parents. And obviously we won. Not only did we win but we won with a late goal, which is pretty much my favourite way to win a football match. 

Apart from missing wee Robbo's opener, due to my auld man's dawdling in the boozer, it was a great day all round. 

Aye, at the time it was 15 years since the last cup meeting and only about 7 in 40 years.  

The old firm always seems to get drawn together(apart from when they meet in finals) while Hearts and Hibs rarely did.

Even then it wasn’t until the 2006 semi that the blue touch paper was finally lit for numerous ties bringing us together since.  

20 minutes ago, Locky said:

Elvis penalty in 2002 will always rank highly. I was 8, it was my first derby, and despite not my first Hearts game, it was together with my Dad. 20 years on, I've still got plenty vivid memories of that match including my Dad letting me stick 2 fingers up to the vermin as we left the ground victorious. :)  Always said that was the turning point for me. The night I really got the bug.

I thought the David Obua derby was incredible too. I mean it was a pretty shite game, but the final 10/15 minutes was mental and the carnage in that stand having to share it with them. I had zero expectation of getting a ticket and somehow managed only the afternoon before the game.

But, I'd probably say my favourite was the 3-1 before lockdown. An awful campaign, and one of those few times I turned up there not expecting to have much fun. Tight first half, but then we just rodgered them silly in the 2nd. The view I had of Bozanic's goal was perfect. The feeling when Washington put us 3 up was just incredible. I remember just looking to the heavens above thinking I was having a heart attack. :lol: If Naismith stuck that 4th away then it would've been somehow even more mental. Shame we conceded but bollocks to them. Sadly more shite followed on the park, before the whole world went mental and life as we knew it vanished. But for one evening, we were happy.

Yup, that was unforgettable. As you say, it should've been 4 ... that late Boyce miss!

Never mind ...

A fine Clare pen; a Bosanic 'Worldie', and a very cool Washington strike.

Bring on the Hibees. 😁

Edited by Wee Mikey

Ozturks goal was my favourite. 

The hibs fans singing away thinking they,d won & ending our unbeaten run in the championship but it wasn't to be..

Smashed it in,limbs going crazy in away end,popeye in shock & Robbie losing his s*** with such emotion we don't see much of from him.

Would love to have been at the Mercer derby.

One for the oldies though, 5-3.  Wallace got a double iirc.  Hibs weren't the duplicitous toerags they are today at that time and they played their part in making it a great day.