Suggestions for decent Scottish national anthem

Bonnie Prince Charlie

luckyBatistuta
3 hours ago, Shanks said no said:

If I fancy a greet I play this

Love that, but wouldn’t have it as our NA

45 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

The only time FOS makes me cringe is when those rugby sorts sing it. 
Everyone of them a wee nawbag standing their giving us all a riddy in their posh Edinburgh accents. GTF. 
Scotland the Brave always been my preferred choice tbh just more uplifting and takes away the embarrassing lines about being a nation again. 

The ones that make me cringe the most are the folks who absolutely belt it out looking like they’re gonna burst with pride...yet they voted No. I know a few of them too😤😡

Love StB, especially when the drums kick in to accompany the pipes, but still rather have FoS

28 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I stopped singing it at matches after the 2014 Indy result as a protest ! See I was a right Indy supporter 👍

Protest over, get singing it again. Yes and proud 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿👍

jack D and coke
33 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I stopped singing it at matches after the 2014 Indy result as a protest ! See I was a right Indy supporter 👍

I know you were pal lol I believe you👍🏼

jack D and coke
4 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Love that, but wouldn’t have it as our NA

The ones that make me cringe the most are the folks who absolutely belt it out looking like they’re gonna burst with pride...yet they voted No. I know a few of them too😤😡

Love StB, especially when the drums kick in to accompany the pipes, but still rather have FoS

Protest over, get singing it again. Yes and proud 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿👍

:sweeet:

Seymour M Hersh

No idea for a replacement tbh but I do think it's a bit of a dirge, as did the writer Roy Williamson. GSTQ is another pretty awful dirge that could be done away with. A pity we cannot come up with something like the Welsh, French or Italian anthems all of which I think are great. 

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

The only time FOS makes me cringe is when those rugby sorts sing it. 
Everyone of them a wee nawbag standing their giving us all a riddy in their posh Edinburgh accents. GTF. 
Scotland the Brave always been my preferred choice tbh just more uplifting and takes away the embarrassing lines about being a nation again. 

It was being sung at Rugby Internationals long before it was ever sung by the Tartan Army. 

Love Highland cathedral but no good for singing so stick with FoS till independence, then we can maybe have a competition to see if anyone can come up with a new one

Towering in gallant fame,
Scotland my mountain hame,
High may your proud standards, Gloriously wave,
Land of my high endeavour,
Land of the shining rivers,
Land of my heart for ever,
Scotland the brave.

Stirring stuff and aspirational not a dirge and niggly wee go about a 700 year-old fight.

Otherwise what about Auld Lang Syne ?  Just about everyone in the English-speaking world already knows it.

JudyJudyJudy
13 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

No idea for a replacement tbh but I do think it's a bit of a dirge, as did the writer Roy Williamson. GSTQ is another pretty awful dirge that could be done away with. A pity we cannot come up with something like the Welsh, French or Italian anthems all of which I think are great. 

My dad always switched the telly off when GSTQ came on . I couldn’t believe when a guy I had recently became friends stood up when it came on in a pub one night at an international . I was mortified . I thought he was joking . I should have ended it there and then 😂

pharmaceutical01

Donald, where's your troosers??  😁

Seriously, Caledonia is the greatest song written about someone missing Scotland.....

jack D and coke
22 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

It was being sung at Rugby Internationals long before it was ever sung by the Tartan Army. 

I’m not really fussed about that bud. I’m not anti rugby btw I enjoy the 6 nations and watching Scotland (if you can call it enjoyable that is sometimes 😬) it just has extra cringe now. 

jack D and coke
20 minutes ago, Pap said:

Folk saying they stand there in silence :rofl:

That was the Italy game. Everyone in the stadium that night was pished I reckon. I loved the Saturday evening Scotland games. France at home that group was equally sensational. We used to have buses and was great to go to games with my pals who are mibbe hibby tramps etc.

It was in the rain that night too a really Scottish night it’s one of the best games and atmospheres I’ve ever seen experienced in my life. 
Was it McFadden who missed the open goal from about 6 yards after Ferguson equalised? 🙈😂
Obviously with Scotland the old sting in the tail as per right at the death but an absolutely exhilarating occasion all day. 
How people can’t enjoy Scotland games is beyond me tbh. 

Edited by jack D and coke

13 hours ago, Pap said:

If you ever went to a Scotland game, you'd sing it and your lying if you say you wouldnt:bolt:

I didn’t say I wouldn’t. I still think it’s a bit pish. 

12 hours ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Just heard the the English swimming commentator say he likes when Duncan Scott wins so he can hear Flower of Scotland! So many cringe merchants in Scotland, I wish they'd just GTF!

Don’t understand how not liking the anthem makes me a cringe merchant? 

It’s a pish dirge about a battle 700 years ago. You like it, that’s fine. I don’t. Also fine. 

Wish folk like you would just GTF tbh. 

11 hours ago, Jambos_1874 said:

Insane In The Brain

Would be an accurate representation of some of the country if some of the melts in this thread are anything to go by. 

Roxy Hearts
18 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Don’t understand how not liking the anthem makes me a cringe merchant? 

It’s a pish dirge about a battle 700 years ago. You like it, that’s fine. I don’t. Also fine. 

Wish folk like you would just GTF tbh. 

Have a nice day bud 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

dobmisterdobster

Flower of Scotland does the job just fine. People know the words to it.

Nobody knows the words to some obscure Robert Burns poem that would presumably replace it.

If it ain't broke etc.

23 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Have a nice day bud 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

I’m not sure what your implication is with the flag? 

anyway off you go pal. Sure there’s a few other threads you and all the tadgers can ruin by turning into Indy debates. 

Jambo_jim2001
5 hours ago, pharmaceutical01 said:

😁

Seriously, Caledonia is the greatest song written about someone missing Scotland.....

Gets my vote😎😎😎

Edited by Jambo_jim2001

16 hours ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Just heard the the English swimming commentator say he likes when Duncan Scott wins so he can hear Flower of Scotland! So many cringe merchants in Scotland, I wish they'd just GTF!

I'm with this guy.

GTF haters!

"Oh flower of Scotlaaaaaannnnn"

Unknown user
20 hours ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Male Stripper .. Man 2 Man 

Our high school bus driver had this playing on repeat for weeks. See now I think about that :shocked3:

I'm not a massive fan of FOS but when they do the bit at Murrayfield of stopping the music for the last verse it makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. 

Roxy Hearts
7 hours ago, BlueRiver said:

I’m not sure what your implication is with the flag? 

anyway off you go pal. Sure there’s a few other threads you and all the tadgers can ruin by turning into Indy debates. 

It's our flag bud. Just sharing we're on the same side i.e. Scottish but not about the anthems. You OK?

manaliveits105

The Murrells have an oven ready anthem for an Indy Scotland 

Where are you all coming from?
From Scotland where we belong
Are you talking just like us?
No, we Smurf, it's much less fuss

Do you do things that we don't dare?
We are real Smurfs so we don't care
This is the song with the nice refrain
Yes, we will sing it once again

The Flute Smurf begins:

{Instrumental Interlude}

2 hours ago, Roxy Hearts said:

It's our flag bud. Just sharing we're on the same side i.e. Scottish but not about the anthems. You OK?

Stressful day at work. Shouldn’t have been posting with an empty head. 

I apologise. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Watt-Zeefuik

Not my call but to me Caledonia and Is There For Honest Poverty would be improvements.

Scotland the Brave is undefeated globally in its instrumental form.

FWIW the biggest problem with the Star Spangled Banner is everyone feels the need to turn it into a dirge. It was based on a jaunty 18th century song about drunken hookups at an amateur musician's society, and I wish we'd sing it like that.

That thing you do
On 03/08/2022 at 16:10, Bonnie Prince Charlie said:

Great win for Mcolgan (sp?) but how crap and uninspiring is that crap anthem? I heard the NI anthem shortly before that and that was bloody good, same when England play their  games song rather than god save the queen crap. Surely we have enough brains in this country to come up with a decent anthem?

Highland Cathedral.

Roxy Hearts
8 hours ago, BlueRiver said:

Stressful day at work. Shouldn’t have been posting with an empty head. 

I apologise. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

👍

Flower of Scotland has had its day. Great for the 1990 grand slam, but a dirge now.

If independence ever came around, "Scotland will Flourish" is a forward looking and inclusive.

I'm deadly serious. This.  As a nationed renowned for not taking ourselves too seriously, the guitar and drum intro would have any occasion jumping!

Unknown user
31 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Nothing wrong with Flower of Scotland. The vast majority of other nations anthems are worse than it.

Yeah, I like it

• 2 weeks later...
I P Knightley

I've revised my opinion. 

Instead of Flower of Scotland, a song to unite the nation is Beautiful Sunday by Daniel Boone.

Verse 6 of the current national anthem-

"Lord grant that Marshal Wade,

May by thy mighty aid, Victory bring.

May he sedition hush, And like a torrent rush,

Rebellious Scots to crush,

God Save the King."

Not sung very often these days.

On 04/08/2022 at 11:06, FWJ said:

I do

just like I do when they play 500 Miles.

Meant to ask. Did you celebrate when Leigh Griffiths scored the two into England?

1 hour ago, jb102 said:

Verse 6 of the current national anthem-

"Lord grant that Marshal Wade,

May by thy mighty aid, Victory bring.

May he sedition hush, And like a torrent rush,

Rebellious Scots to crush,

God Save the King."

Not sung very often these days.

Nobody outside Scotland or England even cares about the lyrics to our anthems.

Not even the Scots and English when they play each other, care.

I like both songs. Good rousing songs that are great at the football.

Its just a wee mob with petted lips that want it dropped.

I can sing Flower of Scotland with pride, unlike some. I like Scotland the brave, Caledonia and Scots what hae. I like say it with pride anaw(Who remembers that song?)

Edited by ri Alban

On 04/08/2022 at 10:01, I P Knightley said:

Scotland the Brave was the anthem played at the first international match I went to (Murrayfield, not Hampden). I've never understood why FoS was adopted over it, other than the fact that it's anti-English whilst StB simply makes do with celebrating Scotland.

Nobody seemed to know the words to Scotland the Brave.

• 4 weeks later...