What is woke and how does it impact you?

Unknown user

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
1 minute ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Warner Bros have dumped it. Not even going straight to streaming or DVD (if they even still do that) all because the reviews were so awful from folk who just said stop the woke shite (paraphrased that las bit). 

I knew they had dumped it. I read it was financial, or just ego from a new boss. How was it 'woke'?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Unknown user

• Dawnrazor

• il Duce McTarkin

JudyJudyJudy

10 hours ago, Jambos_1874 said:

In terms of how this new era of wokeness affects me, it is almost exclusively at work. I am ultra careful with what I say, particularly around those of the younger generation I.e. early 20s. Some of the most innocuous (IMO) things that others have said at work have been called out and raised as an issue when I know for a fact that they said it completely innocently and probably without even considering that it might offend someone. It is right that we are more aware of these issues and of course it's important that we don't offend people, but it can't go so far that you have to watch everything you say.

I regularly go to a Starbucks for a coffee . I usually speak to a nice lassie who is really friendly and has great customer care . I saw that she regularly has a pride flag emblem on her name thingy . The other week I noticed she had a name tag with her preferred  pro nouns 

“ he / him “ ! I was rather confused really as I started to think maybe she’s actually a biological guy and just fem or is a butch lesbian ! Anyway I obviously didn’t ask as it’s none of my business . Just surprised that’s all . Just an observation . 

if I was asked to use pro nouns at my work emails etc I’d refuse 

Unknown user
1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Woke is why the $90million Batwoman movie (filmed in the weej btw) will never see the light of day.

It'll never see the light of day because it's universally accepted as being ****ing shit and it's more tax efficient and less harmful to reputation to write it off.

13 hours ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

I knew they had dumped it. I read it was financial, or just ego from a new boss. How was it 'woke'?

Because life was better when my arthritic hips and knees didn't hurt and before I got those stents put in.

u-g-Q122RKT0.jpg?w=550%26h=550%26p=0&f=1

13 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

if I was asked to use pro nouns at my work emails etc I’d refuse 

So if someone referred to you as "he" or "him" you'd get pissed off?  Sounds a bit odd, but whatever floats your goat.

Watt-Zeefuik
16 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Warner Bros have dumped it. Not even going straight to streaming or DVD (if they even still do that) all because the reviews were so awful from folk who just said stop the woke shite (paraphrased that las bit). 

Nothing at all to do with "the woke shite," everything to do with just about everyone who saw it (including the infamous "woke Hollywood types") saying it was a terrible movie.

Bindy Badgy

It must be bad if the most recent Jurassic World film managed to get through the same selection process without being canned.

JudyJudyJudy
10 hours ago, Ulysses said:

So if someone referred to you as "he" or "him" you'd get pissed off?  Sounds a bit odd, but whatever floats your goat.

No

i wouldn’t even get into any discussion about it I meant as I’m clearly a he / him . Getting into any discussions about it only encourages those dafties 

JudyJudyJudy

Because life was better when my arthritic hips and knees didn't hurt and before I got those stents put in.

Arthritis is awful . I’ve had it 20 years . 

JudyJudyJudy

Regarding diversity Dan Wooten is completely wrong on this issue . Also very disrespectful to the guy who was discussing it . There definitely is “ unconscious bias “ and people need educated about it 

https://www.gbnews.uk/news/dan-wootton-clashes-with-guest-over-unconscious-bias-in-debate-on-diversity-training-i-know-im-not-transphobic/348855?fbclid=IwAR3iL1oFVriVCKnCzSDZYD9FeN2vnKWV9vP9NwwUnP3TRn8r-jDas_kkRlw&fs=e&s=cl

JudyJudyJudy

I thought u were quite young actually . Assumed you were I mean , I knew you were grumpy though 

On 02/08/2022 at 16:42, Boof said:

It's a handy way to distinguish arseholes from normal folk.

Describe themselves as woke - social justice warrior-type arsehole.

Describe others as woke - gammon arsehole.

I know i'm quite late to this thread... but your post is absolutely bang on the money. I've said the same myself, woke is just used as a label by people who are too much of an a-hole to show some level of common courtesy. 

If we had the woke wars in the time of the 70s or 80s then the likes of Dan Wooton would be arguing that blackface is just fun and people need to get over themselves. He's not a journalist, just a guy on tv stirring up stuff and the stupid go along with it. 

The Mighty Thor
12 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Regarding diversity Dan Wooten is completely wrong on this issue . Also very disrespectful to the guy who was discussing it . There definitely is “ unconscious bias “ and people need educated about it 

https://www.gbnews.uk/news/dan-wootton-clashes-with-guest-over-unconscious-bias-in-debate-on-diversity-training-i-know-im-not-transphobic/348855?fbclid=IwAR3iL1oFVriVCKnCzSDZYD9FeN2vnKWV9vP9NwwUnP3TRn8r-jDas_kkRlw&fs=e&s=cl

Is there an issue Dan Wootton ever been right on?

File under Neil Oliver/Hateful-Spewer/Katie Hopkins

Ron Burgundy

I'd also say that anyone who uses the terms Libtard or Gammon fall into the arsehole category.

Unknown user
35 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I'd also say that anyone who uses the terms Libtard or Gammon fall into the arsehole category.

That's a price I'm willing to pay to laugh at gammons

Ron Burgundy
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

That's a price I'm willing to pay to laugh at gammons

I don't think that gammon and libtard really offends anyone though and it's just used to make the person feel edgy and superior.

In todays worlds it could be argued that it's insulting someone's skin colour and is racist. * I don't think it's racist*

54 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Just out of interest, how did the gammon insult start? What does it mean?

It became prominent after the Brexit vote to characterise the stereotype little Englander who voted for it and believed the European Union was vindictive to the UK.

Before it was revitalised in the last 10yrs it was supposed to originate out of a Dickens novel.  

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2018/05/turns-out-charles-dickens-invented-concept-gammon-1838

Generally now it's a reference to those who profess a right wing nationalistic streak. As an insult it is  more commonly used to mock those of an obese persuasion with gammon coloured complexion who still believe England is a super power and there should be less foreign people living in our society. 

You can see why many find it offensive... even though a subset of the Brexit voting society are obese, red faced right wingers who don't like anyone questioning their decision to **** over the country in the name of a non existent Empire whilst sticking it to Jonny Foreigner .

All roads lead to Gorgie
7 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

It became prominent after the Brexit vote to characterise the stereotype little Englander who voted for it and believed the European Union was vindictive to the UK.

Before it was revitalised in the last 10yrs it was supposed to originate out of a Dickens novel.  

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2018/05/turns-out-charles-dickens-invented-concept-gammon-1838

Generally now it's a reference to those who profess a right wing nationalistic streak. As an insult it is  more commonly used to mock those of an obese persuasion with gammon coloured complexion who still believe England is a super power and there should be less foreign people living in our society. 

You can see why many find it offensive... even though a subset of the Brexit voting society are obese, red faced right wingers who don't like anyone questioning their decision to **** over the country in the name of a non existent Empire whilst sticking it to Jonny Foreigner .

Don't fret, the PM is stepping down ^_^

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
39 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

Great answer. Thx!

Bindy Badgy

People complaining about wokeism has far more of an impact on my life than people being woke (whatever the hell that means).

It reminds me of people complaining about the MOBOs. If people didn't complain about it I wouldn't know that it existed.

Weakened Offender

Beautiful. 

Weakened Offender
3 hours ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Just out of interest, how did the gammon insult start? What does it mean?

I wouldn't describe it as an insult. Its a great term that saves time describing halfwitted racists. 

Red-faced, sweaty, permanently raging old duffers who tend to be far-right in political views fall under the term "gammon" as they resemble a side of gammon in colouration, moisture and saltiness.

24 minutes ago, Cade said:

Red-faced, sweaty, permanently raging old duffers who tend to be far-right in political views fall under the term "gammon" as they resemble a side of gammon in colouration, moisture and saltiness.

Always to be found on Question Time frothing with unbridled enthusiasm to invade or bomb some poor country for their own entertainment. Gammon isn't racist, incidentally. This species has that complexion because its too woke to wear sunscreen and they would find their misplaced machismo challenged to the core should someone point a tube of moisturiser their way. 

What is gammon? This is why everyone is arguing about meat

Edited by Gizmo

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Always to be found on Question Time frothing with unbridled enthusiasm to invade or bomb some poor country for their own entertainment. Gammon isn't racist, incidentally. This species has that complexion because its too woke to wear sunscreen and they would find their misplaced machismo challenged to the core should someone point a tube of moisuriser their way. 

But it's not just a UK phenomenon, here's Alex Jones in the dock yesterday

0H3A7749_1000x1000.jpg

Just now, Smithee said:

But it's not just a UK phenomenon, here's Alex Jones in the dock yesterday

0H3A7749_1000x1000.jpg

Haha before he turned whiter than a ghost at the bombshell...

12 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

No

i wouldn’t even get into any discussion about it I meant as I’m clearly a he / him . Getting into any discussions about it only encourages those dafties 

But that's not what you said. 

Whether you choose to say it or not doesn't matter.  Your pronouns are he and him.

11 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I thought u were quite young actually . Assumed you were I mean , I knew you were grumpy though 

I'm not the one complaining about how much better things used to be.  ;) 

To answer the original question-
synonyms: woke, progressive, politically correct, being right on.

Was positive now seen as an insult. Life and language move on.

Not had any impact on me other than raising an eyebrow at the strange new phenomenon that all families on adverts have to be mixed race. US adverts really go for it, makes our gene pool look very bland.

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Ulysses said:

I'm not the one complaining about how much better things used to be.  ;) 

When? 

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Ulysses said:

But that's not what you said. 

Whether you choose to say it or not doesn't matter.  Your pronouns are he and him.

No I said if I were asked via email if I wanted to be referred to as he / him I would just ignore it . 

JudyJudyJudy
5 hours ago, jonesy said:

No Gizzie. Its 'not' racist because those who use it would have to face the reality that they, like all of those who decide to poke fun at others because of their skin colour, have prejudices based on little more than their aforementioned pigmentation and views they, rightly or wrong, disagree with, conflating the two into some kind of humorous shorthand to toss into oh-so-sharp conversations with their equally prejudiced friends.

Oh god it’s not a conversation again About whether “ gammon” is racist or not. ? It’s like Groundhog Day on this at times 😎

JudyJudyJudy
6 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Always to be found on Question Time frothing with unbridled enthusiasm to invade or bomb some poor country for their own entertainment. Gammon isn't racist, incidentally. This species has that complexion because its too woke to wear sunscreen and they would find their misplaced machismo challenged to the core should someone point a tube of moisturiser their way. 

Can women be “ gammon” ? are they 
“ Karen’s “ ? 

The Mighty Thor
6 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

“ Karen’s “ ? 

No idea.

Everyone ignores them. 😉

9 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

“ Karen’s “ ? 

Can Black and Asians be gammon?

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Probably not due to their skin colour i assume. 

3 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Probably not due to their skin colour i assume. 

So how racist is it if it's aimed at one group due to their skin colour? 

Weakened Offender
9 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

“ Karen’s “ ? 

Most Karens are 100% Gammon. 

JudyJudyJudy
5 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

So how racist is it if it's aimed at one group due to their skin colour? 

eh ? its too early on a saturday morning for all this. 😮  im still in my kip

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Weakened Offender said:

Most Karens are 100% Gammon. 

so they can be gammon I would think so 

On 03/08/2022 at 09:19, JudyJudyJudy said:

On 02/08/2022 at 16:30, Smithee said:

It's another one that gets brought up everywhere, it's a big problem apparently.

What is woke though and why is it such a problem?

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
11 hours ago, westbow said:

To answer the original question-
synonyms: woke, progressive, politically correct, being right on.

Was positive now seen as an insult. Life and language move on.

Not had any impact on me other than raising an eyebrow at the strange new phenomenon that all families on adverts have to be mixed race. US adverts really go for it, makes our gene pool look very bland.

Different thread perhaps but always worth pointing out - there's a pretty broad scientific consensus for race being a social construct and not the result of genetic variation.

Edited by Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

JudyJudyJudy
13 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Sorry Dawn. Those who use the G-word are so woke that their jokes about people’s skin colour couldn’t possibly be racist.

Your gammon debates are akin to my covid ones :) :) 

Unknown user
1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

Of course, and ruddy faced chubsters aren't necessarily gammon if they don't act gammon

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Of course, and ruddy faced chubsters aren't necessarily gammon if they don't act gammon

aye they can just be bog standard alkies... :)