Hypnotist shows

Swanny17

Do folk genuinely believe these are real?! 

Lot of absolute nonsense if you ask me.

I’m not doubting that hypnosis can’t be used in a safe environment, done by a professional, for medical reasons etc but I’m not having that pished up folk on holiday get hypnotised in 2 minutes and start making idiots of themselves. 

Wonder what JKB thinks? 

Paul McKenna used to do a stage show which sold out big venues. It was highly entertaining. 

One of the people I was attending the show with was up on stage. Had no reason to believe that he wasn't genuinely in a hypnotic/trance like stage for the performance. 

Footballfirst
17 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

Paul McKenna used to do a stage show which sold out big venues. It was highly entertaining. 

One of the people I was attending the show with was up on stage. Had no reason to believe that he wasn't genuinely in a hypnotic/trance like stage for the performance. 

I remember going to see Robert Halpern in the early 80s.  As you say, it was a highly entertaining show.

Hypnotists vet the people the take on stage, my Mum and Auntie were into all that, Hypnotists and Clairvoyants, she went to them often, some people are much more susceptible to Hypnosis than others seemingly. 

I remember a mate of mine, Chris, getting up on stage with about 3 other folk. The hypnotist asked them all their occupations, bank clark, delivery driver, nurse or whatever. Came to Chris, " ...eh, ah'm an astronaut, pal..."

"Right off the stage Chris" !!

We were of course all shitfaced.😄

Edited by whodanny

I was on the stage with Robert Halpern at the Churchill Theatre many years ago.

Quite frankly, it was a load of bollocks!

I was fully aware of everything that was going on.

I P Knightley

Excellent shows, every one of them. If I were you, I'd spend a large proportion of my money going to hypnotist shows.

adambraejambo

Only been to one show. Was during the Festival at the pub across road from the Commonwealth pool. Can't remember much about the act apart from it was a black lab called Oscar who hypnotised people. Not making this up. 

39 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Excellent shows, every one of them. If I were you, I'd spend a large proportion of my money going to hypnotist shows.

Your about as convincing as the shows your referring too

Saw one once down at Queen Margaret union in the mid eighties when it was still at Clerry. I remember at the end of the show the hypnotist left all the last punters on stage believing that everyone they spoke to for the rest of the night was famous. Most of the girls who did it ended up crying later for some reason, but I do remember lots of people crowding round one girl saying "Who am I, who am I?" and her replying "You're Kenny Dalglish" to one of them!

Jambo-Jimbo
2 hours ago, Morgan said:

I was on the stage with Robert Halpern at the Churchill Theatre many years ago.

Quite frankly, it was a load of bollocks!

I was fully aware of everything that was going on.

I have a different experience with Robert Halpern. 

January 1980 Volunteer Hall, Galashiels, I went to one of his shows, like many folks I thought all this hypnotism stuff was a pile of shite, anyway was selected to go up on stage and dispite my best efforts to resist it, I was hypnotised.  I wasn't used, me and this lassie were in too deep a trance that it would have been dangerous to use us, seemingly, so I just lay at the back of the stage, got woke up from time to time, but that was all. 

It was a strange experience, I had my eyes closed but I was conscious but couldn't move, I was aware of sounds around me but it was all muffled, like it was far away, apart from Halpern's voice which was crystal clear, I even knew when he was talking to me, it was just as weird as feck, afterwards I was as high as a kite, euphoric is the word.  Just one of the most strangest feelings I've ever known.  Got free tickets for his next show, needless to say I kept my hands down by my sides this time.

53 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I have a different experience with Robert Halpern. 

January 1980 Volunteer Hall, Galashiels, I went to one of his shows, like many folks I thought all this hypnotism stuff was a pile of shite, anyway was selected to go up on stage and dispite my best efforts to resist it, I was hypnotised.  I wasn't used, me and this lassie were in too deep a trance that it would have been dangerous to use us, seemingly, so I just lay at the back of the stage, got woke up from time to time, but that was all. 

It was a strange experience, I had my eyes closed but I was conscious but couldn't move, I was aware of sounds around me but it was all muffled, like it was far away, apart from Halpern's voice which was crystal clear, I even knew when he was talking to me, it was just as weird as feck, afterwards I was as high as a kite, euphoric is the word.  Just one of the most strangest feelings I've ever known.  Got free tickets for his next show, needless to say I kept my hands down by my sides this time.

I got the free tickets to his next show as well!

One thing I do remember (or not, as the case may be!) was that my mouth tasted of onions for hours afterwards.  I couldn’t understand it.

The girl I was with told me that Halpern said that I was to eat the most delicious apple that I’d ever tasted.  It turned out I had crunched my way through an entire raw onion.  

Maybe I was hypnotised a wee bit.  🤷🏿‍♂️ 

5 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

I remember going to see Robert Halpern in the early 80s.  As you say, it was a highly entertaining show.

me too. At the old odeon up the bridges. Was superb.

Edited by 1971fozzy

They pick people that they think will be the most entertaining and go along with the act. They are very clever at this part. I got hypnosis in Benidorm and was completely aware of everything and knew what was happening. I went along with cause I was pished and wanting a laugh. 

Jambo-Jimbo
12 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I got the free tickets to his next show as well!

One thing I do remember (or not, as the case may be!) was that my mouth tasted of onions for hours afterwards.  I couldn’t understand it.

The girl I was with told me that Halpern said that I was to eat the most delicious apple that I’d ever tasted.  It turned out I had crunched my way through an entire raw onion.  

Maybe I was hypnotised a wee bit.  🤷🏿‍♂️ 

That's one of the tricks, a lovely apple, when it's actually an onion.

Unless you like eating raw onions like they were an apple, then you probably were hypnotised.

Lone Striker

Didn't Halpern suddenly give up for some reason ?   I can't remember the reason...... ill-health maybe  .... or in trouble with Hector ?

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

Didn't Halpern suddenly give up for some reason ?   I can't remember the reason...... ill-health maybe  .... or in trouble with Hector ?

Here's an excerpt from someone's recollections about him (from 2013).

https://mikejtucker007.wordpress.com/2013/04/05/the-paranormal-part-two-seances-and-stage-hypnotists/

You might, as I did, wonder what happened to Robert Halpern.  It seems that he wasn’t all he appeared to be.  Allegedly he liked to gamble (up to £10k at a time), became bankrupt, was allegedly gay and there were further allegations of inappropriate behaviour.  He certainly had a 3 month driving ban at one point.  He also wasn’t insured for his act and wasn’t even a member of the voluntary body The Federation of Ethical Stage Hypnotists.  A girl at the Pavillion jumped off the stage under hypnosis and fractured a leg.  Shortly after, the then Glasgow District Council banned all stage theatre hypnotist acts.  Halpern quite literally disappeared.  Last year, his son, who hadn’t seen him in 21 years, rather sadly posted a message asking his whereabouts.  Some say he passed on but no one knows for sure. 

davemclaren
8 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Yip, me too. All the audience were drunk, including me. 

Doctor FinnBarr

All a long time ago now but I went to see "The Man" in West Calder, lot of shite.

Certain he got famous in West Lothian for being a budgie man and eh........having a liking for children.

Been to one Hypnotist show in my life over 25 years ago.

He had the whole audience grip their hands together with eyes closed while he spoke. Then asked everyone to open their hands. About 12 folk couldn't so they went up on stage and he picked 6 folk from them which did seem to suggest it was all about getting the most susceptible folk on stage.

Didnt seem a plant as lassie in the group beside us got picked. She described it as just going along with what was asked even though it was stupid antics but aware of what she was doing.

Think She got bought drinks all night from folk after that.

4 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

Been to one Hypnotist show in my life over 25 years ago.

He had the whole audience grip their hands together with eyes closed while he spoke. Then asked everyone to open their hands. About 12 folk couldn't so they went up on stage and he picked 6 folk from them which did seem to suggest it was all about getting the most susceptible folk on stage.

Didnt seem a plant as lassie in the group beside us got picked. She described it as just going along with what was asked even though it was stupid antics but aware of what she was doing.

Think She got bought drinks all night from folk after that.

That clasp the hands thing was exactly what Derren Brown did at his show in Edinburgh a couple of months ago.

Loads of folk went up so too many to be staged.

He did a simple thing of getting the folk he asked up stage to forget the number 7 then asked them to count their fingers which was amusing.

The big reveal at the end implied that he'd hypnotised the rest of the audience which was extremely clever.