European travel thread

The_razors_edge

11 hours ago, The Hogfather said:

The route is Edin - Turin on the Tuesday and then a train to Zurich and onto St Gallen from there. Flying back from Milan on the Saturday afternoon.

What airline is the return flight ?

I don't see a Saturday Milan flight.

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Real Maroonblood

• The Hogfather

• Heartsmad1874

• JimmyCant

The Hogfather
38 minutes ago, Boab said:

What airline is the return flight ?

I don't see a Saturday Milan flight.

Ryanair. It’s on Skyscanner now, £69. 

16 hours ago, stirlo said:

Yes - I'd have thought around 1,200 would be a decent estimate. I was meaning it's unlikely to be like the sort of numbers that travelled to Feyenoord or Bordeaux.

I think you're underestimating our support mate. Remember, it's been a while since our last one.

1 hour ago, JyTees said:

I think you're underestimating our support mate. Remember, it's been a while since our last one.

With the guarantee of at least another three away trips after this, maybe the numbers will be lower.

39 minutes ago, Boab said:

With the guarantee of at least another three away trips after this, maybe the numbers will be lower.

Zurich's reasonably easy to get to compared to what we could get. There's also a fair few quid been saved over the past few years to hit them all!

Our Euro fund will probably cover us all the way to the final 😎😂🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Midloth_Iain said:

If travelling via Turin (Ryanair), be aware there are no train connections direct from Torino airport to the city train station due to engineering works.

A bus connection is required for at least part of the journey.

https://www.aeroportoditorino.it/en/tomove/parking-transport/by-train

Fecking hell, Scotrail haven't half expanded. 

2 hours ago, JyTees said:

Possibly. But I'm thinking that most fans who are planning to go to Europe this year will be planning to go to at least one of the three group games. So most of those who will be going to Zurich will be going to at least 2 games in the next 2 or 3 months - and that's going to cost a fair bit of cash. It also means two midweek trips, which requires time off work. 

1 hour ago, JyTees said:

Zurich's reasonably easy to get to compared to what we could get. There's also a fair few quid been saved over the past few years to hit them all!

Our Euro fund will probably cover us all the way to the final 😎😂🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

Possibly. Could be the dearest depending on the draws.

Chuck Berry
1 hour ago, stirlo said:

Possibly. But I'm thinking that most fans who are planning to go to Europe this year will be planning to go to at least one of the three group games. So most of those who will be going to Zurich will be going to at least 2 games in the next 2 or 3 months - and that's going to cost a fair bit of cash. It also means two midweek trips, which requires time off work. 

Also more notice for the group games, particularly the last two away games.  More chance to secure decent flights for a reasonable price.  Zurich is a combination of relatively high flight prices for reasonably direct flights (unless you took the gamble on Tuesday), and a very expensive place to be in for a couple of days.

The Hogfather
6 hours ago, Midloth_Iain said:

If travelling via Turin (Ryanair), be aware there are no train connections direct from Torino airport to the city train station due to engineering works.

A bus connection is required for at least part of the journey.

https://www.aeroportoditorino.it/en/tomove/parking-transport/by-train

Thanks for that update. Will look into alternative transport options. 

4 hours ago, Chuck Berry said:

Also more notice for the group games, particularly the last two away games.  More chance to secure decent flights for a reasonable price.  Zurich is a combination of relatively high flight prices for reasonably direct flights (unless you took the gamble on Tuesday), and a very expensive place to be in for a couple of days.

5 of us booked on Tuesday at just over £300 each, flight and digs. I reckon a good few did similar.

Definitely have a point re expensive once you get there though.

I think we'll take a couple of thousand minimum.

6 hours ago, stirlo said:

I agree with all that. Just think there's a good couple of thousand going to more than 1 game this season.

Like I said, it's been a while.

Jambo in Yorkshire

I have found a decent option from Manchester, 06.40 on the 18th to Basel, 2 hr train journey to St Gallen. Return from Basel at 18.00 on the 19th

Currently about £200 for the flight

Apologies for stating the obvious, the currency is Swiss Francs not Euros.

Edited by Jambo in Yorkshire

What's everyone thinking our average away following will be in Europe this season?

Will the supports not be as big for each game due to having more than one trip?

The Hogfather
23 minutes ago, ModJambo said:

What's everyone thinking our average away following will be in Europe this season?

Will the supports not be as big for each game due to having more than one trip?

It honestly depends on how easy they are to get to and how high profile the opposition is. Could be a couple of thousand per game, maybe less, maybe a lot more.

1 minute ago, The Hogfather said:

It honestly depends on how easy they are to get to and how high profile the opposition is. Could be a couple of thousand per game, maybe less, maybe a lot more.

I wonder if we played somewhere like Azerbaijan if you'd still have a wee guy near the ground selling Hearts scarves etc haha

The Hogfather
11 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

Looking at the Turin on the Tuesday and Milan on the Saturday plan. Pretty cheap. 

Even cheaper if you do Turin back too. That's working out at £22 back rather than £100 now from Milan.

Famous 1874
26 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

Even cheaper if you do Turin back too. That's working out at £22 back rather than £100 now from Milan.

Ideal. 

Couple of questions,

1) do you reckon its best to book a hotel near Turin airport as it arrives relatively late

2) is it quite straight forward to get to St Gallen / Zurich. Unsure where to base myself as atm will be going solo. Waiting on a mate to confirm though 

The Hogfather
4 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

Ideal. 

Couple of questions,

1) do you reckon its best to book a hotel near Turin airport as it arrives relatively late

2) is it quite straight forward to get to St Gallen / Zurich. Unsure where to base myself as atm will be going solo. Waiting on a mate to confirm though 

1) We've booked a hotel in Turin but I think it's close to the railway station rather than the airport. Just for getting the train in the morning.

2) It seems pretty straightforward, yeah. Train to Milan from Turin and there's a direct line to Zurich from Milan. Plenty services it seems too. Drop me a PM if you're needing more info closer to the time. From what I've seen online, there's a good number of people doing the Turin route.

The Easyjet flight from Edinburgh to Geneva on Wednesday 17th now seems to be sold out as is the flight back on the Friday evening so no doubt there'll be plenty Jambos on those flights and making the train journey from Geneva to Zurich/St Gallen.  

11 hours ago, Boab said:

Be lucky if there's a thousand just for that reason. 

Why make hurried decisions to go to a place that will leave you skint. 

Hold off and pick the group games and if we make the Europa League groups there could be even better trips and teams. 

1 hour ago, The Hogfather said:

Pushing 7000-8000 if we’re going to Old Trafford or The Emirates or the COLS

42 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Hold off and pick the group games and if we make the Europa League groups there could be even better trips and teams. 

Less than a thousand? Don't be stupid. 

Just to remind anyone travelling in Germany Deutsche bahn are doing a ticket for the whole of August on any local/regional train for 9 euros!

The Real Maroonblood
11 hours ago, luckydug said:

Hopefully I’ll be doing the same.

Not told the wife yet but I’ve been dropping the hint.:10900:

joondalupjambo
15 hours ago, JyTees said:

5 of us booked on Tuesday at just over £300 each, flight and digs. I reckon a good few did similar.

Definitely have a point re expensive once you get there though.

I think we'll take a couple of thousand minimum.

Pounds or supporters? 😀😀

StevenNaismith

My mate has just been told he can’t get the Wednesday off work so can’t go. I had everything priced up, flying out the Tuesday night, 1 night in Turin, train to St Gallen, 3 nights in St Gallen, train back to Turin and then fly home all for about £330 each 

Harry Potter
33 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Hopefully I’ll be doing the same.

Not told the wife yet but I’ve been dropping the hint.:10900:

A wee box of chocolates bud, 🙂.

The Real Maroonblood
19 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

A wee box of chocolates bud, 🙂.

Doing that I would definitely not get the nod..😭

We have spoke about getting the other bathroom replaced for a while.

I said  this morning  we should start looking around for this new bathroom.😉

14 hours ago, The Hogfather said:

Aren’t the trains expensive from Milan to St Gallen ?

18 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Doing that I would definitely not get the nod..😭

We have spoke about getting the other bathroom replaced for a while.

I said  this morning  we should start looking around for this new bathroom.😉

Peaking way too early. Need to keep something back for the Group Stages 👍

The Hogfather
3 minutes ago, 19/05/2012 said:

Aren’t the trains expensive from Milan to St Gallen ?

About £100 return, but you're going to be looking at significantly more to fly any more direct than that now.

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Peaking way too early. Need to keep something back for the Group Stages 👍

You’re probably right.

3 of us going 

Edinburgh - Amsterdam -Basle on the Wednesday 

back 
Basle - Bordeaux -Edinburgh on the Friday 

1 night in Zurich, 1 night in St Gallen. My last euro trip was Tottenham and last trip abroad was Prague! I can not wait! 

9 minutes ago, Tour22 said:

Anyone heard anything about the game being in Zurich on the Wednesday instead of St Gallen on the Thursday?

Best let the Zurich Social

media person know about this, since they’ve already stated officially that the game will be Thursday at St Gallen should they qualify

Heartsmad1874
9 minutes ago, Tour22 said:

Anyone heard anything about the game being in Zurich on the Wednesday instead of St Gallen on the Thursday?

Our first leg will 100% be the Thursday. They've already changed our league game against Celtic to the Sunday. SPFL wouldn't greenlight that change if there was a chance it wouldn't be on the Thursday. 

1 minute ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Our first leg will 100% be the Thursday. They've already changed our league game against Celtic to the Sunday. SPFL wouldn't greenlight that change if there was a chance it wouldn't be on the Thursday. 

Thanks, I heard a couple things from different people about Uefa allowing the change due to another tie potentially being played on the the Thurdsay in Switzerland and the Zurich stadium fiasco. 

jambocall51
1 hour ago, Tour22 said:

I think due to the concert the next day they'll want to set up the stage for the concert a few days prior to it, so unlikely they'd play the game the day before the concert 

Buzzing after the latest update to drown out any rubbish Wednesday rumours. Excited to leave next Wednesday. Just the ticket to sort, on 110 points so hoping for a good outcome on that front.

hmfc_liam06

Cancelled our hotel in Zurich, going to give that a miss and focus on one of the last two away group games (can't make the first two group games, praying the first two aren't away or I'm down to 1!).

Kept the Belfast hotel just in case Linfield somehow turn it around though.

The Real Maroonblood
4 hours ago, Tour22 said:

:rofl:

13 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

:rofl:

Don't shoot the messenger... tried to not listen to any rumours flying about, however,  started to stress a bit due to getting into basel at 8pm on the Wednesday. No chance of recouping losses for cancelling.

Edited by Tour22