European travel thread

The_razors_edge

We_are_the_Hearts

Be a bit weird as some Jambos will be based in Zurich, others in Basel and the rest in St Gallen

Edited by We_are_the_Hearts

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Real Maroonblood

• The Hogfather

• Heartsmad1874

• JimmyCant

The Hogfather
30 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

Booked hotels in Zurich. St Gallen and Belfast and can cancel up until a few days before the match as required. If we get Zurich I think I'll just stay in St Gallen. There seem to be multiple options for flights to airports the wider region of Zurich so should be covered there.

Is anyone planning on travelling to the match themselves? I'm desperate to go to an away game but annoyingly all the people I go to Hearts games with only go to home matches and very rarely travel to away matches so won't have enough loyalty points for this match (and aren't keen on travelling anyway). I'll be going regardless but hopefully I'm not the only one travelling on their tod!

Have you booked your flights yet? I reckon the majority of flights out that way are going to have a strong contingent of Hearts fans aboard. 

I thought there was supposed to be some sort of announcement yesterday confirming dates, venues, kick off times for either of the two ties?  The last tweet Hearts put out was NOT to make any travel arrangements.

14 minutes ago, tazhearts said:

I thought there was supposed to be some sort of announcement yesterday confirming dates, venues, kick off times for either of the two ties?  The last tweet Hearts put out was NOT to make any travel arrangements.

It's frustrating. There is a few in my group who are wondering if Hearts are holding off until this morning to release an article announcing some changes.

29 minutes ago, Tour22 said:

It's frustrating. There is a few in my group who are wondering if Hearts are holding off until this morning to release an article announcing some changes.

Would it not be on the UEFA site if there were any changes?

The Hogfather

I'd reckon no news is good news at this point. Hearts can't confirm anything until our opponents are known, so I wouldn't be expecting any official announcement from them until after the 11th.

44 minutes ago, Tour22 said:

That's certainly my feeling. If there was no changes it surely would have been released by now. I suspect there is still a dispute ongoing re the venue etc.

The Real Maroonblood
11 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

I'd reckon no news is good news at this point. Hearts can't confirm anything until our opponents are known, so I wouldn't be expecting any official announcement from them until after the 11th.

Tend to agree.

These schedules are so tight there’s very little room to change things.

49 minutes ago, cheetah said:

Doubt Hearts can announce anything until they know who we are playing. 

They have tweeted they will be announcing information as soon as possible on multiple occasions now. The announcement was supposed to be last evening initially.

1 hour ago, cheetah said:

Doubt Hearts can announce anything until they know who we are playing. 

They (Uefa) will have to anniunce an either/or situation as soon as possible, don't forget there will be people in Belfast and Zurich trying to arrange potential flights and accommodation in Edinburgh, not forgetting the club's themselves 

the general
17 minutes ago, ericb said:

They (Uefa) will have to anniunce an either/or situation as soon as possible, don't forget there will be people in Belfast and Zurich trying to arrange potential flights and accommodation in Edinburgh, not forgetting the club's themselves 

Good luck with them getting accomodation here

1 hour ago, ericb said:

Youre assuming that UEFA actually care a jot about travelling football fans. Some of their recent decisions on stadia for big finals proves this.

They’re far more likely to take account of one of the big nations TV needs than they are about 1500 Hearts fans champing at the bit for a confirmed travel date 

45 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Youre assuming that UEFA actually care a jot about travelling football fans. Some of their recent decisions on stadia for big finals proves this.

They’re far more likely to take account of one of the big nations TV needs than they are about 1500 Hearts fans champing at the bit for a confirmed travel date 

Agreed but the club's need to make arrangements also 

How many tickets do we normally get for games like this? Loyalty points likely to come into the equation? I've only previously been to Spurs and Liverpool away and I think I got those tickets through other people rather than through my own account (although demand was obviously huge for a game in England).

The Hogfather
7 minutes ago, Stanley_ said:

How many tickets do we normally get for games like this? Loyalty points likely to come into the equation? I've only previously been to Spurs and Liverpool away and I think I got those tickets through other people rather than through my own account (although demand was obviously huge for a game in England).

Absolutely no-one is going to be able to answer that question since we don’t know where we’re going to be playing. 

9 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

Absolutely no-one is going to be able to answer that question since we don’t know where we’re going to be playing. 

155+ loyalty points required for both Linfield and Zurich. 

Heartsmad1874
42 minutes ago, Stanley_ said:

Not sure how high a loyalty point bar they'll set considering there will only be 6 days to sell them from the second leg.

14 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Not sure how high a loyalty point bar they'll set considering there will only be 6 days to sell them from the second leg.

I'd be surprised if large numbers are planning to travel for this game - assuming it's Zurich rather than Linfield. Given the short notice for getting time off, the cost of flights to Switzerland and accommodation in the middle of August - all set against the background of the current cost of living issues. But there is also the fact that we know this won't be our only game in Europe this season. I suspect a lot of folk will be waiting for the group stages (in whichever competition) and will pick one of the two away games to attend.

The Hogfather
22 minutes ago, stirlo said:

I'd be surprised if large numbers are planning to travel for this game - assuming it's Zurich rather than Linfield. Given the short notice for getting time off, the cost of flights to Switzerland and accommodation in the middle of August - all set against the background of the current cost of living issues. But there is also the fact that we know this won't be our only game in Europe this season. I suspect a lot of folk will be waiting for the group stages (in whichever competition) and will pick one of the two away games to attend.

A cursory look on social media (mostly Twitter), it seems like a lot of people are planning to travel and have booked up. There will, obviously, be a good number who will be waiting for the groups. But I'd be surprised if less than 1,000 made the trip out.

1 hour ago, The Hogfather said:

I get that but we only have two possible teams so I don't think it's a ridiculous question. I haven't been to a Hearts game abroad so not sure how many fans we generally take but I realise it varies a lot depending on the country. As others have mentioned, very little time for people to organise this trip as well and three more guaranteed away games.

This is likely to be my only shot at an away European game this season unless there's one in the October half-term (I work in a school in England). 

Portable Badger

Business trip to plant just outside Zurich 'approved' so flights, travel, accommodation and food all sorted !!  .....and no i'm not taking any of you JKB arseholes!!

Just watch Linfield feck it all up for us !!

Edited by Portable Badger

37 minutes ago, stirlo said:

This is my plans but is it not groups of four? Will we not get three away games? 

9 minutes ago, Leisham38 said:

This is my plans but is it not groups of four? Will we not get three away games? 

Ye good point. I'm still stuck in 2004 or whenever it was we played Basel and Feyenoord!

26 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

A cursory look on social media (mostly Twitter), it seems like a lot of people are planning to travel and have booked up. There will, obviously, be a good number who will be waiting for the groups. But I'd be surprised if less than 1,000 made the trip out.

Yes - I'd have thought around 1,200 would be a decent estimate. I was meaning it's unlikely to be like the sort of numbers that travelled to Feyenoord or Bordeaux.

Nucky Thompson
57 minutes ago, stirlo said:

It's 3 away games in the groups, no?

18 minutes ago, Leisham38 said:

Pretty sure that's correct.

1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It's 3 away games in the groups, no?

Yes I think so - my mistake. We're going to have a very busy schedule the next couple of months - even more so considering the pause for the World Cup in November and into December. 

Heartsmad1874
8 minutes ago, stirlo said:

Yes I think so - my mistake. We're going to have a very busy schedule the next couple of months - even more so considering the pause for the World Cup in November and into December. 

Could have two away games one after the other a week apart.

Have only been to one away trip  that was to Braga. If I'm correct I think we took around 4000 over for the match.  It felt like we took over the whole town for the few days we were there. Some trip and hopefully get another couple in this season 

21 minutes ago, Weonly151 said:

Have only been to one away trip  that was to Braga. If I'm correct I think we took around 4000 over for the match.  It felt like we took over the whole town for the few days we were there. Some trip and hopefully get another couple in this season 

I reckon there was half that in Braga, 4-5k in Bordeaux tho 

Jambos_1874
22 hours ago, The Hogfather said:

Have you booked your flights yet? I reckon the majority of flights out that way are going to have a strong contingent of Hearts fans aboard. 

No, not yet. Not willing to risk it until I'm 100% certain the match is going ahead. Hoping to meet a few JTs whatever route I take.

The Hogfather
1 minute ago, Jambos_1874 said:

No, not yet. Not willing to risk it until I'm 100% certain the match is going ahead. Hoping to meet a few JTs whatever route I take.

The Turin route seems to still be the cheapest and there's definitely a few Hearts fans heading that way.

Jambos_1874
5 hours ago, AndyNic said:

155+ loyalty points required for both Linfield and Zurich. 

How do you know this? I'm only on 126 and I was hoping to go. 

Jambos_1874
4 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

The Turin route seems to still be the cheapest and there's definitely a few Hearts fans heading that way.

I can't see any direct flights there. Are most people taking two flights?

The Hogfather
5 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

I can't see any direct flights there. Are most people taking two flights?

The route is Edin - Turin on the Tuesday and then a train to Zurich and onto St Gallen from there. Flying back from Milan on the Saturday afternoon.

10 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

Doesn't know. It was 105 for the derby with 3,800(?) tickets available.

Jambos_1874
3 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

The route is Edin - Turin on the Tuesday and then a train to Zurich and onto St Gallen from there. Flying back from Milan on the Saturday afternoon.

Ah right, cheers. I was looking at a Weds - Fri trip due to work.

The Hogfather
6 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

Ah right, cheers. I was looking at a Weds - Fri trip due to work.

Flight on the Tuesday is at 17:15 if that makes any difference. There's also flights to Milan on the Wednesday and I imagine coming back on the Friday. Would be more expensive I imagine though.

25 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

He doesn't he's just talking complete shite 😂

25 minutes ago, Frank Sidebottom said:

No danger 

I'd imagine show evidence you've got legitimate travel booked and you'll get a ticket 

Edited by ericb

5 minutes ago, ericb said:

I'd imagine show evidence you've got legitimate travel booked and you'll get a ticket 

there will be more than enough tickets for everyone that wants one

1 hour ago, feedtheroman2 said:

Will this game likely be on TV? 

Yes

play Off round usually on BT (rights holders for Europa league and conference)