European travel thread

The_razors_edge

4 minutes ago, SMJ_1874 said:

The game won’t finish till nearly 10pm. Then you’re relying on public transport to get back to Zurich. Doubt they’ll be running a football special just for us. Buses will only hold 30-40 people max and we don’t know if they’ll be plentiful or will be finished drubbing by them. Taxis also doubtful and will be expensive if it’s 45 miles away 

Supposedly there's a train at 23.37 on the Thursday back to Zurich from St Gallen

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Real Maroonblood

• The Hogfather

• Heartsmad1874

• JimmyCant

I've travelled by train a few times in Switzerland and the train system is very good and pretty good value as well, as it's quite heavily subsidised. There are plenty of trains from Zurich to St Gallen and for anyone travelling from Geneva, many of the Geneva to Zurich trains have St Gallen as their final destination.

Gorgierools
1 minute ago, Swelljambo said:

Supposedly there's a train at 23.37 on the Thursday back to Zurich from St Gallen

That will be rammed by home fans surely

Nucky Thompson
3 minutes ago, SMJ_1874 said:

The game won’t finish till nearly 10pm. Then you’re relying on public transport to get back to Zurich. Doubt they’ll be running a football special just for us. Buses will only hold 30-40 people max and we don’t know if they’ll be plentiful or will be finished drubbing by them. Taxis also doubtful and will be expensive if it’s 45 miles away 

Last train 23.37. 

They lobbed us on special trains from De Kuip back to Amsterdam when we played Feyenoord.

Same from Liege back to Brussels.

John Findlay

Another  way to travel. Fly to Stuttgart and get train from their to St Gallen, takes 3hrs 14 minutes with one change. Train fares are quite cheap too.

CloustonHMFC
3 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Eck on Twitter just posted this mate if it helps @CloustonHMFC

image.thumb.png.9cf6c600516b03508c6d88f4ea7aa4c8.png

Cheers mate but the St Gallen stadium is only a two hour drive from me. I don`t really need to travel lol

Pasquale for King
27 minutes ago, SMJ_1874 said:

You would imagine there should be extra transport as their fans have to get back after the game also. 

38 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

The club usually charters a flight for officials and players and helps pay for it by selling the rest of the seats as travel/hotel packages to supporters. I travelled to Mallorca that way. 

I went to Iceland, Germany and Greece with Hearts I was rich then.

kingantti1874

I’ll save it for the groups when I can book with a bit of certainty. 

also. Do we think tickets will be difficult to come by? 

The Old Tolbooth
25 minutes ago, CloustonHMFC said:

Cheers mate but the St Gallen stadium is only a two hour drive from me. I don`t really need to travel lol

Oh apologies haha, you lucky bugger! 🤣

Captain Lithuania
3 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

This. Don’t blame folk for doing so but spending £500+ to watch Hearts abroad is one thing but doing so when they might not even be playing where you’ve booked to go is a completely different kettle of fish. 

54 minutes ago, SMJ_1874 said:

there is also the small matter of thousands of Zurich fans needing to get back home...

Although there is a suburban train stop 500 metres away from the stadium, complete with Bridges of Doom(!)

st g.jpg

Edited by Elljay
details

Kick off likely to be 6pm as per there previous game? 

Campervan trip for me! - £500 in fuel - 18 hours driving -  and dump it outside the stadium. 😇

hmfc_liam06
25 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

This is where I’m at just now as well. 

Not sure if still valid but flying into Geneva and then getting the train may be an option, there used to be plenty of Easyjet flights in and out from UK when I lived there 2011-2015.

invernessjt
1 minute ago, CostaJambo said:

Not sure if still valid but flying into Geneva and then getting the train may be an option, there used to be plenty of Easyjet flights in and out from UK when I lived there 2011-2015.

Innsbruck another possible option.

Heartsmad1874
11 minutes ago, invernessjt said:

Innsbruck another possible option.

You can still book Easyjet Wednesday-Friday to Basel.

2 hours ago, red said:

you went to the wrong place then mate cause Perriera's at the fountain were 2 euro a pint

"Perriera's", you say? I take it that it's pretty easy to score there? 😉

2 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Some laugh when Linfield do the business.

Looking forward to the "Anywhere in Zurich / St Gallen to watch the Linfield v Hearts" threads.

invernessjt
Just now, Heartsmad1874 said:

You can still book Easyjet Wednesday-Friday to Basel.

I'm on holiday in Fussen, Germany that week so only 3 hours away. Just need to gently break the news to the wife about a wee change to the holiday itinerary.  

HeartofIron

The Herald reporting that Hearts are likely to be at home first leg, and away second leg....? 

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/20595480.robbie-neilson-pleased-hearts-europa-league-draw-targets-group-stages/#comments-anchor

Hearts are likely to be at home in the first-leg on August 18 and away a week later, but could have drawn Malmö of Sweden, Greeks Olympiacos, Maribor of Sweden or Turks Fenerbahçe, as well as Neil Lennon’s Omonia Nicosia.

1 hour ago, Newton51 said:

Trains are great in mainland Europe so could be plenty of decent options which won’t have prices spiked

Trains are particularly good in Switzerland and always on time. Capacity likely to be stretched from Zurich with home fans travelling too.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
27 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Some laugh when Linfield do the business.

I remember the last episode when someone had bought their Visa for Krasnodar at great expense 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 minutes ago, Pilmuir said:

Trains are particularly good in Switzerland and always on time. Capacity likely to be stretched from Zurich with home fans travelling too.

I've never seen so many tracks as I saw in Zurich 

There are far too many unknowns in this for me. I really fancy a  European trip as I haven't been on one but will see what the group stages throw up which should allow for easier planning.

6 minutes ago, ericb said:

Anyone care to share details already, I have booked EDI - ZUR on Tuesday night, anyone else?

We might play at home first. Should find out tomorrow.

5 minutes ago, Tams bird said:

We might play at home first. Should find out tomorrow.

Yea playing chicken a wee bit, but paid extra for cancellation cover 

JudyJudyJudy
5 hours ago, mickycameron98 said:

Be prepared to pay top dollar for a visit to Zurich.

I was there 25 years ago and it was dear even then.  Quite a soulless place too.  

Portable Badger

Think I’ll be planning an urgent business trip to visit one of my sister plants in Zurich that week !!!!!

8 minutes ago, Portable Badger said:

Think I’ll be planning an urgent business trip to visit one of my sister plants in Zurich that week !!!!!

OK then 😏

hereford_hearts
2 hours ago, Djnoisy said:

Kick off likely to be 6pm as per there previous game? 

Campervan trip for me! - £500 in fuel - 18 hours driving -  and dump it outside the stadium. 😇

Didn't think of that. I could take the motorhome or the caravan would even have room for 3 others. 

Flight to Basel Tuesday morning- Saturday morning booked … £25 on Linfield to qualify will pay for the flight if the upset happens 🙈

3 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Zurich have confirmed the game is in St Gallen 80 miles away. 

80 kilometres - still a pain though. 

Portable Badger
2 minutes ago, luckydug said:

OK then 😏

So after we’ve pumped them and into the League set up I’ll be praying for a Belgian team as I need to visit that plant anaw !!🤪

3 hours ago, SMJ_1874 said:

Think this will be one of the 17.55 ko’s that evening because of the travel issue.  If it’s a 21.00 ko in St.Gallen then fans won’t get back to Zurich unless there’s a lot of special trains put on. 

2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Another  way to travel. Fly to Stuttgart and get train from their to St Gallen, takes 3hrs 14 minutes with one change. Train fares are quite cheap too.

Is there a direct flight Edinburgh to Stuttgart?

2 hours ago, CostaJambo said:

Yep, just over three hours from Geneva on train. Not cheap though. 

57 minutes ago, 1953 said:

There are far too many unknowns in this for me. I really fancy a  European trip as I haven't been on one but will see what the group stages throw up which should allow for easier planning.

Yep. Had a route planned. £180 return by air plus a short train journey. By the time we all got messages and time off sorted it had gone up to £300 plus and then moving to St Gallen came into the equation and getting back started to look tight, Plus of course the whole thing turns to shit if Linfield were to beat them, so we’ve decided to wait for a group trip when you’ve got a bit more time to research and plan

Edited by JimmyCant

Anyone explain why we might be at home first despite being drawn away first?

Surely not to accommodate Zurich and their concert at stadium?