Your best and worst pints

Jambos_1874

Jambos_1874

Where and what were they? Worst pint for me was in the Gorgie Suite many years ago; I think they poured the trays under the taps into my pint to save a few quid. Was meant to be a McEwans I think. Best pint was in Ireland; an absolutely incredible pint of ice cold Murphys.

Edited by Jambos_1874

Best: 

First (and then every one that followed) jupiler in Belgium in 2000... Absolutely beautiful. Poured in aclay jar, skimmed properly... Apparently the bubbles on the clay if the jar keep it cooler longer than glass...

Worst: a 70/. From old wetherspoons in Livingston. Totally watery, warm and highly undrinkable. Only pint ive evertaken back to bar for exchange. 

I’ve had too many good/great pints to mention.

Probably the worst pint I’ve ever had was in the Penny Black, years and years ago.

Best was from a wee dive of a place in Amsterdam. Beer was called Cornet sure it was about 9%.

Think every pint from spoons is shite.

Konrad von Carstein
25 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Worst pint was in the Cleppy Inn in Dundee.

Best pint is the first one on a Saturday about 5pm after Hearts have won and Hibs have lost.

Surprised at that the Cleppy Inn was tremendous when I had a wee session with my ex's pals husband in there the heavy was top notch. Thought the place was on a par with the Diggers.

This was the 80's though.

Anyway, best "pint" was a bottle of organic wheat beer in Zakopani...also any draft beer in Poland is usually the business!

Worst pint, some lager in the Village pub in Longstone.

Edited by Konrad von Carstein

Konrad von Carstein
5 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Although I was a mere pup back in the 80s, that may not have stopped me drinking in Dundee. However, my experience was much later, early 2000s.

Ah, must've went downhill, I went up there regularly in the 80's as the ex had family and friends up there.

It was held in the same regard as we hold the Diggers at that time.

I had a tremendous pint of Orkney Red McGregor in Ryries yesterday when I got off the train before the match, So good I had to have another. I know Ryries is quite a dear shop, but they look after their ales really well.

Spitonastranger

Best pint was after a day canoeing on Loxh Sween at the bar in Tavallich.

Worst was most bars in England, with their pishy beer and lager 

1 hour ago, whodanny said:

I had a tremendous pint of Orkney Red McGregor in Ryries yesterday when I got off the train before the match, So good I had to have another. I know Ryries is quite a dear shop, but they look after their ales really well.

No fitbaw taps allowed in Ryries yesterday. SHITEHOLE !!!

Just now, Bull's-eye said:

Not true, I was wearing a Hearts top and I saw at least 4 others, this was at lunch time before the game. I saw one guy in a County top go in after the game as I was heading to Haymarket for my train. No idea if he got in.

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Yes it’s went all “ posh “ 

Just now, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yes it’s went all “ posh “ 

It's very much the same as it has always been to me. They don't have so many TV screens, but that's not a big deal, I'm in for a pint and a chat before the game.

14 minutes ago, whodanny said:

Not true, I was wearing a Hearts top and I saw at least 4 others, this was at lunch time before the game. I saw one guy in a County top go in after the game as I was heading to Haymarket for my train. No idea if he got in.

Was after the game.

I've had a lot of good pints. It's honestly hard to just nail down one as a stand out.

The Cairngorm ales when I was up in Aviemore were fantastic.

Worst is easy. There's 2.

A Belhaven Best from Wetherspoons in Glasgow.

And the John Smiths from M&Ds theme park.

Both tasted like they had been watered down and then pissed in. ****ing awful.

1 minute ago, Bull's-eye said:

Was after the game.

So do they have a different policy pre-match to post-match ? That's an odd one. As well as guys wearing tops there were plenty of guys with Hearts scarfs on display too, so there seemed to be no problem with colours.

JudyJudyJudy

I recall the time when I had 5 pints of stella in a pub at Broughton street. I struggled to even stand up and then I pished my jeans before I got home.  It was the best and worse pints of my life. 

Just now, Bauld said:

I've had a lot of good pints. It's honestly hard to just nail down one as a stand out.

The Cairngorm ales when I was up in Aviemore were fantastic.

Worst is easy. There's 2.

A Belhaven Best from Wetherspoons in Glasgow.

And the John Smiths from M&Ds theme park.

Both tasted like they had been watered down and then pissed in. ****ing awful.

Belhaven Best is one of the most insipid, watery crap pints of beer you'll get. Mass produced pish.

1 minute ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I recall the time when I had 5 pints of stella in a pub at Broughton street. I struggled to even stand up and then I pished my jeans before I got home.  It was the best and worse pints of my life. 

😄I don't know whether to be very amused by that or feel bad for you.

Great topic OP! 😁

My best pint was probably when I was in Madrid on a stag do. Pint after pint of that German stuff Pauliner. Was literally going down like water. 

On the other hand however, my worst pint had to be in Bahrain where they poured me a pint of Budweiser in a plastic pint glass which was half head half pint. Warm too! :(

1 minute ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

just laugh . I did the next day when I woke up.

Ok. It's good to laugh at yourself now and again. And may I say, it serves you right for drinking Stella, that stuff gives me a headache if I just look at it.

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, whodanny said:

Ok. It's good to laugh at yourself now and again. And may I say, it serves you right for drinking Stella, that stuff gives me a headache if I just look at it.

I only have one pint of it now and then. I stick to tennents 

Dick Dastardly
13 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

We've all done it! 

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

We've all done it! 

LOL yes i think so. 

Dennis Reynolds

I had a pint of John Smith's in a spoons years ago that was the worst I've ever had by far.

Best would probably be a paulaner/augustiner in Munich. They always hit the spot.

Doctor FinnBarr

Best beer would no doubt be in Delerium in Brussels, wheat beer of some description. More than 2000 beers available, beer menu is like an Argos catalogue.

Worst beer has to be in the Rabbie Burns Lloret de Mar, awful stuff that turned out to be Tennants. Why they thought I'd want to drink that muck in Spain I'll never know.

Harry Potter

best was the Harp lager in the corrie inn, worst was some hotel off haymarket, disgusting, dunno what brand. handed it back, horrible.

Best, pretty much any local lager/bier in Germany

Worst, pint of strongbow in the 1874 bar after one game last season, it was cloudier than a double digit % scrumpy

indianajones

Recently: The Fountain served me a shocking pint. I dont usually complain but i had no option with this one. Certain the 1/4 i managed in a quick gulp gave me the shits for the next two days as well. 

Best: Too many to recall. Anything after doing some sort of hot outdoor activity tastes incredible. 

Best -Diggers 1986

Worst- Centre Parcs / Whinfell Park spewed all night and wasn't even pissed. Followed by the chocolate laser for days.

Auld Reekin'

Best pint: the first one.

Worst pint: the last one.

As others have said, you can't go far wrong with a draught or bottled beer in Germany, but you can't help but go wrong with any of the following: Belhaven or Caledonian "Best"; John Smiths; Budweiser / Carling / Fosters / any other such mass-produced, industrial, shite.

Best - Lagunitas IPA at some dive bar in San Francisco in 2010, spent years trying to find somewhere in the UK that imported cans/bottles afterwards with no luck. Readily available now they're owned by Heineken but the beer has gone downhill. 

Worst - Pretty much any pint of Guinness I've ever been given. 

McEwans or Tennents lager. Chemical soup!

I can drink most lagers but they are just rancid piss water! Somehow Scotland just doesn't do good lager. Happy to be put right on that point but my original point is written in stone!

4 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Best = Younger's 90/- Ale

Worst = To many to mention especially English beers

It sticks in my craw to say it but, there are some beautiful English beers.

Auld Reekin'
1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

It sticks in my craw to say it but, there are some beautiful English beers.

:icon14:  Agreed: some of my favourite cask ales are indeed... :o ...English. 

Remnants of Standards
On 31/07/2022 at 18:40, Konrad von Carstein said:

Surprised at that the Cleppy Inn was tremendous when I had a wee session with my ex's pals husband in there the heavy was top notch. Thought the place was on a par with the Diggers.

This was the 80's though.

Anyway, best "pint" was a bottle of organic wheat beer in Zakopani...also any draft beer in Poland is usually the business!

Worst pint, some lager in the Village pub in Longstone.

Bizarrely heading to zakopane tmrw; any recommendations for a decent pint if you can remember welcome!

Konrad von Carstein
8 minutes ago, Remnants of Standards said:

Bizarrely heading to zakopane tmrw; any recommendations for a decent pint if you can remember welcome!

Oh man! It was a few years ago.

Basically, any draft beer will be excellent in Poland, if you see Debowe give it a shot, one of my favourites is Lech on draft.

Enjoy Zakopane, I loved it, try the big kebabs on skewers and you have to try Soplica shots!

Edit, I'm fairly sure that there are a couple of regional beers that were excellent.

Edited by Konrad von Carstein

That thing you do

Best: Caledonian Blond out of the Carly Tasting Rooms at top of Gorgie

Partial to Belhaven Best too

Hefewisen in Germany

Lapin Kulta (lapland gold) in Finland

Worst:

London Pride

Spitfire 

Chocolate Beer in Belguim

Edited by That thing you do

Remnants of Standards
10 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Oh man! It was a few years ago.

Basically, any draft beer will be excellent in Poland, if you see Debowe give it a shot, one of my favourites is Lech on draft.

Enjoy Zakopane, I loved it, try the big kebabs on skewers and you have to try Soplica shots!

Edit, I'm fairly sure that there are a couple of regional beers that were excellent.

Brilliant cheers for that will give that a go. Just leaving Krakow now

Was on a tour of the Usher's brewery up at St Leonard's back in the mid 70's. At the end of the tour, we were taken to the taproom and allowed a few pints. The beer was like nectar. Absolutely beautiful. Thought we'd carry on drinking Usher's after the tour finished so went down the road to a pub (can't remember the name but it became the Lismore rugby club). The same beer was revolting. Had one but left after that.

Best a pint of Boddingtons Bitter in Manchester a few years back.

Not many pubs sell it now.

Cannot remember the last time I had a bad pint.

Probably back in the 70's or  80's when the coolers were not in use.

Stuart Lyon
3 hours ago, inspector said:

Was on a tour of the Usher's brewery up at St Leonard's back in the mid 70's. At the end of the tour, we were taken to the taproom and allowed a few pints. The beer was like nectar. Absolutely beautiful. Thought we'd carry on drinking Usher's after the tour finished so went down the road to a pub (can't remember the name but it became the Lismore rugby club). The same beer was revolting. Had one but left after that.

The pub was probably the Rock

davemclaren

Too many great beers to pick a best one but I do miss 80/- from the Diggers early 80s. 

worst are probably some of the crap they served up for beer in the 70s with some examples being Double Diamond, Diamond Heavy, Burns Special, Drybrough heavy etc….

Auld Reekin'
24 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Too many great beers to pick a best one but I do miss 80/- from the Diggers early 80s. 

worst are probably some of the crap they served up for beer in the 70s with some examples being Double Diamond, Diamond Heavy, Burns Special, Drybrough heavy etc….

Lorimer's... :boak: