4 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

This was our starting line up. 4-2-3-1 

Robbie got the Starting line up spot on imo 

Gordon 

Smith.     Halkett.  Rowles.   Cochrane

Haring.   Grant. 

Forrest            boyce.             McKay 

Shankland 

We can't have finished the game with a 3-4-3 as if we did we would have only had 2 forward players on the pitch in McKay and shankland at that point, otherwise someone would have had to have been playing out of position 

We would have been more likely to have finished 5-3-2 in which case the ending line up would have been this 

Gordon 

Sibbick.    Halkett.     Rowles 

Atty.                                          Cochrane

Halliday.   Devlin.      Haring 

Shankland.   McKay 

I could have this completely wrong but I reckon we have started with 4-2-3-1 then went to 3-4-3 then went to 5-3-2 in the same game. 3 formation changes 

If u look at our 4 subs, that is Smith, grant, forrest and Boyce off for atty, sibbick, Devlin and halliday 

A defender, midfielder and 2 attacking players for a defender and 3 midfielders 

That is my main issue. We are bringing on 2 defensive midfielder type players to replace 2 attacking type players. Naturally we would have had to sit deeper and invite them on to us at the end. 

I have gave Robbie a ton of credit this season and I am happy with him at the helm and think we are in a great place moving forward but I do think he made mistakes today and it was too much tweaking made in the same game 

Happy to be corrected but rather than be shot down as a neilson hater, which I absolutely ain't, I would prefer an alternative viewpoint and at least another perspective provided to the one I have put forward and above

Edit. Meant to say credit for last season. 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bongo 1874

• Pasquale for King

• Bazzas right boot

• frankblack

Arthur Morgan
46 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

This was our starting line up. 4-2-3-1 

Robbie got the Starting line up spot on imo 

Gordon 

Smith.     Halkett.  Rowles.   Cochrane

Haring.   Grant. 

Forrest            boyce.             McKay 

Shankland 

We can't have finished the game with a 3-4-3 as if we did we would have only had 2 forward players on the pitch in McKay and shankland at that point, otherwise someone would have had to have been playing out of position 

We would have been more likely to have finished 5-3-2 in which case the ending line up would have been this 

Gordon 

Sibbick.    Halkett.     Rowles 

Atty.                                          Cochrane

Halliday.   Devlin.      Haring 

Shankland.   McKay 

I could have this completely wrong but I reckon we have started with 4-2-3-1 then went to 3-4-3 then went to 5-3-2 in the same game. 3 formation changes 

If u look at our 4 subs, that is Smith, grant, forrest and Boyce off for atty, sibbick, Devlin and halliday 

A defender, midfielder and 2 attacking players for a defender and 3 midfielders 

That is my main issue. We are bringing on 2 defensive midfielder type players to replace 2 attacking type players. Naturally we would have had to sit deeper and invite them on to us at the end. 

I have gave Robbie a ton of credit this season and I am happy with him at the helm and think we are in a great place moving forward but I do think he made mistakes today and it was too much tweaking made in the same game 

Happy to be corrected but rather than be shot down as a neilson hater, which I absolutely ain't, I would prefer an alternative viewpoint and at least another perspective provided to the one I have put forward and above

You make fair points there, he got the lineup spot on, I won't criticise him for that. I just didn't think he needed to change things at all, as you said, potentially 3 formation changes in the last 30 mins? No wonder our defence was out of shape! Again, negative subs in a game where Hibs weren't looking like any sort of threat in that 2nd half, but they came back into it after he made those changes. We got deeper and deeper, and eventually conceded a soft goal, which btw Halkett has to do better with imo, he let Youan pass him way too easily there for me. Sibbick gets the abuse but if we stop the cross in the first place they don't score there. Our shape was awful at that point defensively, and Robbie has to partly take the blame for that. 

Edited by Arthur Morgan

Arthur Morgan
56 minutes ago, The Black Prince said:

I thought Rowles had an outstanding game for 80+ minutes. Won heaps of tackles and headers and played some very decent balls forward, but the whole side got ragged towards the end and the defense was all over the place - possibly because of the numerous changes to personnel and shape - and trying to cope with Boyle.

But it was certainly Rowles who was most at fault for the goal. He left his position to go for a challenge, didn't get there, then stumbled when he got turned - thus putting the rest of the defense under huge pressure, and Boyle was never going to miss that chance. If Rowles held his position in the first place their man would've had to control the ball with his back to goal and then deal with Rowles (or whoever he called onto the ball to be first defender). I suspect it was overconfidence on Rowles' part because he'd had such a good game, but he got his timing wrong there. As I said when he joined, it'll take him at least a month to adjust to the SPL to get his timing and decision making right.

That said, the game should've been out of sight by then. Some criminally wasteful finishing - Hearts need some genuine pace up front, not just to create chances but as an outlet when under pressure like the last ten mins yesterday.

Also, not getting the anti-Atkinson commentary. He didn't do much wrong in defense yesterday and made some things happen going forward (despite a couple of overhit passes).

I agree, I thought Rowles was outstanding for the majority of the game. Really impressed with him. 

Also as you said, we are dying for a bit of pace up top, Shankland should do well for us this season but we need something different as an option. 

Edited by Arthur Morgan

6 minutes ago, Arthur Morgan said:

You make fair points there, he got the lineup spot on, I won't criticise him for that. I just didn't think he needed to change things at all, as you said, potentially 3 formation changes in the last 30 mins? No wonder our defence was out of shape! Again, negative subs in a game where Hibs weren't looking like any sort of threat in that 2nd half, but they came back into it after he made those changes. We got deeper and deeper, and eventually conceded a soft goal, which btw Halkett has to do better with imo, he let Youan pass him way too easily there for me. Sibbick gets the abuse but if we stop the cross in the first place they don't score there. Our shape was awful at that point defensively, and Robbie has to partly take the blame for that. 

It's the old adage, if it ain't broke, don't fix it 

I can understand atty for smith (straight swop) but everything else was changed to most probably accommodate Boyle coming on the pitch.

Lbh he ain't that good and ain't worth all of the changes made in my own personal opinion 

I don't mind mistakes fwiw ..... As long as we learn from them 

Geoff Kilpatrick
4 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

It's the old adage, if it ain't broke, don't fix it 

I can understand atty for smith (straight swop) but everything else was changed to most probably accommodate Boyle coming on the pitch.

Lbh he ain't that good and ain't worth all of the changes made in my own personal opinion 

I don't mind mistakes fwiw ..... As long as we learn from them 

Except we had Atkinson and Sibbick ready to come on before Boyle replaced their injured bloke whom I can't remember.

3 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Except we had Atkinson and Sibbick ready to come on before Boyle replaced their injured bloke whom I can't remember.

Must have been when both Smith and grant came off That's when we must have went from the 4-2-3-1 to the 3-4-3.

Based on what you said my question would still be why we changed the 4-2-3-1 if it wasn't to accommodate Boyle ?

I Wonder if Robbie doesn't trust GMs or ginelly anymore as that for me should  have been the like for like replacements for Forrest and Boyce rather than Devlin and halliday. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
12 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

Must have been when both Smith and grant came off That's when we must have went from the 4-2-3-1 to the 3-4-3.

Based on what you said my question would still be why we changed the 4-2-3-1 if it wasn't to accommodate Boyle ?

I Wonder if Robbie doesn't trust GMs or ginelly anymore as that for me should  have been the like for like replacements for Forrest and Boyce rather than Devlin and halliday. 

I actually think he wanted to switch to 3-4-3 irrespective of whether the vermin changed or not and I think that was due to Smith having a hamstring problem because Atkinson is far more effective as a wing-back than a full-back. Plus pushing Cochrane further forward removed Cadden from having any influence on the game. As for Boyle, he obviously scored but he offered bugger all up to that point. Haring continually robbed him when he tried to play in front of our back 3 and any time to tried to come in from the wing a combo of Cochrane and Rowles made sure he did nothing.

90% of this thread would have disappeared had the defence done their jobs in the last minute.

Watt-Zeefuik
15 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

I had originally thought it was because Boyle was coming on, but since others have said we had our players getting ready before Johnson called for Boyle, my hunch is that Smith was fecked and Robbie didn't want Atkinson playing as a fullback.

4 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I actually think he wanted to switch to 3-4-3 irrespective of whether the vermin changed or not and I think that was due to Smith having a hamstring problem because Atkinson is far more effective as a wing-back than a full-back. Plus pushing Cochrane further forward removed Cadden from having any influence on the game. As for Boyle, he obviously scored but he offered bugger all up to that point. Haring continually robbed him when he tried to play in front of our back 3 and any time to tried to come in from the wing a combo of Cochrane and Rowles made sure he did nothing.

90% of this thread would have disappeared had the defence done their jobs in the last minute.

3 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

I had originally thought it was because Boyle was coming on, but since others have said we had our players getting ready before Johnson called for Boyle, my hunch is that Smith was fecked and Robbie didn't want Atkinson playing as a fullback.

Fair enough gents. You both make reasonable points and that makes absolute sense for the first 2 subs and the resultant formation change. 

Still think that Devlin and halliday for Forrest and Boyce was a bit strange considering we had 2 attacking players sitting on the bench, and we could have went almost like for like, but heyho, it's gone now and we move on to next week. 3 points and this will be a distant memory. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
11 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

Fair enough gents. You both make reasonable points and that makes absolute sense for the first 2 subs and the resultant formation change. 

Still think that Devlin and halliday for Forrest and Boyce was a bit strange considering we had 2 attacking players sitting on the bench, and we could have went almost like for like, but heyho, it's gone now and we move on to next week. 3 points and this will be a distant memory. 

I think Devlin for Grant made sense to add fresh legs in there. I would agree with Halliday coming on for Boyce as that was defensive but given it was on the cusp of injury time you could see the logic of sitting on what we had.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
3 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

No need for the abuse, the manager has barely improved a player in all his time at the club. ironically Halkett is one he has. The whole team could’ve better at their goal, but sitting back with no our all us down to the manager.
The defence gave up far too many chances last season, especially in the 343 and as YOU pointed out its happening again. Let’s hope the management team can coach the players how to defend, I won’t hold my breath. 

halkett improved when he lost a stone and a half in weight probably just back to the very good level he was with livi

he had weaknesses tho in that he’s not great pace and was caught on his heels at the goal - he did well not to bring the hibs guy down the hibs guy did well to get a good cross in and Boyle did well to nip infront of sibbick who could have done a bit better but essentially it was good play from hibs

had the coach not soiled himself we wouldn’t have been sitting so deep (again) and that rare good hibs play would have more likely occurred 20 yards from our goal rather than 6 :(

8 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

For those mocking hibs fans for celebrating a draw, we’d do the exact same if we’d just scored a last minute equaliser.

Move on to next week 🇱🇻

You think there would be a pitch invasion for a draw? 

The Black Prince
2 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

But the thread would've been 90% longer if the attack had done their jobs earlier.

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

I recall a tiny one after Jose equalised against Celtic.

Samuel Camazzola
7 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

You honestly thought he would play?

It would have been a possibility since he was going through a thorough fitness assessment on Saturday. 

KyleLafferty

I honestly think the only reason we changed was cause Smith was gubbed. And Neilson didn’t trust Natty after last week or Sibbick to play in a 4. So he put both on to protect the right.

A_A wehatethehibs

Moved on. Think folk going through it too much in heads because only winning is winning for Hearts. Whereas a draw, as usual is like a win for Hibs fans.

It’s a draw, I’m over it, honours even, between 2 pretty even matched sides on the day in what was a pretty crap early season game of football with some rusty players. 

And on paper the draw, in actual fact, is the better result for Hearts than it was Hibs. Despite the respective reactions of the fans. We stay above them in the table, we stay unbeaten in derbies in the 2020s, and we’ve still to play them at home twice… if they can manage to claw their way back to 6th come the split.

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

Ainsley Harriott

Their support are behaving like yesterday was some sort of famous derby triumph. Hate it when they beat us 1-1 

The amount of Hibs fans sending me stuff through after yesterday is embarrassing. A lap of honour after a home draw says all there is to say about them. Wee team mentality. If we had played as rank rotten as that at home in a derby I would have been raging. Don't let them tell you it's due to a last minute equaliser either, they did the same with the 0-0 draw last season at home. That goal will paper over the cracks for them, they are a poor side and will be on the end of some horsing's this season. 

We take our chances we win that 2 or 3 nil. But at the end of the day we had a lapse in concentration thinking the game is won and get caught with a sucker punch. As they say 1-0 is always a dangerous score in football and so it proved to be yesterday. Got to look ahead to Sunday now and get back on track with 3 points against Utd. 

indianajones
14 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

The amount of Hibs fans sending me stuff through after yesterday is embarrassing. A lap of honour after a home draw says all there is to say about them. Wee team mentality. If we had played as rank rotten as that at home in a derby I would have been raging. Don't let them tell you it's due to a last minute equaliser either, they did the same with the 0-0 draw last season at home. That goal will paper over the cracks for them, they are a poor side and will be on the end of some horsing's this season. 

We take our chances we win that 2 or 3 nil. But at the end of the day we had a lapse in concentration thinking the game is won and get caught with a sucker punch. As they say 1-0 is always a dangerous score in football and so it proved to be yesterday. Got to look ahead to Sunday now and get back on track with 3 points against Utd. 

Was just about to come on here and say the same thing. 

Embarrassment from them. 'You couldnt write it' apparently. A lucky 1-1 draw. 

Pasquale for King
6 hours ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

halkett improved when he lost a stone and a half in weight probably just back to the very good level he was with livi

he had weaknesses tho in that he’s not great pace and was caught on his heels at the goal - he did well not to bring the hibs guy down the hibs guy did well to get a good cross in and Boyle did well to nip infront of sibbick who could have done a bit better but essentially it was good play from hibs

had the coach not soiled himself we wouldn’t have been sitting so deep (again) and that rare good hibs play would have more likely occurred 20 yards from our goal rather than 6 :(

Spot on 

Pasquale for King
54 minutes ago, Ked said:

2 points dropped .

There's no other way to look at this.

We looked way ahead of them in every area and should have buried them.

Exactly, and dropping points to inferior teams won’t help us close the gap on the uglies. 

Call it sour grapes, but see if it transpires that the paperwork for thatch heid wasn’t correct …………🥳. Not going to happen I know, but how good would that be

upgotheheads

There are always the super-optimists on here who start every season thinking we're going to beat every other team (other than the arse-cheeks) in every game we play, home and away. From what I've seen so far Dundee United, Aberdeen and H1b5 have played some decent football and are probably better than last season. Ross county were no slouches last week and were still in the game against Celtic with a couple of minutes to go on Saturday.

There were spells in yesterdays' game when H1b5 pressed us hard and they could easily have scored before they did. Similarly we could have put the game beyond reach in the second half yesterday, and overall we were the better team for sure, but 5h1t happens as they say. We were hanging on for the last five minutes yesterday, and if injury time had been four minutes instead of five we would have one. Them's the breaks as I recall an ars****e saying in parliament quite recently.

Ex member of the SaS

First chance to post and only managed to get the result on the radio after the game. The Hibs manager summed it up nicely when he said his fans would go away happy. Watched the highlights and the manager and his staff celebrating a last minute goal shows how much they think a draw is a good result against us. We really should have finished them off and can only hope the team score those goals missed as they get match fit ( fitter ) as the season progresses. Really gutted that they scored for a draw but it's another game on their home patch they have failed to best us. FTH.

Ok, like everyone else was disappointed to lose a goal in the last minute, however we move on to Sunday against Dunderheid Untd. Yesterday was deffo 2pts dropped we should have seen it out. We were the better team over the piece but I remind people we have done the same to them on many occasions. Let them enjoy their point!! until the next time at Tynecastle, were I have no doubt we will beat them.

12 hours ago, Arthur Morgan said:

I agree he started with an attacking lineup. We were cruising at 1-0 up, that's a fact. They had 0 shots in that 2nd half up until he made those negative changes. Yes, 0 shots, not 1 attempted. You don't change something that's working, like why? There was no need for it, even some Hibs fans were saying Robbie went too defensive, and I agree.

RN got his tactics wrong, it’s a weakness he needs to improve. He has been getting better, but needs to improve further. The draw is on him and his team. We should have won that game.

6 minutes ago, McCrae said:

RN got his tactics wrong, it’s a weakness he needs to improve. He has been getting better, but needs to improve further. The draw is on him and his team. We should have won that game.

Tactics and formation were spot on for the majority of the game until he decided to switch to 3-4-3 

8 minutes ago, McCrae said:

Cover all bases ? It was the managers and the players fault. Insightful. 😂 

Edited by Dazo

The more I think about yesterday, the poorest decision from the manager wasn’t Sibbick & the 3-4-3 switch, it was the fact he left us with nothing up top. No threat, no pace, no nothing.

Boyce and Shankland were clearly dead on their feet after about 70 mins. Either GMS, Henderson or Ginnelly should have been on to offer something - now I don’t particularly think any of those three are up to much but you’re only asking them to do a simple shift.

If they were overlooked yesterday, they clearly are not trusted by RN - so why are they on the bench in the first place? To make up the numbers? In that case, recruitment still has a long way to go!

In a game we were once dominating, he left us with no attacking threat all of a sudden, cue the 5 minutes of injury time and the inevitable onslaught against a defensive setup we know isn’t the best.

Poor game management imo

40 minutes ago, liam11 said:

The more I think about yesterday, the poorest decision from the manager wasn’t Sibbick & the 3-4-3 switch, it was the fact he left us with nothing up top. No threat, no pace, no nothing.

Boyce and Shankland were clearly dead on their feet after about 70 mins. Either GMS, Henderson or Ginnelly should have been on to offer something - now I don’t particularly think any of those three are up to much but you’re only asking them to do a simple shift.

If they were overlooked yesterday, they clearly are not trusted by RN - so why are they on the bench in the first place? To make up the numbers? In that case, recruitment still has a long way to go!

In a game we were once dominating, he left us with no attacking threat all of a sudden, cue the 5 minutes of injury time and the inevitable onslaught against a defensive setup we know isn’t the best.

Poor game management imo

Players just had to defend for 30 seconds FFS.

44 minutes ago, liam11 said:

Poor game management imo

Said the same to my mate at the game. Why not throw Ginnelly on instead of Halliday, would have gave us more of an out ball. Halliday coming on was really a nothing substitution, a forward player to chase from the front would have been more effective.  

5 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Players just had to defend for 30 seconds FFS.

It's the most frustrating thing, just had one more phase of play to see out and the game was ours. To let them have a throw halfway inside their own half to then score 20 seconds later was very poor. 

jambocall51
7 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

It's the most frustrating thing, just had one more phase of play to see out and the game was ours. To let them have a throw halfway inside their own half to then score 20 seconds later was very poor. 

felt that Cochrane could've done a little better by stop Boyle when he began to run with the ball

52 minutes ago, liam11 said:

Poor game management imo

This in spades....!!

I was shouting for Gino / GMS to be brought onto to replace the guys up top as they had run their legs into the ground...get some fresh legs and pace and keep running at them, don't sit back

McKey had a half chance with a through ball.....and someone with pace could have latched onto that made it a better chance

All ifs and buts though.....

Absolutely gutted about the result yesterday but I think that alone tells the story of how far a head of hibs we are. That was our second competitive match, their sixth, and we strolled it for large portions. A draw against us at Easter road is a massive result for the spoon burners. 

Hibs should be hammered for the object throwing. Without the added on time for the verminous behaviour of their spoon burning fans, they're not scoring that goal. 

Shooter McGavin
8 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

When did I say suggest that, mate?

JudyJudyJudy
4 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Their support are behaving like yesterday was some sort of famous derby triumph. Hate it when they beat us 1-1 

lol

Shooter McGavin

“Aye we’ve just scored an equaliser in the 95th minute against our biggest rivals, but we better calm down with the celebrations cause it’s only a draw at the end of the day”

Said absolutely nobody, ever.

Ex member of the SaS
2 hours ago, liam11 said:

Poor game management imo

This has been my biggest criticism of Robbie. He can't seem to see what subs will improve the team and often makes changes for the sake of it. ( at least that's how it appears to me ). As you said why not bring on one of these players, often they don't perform well due to lack of game time and often get slagged off for it. Last week he took off both goal scorer's at the same time and it lead to a disruption that allowed them to score. It would appear his subs yesterday did the same. Reading the game and making insightful subs is core to being a good manager, this for me is where Robbie fails.

Cant really claim a massive overeaction to a draw , was similar scenes when Ozturk pulled it off at ER.

Was ridiculous tactics to sit back for that amount of time and invite Hibs in. Everytime Gordon caught a chance he refused to throw out and initiate a counter attack which was just as frustrating. Holding on to a one goal cushion for 20 minutes instead of putting the game to bed and paying the price for it, seems all too familiar with Neilson, he really needs to commit to attacking side and not bottle it prematurely. 

I like the look of Shankland , loved the Cammy Devlin style of getting in everyones faces at the weekend and even though he did knock a ball out of the box at one point , I think our out and out number 9 should never be that far back that early in the game, especially considering how much Gordon loves a long ball.

Its only game two but losing points like that is what causes the OF to start opening up the gap.

maroonlegions
1 hour ago, Shooter McGavin said:

“Aye we’ve just scored an equaliser in the 95th minute against our biggest rivals, but we better calm down with the celebrations cause it’s only a draw at the end of the day”

Said absolutely nobody, ever.

Meanwhile... 

298209075_356590933339960_3495344319586612653_n.jpg

That dvd post is top notch!

In life shit happens, it happened to us yesterday life goes on. Tbh after passing up so many chances to score again I was waiting for this to happen and lo and behold.

Another draw another honour for them to celebrate!

Edited by Turkishcap

Салатные палочки
1 hour ago, maroonlegions said:

Meanwhile... 

298209075_356590933339960_3495344319586612653_n.jpg

That's pure genius :look:

3 hours ago, jambocall51 said:

felt that Cochrane could've done a little better by stop Boyle when he began to run with the ball

Yeah even just wipe him out and take the booking.

32 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Yeah even just wipe him out and take the booking.

Rowles I think it may have been had the chance to tug his jersey or trip him 40 yards out, looked like he thought about it too.  Hindsight is wonderful but at that point, its a take one for the team type scenario*

*caveat being they score from the set-piece and it's "why did Rowles give away a daft foul" etc