***Official Heart of Midlothian v H1b5 Match Day Thread***

Wee Mikey

Arthur Morgan

Sorry, but Robbie has absolutely shat it today. He has to take responsibility for that result. He changed things the minute Boyle came on, who isn't even fit! We were cruising with the 4231 and as usual, goes back to his 343 that he's obsessed with. That cost us the win today. 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bongo 1874

• Pasquale for King

• Bazzas right boot

• frankblack

4 minutes ago, Arthur Morgan said:

Sorry, but Robbie has absolutely shat it today. He has to take responsibility for that result. He changed things the minute Boyle came on, who isn't even fit! We were cruising with the 4231 and as usual, goes back to his 343 that he's obsessed with. That cost us the win today. 

Out of curiosity, would you have kept Boyce and Shankland on to maintain the 4231 or brought on Gino, GMS or Henderson?

1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

You don't even hide it anymore. 

Beyond Rabid. 

When we beat Utd next week you'll be silienced for a week. 

I hope Hearts win against united, what I will say there workrate, closing player's down, aggressiveness, the desire to work as hard, when they don't have the ball has to be far better. 

Europe well it could get messy. 

That's not even worth thinking about, until we have removed our fingers from our arses. 

Read the post below. 

1 hour ago, frankblack said:

I'm a realist and not a fantasist.  I realise we aren't as good as some think and need to strengthen.  I also realise we will drop points and lose games from time to time.

The financial reality is that we are miles behind the top two and not much different from the chasing pack, some who have bigger budgets than us.

The reality is we chucked that game today, Robbie upset the team with the formation change. 

If you watch Hibs goal the ball is in there half with a throw, we are sitting deep with a back 5, the Hibs striker drags Rowles away but the ball drops in midfield with the Hibs striker holding It up with back to goal, the midfield is non existent. 

Rowles should be passing him on, but feels he has to follow the striker due to playing a back 5 and thinking he has Halkett and Sibbick as cover. 

But if that extra man is in midfield 🙄 instead of defence, the goal is prevented, there was no need for a back 5. 

Then the effort to recover and get back in. 

Nothing to do with wage budgets etc we had the game won a bawhair away, and the gaffers negativity killed it. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

Fozzyonthefence
6 minutes ago, frankblack said:

None of those on the bench have done much at this level to justify your claim we would have been effective.

Its more likely they would be too lightweight to hold onto the ball.

Its pure hindsight and wishful thinking.

The truth is we need another striker of the Simms type and better options in midfield.  Beni will make a big difference but that might be Christmas.

Agree about Beni and Simms.  The first part we’ll never know.  What we do know is the subs didn’t work because we failed to see out a game that were in complete control of all second half until injury time when they had their 3 best chances of the match and eventually put one away. 

You’re also missing the point - they didn’t have to do much, didn’t have to score.  Just give the defence and midfield an out ball, make runs to the corners, chase the back 4 down.  The players and manager managed the end of the game very poorly.  

19 minutes ago, Arthur Morgan said:

Think he had made the changes before Boyle came on. 

3 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Agree about Beni and Simms.  The first part we’ll never know.  What we do know is the subs didn’t work because we failed to see out a game that were in complete control of all second half until injury time when they had their 3 best chances of the match and eventually put one away. 

You’re also missing the point - they didn’t have to do much, didn’t have to score.  Just give the defence and midfield an out ball, make runs to the corners, chase the back 4 down.  The players and manager managed the end of the game very poorly.  

I think we did manage the last few minutes poorly. Craig caught the ball a fair few times and we won enough fouls to kill the remaining time. 

I though the issue at the end was more one of personnel. Haring was knackered. I’d have had him off instead of Grant. Would have left Forrest as the striker like we did v County when it was clear Boyce and Shankland had run their race. Needed to maintain a bit more mobility IMO - but really should have run out the clock in a more professional manner. 

They were spawny AF to get anything regardless. 

Not going to get bent out of shape about it. We will learn from it. 

Am i mentally deranged or was that Shankland picking up, balboa about 30 seconds before Hibs scored and he header it over, the excuses are chronic been brought in as a striker, yet he's defending more than our actual defence. 

I could really Pick the whole team apart including Robbie, but I will leave it. 

6 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Nope

Yep, I’ll give you all three came on at same time however Sibbick and Atkinson were stripped and on the touchline before Johnson signalled to Boyle that he going on.  Boyle at that point was behind our goal line. 

Arthur Morgan
26 minutes ago, CMc said:

Out of curiosity, would you have kept Boyce and Shankland on to maintain the 4231 or brought on Gino, GMS or Henderson?

Definitely would have taken them off. I would have put GMS through the middle and Henderson up top, or McKay through the middle and GMS on the wing. Gives us a bit of pace up top with them chasing it. Every decision he made today at 1-0 up was a negative one, imo. 

Edited by Arthur Morgan

3 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Am i mentally deranged or was that Shankland picking up, balboa about 30 seconds before Hibs scored and he header it over, the excuses are chronic been brought in as a striker, yet he's defending more than our actual defence. 

Is that a promise?

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

A striker defending..... 

ab67616d0000b2734d27dc3841eb0b97fba9c936.jpeg

17 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Yep, I’ll give you all three came on at same time however Sibbick and Atkinson were stripped and on the touchline before Johnson signalled to Boyle that he going on.  Boyle at that point was behind our goal line. 

The fact that Boyle was coming on is not relevant. If you’re that sacred of him, put a man marker on and keep him quiet

Listen. Neilson has improved as a manager in the last 2 years and he’s deserved to be where he is and get an extension, but he’s made a horrible mistake today with his substitutions and his tactics with half an hour to go. We went from very comfortable to under pressure very very quickly. It’s not like he didn’t have options on the bench that would have kept us front foot. He’s thrown them the initiative. He’s parked the bus with half an hour to go at 1-0 when we were well on top, and to be honest, we’re no where near good enough defensively to carry it off. We get results because our front players are difficult to contain. He’s done it before in derbies and been caught out. WTAF was he thinking.

Hibs we’re really REALLY poor today and we had them in our pocket. That Hibs team will be lucky to win 10 games this season. Im not as angry now as I was a few hours ago but this needs to be the last time and we move on

Edited by JimmyCant

5 minutes ago, Arthur Morgan said:

Definitely would have taken them off. I would have put GMS through the middle and Henderson up top, or McKay through the middle and GMS on the wing. Gives us a bit of pace up top with them chasing it. Every decision he made today at 1-0 up was a negative one, imo. 

It was the difficulty of starting all the key attackers I guess. was always going to skew what was left towards the defensive - especially if a few on the bench weren’t fully fit. The alternative would have been the inexperienced members of the squad or those who often go missing in big games.

In retrospect it is glaringly obvious we needed to keep a forward on as an out ball. 

Hopefully we get a few more in so the bench has more options. 

1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

The fact that Boyle was coming on is not relevant. 

Listen. Neilson has improved as a manager in the last 2 years and he’s deserved to be where he is and get an extension, but he’s made a horrible mistake today with his substitutions and his tactics with half an hour to go. We went from very comfortable to under pressure very very quickly. It’s not like he didn’t have options on the bench that would have kept us front foot. He’s thrown them the initiative. He’s parked the bus with half an hour to go at 1-0 when we were well on top, and to be honest, we’re no where near good enough defensively to carry it off. We get results because our front players are difficult to contain. He’s done it before in derbies and been caught out. WTAF was he thinking.

Im not as angry now as I was a few hours ago but this needs to be the last time and we move on

We still have the same problem as the cup final.  Our first XI is good but there isn't the quality on the bench to pick from.

We haven't addressed that.

SectionDJambo

Not going to panic just yet. The final outcome was disappointing today and we struggled for spells against Ross County last week. Maybe we are underestimating the value of competitive games.

Although against lower leagues opposition, County and Hibs both had 4 real games in the League Cup, albeit Hibs failed miserably to qualify out of their group. We, on the other hand, played friendly matches against opposition which, whilst to be respected, were hardly top notch. Those friendly matches did not simulate competitive matches in any way, especially with so many substitutes allowed. How many Hearts players actually played a full 90 minutes before our real season started? 
Hopefully, now we’ve had a couple of competitive matches, the players match fitness and sharpness will be up to the levels required to last a full 90 minutes, which didn’t seem to be the case for some of them today.

Arthur Morgan
11 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

The fact that Boyle was coming on is not relevant. If you’re that sacred of him, put a man marker on and keep him quiet

Hibs we’re really REALLY poor today and we had them in our pocket. That Hibs team will be lucky to win 10 games this season. Im not as angry now as I was a few hours ago but this needs to be the last time and we move on

Absolutely 100% spot on mate. 

8 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Not going to panic just yet. The final outcome was disappointing today and we struggled for spells against Ross County last week. Maybe we are underestimating the value of competitive games.

Although against lower leagues opposition, County and Hibs both had 4 real games in the League Cup, albeit Hibs failed miserably to qualify out of their group. We, on the other hand, played friendly matches against opposition which, whilst to be respected, were hardly top notch. Those friendly matches did not simulate competitive matches in any way, especially with so many substitutes allowed. How many Hearts players actually played a full 90 minutes before our real season started? 
Hopefully, now we’ve had a couple of competitive matches, the players match fitness and sharpness will be up to the levels required to last a full 90 minutes, which didn’t seem to be the case for some of them today.

Decent points but we’ve been back in full training for 6 weeks and by now there ought to be no one who can’t do 90 minutes. There’s been a question mark over our fitness and stamina levels for a couple of years now IMO and we won’t be able to fix it now to any degree as we’re coming into the 2 games a week phase very shortly where you just can’t put hard sessions on very often 

Arthur Morgan
2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Decent points but we’ve been back in full training for 6 weeks and by now there ought to be no one who can’t do 90 minutes. There’s been a question mark over our fitness and stamina levels for a couple of years now IMO and we won’t be able to fix it now to any degree as we’re coming into the 2 games a week phase very shortly where you just can’t put hard sessions on very often 

The Scottish Cup Final springs to mind. We looked absolutely dead on our feet in ET.

1 minute ago, Arthur Morgan said:

The Scottish Cup Final springs to mind. We looked absolutely dead on our feet in ET.

Indeed we were, but there was at least some excuse there. We had at least 5 players carrying niggles at the end of a season and we’d had the cigars and slippers out since the semi final. This is week 2 and we had 3-4 players blowing out their backsides at 70 minutes.

julienbrellier

There’s no need to get all excited about their “celebration” last kick of the ball, expected. We expect more from our team and the game should have been dead and buried. Ultimately this will have zero bearing on our season. Hibs looked extremely poor for long periods and will be nowhere near it come next May. Bottom 6 side unless Boyle can inspire them every game, won’t happen.

once we are playing Zurich and euro group stages beckon, or to be honest before that even, all of this will be forgotten. Apart from blowing it last minute performance of our key players really good at times, 2 criticisms though:

- Sibbick really struggled wouldn’t want to rely on him again this season 

- negative tactical change from Neilson and trying to defend it out from 75 mins made their goal not a massive surprise. 4-2-3-1 from now on I think 

Arthur Morgan
11 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Indeed we were, but there was at least some excuse there. We had at least 5 players carrying niggles at the end of a season and we’d had the cigars and slippers out since the semi final. This is week 2 and we had 3-4 players blowing out their backsides at 70 minutes.

That's true. Yeah, pretty alarming to see tbh so early into the season. I worry that our involvement in Europe this season will cost us in the league. 

south morocco
37 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Totally agree. Shit it the last 20 mins, frustrating 

Arthur Morgan
1 minute ago, julienbrellier said:

4-2-3-1 from now on I think

Please. But sadly, Robbie loves the 343 so we'll probably go back to that.

2 minutes ago, julienbrellier said:

4-2-3-1 from now on I think 

That is the correct formation we need to employ.

RN won’t change his plan though.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 hour ago, Arthur Morgan said:

Shat it by starting with our most attacking team in nearly a year?

Take a break mate your having a laugh. 

If people like you were so correct with your views that team would or should have been out of sight way in advance of the last 15 minutes.

Truth is our most attacking team - and the team nearly all fans would have chosen - wasnt good enough to get a couple of goals ahead of Hibs.

Thats the reality.

Throwing on second rate attackers in the last 10 minutes wouldn’t have helped one bit.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

We didn’t need a match winner as we were already 1-0 up.  We just needed a simple out ball.  Boyce had cramp and Shankland looked ****ed,  plus Forrest had been anonymous.  We had Ginnelly and GMS on the bench plus I think Henderson too who has bags of pace.  Just someone to run the channels for 10 minutes and put their defence under pressure.  But the subs were all defensive and we were left with **** all up front.  

I liked the starting 11, very positive compared to the one last week. But the substitutions were very disappointing. 

My sentiments exactly! 
:clap:

49 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Virtually no options on bench that he could trust. 

Aussie Jambo

This is disgusting. 

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02AoRyBXn3GNV2x17Nez5zV9TF3ZZv4XffG1h6u4Eep4WeaRiDb3scydEjwUNHBcpkl&id=152862064746094

Over exuberance? **** off. 

They should’ve heavily fined for many objects being thrown throughout thd game caught on camera. Plus Hibs fans being allowed to invade the pitch yet again. That in fairness could easily have started a riot. 

I think as hearts fans need to make complaints to SFA & SPLabout this. Remember we were front page news when popcorn teeth got hit with a 10p coin on the napper plus the bam the tried to UFC him and missed by a mile. 

We got into big shit for that. We’ve no idea of what happened to our players as SKY managed rto miss them all on the pitch. 

Just need to film it from the game on phone and make it available. Plus send emails to SFA & SPL asking what’s going to be done about it? Hibs won’t do shit that’s for damn sure. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

I'll bet that hibs team takes points of Aberdeen and Dundee utd along with  points of the of. 

No idea why folk think we'll beat every team home and way. 

10 wins is irrelevant. 

Utd finished 4th with 12 wins last season, Wtf has 10 wins got to do with anything? 

Edited by Bazzas right boot

1 minute ago, Aussie Jambo said:

This is disgusting. 

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02AoRyBXn3GNV2x17Nez5zV9TF3ZZv4XffG1h6u4Eep4WeaRiDb3scydEjwUNHBcpkl&id=152862064746094

They should’ve heavily fined for many objects being thrown throughout thd game caught on camera. Plus Hibs fans being allowed to invade the pitch yet again. That in fairness could easily have started a riot. 

I think as hearts fans need to make complaints to SFA & SPLabout this. Remember we were front page news when popcorn teeth got hit with a 10p coin on the napper plus the bam the tried to UFC him and missed by a mile. 

We got into big shit for that. We’ve no idea of what happened to our players as SKY managed rto miss them all on the pitch. 

Just need to film it from the game on phone and make it available. Plus send emails to SFA & SPL asking what’s going to be done about it? Hibs won’t do shit that’s for damn sure. 

They think they can do anything they like since the Scottish cup final riot. Which they called perfectly justified.

Watt-Zeefuik
2 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Just not true, sorry. Sibbick and Atkinson were stripped and on the touchline before Johnson called to Boyle who was warming up behind our goals. 
Yet again you just make stuff up.  Clearly the biggest non-truth peddler on this forum.  

Hand up, I missed this. I thought Robbie was subbing in response to Boyle coming on. Hibs had their change registered with the ref first so I thought it was a reaction.

2 hours ago, RudiSkacel51 said:

So Halliday for Boyce and Natty for Forrest whilst changing to a back 5 when you still have attacking players isn't more defensive?

Sometimes our 3-4-3 becomes a back 5 but it certainly didn't today. Atkinson and Cochrane played as true wide midfielders today.

Aussie Jambo
2 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

They think they can do anything they like since the Scottish cup final riot. Which they called perfectly justified.

Correct. If nothing is done then the bawz burst. These wee fuds will be doing it all over Scotland and fighting on the terraces will happen all over again. You watch. I’ll be surprised if SPL/SFA do hee haw. 

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Bunch of scum bags 

Arthur Morgan
17 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Shat it by starting with our most attacking team in nearly a year?

Take a break mate your having a laugh. 

If people like you were so correct with your views that team would or should have been out of sight way in advance of the last 15 minutes.

Truth is our most attacking team - and the team nearly all fans would have chosen - wasnt good enough to get a couple of goals ahead of Hibs.

Thats the reality.

Throwing on second rate attackers in the last 10 minutes wouldn’t have helped one bit.

I agree he started with an attacking lineup. We were cruising at 1-0 up, that's a fact. They had 0 shots in that 2nd half up until he made those negative changes. Yes, 0 shots, not 1 attempted. You don't change something that's working, like why? There was no need for it, even some Hibs fans were saying Robbie went too defensive, and I agree.

Edited by Arthur Morgan

1 minute ago, Arthur Morgan said:

Nah I disagree with you. We were cruising at 1-0 up, that's a fact. They had 0 shots in that 2nd half up until he made those negative changes. Yes, 0 shots, not 1 attempted. You don't change something that's working, like why? There was no need for it, even some Hibs fans were saying Robbie went too defensive, and I agree.

I like the 343...but there was absolutely no reason to do it and especially with those subs today.

Arthur Morgan
1 minute ago, Taffin said:

I like the 343...but there was absolutely no reason to do it and especially with those subs today.

Exactly, there was no reason at all. I checked the stats and they had 0 attempts in the 2nd half up until that point. 

Edited by Arthur Morgan

4 minutes ago, Arthur Morgan said:

I agree he started with an attacking lineup. We were cruising at 1-0 up, that's a fact. They had 0 shots in that 2nd half up until he made those negative changes. Yes, 0 shots, not 1 attempted. You don't change something that's working, like why? There was no need for it, even some Hibs fans were saying Robbie went too defensive, and I agree.

You have to change it if your right back has done his hammy I think. When the replacement right back isn’t good defensively you might consider changing from back four to a five and see the game out. 

12 minutes ago, Aussie Jambo said:

This is disgusting. 

They arseholes got away with pitch invation and half a million pounds with the damage at hampden when they beat rangers in the final! Scum .

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, Arthur Morgan said:

Nah I disagree with you. We were cruising at 1-0 up, that's a fact. They had 0 shots in that 2nd half up until he made those negative changes. Yes, 0 shots, not 1 attempted. You don't change something that's working, like why? There was no need for it, even some Hibs fans were saying Robbie went too defensive, and I agree.

Spot on. 

16 minutes ago, Aussie Jambo said:

This is disgusting. 

Hit his jacket allegedly.. coin ever found?

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Did he coach them not to be able to tackle a bog standard winger?

Come on, if you dont think Halkett could have done better to block that cross then I don’t think you’ve watched more than 2 games of professional football.m

Dont be a dick and blame every player mistake as a stick to hit Robbie with.

You know that’s just being a ***** don’t you?

No need for the abuse, the manager has barely improved a player in all his time at the club. ironically Halkett is one he has. The whole team could’ve better at their goal, but sitting back with no our all us down to the manager.
The defence gave up far too many chances last season, especially in the 343 and as YOU pointed out its happening again. Let’s hope the management team can coach the players how to defend, I won’t hold my breath. 

The Black Prince

I thought Rowles had an outstanding game for 80+ minutes. Won heaps of tackles and headers and played some very decent balls forward, but the whole side got ragged towards the end and the defense was all over the place - possibly because of the numerous changes to personnel and shape - and trying to cope with Boyle.

But it was certainly Rowles who was most at fault for the goal. He left his position to go for a challenge, didn't get there, then stumbled when he got turned - thus putting the rest of the defense under huge pressure, and Boyle was never going to miss that chance. If Rowles held his position in the first place their man would've had to control the ball with his back to goal and then deal with Rowles (or whoever he called onto the ball to be first defender). I suspect it was overconfidence on Rowles' part because he'd had such a good game, but he got his timing wrong there. As I said when he joined, it'll take him at least a month to adjust to the SPL to get his timing and decision making right.

That said, the game should've been out of sight by then. Some criminally wasteful finishing - Hearts need some genuine pace up front, not just to create chances but as an outlet when under pressure like the last ten mins yesterday.

Also, not getting the anti-Atkinson commentary. He didn't do much wrong in defense yesterday and made some things happen going forward (despite a couple of overhit passes).

45 minutes ago, Arthur Morgan said:

Exactly, there was no reason at all. I checked the stats and they had 0 attempts in the 2nd half up until that point. 

This was our starting line up. 4-2-3-1 

Robbie got the Starting line up spot on imo 

Gordon 

Smith.     Halkett.  Rowles.   Cochrane

Haring.   Grant. 

Forrest            boyce.             McKay 

Shankland 

We can't have finished the game with a 3-4-3 as if we did we would have only had 2 forward players on the pitch in McKay and shankland at that point, otherwise someone would have had to have been playing out of position 

We would have been more likely to have finished 5-3-2 in which case the ending line up would have been this 

Gordon 

Sibbick.    Halkett.     Rowles 

Atty.                                          Cochrane

Halliday.   Devlin.      Haring 

Shankland.   McKay 

I could have this completely wrong but I reckon we have started with 4-2-3-1 then went to 3-4-3 then went to 5-3-2 in the same game. 3 formation changes 

If u look at our 4 subs, that is Smith, grant, forrest and Boyce off for atty, sibbick, Devlin and halliday 

A defender, midfielder and 2 attacking players for a defender and 3 midfielders 

That is my main issue. We are bringing on 2 defensive midfielder type players to replace 2 attacking type players. Naturally we would have had to sit deeper and invite them on to us at the end. 

I have gave Robbie a ton of credit this season and I am happy with him at the helm and think we are in a great place moving forward but I do think he made mistakes today and it was too much tweaking made in the same game 

Happy to be corrected but rather than be shot down as a neilson hater, which I absolutely ain't, I would prefer an alternative viewpoint and at least another perspective provided to the one I have put forward and above