Commonwealth Games

Malinga the Swinga

JudyJudyJudy

Just feels like yesterday when Liz Lynch won ! Well done to her daughter ! Fabulous 

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Malinga the Swinga

• neilnunb

• whodanny

• Victorian

Just now, The White Cockade said:

Brilliant run by her

Wasn’t too confident with 200 to go but great finish to the race

Unbelievable that race was only on red button 

No way it wasn’t on the main channel if she was English 

Live on BBC1 here.

Still buzzing from that.  Not a single UK athlete deserved an overdue success more than her.  Maw won the world championship but that might be a step too far.  But this is brilliant.

JudyJudyJudy

Anyone know who the Asian woman was who was in Mc colgan support group . My pal says it was her partner but I checked online and Mc colgan has a male partner . 

JudyJudyJudy
7 minutes ago, whodanny said:

Live on BBC1 here.

It was live on council telly 

It was live on BBC1 where I watched it, apart from them cutting away a couple of times for field events and a swimming final or two, which is kind of expected when it's a 30 min race

3 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Anyone know who the Asian woman was who was in Mc colgan support group . My pal says it was her partner but I checked online and Mc colgan has a male partner . 

Yeah her partner is Rimmer

Michael Rimmer that is.

I think someone suggested the track & field moved to the iplayer when they cut away to highlights.  They didn't make it clear that they were going back to it.

Edited by Victorian

JudyJudyJudy
9 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Yeah her partner is Rimmer

Michael Rimmer that is.

😮 yes I didn’t want to write his name 

But it was on my lips 

BD5D21BA-2D76-47D8-A227-3ACA16641C99.png

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

Malinga the Swinga

Well swimming events lived up to hype. Don't begrudge England won in relay and we grabbed bronze in any case.

Ross Murdoch swam his best for years, Shanahan did well with 2 bronze while in relays, loads of Scots swimmers got medals thanks to the rules.

Honestly think the atmosphere in pool is best in multi sport games and they rattle through events at pace.

GB will have awesome swim team in Paris 2024.

Malinga the Swinga

What happened to English 100m runner in final? Looked like he gave up after 20 metres. Kenyan guy won well but Sri Lankan boy for a bronze which must be their best result in athletics.

The White Cockade
1 minute ago, Sooperstar said:

Nope, the coverage is the same in all BBC regions.

Not on Sky BBC1 HD it wasn’t 

Malinga the Swinga

Jamaican gold in 100m women's race. You can't give Olympic champion a big lead as Neita did.

Hope tomorrow is as good as today.

What a run, the pub gradually went from talking shite to watching the last few laps. Fantastic seeing her cuddling her mum at the end 

Roxy Hearts

I didn't see it live as was working so watched the highlights. Absolutely brilliant by Eilish and I had a tear in my eye also when Flower of Scotland was played. She deserved it  through years of dedication and the weight of history because of her Mum.

manaliveits105

It’s a shame Martin Boyle chose Australia as his country as he could have been in the medals for us at the pool 

Malinga the Swinga

Quiet couple of days leading up to finals on track at weekend. Hopefully we pick up couple of medals in bowls to tick us over till then.

Men's 1500m final on lunchtime Saturday I think but Sunday night is crammed with finals.

Some great stories today. Maybe inspiring others.

Oldest ever medal winner and ex serviceman who credits Birmingham hospital with saving his life. 

Malinga the Swinga

Regarding the diving. The female pundit is not too bad and knows her technical stuff. The male commentator is embarrassingly bad and is no more than a cheerleader.

Jambo-Jimbo

I could see the Olympics, Worlds etc looking to see if it's feasible to also have the para-althletes compete at the same meeting as they are doing at the Commonwealths. 

I don't really see an issue tbh.

Malinga the Swinga
31 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I could see the Olympics, Worlds etc looking to see if it's feasible to also have the para-althletes compete at the same meeting as they are doing at the Commonwealths. 

Problem would be the number of events. What we have in Commonwealth games is cut down version of Paralympics.

If you had full all inclusive Olympics, it would last about 5-6 weeks, number of competitors would run into thousands and village would be enormous.

14 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Regarding the diving. The female pundit is not too bad and knows her technical stuff. The male commentator is embarrassingly bad and is no more than a cheerleader.

That'll be Olympic, World Championship and Commonwealth Games medal winner Leon Taylor.

Jambo-Jimbo
31 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Problem would be the number of events. What we have in Commonwealth games is cut down version of Paralympics.

If you had full all inclusive Olympics, it would last about 5-6 weeks, number of competitors would run into thousands and village would be enormous.

Yes of course it's going to be much bigger, more competitors etc etc, however I still think a lot of places will look at the Commonwealths and see if it's feasible for them to do similar.

manaliveits105
1 hour ago, neilnunb said:

Great game in the women's pairs between England and Australia in the bowls.

Very enjoyable and great ending 

3 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

It works really well. 

Seeing disabled people as normal and not a problem to solve is what is needed. 

Malinga the Swinga
4 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

That'll be Olympic, World Championship and Commonwealth Games medal winner Leon Taylor.

And he acts like a cheerleader for English divers. Cram and other commentators on other sports have managed to remain even and provide a balanced view.

Diving and hockey, when England are playing, have been the exception.

manaliveits105
3 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

And he acts like a cheerleader for English divers. Cram and other commentators on other sports have managed to remain even and provide a balanced view.

Diving and hockey, when England are playing, have been the exception.

The English 1 2 3 there was excruciating from him and his co commentator 

every English dive was perfect or a good excuse if judges disagreed - every Scottish and others dives had faults 

Muir gets bronze with a lunge for the line.

Hodgkinson pushed into silver.

Moraa is fun to watch, just goes on the attack, drops off, then a sprint down the last. Going to be a big danger to Hodgkinson and Athing Mu at next year's Olympics 

Edited by neilnunb

Malinga the Swinga

Oh dear, the English darling of track only got silver. Muir can't believe she got a bronze there. 

I laughed when Cram said Laura Muir was doing 800m for fun. It's a hell of a lot of hard work to call fun.

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, neilnunb said:

Muir gets bronze with a lunge for the line.

Hodgkinson pushed into silver.

Moraa is fun to watch, just goes on the attack, drops off, then a sprint down the last. Going to be a big danger to Hodgkinson and Athing Mu at next year's Olympics 

Good as Hodgkinson has had it relatively easy in last couple of years as she has taken advantage of hormone ban on certain female athletes whereas Muir had to race them all when they were in their prime.