Commonwealth Games

Malinga the Swinga

Jambo-Jimbo

Sir Chris Hoy says whilst this type of accident is rare it does happen but is easily preventable, as all you need is a perspex screen around the top of the track, there is one around the athletes in the centre of the track, easy enough to install one around the top as well.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Malinga the Swinga

• neilnunb

• whodanny

• Victorian

Malinga the Swinga
3 hours ago, PortyJambo said:

They should have won it without going to extra time though, just needed to stay calm and pass the ball against 5 men instead of going for glory by trying to beat all the defenders by themselves. I'm sure the coach would have been pointing that out to them for extra time.

They wouldn't have won it at all if ref had given yellow for no arms tackle in last minute of normal time. He decided to just ignore it, even though it happened about 2 yards in front of him. Linesman also decided to ignore.

Commentator mentioned it briefly before going back to kissing backsides of Fiji, who it appears, are allowed to commit as many offences as they like.

Malinga the Swinga

Good second place in points race for Evans. Considering she was riding with no team backing, she did as good a job as possible. Think that's her second medal so far.

5 hours ago, That thing you do said:

Ocean colour scene. 

Not really new though, theyve been around 25/30 years.

3 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Not a great fan of Amazing Grace or Danny Boy but when the NYPD pipe band do them they are moving and not cringe making.

I'm sure you're right, but it made me cringe because of my name.

Francis Albert
45 minutes ago, whodanny said:

I'm sure you're right, but it made me cringe because of my name.

Fair enough. Hadn't made that link.

1 hour ago, neilnunb said:

Adam Peaty beaten 😁

After the BBC had been showing countless videos for days bigging him up as well. Shame that.

Malinga the Swinga

Watching Wales v Ghana in women's hockey. Welsh forward slips, kicks ball onto teammate who then creates goal. 

Video ref reviews it and decides that it didn't hit foot! I mean you see it clearly on TV that she kicks it, it isn't even a dodgy call, it was right there on TV.

The misuse of video review system is getting worse as officials are now disregarding what everyone can see and allowing what they want.

Malinga the Swinga

Congratulations to Scottish women's for big victory today at hockey. Need a result against Australia to progress.

In the other hand, the coaching staff of men's team have got to go. After throwing away 5-1 lead against NZ, they got thumped by Australia and then manage to throw away a lead against South Africa losing 2 goals in closing minutes.

Every goal conceded as a result of losing ball about 30 yards from goal because of shocking passes. Coaches persist on picking same defenders every game who make same mistakes every game.

Add in dismal performance in under 21's last week, it's clear that the whole men's set up is rotten.

At least the women are competitive and look like they have a plan.

Malinga the Swinga
27 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Duncan Scott smashes it to win relay bronze. 

Didn't look likely when he dived in but the man's a machine. Pretty much does two events a day and smiles his way through all of them.

Seems to have genuine friendly relationship with all of the swimmers, especially Dean, which is good to see.

No wonder GB are Olympic champions at 200m relay when you see team we have.

132goals1958

He is a great ambassador for the sport. Maybe it’s his relaxed and downbeat persona but I don’t think he gets the credit he deserves. Only my opinion but I think he is right at the forefront of the best Scottish sportsmen in history 

Malinga the Swinga

Chance of medal in the 4 x 100 mixed medley tonight. Quite like the different tactics every team uses as leads appear then vanish after swaps.

Presume Scotland will make 4 changes to their team, as will England and Australia. At least if you swim in semi final and your team medals, you get medal even if not swimming in final. 

Good way of doing it.

15 hours ago, 132goals1958 said:

He is a great ambassador for the sport. Maybe it’s his relaxed and downbeat persona but I don’t think he gets the credit he deserves. Only my opinion but I think he is right at the forefront of the best Scottish sportsmen in history 

Duncan Scott and Katie Archibald are the top Scottish sports people. 

Not in headline grabbing soorts though. 

And notably while definitely Scottish both are part of very good British teams. British facilities, British infrastructure. 

Edited by Mikey1874

1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

What would that do?

Supposedly a boost of adrenaline if I recall correctly.

I'm not well versed on it...I'd struggle to take the plates of the bars 😂😂

Just now, Taffin said:

Supposedly a boost of adrenaline if I recall correctly.

I'm not well versed on it...I'd struggle to take the plates of the bars 😂😂

🤣

My turn for questions now.

What is the eligibility criteria for the home nations? If we're all technically British then can you just choose a home nation to represent?

Malinga the Swinga

Good swim by Murdoch while Peaty takes hold. Safe to say it mattered to him given reaction.

Credit to bowlers who won gold in pairs this afternoon. 

Jambo-Jimbo
14 hours ago, Taffin said:

My turn for questions now.

What is the eligibility criteria for the home nations? If we're all technically British then can you just choose a home nation to represent?

Birth place or through parents' birth place, I believe.

Olivia Breen the Welsh lassie was born in England but has a Welsh mother and chose to run for Wales rather than England. 

Nicole Yeargin, Scottish runner was born in the USA but her mother is from Dunfermline and she chose to run for Scotland/UK rather than the USA.

That's the way it looks, probably more complex though.

2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Birth place or through parents' birth place, I believe.

Olivia Breen the Welsh lassie was born in England but has a Welsh mother and chose to run for Wales rather than England. 

Nicole Yeargin, Scottish runner was born in the USA but her mother is from Dunfermline and she chose to run for Scotland/UK rather than the USA.

That's the way it looks, probably more complex though.

Interesting, cheers 👍

Couple of gold medals added to the tally for Scotland in quick succession, Duncan Scott again in the pool, then Sarah Adlington adding a judo gold.

With a gold earlier in para bowls, and McColgan racing later, it could easily be best day so far for Scotland.

Edited by PortyJambo

That 50m freestyle is unreal.  If my arithmetic is right,  they go about 8.5kph average speed.  About a quarter of the speed of the best 100m runners.

Edited by Victorian

John Findlay

The combined age of the Paralympian ladies that one Gold in the bowls pairs is 130. Aged 72 and 58 respectively.

Bloody well done ladies and good for you.

Malinga the Swinga

Men's relay in pool will be interesting with Scott on fly. 

Australia and England will be gold & silver but 3rd is possible.

Eilish McColgan now looks double of Liz and she has chance, but always concerned when Africa well represented 

5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

****ers have stuck the 10k on the iplayer to show highlights from earlier.  Ffs.

Yeah and the iplayer is about 1min behind

Malinga the Swinga

Great result for McColgan. Must be our best day on Commonwealth games for years, if not ever.

She's persevered for years and deserves every minute of success.

At last.  A massively deserved first top medal to reward her determination.  Highlight of the games by a mile.  ****ing delighted.

Toxteth O'Grady
Just now, manaliveits105 said:

Brilliant Eilish 

Gold and new games record. Her Mum will be so proud. We know Eilish and after a brilliant start this season she has had covid and then another virus and also a hamstring niggle so she will be delighted with this performance.

The White Cockade

Brilliant run by her

Wasn’t too confident with 200 to go but great finish to the race

Unbelievable that race was only on red button 

No way it wasn’t on the main channel if she was English