Commonwealth Games

Malinga the Swinga

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Yeh, not suggesting it's awful. It's just dated and out of touch after spending 120 mins demonstrating how modern and in touch the games are trying to be...then out come a bunch of old white men famous the best part of half a century ago 🤣 a lot of those countries weren't even in the Commonwealth back then!

😄Very good point, it was a wee bit contradictory. I guess I just enjoyed the perfomance on it's own terms, and I'm not a Duran fan. But you're right.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Malinga the Swinga

• neilnunb

• whodanny

• Victorian

Geoff Kilpatrick

Northern Ireland always seems to win at least 1 gold in the Comm Games. It is always emotional when Danny Boy is rolled out. :sob:

Edited by Geoff Kilpatrick

Just now, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Northern Ireland always seems to win at least 1 gold in this event. It is always emotional when Danny Boy is rolled out. :sob:

That's one song that makes me cringe. All my old aunties used to sing it to me when I was wee.

6 minutes ago, whodanny said:

😄Very good point, it was a wee bit contradictory. I guess I just enjoyed the perfomance on it's own terms, and I'm not a Duran fan. But you're right.

Sometimes that's the best way. Miserable gits like me should do more of it! 

Geoff Kilpatrick
4 minutes ago, whodanny said:

That's one song that makes me cringe. All my old aunties used to sing it to me when I was wee.

My brother-in-law's father recently passed away but when he sung it it was spine tingling. Even better than Barry McGuigan's old man at the boxing.

15 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

My brother-in-law's father recently passed away but when he sung it it was spine tingling. Even better than Barry McGuigan's old man at the boxing.

My Aunties were better than McGuigans old man. 😄

17 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Sometimes that's the best way. Miserable gits like me should do more of it! 

Nah,you had a good point Taff.

manaliveits105
2 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Good to see the countries we stripped bare coming back to the motherland to bend the knee. 

You must be a hoot on a night oot 

Malinga the Swinga

Cracking result for Scotland at women's hockey. 4-2 win sees us off to a great start.

Malinga the Swinga

We might nab silver tonight in 200 breathstroke if Murdoch can piece a swim together.

Young Aussie guy nailed on for gold but silver/bronze is possible.

2 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Goodness...quite like the England outfit.

Screenshot_20220729-205322_Samsung Internet.jpg

Is that a sweat mark?!

7 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Is that a sweat mark?!

Think so... 😃

Wonder if the other kits were as 'revealing'... 😁

18 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Goodness...quite like the England outfit.

Screenshot_20220729-205322_Samsung Internet.jpg

Laura Kenny has had a kid which is why hers is bigger. 

Malinga the Swinga

Decent bronzes for Ross Murdoch and Shanahan in pool.

Watching Scotland men playing New Zealand and unbelievably they're 5-1 up at half time. Would be a superb result if they keep it going.

Malinga the Swinga

Shocking decision by umpire allows NZ to pull goal back from penalty corner. No danger it was a foul never mind penalty corner and review system backs up umpire as it usually does.

The same umpire allows NZ forward to swing stick into Scottish keeper causing him to be subbed when he could easily have avoided incident.

Clear yellow card but nothing given. Standard of umpiring is embarrassingly bad.

Can we also get rid of summariser, think he is ex England keeper, as he is another clueless . His comments on open play reflect his lack of time spent playing outfield.

Malinga the Swinga

Well, another day looms. Scotland men drew 5-5 with New Zealand at hockey. Normally that would be a good result but they were 5-1 up and, even accounting for shit umpiring, Scotland only have themselves to blame. 

Roxy Hearts
3 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Well, another day looms. Scotland men drew 5-5 with New Zealand at hockey. Normally that would be a good result but they were 5-1 up and, even accounting for shit umpiring, Scotland only have themselves to blame. 

There's definitely something in the Scottish psyche. We're not good at winning at times! Too nice! 

Malinga the Swinga
5 hours ago, John Findlay said:

I'm beginning to wonder if Glashow 2014 happened.

Why? 

John Findlay
Just now, Malinga the Swinga said:

Why? 

Because you would think the last major games held in the UK were London2012, the way certain BBC commentators and pundits go on.

Malinga the Swinga
4 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Because you would think the last major games held in the UK were London2012, the way certain BBC commentators and pundits go on.

Presumably because the Olympics in 2012 were a Hundred times bigger and better than the commonwealth games in Glasgow.

In a couple of years, Birmingham commonwealth games will also be forgotten whereas Olympics remain in memory.

John Findlay
20 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Presumably because the Olympics in 2012 were a Hundred times bigger and better than the commonwealth games in Glasgow.

In a couple of years, Birmingham commonwealth games will also be forgotten whereas Olympics remain in memory.

Sorry but I don't buy that.

Malinga the Swinga
37 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Sorry but I don't buy that.

I don't see it as an issue. Personally, I couldn't recall many events from Glasgow commie games but I can recall loads of 2012 Olympics.

9 hours ago, Roxy Hearts said:

There's definitely something in the Scottish psyche. We're not good at winning at times! Too nice! 

Quite of lot of winners in the Scottish Commonwealth games team. 

(typed a couple of minutes before Duncan Scott Gold beating his English mate) 

Edited by Mikey1874

Malinga the Swinga

In the meantime, dominant display from Duncan Scott in pool with gold for 200m freestyle.

Malinga the Swinga
5 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Quite of lot of winners in the Scottish Commonwealth games team. 

Duncan Scott certainly has right mentality. Hopefully he can win another gold in just about an hour's time.

These swimmers are fit guys. 

I watched the women's wheelchair marathon this morning. 4 entrants. The worst thing is, they only give out 2 medals. 🤣

John Findlay
5 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

I watched the women's wheelchair marathon this morning. 4 entrants. The worst thing is, they only give out 2 medals. 🤣

Australian won, English lassie got the silver.

English boy won the men's and the Scottish laddie Frame got the silver.

Scottish laddie barely got a mention.

Got more news about David Weir who unfortunately got a puncture whilst well in the lead. He got more coverage than even the English boy that won, which I personally found irritating.

Edited by John Findlay

10 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Goodness me, a few strangled cats singing Flower of Scotland for Scott's medal presentation there 🤣

Unlike the English anthem when Ben Proud won gold where absolutely nobody sung as no bugger knows the words.

1 minute ago, graygo said:

Unlike the English anthem when Ben Proud won gold where absolutely nobody sung as no bugger knows the words.

Didn't see that so can't comment but the singing for FoS was so bad you even saw Scott having a giggle. 😉

Malinga the Swinga

I appreciate Fiji are entertaining at 7's, but by God, referee is giving them everything. They can do forward passes, hang on on tackle and nothing given. Scotland made one break and ref spotted a squint throw in from line out. 

I've watched loads of 7's and no line out penalised, regardless off how squint throw ins are.

Just treat both sides the same.

Malinga the Swinga

Unbelievable cheating at Scotland v New Zealand at women's hockey. Score s perfectly good equalising goal rom penalty corner and video ref says ball not our of circle, even though in TV you can see it is.

The desperation to support the 'big teams' is so ****ing obvious, it's pathetic.

Malinga the Swinga

A one nil loss to New Zealand it was. Best Scottish performance for a long time sees a defeat due to one of worst displays of infield umpiring/video umpiring I've seen in 45 years of playing and coaching hockey. 

Result was pre-determined before game started.

That thing you do
On 28/07/2022 at 16:30, whodanny said:

Black Sabbath, ELO, Slade, The Move. All gtreat bands from days gone by, but I don't really know who the current Brum artists are. 

Ocean colour scene. 

not seen it but it seems there has been a horrific crash in the velodrome, rest of session cancelled, screens up 

1 minute ago, milky_26 said:

not seen it but it seems there has been a horrific crash in the velodrome, rest of session cancelled, screens up 

As it happens the camera missed it live. Cyclist into crowd and several stretchers out. 

11 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Brilliant Fiji

They should have won it without going to extra time though, just needed to stay calm and pass the ball against 5 men instead of going for glory by trying to beat all the defenders by themselves. I'm sure the coach would have been pointing that out to them for extra time.

12 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

They didn't show any replays so it must have been pretty bad.

Francis Albert
On 28/07/2022 at 23:49, whodanny said:

Not a great fan of Amazing Grace or Danny Boy but when the NYPD pipe band do them they are moving and not cringe making.