Commonwealth Games

Malinga the Swinga

Malinga the Swinga

Looking forward to some decent competition over next week and a half.

Highlights for me are swimming, athletics and hockey.

Hopefully Scotland can get some medals although they will be hard to get.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Malinga the Swinga

• neilnunb

• whodanny

• Victorian

Jambo-Jimbo

Yeh, bumper summer of athletics, World Championships, Commonwealth Games & then the European Championships next month, super duper.

The highlight for me is Tony Iommi playing guitar. Would love to see Sabbath do a song, but feckin Sharon Osbourne would want too much dosh for Ozzy to appear.

1 minute ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Is this opening ceremony a poor man's London 2012?

Who can forget the Tunnocks Tea cakes and Irn Bru at Glesga 2014.

Geoff Kilpatrick
Just now, whodanny said:

I had until you just mentioned it! :laugh:

Geoff Kilpatrick

I know it was down the road in Coventry but let's have The Specials doing Ghost Town!

Just now, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I had until you just mentioned it! :laugh:

:laugh2: Sorry Geoff, didn't mean to bring that image back to you.

That stadium has a smaller capacity than Tynecastle, 18000. But it looks huge on TV. I realise that the "playing" area is bigger, but somehow the stands look pretty massive too.

Edit: I've just read that they have temporary stands to increase the capacity to 30000.

Edited by whodanny

JudyJudyJudy
30 minutes ago, whodanny said:

I have tried to

Just now, JudyJudyJudy said:

I have tried to

Not an iconic moment for you then James ? 😉

The Real Maroonblood
18 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Good to see the countries we stripped bare coming back to the motherland to bend the knee. 

:lol:

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, whodanny said:

Not an iconic moment for you then James ? 😉

It was John “ touchy feel me “ barrow man and his virtue signalling kissing another guy I have also tried to erase from my memory 😂

JudyJudyJudy

Incredible spectacle . It’s like watching victims of domestic abuse bowing to their abusers . Bizarre 

1 minute ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

It was John “ touchy feel me “ barrow man and his virtue signalling kissing another guy I have also tried to erase from my memory 😂

I had tried to forget that ! 😄

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, whodanny said:

Just now, whodanny said:

619118CC-BA39-4D34-9270-A337A4BAF95D.gif

4 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Oh dear Joe Lycet ! Virtue signalling 

“ joke “ ! Dearie me ! 

I'm not sure it was a joke. Good on him I reckon saying it live on the BBC on something being watched worldwide. It doesn't ring as hypocritical either being said somewhere as diverse as Birmingham.

Edited by Taffin

2 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Oh dear Joe Lycet ! Virtue signalling 

“ joke “ ! Dearie me ! 

My daughter is a big fan of Joe, she's disappointed she missed his "interesting" outfit. (She's in the middle of an essay for her Uni course at the moment)

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, Taffin said:

I'm not sure it was a joke. Good on him I reckon saying it live on the BBC on something being watched worldwide. It doesn't ring as hollow either being said somewhere as diverse as Birmingham.

No it wasn’t a joke , it wasn’t funny . 

Just now, JudyJudyJudy said:

Why are they wearing masks ? 

Would you want to be spotted in Birmingham  ??

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, whodanny said:

My daughter is a big fan of Joe, she's disappointed she missed his "interesting" outfit. (She's in the middle of an essay for her Uni course at the moment)

Never really heard of him . Unsure what he had on . 

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, whodanny said:

Would you want to be spotted in Birmingham  ??

😂😂😂😎😎

6 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Never really heard of him . Unsure what he had on . 

I'm not the guy to describe these things, but it was a kind of pink and white fluffy, maybe jumpsuit kinda thing. I dunno, something like that.

My daughter assures me his live act is very funny.

Edited by whodanny

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, whodanny said:

I'm not the guy to describe these things, but it was a kind of pink and white fluffy, maybe jumpsuit kinda thing. I dunno, something like that.

My daughter assures me his live act is very funny.

8DA35058-FB85-46E1-BB3E-344B4CF59A2C.gif

Malinga the Swinga

Scotland outfits horrific but then again, Wales look like they're representing a giant Brass Band.

Just wait tracksuits, or t-shirts and shorts.

1 minute ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Scotland outfits horrific but then again, Wales look like they're representing a giant Brass Band.

Quite liked the Scotland female outfits, the waistcoat was too much imo, I've never been a fan of a matching kilt and waistcoat.

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

The cut of the kilts were absolutely awful . 

3 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Looking forward to some decent competition over next week and a half.

Highlights for me are swimming, athletics and hockey.

Hopefully Scotland can get some medals although they will be hard to get.

Watched The Nine last night and the presenter practically called our Gold Coast medal haul as disappointing for going from 53 in Glasgow to 44.

Christ, one of our marathon runners was on the way to killing himself in the heat.

Malinga the Swinga
4 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Watched The Nine last night and the presenter practically called our Gold Coast medal haul as disappointing for going from 53 in Glasgow to 44.

Christ, one of our marathon runners was on the way to killing himself in the heat.

If we get 44 this time, I'll be pleasantly surprised. Ridiculous to contemplate that we'd get same count as a home games.

Really enjoyed that; but Duran Duran, c'mon, in a city with an average population age of 25 they're not exactly relevant.

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, Taffin said:

Really enjoyed that; but Duran Duran, c'mon, in a city with an average population age of 25 they're not exactly relevant.

Can't beat a bit of Duran Duran to get a party started. Not sure who the most relevant music stars from Birmingham actually are?

2 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Can't beat a bit of Duran Duran to get a party started. Not sure who the most relevant music stars from Birmingham actually are?

Black Sabbath, ELO, Slade, The Move. All gtreat bands from days gone by, but I don't really know who the current Brum artists are. 

3 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Hmmm...

It's a good question though, I've no idea. Duran Duran though I feel are quintessentially dated as they're so tied to a specific era. 

Just now, Taffin said:

Hmmm...

It's a good question though, I've no idea. Duran Duran though I feel are quintessentially dated as they're so tied to a specific era. 

Yeah pretty much, but that wasn't too awful. Most of the music was a pre-recorded backing track, but Le Bon's vocals were certainly live and I think he pulled it off pretty well. Not bad.

7 minutes ago, whodanny said:

Yeah pretty much, but that wasn't too awful. Most of the music was a pre-recorded backing track, but Le Bon's vocals were certainly live and I think he pulled it off pretty well. Not bad.

Yeh, not suggesting it's awful. It's just dated and out of touch after spending 120 mins demonstrating how modern and in touch the games are trying to be...then out come a bunch of old white men famous the best part of half a century ago 🤣 a lot of those countries weren't even in the Commonwealth back then!

Edited by Taffin
A lot is hyperbole.

JudyJudyJudy
8 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Hmmm...

I went to see Hazel  O’Connor in concert in 19** and they were her support Act . I remember them quite vividly . A  year or so later they became bigger than her . 

Anyway...moaning aside despite not being able to name anything more contemporary myself...I'm looking forward to the games now. Got a few tickets so should be good fun and I hope Scotland does us proud!