Edinburgh Festival 22

Lord BJ

Lord BJ

I haven’t booked anything up yet or even looked at the programme. 

So what’s everyone going to see? 

Any recommendations………..folks

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Shanks said no

• Jambo 4 Ever

• JudyJudyJudy

Ian McKellan’s Hamlet down Stockbridge.  It’s a ‘whole new performance concept’ apparently - so interesting….

hughesie27

Going to Forth on the Fringe next Friday. Usually a good night.

Only got Jason Byrne booked so far as we go to see him every year. Got a lot on this august so won’t get to see as much as I’d like. 🙄

jambo89

Thinking about taking the wee man to a few shows. Not sure what's best suited to a 3 and a 1/2 year old though.

Mikey1874

It's a decent programme for Fringe and Festival.

Always say the Fringe is too big but worth a look through the programme. 

Fxxx the SPFL

Choir of Man assembly on the mound get in the front rows and free pints before show. really entertaining set in a bar.

for comedy Scottish Falsetto Sock Company underbelly Teviot brilliant saw this guy about eight times now. Show this time is called Eurovision Sock contest.

Nina Conti at the pleaseance

Shanks said no

Really need to get booking.

Scored quite a few free BBC shows including Off the Ball

Have booked

- Jon Culshaw/Les Dawson on Thursday

- Basil Brush Uncut & Boris at 5 on Friday

- Christine Bovill on 27th

Have load of vouchers the kids have given me, so will have to get them spent

Disser Pointon
On 28/07/2022 at 10:18, Dazo said:

Only got Jason Byrne booked so far as we go to see him every year. Got a lot on this august so won’t get to see as much as I’d like. 🙄

Going on Saturday, we never miss him.

Jambo 4 Ever
3 hours ago, Shanks said no said:

Really need to get booking.

Scored quite a few free BBC shows including Off the Ball

Have booked

- Jon Culshaw/Les Dawson on Thursday

- Basil Brush Uncut & Boris at 5 on Friday

- Christine Bovill on 27th

Have load of vouchers the kids have given me, so will have to get them spent

Where do you get tickets for off the ball?

Shanks said no
2 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Where do you get tickets for off the ball?

I'll be nice for once

You are best to subscribe to the email updates on BBC shows, then when they email you its normally a random draw. There is a special category each year for the Festival. Good way to catch some famous acts FOC. Seen some pretty good stuff over the years. This year quite a few shows have been first come first served, OTB was one of them and I was quick.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/shows

2 hours ago, frankblack said:

giphy.gif

Pixies

Every year there is on gig I can't make that has me raging. This year it's Pixies.

Shanks said no
12 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

I applied for this a few weeks back but haven't heard anything yet. Have you got tickets?

I didn't receive tickets the first time so have applied again

Taking Zico Jnr to 360 Allstars, going to see old reliables Rich Hall and Jerry Sadowitz, and going with the missus to see Troy Hawke. For music, also going to see Jeff Mills. Will prob catch a few other shows too. 

For those not aware, there are residents tickets for a fiver available for some shows in the first few days. 

Shanks said no

Babysitting our almost 2 year old grand daughter on Saturday, so booked to take her to her first Fringe show

Leonardo! a wonderful show about a terrible monster

Will be an interesting experience........

Mikey1874

This was in a theatre show which definitely wasn't comedy so not sure if it can enter best joke competition. 

James Bond walks into a bar. He's feeling good about himself. Sits down at the bar and orders a drink. 

Glamorous woman sits down and speaks to him. Asks him about his very smart expensive watch. 

James Bond says "this is, a special watch. It can do special things" 

"What can it do?" the woman asks. 

"Well one thing it can do is it can tell me things about you" 

"What does it say about me" she asks

"Well it's telling me you aren't wearing any pants" 

"I am wearing pants" she says

"Yes you are. The watch is an hour fast" 

Shanks said no

First 3 shows attended

Les Dawson / Jon Culshaw

6/10

it was the first preview show so maybe being unkind, he does a really good impression of him but there were technical issues which threw him and felt he needed to slow down to begin with. first night nerves?

Boris live at 5

8/10

A great piss take of Boris with audience participation and heckling encouraged. Not one for the easily offended, well before the watershed. Recommended.

Basil Brush uncut and unleashed

7/10

Nostalgic rather in your face outrageous. For example they did a QA and a girl wanted her chest signed by him and he bottled it.

JudyJudyJudy

Me and my gal pal are going to see this . Looks bizarre but fun. A spoof with a splattering of Norse hunks ripping the piss out of those ultra testosterone  fuelled Viking dramas 😂😂

Just remember when you are going to your festival shows there are people like me who are doing ridiculous hours making them happen. I’ve been on 12 hours days for the last two weeks and just in a taxi going home now after starting at 9.30 this morning. And I’m in at 9am tomorrow. 

windsor1874
52 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Just remember when you are going to your festival shows there are people like me who are doing ridiculous hours making them happen. I’ve been on 12 hours days for the last two weeks and just in a taxi going home now after starting at 9.30 this morning. And I’m in at 9am tomorrow. 

What's that got to do with anything?

Are you getting paid for the 12 hours?

Not sure what your point is. 

tokyowalnut

Good day yesterday!

Circus Beserk at the EICC was fantastic!

Aboriginal Allstar Comedy show at Assembly George Sq. Great compère and 2 out of the 3 comedians I’d pay to watch on their own! 

Jenny Bede at Underbelly! Tiny room, made for a good atmosphere, I thought she was very funny, clever act! 

Going to see the Black Blues Brothers this evening, cannot wait. Hoping I’m not too inebriated after the derby otherwise I’ll be up singing!! 

DETTY29

Frankie Boyle and Michael Spicer only 2 booked.

As a PS, what are the rip off prices for a pint in and around the venues this year?

Edited by DETTY29

jambo89
On 03/08/2022 at 21:20, CostaJambo said:

If he is not shy he might like this, ours used to love the interactive shows when they were wee.....

Moon Dragon for 5 and Under | Children's Shows | Edinburgh Festival Fringe (edfringe.com)

Thanks for the advice. I ended up taking him to this:

https://tickets.edfringe.com/whats-on/yellow-bird-chase

He really liked it, so took him to another show called “the greatest magic show” in the afternoon which he wasn’t that in to. I haven’t been to the festival in years and it really was reminder of how amazing the city is during that period. I think I enjoyed myself more than he did!!

Seymour M Hersh

I rather enjoyed the last two years that were festival free tbh. 

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

Shanks said no
On 07/08/2022 at 09:46, DETTY29 said:

Frankie Boyle and Michael Spicer only 2 booked.

As a PS, what are the rip off prices for a pint in and around the venues this year?

Our normal round is a pint of lager and and vodka coke, so far has ranged from £10 plus down to £6.75 in Bar Salsa, Grassmarket. 

So it’s started properly now. Woke up to a message from a friend asking if I’d been out with her fiancé last night as he got home at 5am, couldn’t work his key to get in the door, and had to be helped into bed as he couldn’t manage on his own. Sadly I wasn’t as it sounds like a good night. 

inspector

Struggling to find a reasonable comedy act/thingy for tomorrow between 7-8. Any ideas?

Day off from working in a theatre and for some stupid reason I went to one tonight to watch a show. 
Bloody glad I did. Went to see The Pulse at The Playhouse which is part of the international festival. Australian show hat features a live choir and dancer/acrobats. Feck me it was astonishing. Absolutely stunning spectacle with a cast of unbelievably talented people. “Only” £25 which is a bargain for something like that on the EIF. 3000 people gasping in amazement at the stuff happening onstage. 

Edited by Tazio

Sex Panther
9 hours ago, windsor1874 said:

Foil arms n hog- very very average. 

Yeah, totally agree. Started pretty funny but couldn't carry it through the show. Seem to have a cult Irish following that will continue to fill the seats. Others so far for me:

Troy Hawke 7/10

Mark Watson 8/10

Jason Byrne 9/10

David O'Doherty 8/10

Paul Foot 8/10

Abandoman 7/10

Josh Pugh 7/10

Clive Anderson (podcast show interviewing Jimeoin) - 8/10

the general

I see it's the usual nonsense for the Summer Sessions 

Gardens closed to the public from 4pm and big black screens to stop anyone watching from the street

JudyJudyJudy

Just bought tickets to go and see "Les Dawson flying high" so looking forward to seeing that on Monday 

Shanks said no

Warning for anyone with free bbc tickets, arrive early. Validation was due to open at 615 tonight, we joined queue at 605, didn’t get in.

So it’s pub instead 

for @DETTY29 £9.45 Mather’s east end and £8.20 Scott’s rose st

DETTY29
5 minutes ago, Shanks said no said:

Warning for anyone with free bbc tickets, arrive early. Validation was due to open at 615 tonight, we joined queue at 605, didn’t get in.

So it’s pub instead 

for @DETTY29 £9.45 Mather’s east end and £8.20 Scott’s rose st

That will be 2 pints then.

I know Scotts is 4.10 a Tennents.

I'm in there often enough.  😀

Shanks said no
5 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

That will be 2 pints then.

I know Scotts is 4.10 a Tennents.

I'm in there often enough.  😀

Nope tennants and vodka coke, I might look like a tourist. 

Has anyone been down the the stuff at north Berwick? 

Not wanting to see anything as such, was more just wanting to have a walk around the place and have a few pints since weather is nice 

Can you get a bite to eat and drink without going to see any shows? 

Don’t mean the pubs that are down there and more the tents they have up for festival 

luckyBatistuta
On 28/07/2022 at 10:32, jambo89 said:

Thinking about taking the wee man to a few shows. Not sure what's best suited to a 3 and a 1/2 year old though.

On 03/08/2022 at 21:54, Zico said:

Taking Zico Jnr to 360 Allstars, going to see old reliables Rich Hall and Jerry Sadowitz, and going with the missus to see Troy Hawke. For music, also going to see Jeff Mills. Will prob catch a few other shows too. 

For those not aware, there are residents tickets for a fiver available for some shows in the first few days. 

On 04/08/2022 at 11:35, Shanks said no said:

Babysitting our almost 2 year old grand daughter on Saturday, so booked to take her to her first Fringe show

Leonardo! a wonderful show about a terrible monster

Will be an interesting experience........

Get them to this, gonna be a cracking show and luckyB Jr is in it.

80B4FF3D-D640-464E-ADF2-0FF2E5B4F1F9.jpeg