• Naisys Tackle

• RustyRightPeg

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

Ricardo Quaresma
2 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

He's a DM, not a defender. 

That’s what I always thought

Other than a couple of games for us  I think he has mainly played in defense. I could be wrong though.

Never looks comfortable in central defence. Always looks like he's going to give a goal away by doing something crazy.

1 minute ago, Barack said:

Get him sold to Millwall or something.

Like him. But he's behind the curve already, and I don't think some in our support will give him leeway.

See Sean Clare. 

Can't honestly see who he displaces to gain regular minutes. 

Yeah bring back Aaron Hughes or Christophe Berra. He is probably our 2nd in line stand in centre back. I think he's capable of standing in if needed and also versatile to move into midfield if necessary.  I don't think he's amazing but a massive improvement on our stand in centre backs over the last ten years. 

I agree with the op.

I said on another thread that Sibbick will benefit from the necessary rotation this season. He'll, hopefully, start games in his best/favoured position and will be a huge asset for us if/when he does.

Edited by martoon

Just now, Barack said:

As I've said. I like him.

We're looking for another CB. He isn't better than Pete, Beni or Cammy in the DM role too.

He is a decent signing. But it looks like a season too late, IMHO.

Fair point but I think he is capable. I also think there is other areas requiring strengthening before this.

Stendelnator
9 minutes ago, Barack said:

Get him sold to Millwall or something.

Like him. But he's behind the curve already, and I don't think some in our support will give him leeway.

See Sean Clare. 

Can't honestly see who he displaces to gain regular minutes. 

If we sell him we have to buy two players. He won’t be first choice. We need a squad. 

Just now, Stendelnator said:

If we sell him we have to buy two players. He won’t be first choice. We need a squad. 

Correct.

He's only just turned 23, I think people forget how young that is for a CH. Halkett was poor first season but now at 27 he's improved so much he's probably our most important out and out defender.

Sibbick is a good squad player with the potential to be very good. He's quick, he's strong and he has a good brain. He has things to improve on but I'd absolutely not be even contemplating getting rid.

2 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

He's only just turned 23, I think people forget how young that is for a CH. Halkett was poor first season but now at 27 he's improved so much he's probably our most important out and out defender.

Sibbick is a good squad player with the potential to be very good. He's quick, he's strong and he has a good brain. He has things to improve on but I'd absolutely not be even contemplating getting rid.

Bang on.

Hungry hippo

His only errors have been in an attempt to overplay out of the back and he can easily be coached to punt it into Row Z more often. Far harder to learn for players the other way round.

A player with a lot of potential and although he wouldn't be first choice at the moment he would be miles down the list of players I'd chase away from the club.

Bunny Munro

From our current defenders I'd have him starting. Halkett isn't a RCB and Kingsley isnnt a CCB. I'd bring Sibbick in a drop Rowles..

Honking of shite, wants too long on the ball. Was the same last season and hasn’t learnt anything. Should move him on sooner rather than later. 

davemclaren
1 hour ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Looked great in central midfield the 1.5 games he played under Stendel. He does seem to make at least one mistake a game as a central defender but he’s still relatively young and can develop.

Watt-Zeefuik
49 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Indeed. The problem today was that he stepped forward, which he's supposed to do, and no one rotated in behind him. It's something Haring is unfortunately uniquely bad at, it seems.

He's a centre half, always has been and always will be.

I thought Toby looked like quite a big lad when he came on, I certainly wasn't saying that last season.

Give him time and he'll be fine, we've got the next 3 years to get behind him so why not start now?

Edited by BigAlim

No Idle Talk
2 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I agree. 

If he is going to have a career at centre back he is going to have to get a bit more aggressive. 

Sub4TiddlerMurray
1 hour ago, oritem8 said:

Honking of shite, wants too long on the ball. Was the same last season and hasn’t learnt anything. Should move him on sooner rather than later. 

Best way to describe your post.

This thread is one of those cheap JKB pile-ons that suck the air out of life. 

Sibbick is a terrific player and he’s had a very good pre-season. Absolutely unwarranted, but predictable JKB “let’s have a go at a player who isn’t yet a first name on the team sheet” nonsense. 

5 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Indeed. The problem today was that he stepped forward, which he's supposed to do, and no one rotated in behind him. It's something Haring is unfortunately uniquely bad at, it seems.

Feels a little harsh on Haring given he left the field for Grant half an hour before the goal was conceded.

gorgieheart
4 hours ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Best way to describe your post.

This thread is one of those cheap JKB pile-ons that suck the air out of life. 

Sibbick is a terrific player and he’s had a very good pre-season. Absolutely unwarranted, but predictable JKB “let’s have a go at a player who isn’t yet a first name on the team sheet” nonsense. 

Boom..,.

Best post on this weird thread

7 hours ago, Barack said:

We will sell him, before his contract is up. We do need a squad, that much isn't in question.

Toby's a good player, that's gone/going through a lull. But, I see his future back in England tbh. At a decent profit for us, hopefully.

Yes surly bee must give Toby a full season to improve at least in his correct position! 

fabienleclerq

His run ended up costing us the goal because no on efilled in his position. I think the management team saying they want a right sided CH says it all.

7 hours ago, oritem8 said:

Wow, way to support your team. Go Hearts yay .:jambobanana:

42 minutes ago, pointon said:

Toby Sibbick is Peter Harings replacement going forward 

Fans are fickle! It was not long ago we where screaming for Gino to get a contract now he's probably played his last game! 

all the raving about atkinson, he got hussled off the ball in dangerous positions yet he's brilliant but sibbick isn't flavour of the month, always need somebody to throw stick at with hearts fans

The laddie looks good on the ball but tends to get caught ball watching in our box. I’m sure he’ll learn from Halkett and Kingsley though. 

1 hour ago, pointon said:

Played most of his career as a centre midfielder, played at centre back by his last club and signed by us as a defender. 

Hopefully follows with the next step of racking up man of the match awards in midfield. 

1 hour ago, pointon said:

Surely not, I know he is work in progress but I'm not sure he will ever progress enough unless he can deal with this switch off positionally tendancy he has.

BackOfTheNet

Just like Shankland isn’t the next Robbo after two goals in a friendly (but you wouldn’t have guessed it looking at the Shankland thread), Sibbick is not the shite player after making an error here and there in a friendly (but you wouldn’t have guessed it looking at this thread). Middle ground people, grey areas. Not every opinion must be an absolute, FFS.

Mr Elwood P
10 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

His recovery speed gives him the potential to be an exceptional centre back with massive sell on value. He needs support from the fans and development from the club. For how quickly a player can develop see Calvin Bassey ...

Don't forget most of us felt Halkett wasn't good enough after the championship season, myself included, so I will judge him only after a pre season and whole season under his belt, he definitely needs a run in the team but I must admit it will be difficult for him especially if we bring in another competent RCB, wouldn't write him off just yet though, Still very young also.

Neverforgetfiveone
11 hours ago, Stendelnator said:

Personally I would keep him, we need players to push the first 11. Also it’s a long season and there will be need for rotation. Especially after European games. Fringe players will get games against weaker teams in the league.

Jambof3tornado
11 hours ago, copa-mundial said:

His biggest asset is his recovery speed. I'd wager he's the quickest in our team. 

Not sure its good that we've noticed his recovery speed is good,means we get to see him recovering situations he's messed up far too often! Physically he should do much better but often gets caught on the wrong side of the ball or man.

Interesting to see if he can step up and command a starting berth.

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Just like Shankland isn’t the next Robbo after two goals in a friendly (but you wouldn’t have guessed it looking at the Shankland thread), Sibbick is not the shite player after making an error here and there in a friendly (but you wouldn’t have guessed it looking at this thread). Middle ground people, grey areas. Not every opinion must be an absolute, FFS.

Hoping to see growth from last season where he was harshly judged by some having been thrown right in the mix.

He has good potential but whether we see it or not time will tell.

The White Cockade

He’s just making ridiculous errors st the moment

Does have pace and potential so will hopefully come good 

A midfielder for me not a CB

Dagger Is Back
5 hours ago, Pistol1874 said:

Feels a little harsh on Haring given he left the field for Grant half an hour before the goal was conceded.

👍👏

It’s not the first time we’ve been caught out after PH has been taken off. 

Not convinced by him.

He's got a good turn of pace and is quite composed but he is not great in the air, not aggressive enough, not a great passer and I don't think his positioning is great.

Hopefully he'll improve, because he will need to in this team.

BackOfTheNet
1 hour ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Hoping to see growth from last season where he was harshly judged by some having been thrown right in the mix.

He has good potential but whether we see it or not time will tell.

He’s a step up quality wise on Moore. He has bags of potential given the abilities he possesses, so with the right coaching on the training pitch and management of his mentality he can be a proper talent. It’s up to the club to nurture that talent. He’s obviously not anywhere near a Souttar standard yet, but tell you what, we’ll get a hell of a lot more game time out of Sibbick in the long run. So, if we’re being technical about it, he’s likely going to offer more to us as a club than Souttar did. Especially if he goes for a fee. (Before anyone jumps on that last line, re-read the whole post for context before accusing me of saying he’s a better player when I haven’t).

Kirky Jambo

I think he looks like he has potential, but is just so frustrating to watch as he doesn’t seem to learn from his mistakes and constantly makes major errors. 

If he can really get his head down and graft to improve his basic defensive abilities I think we could have a really good player on our hands. Souttar used to be poor in the air and error prone but really improved those aspects of his game, so it can be done

joondalupjambo

What I liked about him was that after that horrendous error in the first half against Hibs at Hampden he stood tall, stood up and was very much counted.  He could have gone to mush in that big game and had to have been subbed but he did not, he reacted positively and helped us through to the final. That alone tells me he is not a bad player.

BackOfTheNet
5 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

What I liked about him was that after that horrendous error in the first half against Hibs at Hampden he stood tall, stood up and was very much counted.  He could have gone to mush in that big game and had to have been subbed but he did not, he reacted positively and helped us through to the final. That alone tells me he is not a bad player.

Very good point. He was completely at fault for that goal, was a howler of an error really, but he reacted very well. Mature for his age, actually.

• davemclaren changed the title to Toby Sibbick ( merged )