Drew Busby R.I.P.

Scott Leitch

3 hours ago, 132goals1958 said:

Was that the game the King returned to Tynecastle and  Drew scored a trademark Willie Bauld header.

Yes

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Big Drew

• japanjambo

• John Findlay

• dannymack

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

That's right, the famous red & white stripes.

Losing 3-2 in Dens replay.

Think that was the end of a long unbeaten run under John haggart

John Findlay
2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Mental the size of crowds for cup ties back then. Always something more special about them.

Seems to be the opposite now, we struggle to sell the tickets.

I think cup ties back then were part of the season ticket book.

8 hours ago, japanjambo said:

Andrew, I remember being on the phone with him and he was telling me about the book. He said "Lynn, this guy knows more about me than I know about myself!". Had a good laugh thinking about it. He was some man. 

Still having to pinch myself Lynn. Yes, I remember working through the tapes and time without number Drew would say, 'I'd forgot about that!' or 'Eh? did I?', or 'yeah, I remember that now...' He very kindly gave me a loan of his scrapbooks and it helped me bring out more memories and it was good how he pulled no punches with total honesty about situations, colleagues, opponents and managers. Some cracking photos too, which had previously been unpublished. As I said, a real previlege to work on a book with my boyhood hero about my boyhood hero!

I've a few pictures which I didn't use in the book. Here's one of him with a young group of Queen of the South fans he showed around the ground. 

Drew Giving young fans a tour of Palmertson Park.jpg

Glamorgan Jambo

One of the very first games I went to was a season ender vs Partick at Tynecastle. Hearts 3 - Thistle 1. Three Prentice crosses, three Busby headers. What a combo and what a player.

The Real Maroonblood
9 hours ago, Big Drew said:

Still having to pinch myself Lynn. Yes, I remember working through the tapes and time without number Drew would say, 'I'd forgot about that!' or 'Eh? did I?', or 'yeah, I remember that now...' He very kindly gave me a loan of his scrapbooks and it helped me bring out more memories and it was good how he pulled no punches with total honesty about situations, colleagues, opponents and managers. Some cracking photos too, which had previously been unpublished. As I said, a real previlege to work on a book with my boyhood hero about my boyhood hero!

I've a few pictures which I didn't use in the book. Here's one of him with a young group of Queen of the South fans he showed around the ground. 

That’s a lovely photograph.

Thanks for posting it.

japanjambo
13 hours ago, Big Drew said:

What a great photo , Andrew. Think he regretted not pursuing the managerial route more. 

13 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

That’s a lovely photograph.

Thanks for posting it.

You're welcome! I like this one too for Morton against Killie - a flying header.

Drew gets in a header v Kilmarnock in 80-81 season.jpg

9 hours ago, japanjambo said:

What a great photo , Andrew. Think he regretted not pursuing the managerial route more. 

I think he was scunnered by the way things worked out at Queens when he lost key players and the promotion target went off the rails as a result and he was unable to find suitable replacements. One of his ambitions was to manage Hearts and it might have happened (who knows) if the Queens gig hadn't gone so badly at the end. Have attached a couple of pictures1100655027_DerbyCounty(A)TCFBusbyandJarvieclosedownBoulton.thumb.jpg.1aaad5581d4cb165f151aead95763cc7.jpg of Drew playing in the 1972 Texaco Final at the Baseball Ground in Derby which I obtained after the book had been sent to the printers.

Derby County (A) TCF. Busby chases the ball down.jpg

The 'Club News' on the official Hearts website wrongly suggests he is still running the Waverley Bar - a copy and paste from somewhere which doesn't read very well and needs changed. 😥

Edited by Big Drew
typo

33 minutes ago, Big Drew said:

The 'Club News' on the official Hearts website wrongly suggests he is still running the Waverley Bar - a copy and paste from somewhere which doesn't read very well and needs changed. 😥

It's quite clear in the first paragraph that it is a repeat. Having said that, it would've been better if the first and last paragraphs were in different fonts, or some other way to separate them from the repeated content. 

"The following profile was written by club historian David Speed for Drew’s induction, and we feel it appropriate to repeat it here on this extremely sad day."

3 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

It's quite clear in the first paragraph that it is a repeat. Having said that, it would've been better if the first and last paragraphs were in different fonts, or some other way to separate them from the repeated content. 

"The following profile was written by club historian David Speed for Drew’s induction, and we feel it appropriate to repeat it here on this extremely sad day."

Yes, agree Mikey. I just think in addition that it could have been tweaked in some way on the article for the second last paragraph to past tense - as it just doesn't read well for me. The rest is ok. I think it is just lazy not to do a wee tweak. Not a dig at David Speed either as his immense work is much appreciated by all Jambos.

japanjambo
16 hours ago, Big Drew said:

I think he was scunnered by the way things worked out at Queens when he lost key players and the promotion target went off the rails as a result and he was unable to find suitable replacements. One of his ambitions was to manage Hearts and it might have happened (who knows) if the Queens gig hadn't gone so badly at the end. Have attached a couple of pictures1100655027_DerbyCounty(A)TCFBusbyandJarvieclosedownBoulton.thumb.jpg.1aaad5581d4cb165f151aead95763cc7.jpg of Drew playing in the 1972 Texaco Final at the Baseball Ground in Derby which I obtained after the book had been sent to the printers.

Derby County (A) TCF. Busby chases the ball down.jpg

Fabulous pics!

japanjambo
15 hours ago, Big Drew said:

Drew Busby's first half goal against Rangers in a 3-0 Ibrox win in September 1973.

Rangers (A) 3-0 (Lge) 29.9.1973 (Lge) Busby scores.jpg

Brilliant.

Don’t know if it has been commented on, as I haven’t scrolled too far back …

but I really appreciated that Hearts won 7-0 on Tuesday and Kingsley scored at hat trick. Because I have a great memory of Christmas Eve 1977 and us winning 7-0 (that time, against Arbroath). The Buzzbomb scored a hat trick. (So did the fine Willie Gibson … Malcolm Robertson with the other.) sad times with Mr Busby gone, but happy memories remain at every turn.

Alex MacDonald
2 minutes ago, Gilamas said:

Don’t know if it has been commented on, as I haven’t scrolled too far back …

but I really appreciated that Hearts won 7-0 on Tuesday and Kingsley scored at hat trick. Because I have a great memory of Christmas Eve 1977 and us winning 7-0 (that time, against Arbroath). The Buzzbomb scored a hat trick. (So did the fine Willie Gibson … Malcolm Robertson with the other.) sad times with Mr Busby gone, but happy memories remain at every turn.

Both Drew and Willie were given a crate of whisky from league sponsors for scoring a hat-trick in that game, as that was part of the sponsorship deal that season to reward hat-trick scorers.

On 03/07/2022 at 00:47, Midloth_Iain said:

great goals but disappointed in the level of celebration from the Hearts fans  ......

On 03/07/2022 at 00:47, Midloth_Iain said:

great goals but disappointed in the level of celebration from the Hearts fans  ......

The School End was the hibs end, well the main bulk of their support, they used to try and congregate at the corner of The Shed were the corner flag was but more often than not that's as far as they got. 

14 minutes ago, Alex MacDonald said:

Both Drew and Willie were given a crate of whisky from league sponsors for scoring a hat-trick in that game, as that was part of the sponsorship deal that season to reward hat-trick scorers.

That’s right.

I’m sure that at 6-0 we were given a penalty.  Drew already had his hat-trick but, although he was our penalty taker, he gave the task to Willie who had two goals in the game.

Hence the two crates of Whyte and Mackay!

On 03/07/2022 at 11:21, Francis Albert said:

29000 at that game probably not far off 50/50 split as big derbies were back then ...  before ground capacities shrank, segregation and large scale ST sales.

Hadn't realised or had forgotten that we hadn't beaten Hibs at Tynie for 10 years.  Surely our worst ever home run in derbies?

7th Sept 1963 W 4-2

8th Sept 1973 W 4-1

3rd Sept 1983 W 3-2...

3 Tynecastle victories in the league in 20 years. 😵

8th Apr 1964 W 3-0 EOSS

2nd May 1964 W 3-2 Sum Cup

21st Feb 1966 W 2-1 SC

7th May 1966 W 4-2  EOSS

1st May 1970 W 3-2 EOSS

3rd May 1975 W 2-1 EOSS

Were the other victories at Tynecastle out with the League campaign.

At Easter Road within that period 

5th Sept 1964 W 3-5

1st Jan 1966 W 2-3

7th Sept 1968 W 1-3

4th Nov 1978 W 1-2

2th Aug1984 W 1-2 

Non league games...

4th May 1966 W 1-3 EOSS 

17th Mar 1970 W 1-2 EOSS 

27th Oct 1981 W 1-2 EOSS 

Edited by dannymack

13 minutes ago, dannymack said:

7th Sept 1963 W 4-2

8th Sept 1973 W 4-1

3rd Sept 1983 W 3-2...

3 Tynecastle victories in the league in 20 years. 😵

8th Apr 1964 W 3-0 EOSS

2nd May 1964 W 3-2 Sum Cup

21st Feb 1966 W 2-1 SC

7th May 1966 W 4-2  EOSS

1st May 1970 W 3-2 EOSS

3rd May 1975 W 2-1 EOSS

Were the other victories at Tynecastle out with the League campaign.

At Easter Road within that period 

5th Sept 1964 W 3-5

1st Jan 1966 W 2-3

7th Sept 1968 W 1-3

4th Nov 1978 W 1-2

2th Aug1984 W 1-2 

Non league games...

4th May 1966 W 1-3 EOSS 

17th Mar 1970 W 1-2 EOSS 

27th Oct 1981 W 1-2 EOSS 

Albeit 5 seasons out of the 20 both clubs avoided each other due to relegation and promotion. 

TorinoJambo
21 hours ago, Big Drew said:

Drew Busby's first half goal against Rangers in a 3-0 Ibrox win in September 1973.

Rangers (A) 3-0 (Lge) 29.9.1973 (Lge) Busby scores.jpg

I'm up that other end somewhere. Rab Prentice ran riot that day. Buzz nearly took the net away twice.

Jingle Bells

Sorry it's not a Hearts goal, but it gives an idea of how good a header of the ball Drew was.  

On 04/07/2022 at 17:37, Sherbet said:

Yes

A Roy Kay cross for Drew Busby to score at the School end. Willie Bauld said afterwards he’d of been proud to have scored that goal.

10 hours ago, mitch41 said:

A Roy Kay cross for Drew Busby to score at the School end. Willie Bauld said afterwards he’d of been proud to have scored that goal.

Sure it was a cup replay on a Wednesday night v Kilmarnock 

Decent attendance that night and I remember reading the King saying afterwards he'd have been proud to score that goal 

On 04/07/2022 at 14:21, Alex MacDonald said:

Pretty sure it was a 3rd round Scottish Cup tie in Jan or Feb '75, with a crowd of 22000. Drew's header was one of my favourite goals of his, and he autographed the photo of it when I met at the signing of his book. 

jb_00009.jpg

And his no fuss celebration wheeling away after that superb header!

Kilmarnock (SC3) 2-0 (H) 29.1.75 Busby wheels away after scoring.jpg

Alex MacDonald
2 hours ago, Big Drew said:

Excellent Drew, brilliant image, first time I’ve seen it. I’m up there somewhere in the South Stand with my old man, and Willie Bauld will be in the centre stand celebrating and admiring Drew’s finish.

17 minutes ago, Alex MacDonald said:

Excellent Drew, brilliant image, first time I’ve seen it. I’m up there somewhere in the South Stand with my old man, and Willie Bauld will be in the centre stand celebrating and admiring Drew’s finish.

There was a great atmoshere that night and I remember my Old man being quite excited about Bauld being there. We used to stand just in front of the pylon under the covered terracing. Brilliant days - I can shut my eyes and still visualise the experience.

japanjambo
14 hours ago, Big Drew said:

Love seeing these old images. Fantastic, Andrew. 

132goals1958
25 minutes ago, japanjambo said:

Love seeing these old images. Fantastic, Andrew. 

It is uncanny that you can cast your mind back to a particular game and player which I suppose demonstrates why Drew is remembered in such special and affectionate terms. I was sitting in the old stand that evening. The attendance of Willie Bauld was rightly built up as an emotional  return following a lengthy stand off which had been well chronicled. It was just perfectly set up for a King like headed goal. 

Lone Striker

I have a friend through the west who is friendly with Ian Sneddon.   He was talking to Ian yesterday - he's still in shock, since he and Drew were close and they  had been chatting only a few days  before he died.  Seemingly quite sudden.