Drew Busby R.I.P.

Scott Leitch

I recall that after the New Year 0-7 humiliation we were very poor for the rest of that season and laughably poor at Tynecastle versus Airdrie where Busby was a stand-out for them. We signed him shortly afterwards, thank goodness, and he didn’t take long to impress in maroon: the 4-1 versus Hibs, as others have mentioned.

A Hearts legend indeed. RIP Drew.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Big Drew

• japanjambo

• John Findlay

• dannymack

Harry Potter

Drews goal against Locomotiv Leipzig on the 29th September 1976, what a great night, turning over 

a 1st leg loss of 2-0 winning 5-1 on the night.

The Real Maroonblood
28 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Drews goal against Locomotiv Leipzig on the 29th September 1976, what a great night, turning over 

That’s the best European game I’ve attended.

What a night.

2 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

My favourite European game, by a mile.

RIP Drew😍

I liked how he battered that cross in off Willie Gibson's head against Lokomotiv 😁.    Drew told Donald Ford to stick close to him for knock downs - I'm sure they practised holding an eight foot piece of string between them to get used tp playing like this. 

There was a 2-1 home win against Ayr where Drew scored the winner - his first attempt was half saved and was bouncing towards the line when he slipped and fallinbg forwards, punched it into the net. Ayr manager Ally McLeod went ballistic on the touchline! The ball may have been over the line but TV pictures were not clear. More grist to the Buzzbomb legend.

12 hours ago, Shaun-mortimer said:

The older boys in Mather’s sing this regularly enjoying a few pints after the game RIP Drew

👍 and should continue to due so in perpetuity.

Always remembered as a legend

N Lincs Jambo
43 minutes ago, JTJ said:

I liked how he battered that cross in off Willie Gibson's head against Lokomotiv 😁.    Drew told Donald Ford to stick close to him for knock downs - I'm sure they practised holding an eight foot piece of string between them to get used tp playing like this. 

There was a 2-1 home win against Ayr where Drew scored the winner - his first attempt was half saved and was bouncing towards the line when he slipped and fallinbg forwards, punched it into the net. Ayr manager Ally McLeod went ballistic on the touchline! The ball may have been over the line but TV pictures were not clear. More grist to the Buzzbomb legend.

It was at the Gorgie Road end and in the pre-segregation days so loads of Hearts fans there giving the Ayr goalie Hugh Sproatt dogs abuse. The ball was definitely not over the line until Drew (ahem) "assisted" it over. Can't believe it stood!

andyscott82

He played well before my time, but the level of esteem he’s held in pretty much universally by Hearts fans says it all for me. My old man says he was a great player.  By all accounts an absolute gem off the pitch too.  

RIP

23 hours ago, maroonlegions said:

Would love the club to honor his legacy and memory by renaming the current main stand to The Drew Busby Stand. 

22 hours ago, John Findlay said:

I understand why you say this, but for me there are more deserving players than Drew, however I do think a lounge or a bar should be named in his honour.

We used to have STs in the Willie Bauld Suite. I don't know if that was ever re-created in the new stand in any form (ditto the John Robertson Lounge). Anyhoo, there surely must be scope either with existing rooms or those yet to be developed that could be named in honour of Drew Busby, Willie Bauld, and Robbo? Just a thought.

7 hours ago, bigdav said:

2nd Jan 1978. The old Bayview. Needing to win to keep in touch in the title race. Drawing 1-1. 89th min a cross comes in. Drew put the ball,the goalkeeper an East Fife defender and himself in the net,prob would be disallowed now. Absolute carnage as the ground was packed with Hearts fans.

RIP Drew Busby 😥

My first away game and a great day out.

RIP Drew 

I can remember being at a cup tie against Kilmarnock might have been 1976 Busby got both goals in a 2 0 win .

Francis Albert
5 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

We used to have STs in the Willie Bauld Suite. I don't know if that was ever re-created in the new stand in any form (ditto the John Robertson Lounge). Anyhoo, there surely must be scope either with existing rooms or those yet to be developed that could be named in honour of Drew Busby, Willie Bauld, and Robbo? Just a thought.

I think we could have more evocative names for the hospitality venues and other public spaces within the new stand like the restaurant and bar and indeed the Georgie Suite. Maybe it is about selling to corporate functions rather than just Hearts fans. 

Not in favour of naming stands themselves after players.

TorinoJambo
11 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

The last goal was a shot from Drew which cannoned off Willie Gibson's heed. And in. Willie never knew a thing about it. 

Doctor FinnBarr
10 hours ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

It was at the Gorgie Road end and in the pre-segregation days so loads of Hearts fans there giving the Ayr goalie Hugh Sproatt dogs abuse. The ball was definitely not over the line until Drew (ahem) "assisted" it over. Can't believe it stood!

2 handed punch

Howdy Doody Jambo

I first remembered watching sportscene on the Saturday night when Drew scored twice against Celtic at Tynecaste 100% commented player 

RIP 

Danny Wilde

Some great memories being shared here of BuzzBomb and I remember them all. One of maybe half a dozen players from a pretty grim era for the club, who made it all bearable. And oh man those penalties, what a shot he had on him. First name I'd put down in my Hearts XI from the last 50 years. Hope the club can do something to remember him at the start of next season. RIP Buzz.

Danny Wilde
51 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

I first remembered watching sportscene on the Saturday night when Drew scored twice against Celtic at Tynecaste 100% commented player 

RIP 

Still there on youtube and remember the day well. 

i wish jj was my dad
1 hour ago, The Maroon Pound said:

RIP 

I am sure my first game was v Partick after that run of beating Aberdeen, Celtic and Hibs. My first memory is Drew being booked. 

Midloth_Iain
12 hours ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Fabulous memories ... all hail the Buzzbomb ! ☺️

Midloth_Iain
5 hours ago, SCFHearts said:

great goals but disappointed in the level of celebration from the Hearts fans  ......

7 hours ago, Midloth_Iain said:

great goals but disappointed in the level of celebration from the Hearts fans  ......

Sound quality is poor, it was loud at the time, believe me.👍

Tommy Brown
7 hours ago, Midloth_Iain said:

Pre segregation days.

Vermin had a decent support then and were there I'm numbers to celebrate their previous result. Hibsd it.

Alex MacDonald

Terrible news and a big shock. You always assumed Drew was indestructible. As mentioned by many, he was one of our first heroes during difficult times. My first 1st team game that I went to with my dad was against Partick Thistle towards the end of 73/74 season, I would've been 7. Drew scored a second-half hat-trick in a 3-1 home win, all from crosses from the late, great Rab Prentice. I'll never forget it. I feel very fortunate to have seen so many of his goals, and penalties buried. Hopefully we can celebrate his life at a full Tynecastle against Ross County. Rest in peace Drew, and thank you for so many priceless, unforgettable memories. Deepest sympathy to the Busby family at this difficult time.

Francis Albert
3 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Pre segregation days.

Vermin had a decent support then and were there I'm numbers to celebrate their previous result. Hibsd it.

29000 at that game probably not far off 50/50 split as big derbies were back then ...  before ground capacities shrank, segregation and large scale ST sales.

Hadn't realised or had forgotten that we hadn't beaten Hibs at Tynie for 10 years.  Surely our worst ever home run in derbies?

Just heard. So very very sad as I thought he like me would go on forever. Same age as me too - 74.

RIP Drew and thanks for all the great memories. You will be missed.

My condolences to your family and friends.

I started going to Tynecastle regularly from 75-76 and there were very few positives about Hearts back then. One of them was that you knew that when Drew Busby was playing he would give everything he had for the cause. Rest easy Drew Busby, a true Hearts legend 

On 01/07/2022 at 14:27, Morgan said:

Although I have already posted my thoughts to this very sad thread, I need to add that this news is the worst I’ve ever heard, with regard to the death of a footballer.

As a wee boy, I was Drew Busby and my pal was Bobby Prentice.

To say I’m heartbroken would be an understatement.

God bless you, Drew, I loved you then and I love you now.

My wi fi has been down mate am absolutely greeting reading all the comments it might not be tasteful but my favourite was the game at Fester Road were he tried to wipe out everything in green and white out rip buzz if they all had your heart we would never have been relagated

13 minutes ago, andi17 said:

My wi fi has been down mate am absolutely greeting reading all the comments it might not be tasteful but my favourite was the game at Fester Road were he tried to wipe out everything in green and white out rip buzz if they all had your heart we would never have been relagated

Great sentiments, Andi, and oh so true.

The Buzzbomb hated the Hibs, just the way it should be.

Hope you’re well my friend?

Just now, Morgan said:

Great sentiments, Andi, and oh so true.

The Buzzbomb hated the Hibs, just the way it should be.

Hope you’re well my friend?

Am good ma pal so sad seeing all your heroes go and FTH always

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

despite having a poor team overall there were a few heroes in there - Drew Busby Rab Prentice etc

Drew would have been a hero in any era and I saw my first victory over Celtic thanks to Drew’s two goals (that took 4 years and I still hadn’t seen us beat hibs yet unbelievably)

seemed like he was a great guy too - as someone said earlier in the thread sometimes it’s ok to meet your hero

kawasakijambo
1 hour ago, andi17 said:

A hot Sunday afternoon, in the East of Scotland Shield.

Fantastic.

Just now, kawasakijambo said:

A hot Sunday afternoon, in the East of Scotland Shield.

Fantastic.

I remember it pissing doon however yea we are the Gorgie boot boys we took no sheet

japanjambo
On 01/07/2022 at 18:18, Big Drew said:

An incorrect saying is ‘never meet your heroes’. I know that’s wrong in Drew Busby’s case, as I had the privilege to meet him many times and produce his career story in book format. He was ‘thee man’ as a player. Had a hardman image as he had a robust playing style, but what a lovely, humble man and a complete gentleman in every way. It was a real pleasure to meet and work with him and he was so welcoming when I asked him about doing a book on his career. He was astounded that anyone would be interested 34 years later on, but I reassured him with the fact that he was revered then and now as a real Hearts hero whereby everyone who saw him play in maroon could testify to that fact. I heard the news an hour or so ago and felt very upset. The last time I saw Drew was the semi-final with Rangers at Hampden a couple of years ago when we didn’t turn up and lost 3-0. An all-too familiar tale. Annoying as it was, it happened in the 70s too, but it was always obvious how gutted Drew was when Hearts failed to hit the heights in important games. Leipzig and Killie at home in the Cup (for example) were exceptions. I’m glad Drew recorded his career details in book format so we have that record to look back on as today’s news is simply devastating. Thanks for the memories Buzz and your name will live on due to the fantastic efforts you made as a Super Heart, despite the decline you witnessed at the end of your time at Tynecastle. We still sing that famous song today…

Busby Book.jpg

Andrew, I remember being on the phone with him and he was telling me about the book. He said "Lynn, this guy knows more about me than I know about myself!". Had a good laugh thinking about it. He was some man. 

On 02/07/2022 at 18:48, Jambos56 said:

I can remember being at a cup tie against Kilmarnock might have been 1976 Busby got both goals in a 2 0 win .

This was the game I was going to mention.  It was either a replay or the first game was postponed due to the weather.  I remember it being played on a cold Wednesday night.  Turned out to be a great game with Busby scoring the 2 goals.  One of which, a header, was special.

Alex MacDonald
31 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

This was the game I was going to mention.  It was either a replay or the first game was postponed due to the weather.  I remember it being played on a cold Wednesday night.  Turned out to be a great game with Busby scoring the 2 goals.  One of which, a header, was special.

Pretty sure it was a 3rd round Scottish Cup tie in Jan or Feb '75, with a crowd of 22000. Drew's header was one of my favourite goals of his, and he autographed the photo of it when I met at the signing of his book. 

jb_00009.jpg

132goals1958
37 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

Was that the game the King returned to Tynecastle and  Drew scored a trademark Willie Bauld header.

Edited by 132goals1958

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, Alex MacDonald said:

Pretty sure it was a 3rd round Scottish Cup tie in Jan or Feb '75, with a crowd of 22000. Drew's header was one of my favourite goals of his, and he autographed the photo of it when I met at the signing of his book. 

jb_00009.jpg

Mental the size of crowds for cup ties back then. Always something more special about them.

Seems to be the opposite now, we struggle to sell the tickets.

Alex MacDonald
23 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Mental the size of crowds for cup ties back then. Always something more special about them.

Seems to be the opposite now, we struggle to sell the tickets.

The following round, a home 1-1 draw with Dundee, there was 27,000, yet at the time we were only getting around 8-9000 for regular league games.

Tommy Brown
6 minutes ago, Alex MacDonald said:

The following round, a home 1-1 draw with Dundee, there was 27,000, yet at the time we were only getting around 8-9000 for regular league games.

That's right, the famous red & white stripes.

Losing 3-2 in Dens replay.