Drew Busby R.I.P.

Scott Leitch

John Findlay
12 minutes ago, Hearts Heritage said:

Thomson Allan did a 'triple save'. He could certainly hit the ball.

1976-08-14_HEA_2_DND_0_LC_Section_1_of_6-006

Cheers for that. 

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Big Drew

• japanjambo

• John Findlay

• dannymack

Auld Reekin'
1 hour ago, Big Drew said:

An incorrect saying is ‘never meet your heroes’. I know that’s wrong in Drew Busby’s case, as I had the privilege to meet him many times and produce his career story in book format. He was ‘thee man’ as a player. Had a hardman image as he had a robust playing style, but what a lovely, humble man and a complete gentleman in every way. It was a real pleasure to meet and work with him and he was so welcoming when I asked him about doing a book on his career. He was astounded that anyone would be interested 34 years later on, but I reassured him with the fact that he was revered then and now as a real Hearts hero whereby everyone who saw him play in maroon could testify to that fact. I heard the news an hour or so ago and felt very upset. The last time I saw Drew was the semi-final with Rangers at Hampden a couple of years ago when we didn’t turn up and lost 3-0. An all-too familiar tale. Annoying as it was, it happened in the 70s too, but it was always obvious how gutted Drew was when Hearts failed to hit the heights in important games. Leipzig and Killie at home in the Cup (for example) were exceptions. I’m glad Drew recorded his career details in book format so we have that record to look back on as today’s news is simply devastating. Thanks for the memories Buzz and your name will live on due to the fantastic efforts you made as a Super Heart, despite the decline you witnessed at the end of your time at Tynecastle. We still sing that famous song today…

Busby Book.jpg

:icon14: :flag2:

Horatio Caine
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Only penalty I ever saw him miss was against Dundee whe he blootered the baw right down the middle and although he dived the baw hit Thomson Allan's knees. Because the baw was hit so hard I believe the rebound cleared the penalty box.

Fair play to Allan - most goalies just got out of the way of Drew's penalties!  Made watching Hearts worthwhile in a lean spell. RIP Drew.

PortyBeach
5 hours ago, merrymac said:

RIP Drew

A shining light of effort and dedication, and no little skill in a tough time for the team

His name is Drew Busby, The talk o' the north, He plays at Tynecastle, Just over the Forth, He drinks all the whisky and Newcastle Brown, The Gorgie boys are in town...

Na, na, na …‘Mon the Hearts! 
As others have mentioned, Busby was a shining light in a dark period when it wasn’t easy to watch a Hearts team. ♥️

RIP Drew Busby

One of my favourite players at that time. Wow what a shot that man had.

Playing football when we were kids it was always BUSBY ! when you tried to smash one from 25 yards.

Sadly missed.

I was at one of his early games for us V Hibs at Tynie, the first derby after the 0-7 against them, he was brilliant, scored the last goal in the 4-1 win and we all knew then he would be a great player for us. RIP Drew, absolute legend.

had to pull over when I heard the news this afternoon  as i couldn't see through the tears . RIP my 1st hero. 

colinmorewasgash

My first game was 74 v dundee but this was my first versus the Celtic as 9 yr old kid. 

Hearts 2 Celtic 0 

2 crackers from drew busby past peter latchford. 

RIP buzzbomb.1115231048_1978102802Celtic2-0Tynecastle.thumb.jpg.db0b111dc46dfbc532c418e9f4cc91d7.jpg

maroonsgotop

great player......................great man.....................gone....but will never be forgotten. RIP Drew

Didn't know until I came on here.

Absolutely gutted.

Watched his whole career with us.

One of my all time favourite players in watching Hearts in over 60 years.

Condolences to his family.

RIP Drew.

We met the the Buzzbomb in the pub after the game , or was it before canny remember 😁against Liverpool ,I was a bit pished but my mate had a good chat with the legend, top guy and will be missed RIP.

45 minutes ago, Dsjambo said:

I was at one of his early games for us V Hibs at Tynie, the first derby after the 0-7 against them, he was brilliant, scored the last goal in the 4-1 win and we all knew then he would be a great player for us. RIP Drew, absolute legend.

I was at that game too. Really sad to hear of his passing. 

N Lincs Jambo

Very very sad news. My Hearts heroes from the 1970s passing away. First Jim Cruikshank, then Bobby Prentice and Alan Anderson and now the Buzzbomb. Here's a clip of a game mentioned a few times already, Hearts v Celtic October 1978. We thought we had turned the corner - victories at Pittodrie and Easter Road and then the Buzzbomb starring in this one:

RIP Drew Busby - Hearts legend!

Gutted. ****ing gutted. Sitting in a hotel outside Manchester Airport right now. Due to go on holiday tomorrow. Bairns asking what’s up, missus asking what the prettied lip is aboot. Gutted. Absolutely ****ing shite news 

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet on here but Drew's passing hasn't made its way onto the BBC sport Web site yet. I think that's pretty disrespectful

Archie White

We had a great start to season 73-74 and were top with Celtic after the first few games. I remember going through to Ibrox and saw us beat the huns 3-0 which would be unbelievable now. Busby got 2 (and Prentice scored his 1st goal). I couldn't celebrate as I'd gone into the wrong end by mistake! A great player of his time. You don't see tackles like his anymore. Powerful shot but also with his head too. Always gave 100%. I like to believe the old Gilzean badge is happening now "Jesus saves and Busby nets the rebound".

N Lincs Jambo
7 minutes ago, Archie White said:

We had a great start to season 73-74 and were top with Celtic after the first few games. I remember going through to Ibrox and saw us beat the huns 3-0 which would be unbelievable now. Busby got 2 (and Prentice scored his 1st goal). I couldn't celebrate as I'd gone into the wrong end by mistake! A great player of his time. You don't see tackles like his anymore. Powerful shot but also with his head too. Always gave 100%. I like to believe the old Gilzean badge is happening now "Jesus saves and Busby nets the rebound".

Thought there must be a clip of that game on YouTube but can't find one anywhere. Shame we couldn't keep the momentum going that season but what a great start it was with new players like Busby, Prentice and Aird really giving the place a lift.

Slightly before my time but the words of those that saw him play make it pretty clear he is worthy of the legendary status. RIP and thought with friends and family.

Seriously ? 

That's like me saying I associate Andy Goram with Hibs more than Rangers !!! 

Apologies for potentially ruining the Drew Busby Memorial thread.

Screenshot_20220701-215951_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220701-215858_Chrome.jpg

IMG-20220701-WA0013.jpg

50 minutes ago, Henroddy said:

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet on here but Drew's passing hasn't made its way onto the BBC sport Web site yet. I think that's pretty disrespectful

I spotted two very brief pieces on the BBC website, but they took a bit of work to track down.  Here's one:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/articles/cnex0xzzgplo

May he rest in peace.

Although I have already posted my thoughts to this very sad thread, I need to add that this news is the worst I’ve ever heard, with regard to the death of a footballer.

As a wee boy, I was Drew Busby and my pal was Bobby Prentice.

To say I’m heartbroken would be an understatement.

God bless you, Drew, I loved you then and I love you now.

Weakened Offender
44 minutes ago, dannymack said:

Seriously ? 

That's like me saying I associate Andy Goram with Hibs more than Rangers !!! 

Apologies for potentially ruining the Drew Busby Memorial thread.

Screenshot_20220701-215951_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220701-215858_Chrome.jpg

IMG-20220701-WA0013.jpg

The two Drews were a machine for Airdrie. Aberdeen and Hearts looked at both players. Both are loved by the supporters of each club. 

tiger Rudi

R. I. P Drew Busby. One of my favourite games ever was the Leipzig 5.1 match. As a young boy being in the shed pre seating, was a memory that will stick with me forever. Whenever anybody asks me my favourite Hearts moment, it is that game. The atmosphere was fantastic at Tynie. Busby & Co, legends that night. Donald Ford once visited our primary school, starstruck so I was and him & Busby were my personal favourites from that era. Its a sad sad day. Condolences to the family. 

Rocky jamboa

Busby was just before my time but aware he was a Hearts legend. Up there with Dave Mckay, Robbo and Rudi. Can see how much he meant to fans of that era from the comments on here. Was great seeing some of the clips folk have uploaded to this thread. A sad day for Hearts. RIP legend 🇱🇻

8 hours ago, merrymac said:

RIP Drew

A shining light of effort and dedication, and no little skill in a tough time for the team

His name is Drew Busby, The talk o' the north, He plays at Tynecastle, Just over the Forth, He drinks all the whisky and Newcastle Brown, The Gorgie boys are in town...

The older boys in Mather’s sing this regularly enjoying a few pints after the game RIP Drew

Doctor FinnBarr
45 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Although I have already posted my thoughts to this very sad thread, I need to add that this news is the worst I’ve ever heard, with regard to the death of a footballer.

As a wee boy, I was Drew Busby and my pal was Bobby Prentice.

To say I’m heartbroken would be an understatement.

God bless you, Drew, I loved you then and I love you now.

You and me are the same era mate. Like I mentioned on page one the Mrs got his autograph tattooed on her shoulder although she never seen him play, she'd heard me talk about  him and seen how much awe I was in when I finally met him in the Corn Exchange. Wee Geordie bugger was making herself a keeper wi that yin. 

Got John Robertson 27 done on her other shoulder  the same day.

im too young to see him play but with everything posted on this thread and other tributes RIP and i'll have a newcastle brown for you

Francis Albert

My abiding memory of Drew is the final goal in the 4-1 home win against Hibs in September 1973. It was our first derby after the humiliation of the New Years Day game that year. It was a great game which we dominated but did not reflect that in the score until Drew scored our fourth. For me and maybe my generation it was the nearest a derby came  to the 5-1 final and against a better Hibs side.

RIP and thanks for the memories.

Doctor FinnBarr
13 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

im too young to see him play but with everything posted on this thread and other tributes RIP and i'll have a newcastle brown for you

He was as hard as nails milky, never shied from a challenge, never cheated...........well, apart from scoring against Ayr with a 2 handed diving punch against Hugh Sprott. Certain 5 or 6 Ayr players were booked for complaining.

colinmaroon

As I've  said already on this thread  a legend.

He always looked physically massive on the pitch and a real "hard man," and yet he seemed to have shrunk physically in size in civvies  and genial doesn't begin to describe him.

Theme From Sparta F.C.

Drew signed a copy of his book for my late Dad after a match around 7 years ago.

Although he was in the Gorgie Suite, he came to the front door to sign it. I gave it too my Dad as a birthday surprise, and he was well chuffed.

I'll treasure that book now, as Drew and Bobby Prentice were my favourite players as a kid.

RIP Drew.

You were a true Legend to us young Lads.

Gone but never forgotten.....

3 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

The two Drews were a machine for Airdrie. Aberdeen and Hearts looked at both players. Both are loved by the supporters of each club. 

Yep, heard many a story about their partnership and how Hearts wanted both players, I wonder what went on, I know Drew Busbys reason for signing for The Hearts but I wonder what stopped us getting Mr Jarvie ? 🤔 

But for a Hibee to associate Drew Busby with Hibs more so Hearts reeks of bitterness, also to suggest he wasn't good enough for Hibs is another stab at our club, Hibs weren't that good from 75/76 onwards. 

Edited by dannymack

R.I.P Drew, you were before my time but by all accounts he sounded like he was an absolute gentleman and a fantastic player for our beautiful club.

I’m recovering from Covid and only heard this recently. I was 14 when I went to my first game at Tynecastle in 1976.Drew was an instant hero with his never say die attitude and of course that rocket shot ! 

R.I.P. Buzz Bomb.

2nd Jan 1978. The old Bayview. Needing to win to keep in touch in the title race. Drawing 1-1. 89th min a cross comes in. Drew put the ball,the goalkeeper an East Fife defender and himself in the net,prob would be disallowed now. Absolute carnage as the ground was packed with Hearts fans.

RIP Drew Busby 😥