Euan Henderson

7PNJ4

He’s not as bad as some make out and not as good as others are suggesting. 

If he shows the coaching staff this summer that he’s capable of adding something to the squad then I’m right behind him, if he is deemed to be not worth keeping then I can’t complain 

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Churchill Barrier

• Bazzas right boot

• i8hibsh

• bawheed

If he does well then it's to our benefit Its his last chance so hopefully he's up to it Its up to us to stay of his back and give him that chance

Mr Elwood P
3 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

I like Euan and i believe he can do a job for us in a Wayne Foster impact style way but if we go into the season with him as even our 3rd striker then it kind of undoes all the good recruitment we have done in defence and midfield.

We only play 1 striker though? Simms / Boyce and Henderson for back up. Grant able to play the Boyce role in behind the striker.

13 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

He's nowhere near good enough to maintain a 1st team place, miles away from it in fact.

He's done the square root of Jack Shit to deserve a chance no matter what punters on here think.

The ball is in his court though and he has youth on his side and all he can do is work harder than anyone else and keep improving and hope his chance comes, when it does, we'll see. 

Never understood why we keep renewing his contract. Will make even less sense if he goes out on loan again. 

Jingle Bells

He doesn't miss to many shoots/goals in training. It's just a matter of transferring that finishing accuracy/confidence to the First Team, which I'm sure Naismith will help him with.

highlandjambo3

I’m a wee bit on the fence with this one………on the pro side he’s been scoring goals and he’s fast, on the con side it’s been at a much lower level……will he be a regular starter, I don’t think so, we may see him a bit later as strikers are injured or need rested.  The better he does in pre the more (earlier) we may see him in the starting lineup.  As others have said, he’s going to get a brief snapshot to cement his place and he needs to take his chance, let’s say over a 4-5 game stretch where he starts 2 or 3 and appears as a sub in 2 or 3……if he doesn’t score we won’t see much more of him………IMO of course.

Edited by highlandjambo3

Mr Kipling

Nothing against Euan, but in all honesty he's like playing with a man down. Everytime his name is on the starting 11, my heart sinks. I have seen nothing convincing that he is a first team player at Hearts. Happy to be convinced otherwise though! 

stevie1874
26 minutes ago, Mr Kipling said:

Nothing against Euan, but in all honesty he's like playing with a man down. Everytime his name is on the starting 11, my heart sinks. I have seen nothing convincing that he is a first team player at Hearts. Happy to be convinced otherwise though! 

Extremely harsh to suggest it’s like playing with a man down. In all honesty I don’t think he’ll make it at Hearts, but he really needs a chance of a few starts and he needs to grab his chance when it comes along. He has pace is direct and can finish, the question is can he do it at this level. As others have said big season for the lad. 

Unknown user

I like him, I think he'll click into a good championship striker, maybe premier League. It's not beyond possible he'll make it with us, although it gets less likely as time goes on 

On 01/07/2022 at 07:53, 7PNJ4 said:

Really hope he gets a consistent chance this season. Did what you're supposed to do as a striker out on loan last season and scored goals. Key players may find themselves rested more frequently in the upcoming campaign and I think this will give players on the fringes of the squad more motivation. Motivation isn't something he's lacked though, rather the opportunity. If he gets consistent game time I think he gets at least 10 goals this season. 

Never looks confident imo. It's all up to him....

A_A wehatethehibs
On 01/07/2022 at 01:26, Churchill Barrier said:

If he was given the game time boyce has been given, he would score more goals,  far better finisher.  

I have read some brain dead pish on KB but this one is up there 😂

Churchill Barrier
22 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I have read some brain dead pish on KB but this one is up there 😂

You are obviously an expert on the brain dead.

Its about opinions Boyce misses a ridiculous amount of simple chances. Thats a fact.

2 minutes ago, Churchill Barrier said:

Its about opinions Boyce misses a ridiculous amount of simple chances. Thats a fact.

What’s worrying is right now Boyce and Henderson are leading us into our league and European campaigns 😱

The Natural Order

Euan will never be good enough for Hearts. He found his level in the lower league. It would be better for him if he left and a decent carer at teams like Hamilton or ICT rather than be a jobbing bench
warmer here.

12 hours ago, Mr Kipling said:

Nothing against Euan, but

😂😂😂😂. Why do people start a tirade against a player/manager etc with these words. You obviously have something against him as is your right so just own it 

I quite like him, played out of position lots of times, always worked hard and if anything , seemed to be thinking a bit quicker than his teammates. When played in his proper position he looked much better than when played out of position. Whether he makes it at Hearts or not, may be a different story.

A_A wehatethehibs
3 hours ago, Churchill Barrier said:

Liam Boyce, yes he does miss chances, yes there are better forwards out there, no doubt about that.

But he is the top goalscorer currently playing in the Premiership with 60 goals from 138 Premier games which puts him in the top 25 strikers in the leagues history on goals scored.

Euan Henderson on the other hand the “far better finisher” has never scored in the Premiership putting him below Calum Elliot and Gary Glen at this stage. So he’s got everything to prove and win a pro career of any description. Let alone a pro career as respectable as that of Boyce. 

Tasavallan

My son used to travel up to Montrose with Euan.  I believe this will be his season.  Watch the Europa game, much more clinical in finishing than Boyce, who continues to miss easy chances.

Has filled out and will do well as a striker.

I'm another who thinks Henderson has something and will have a career in football. He's always looked to me like he has a football brain, is quick and can finish.

It's the hunger or desire to win his individual battles to impose himself on games that's never looked like is totally there. 

Some of the comments have been way OTT. Will he make it at Hearts? Dunno, buy he'll have to so something significant this season to have any chance.

He's quite plainly not pish though. 

Churchill Barrier
1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Liam Boyce, yes he does miss chances, yes there are better forwards out there, no doubt about that.

But he is the top goalscorer currently playing in the Premiership with 60 goals from 138 Premier games which puts him in the top 25 strikers in the leagues history on goals scored.

Euan Henderson on the other hand the “far better finisher” has never scored in the Premiership putting him below Calum Elliot and Gary Glen at this stage. So he’s got everything to prove and win a pro career of any description. Let alone a pro career as respectable as that of Boyce. 

You can only score goals if you are given a chance. Boyce was a half decent player who im afraid age and injuries have caught up with. He takes too many touches on the ball, slows play down , has poor decision making,  always seems to mishit the ball when shooting. I believe his day has been, would be delighted to be proved wrong, however the last few weeks of the season kinda back up my assessment.

Watt-Zeefuik

I have to agree that the comparison of him and Boyce is bizarre and just the product of the overblown frustration with Boyce on here.

At the same time, I find it equally bizarre how folk are saying because he was unable to produce in the Premiership, that he's definitely not good enough. The majority of the time he played in the top tier, was a teenager playing in dysfunctional teams for a manager who'd become a dinosaur. And most of his appearances were as a sub!

Some of these same folk are saying his problem is "he just doesn't look confident," and who would be under those circumstances?

When he was 18, he went to League One with Montrose and scored 5 goals in 31 appearances. When he was 21, he went to Alloa and scored 17 in 29 appearances, by all accounts playing a huge role in keeping a bad team from being relegated.

Maybe, just maybe, he's found some confidence and is ready for another go at the Prem?

Not saying he'll make it by any means, but to me anyone writing him off already now that he's 22 and found his form is being exceptionally thick.

Edited by Led Tasso

13 minutes ago, Churchill Barrier said:

You can only score goals if you are given a chance. Boyce was a half decent player who im afraid age and injuries have caught up with. He takes too many touches on the ball, slows play down , has poor decision making,  always seems to mishit the ball when shooting. I believe his day has been, would be delighted to be proved wrong, however the last few weeks of the season kinda back up my assessment.

liam boyce is 31 FFS

AlimOzturk
8 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

liam boyce is 31 FFS

And was our top scorer last season :rofl:

A_A wehatethehibs
4 minutes ago, Churchill Barrier said:

That’s a fair enough view of where Boyce is at, but don’t be peddling silly stuff like Euan Henderson a kid who has done absolutely the square root of **** all at pro level, as a “better finisher” than Boyce. He is completely unproven.

Liam Boyce is entering his twilight years but as an experienced player, proven, known quantity I would still back him to hit us 10 goals minimum next season even though i think / hope he will be getting less minutes as we need more pace and power like Simms was offering. I would not be placing any bets Euan Henderson to get 10 and if he did, that would be an absolutely wonderful breakthrough season for him and totally proved himself worth a place at Hearts. 

With that in mind there is an absolutely MASSIVE opportunity for Euan to put his hand up this season and write his name on a Hearts jersey and win himself a cushty 2-3 year contract. From there who knows he could kick on and take the reigns off of Boyce. It’s a fantastic chance for a young striker. Particularly if we were to bring in a (not so long ago) hot shot like Shankland for Euan to compete against. Physically he is faster and more muscular than Shankland. So he has good attributes. That could be the ideal type of player to light a fire under Euan. 

But it his up to him to step up and light his own fire. Not the manager to give him a run of 10-15 games where he gets loads of patience find his feet. Neilson like any manager, faces the sack if his team go on a barren run. It’s sink or swim for players. Euan will definitely get opportunities to play and when he does he must make an impact that’s the pressure of being a Hearts player.

A_A wehatethehibs
29 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

I have to agree that the comparison of him and Boyce is bizarre and just the product of the overblown frustration with Boyce on here.

At the same time, I find it equally bizarre how folk are saying because he was unable to produce in the Premiership, that he's definitely not good enough. The majority of the time he played in the top tier, was a teenager playing in dysfunctional teams for a manager who'd become a dinosaur. And most of his appearances were as a sub!

Some of these same folk are saying his problem is "he just doesn't look confident," and who would be under those circumstances?

When he was 18, he went to League One with Montrose and scored 5 goals in 31 appearances. When he was 21, he went to Alloa and scored 17 in 29 appearances, by all accounts playing a huge role in keeping a bad team from being relegated.

Maybe, just maybe, he's found some confidence and is ready for another go at the Prem?

Not saying he'll make it by any means, but to me anyone writing him off already now that he's 22 and found his form is being exceptionally thick.

Its about proof; evidence. What has Euan proved at this stage? League 1 standard. Just. He had a good first half of last season. But between Jan-April he went on a pretty poor run of 2 goals and 1 assist in 13 games, red card and missed 2 further games with suspension. He bagged 4 in the last game which masks it a bit. Details are important though. He is not in red hot form. 

And another thing, though I do (per above) think it’s a potential terrific chance for him this season, I’m actually not going to be too impatient with him. Some say it’s his last chance saloon. Not necessarily, it could even be a good move for Euan to get him out on loan again, up another level into the championship to one of the stronger teams who will create chances, maybe the likes of Raith, go and let him work on his game away from the baying mob of Hearts fans demands, and handle that step up in standard to playing against professional defenders, keep on working behind the scenes with Naismith on his development. Let him go at his own pace and give him another year. Look at what Spurs done with Harry Kane. 4 separate loans, levelling up each time, patience was kept, and the breakthrough eventually came. Don’t know if we’ve ever done that with a player. Usually seems to have been 1-2 loans then binned in the 3rd season or so. Long term patience doesn’t seem to be something that’s been tried enough. The fact that Euan had a very young debut at 16 does skew the view on him a bit. 

On 30/06/2022 at 23:26, Churchill Barrier said:

If he was given the game time boyce has been given, he would score more goals,  far better finisher.  

Hi euan. 

Watt-Zeefuik

Its about proof; evidence. What has Euan proved at this stage? League 1 standard. Just. He had a good first half of last season. But between Jan-April he went on a pretty poor run of 2 goals and 1 assist in 13 games, red card and missed 2 further games with suspension. He bagged 4 in the last game which masks it a bit. Details are important though. He is not in red hot form. 

And another thing, though I do (per above) think it’s a potential terrific chance for him this season, I’m actually not going to be too impatient with him. Some say it’s his last chance saloon. Not necessarily, it could even be a good move for Euan to get him out on loan again, up another level into the championship to one of the stronger teams who will create chances, maybe the likes of Raith, go and let him work on his game away from the baying mob of Hearts fans demands, and handle that step up in standard to playing against professional defenders, keep on working behind the scenes with Naismith on his development. Let him go at his own pace and give him another year. Look at what Spurs done with Harry Kane. 4 separate loans, levelling up each time, patience was kept, and the breakthrough eventually came. Don’t know if we’ve ever done that with a player. Usually seems to have been 1-2 loans then binned in the 3rd season or so. Long term patience doesn’t seem to be something that’s been tried enough. The fact that Euan had a very young debut at 16 does skew the view on him a bit. 

You can't demand proof of something that hasn't been tried. He hasn't been tried in top tier games with a manager who wasn't Cathro or Levein and when he's not a teenager. That's what it would take to prove the assessment, "he hasn't matured and that's his level."

What has been proven is that he scored significantly more in League 1 than when he was younger. That's a straight apples-to-apples comparison and the jump in his performance was massive. So that's evidence that he's improved significantly.

As to his winter dry spell, as mentioned above he was Alloa's most dangerous player, scoring over 1/3 of their goals. The other clubs decided to lock down on him and make other players beat them, and in the lower leages that can often mean a good kicking. 17 goals in 29 games is a fair return in whatever shape it comes in, though.

I think another loan to a Championship club could work well, but I also think the club should get a look at him in our preseason friendlies, as I suspect they already are. He's yet another case of where a reserve league would do him a world of good but perhaps another loan is fine.

The one view of him I can't conscience is writing him off as done already. That's just foolish.

Churchill Barrier
2 hours ago, milky_26 said:

liam boyce is 31 his 

His pace and touch are that of someone far older. 

5 hours ago, Churchill Barrier said:

I am about done with Boyce. Admittedly I only saw the second half today but he was involved in two  sequences that reminded me too much of what he put forth last season. He sclaffed one from about 6 yds in front of goal and the other one he was dead centre on the edge of the box and should/could have smashed a shot on net but chose his usual two or three more touches option and they closed him down. Same shite different season. We need better!

Churchill Barrier
8 minutes ago, Canscot said:

I am about done with Boyce. Admittedly I only saw the second half today but he was involved in two  sequences that reminded me too much of what he put forth last season. He sclaffed one from about 6 yds in front of goal and the other one he was dead centre on the edge of the box and should/could have smashed a shot on net but chose his usual two or three more touches option and they closed him down. Same shite different season. We need better!

Want him to do well, he certainly got ample opportunities last season despite really poor form. 

Mr Elwood P
13 minutes ago, Canscot said:

The stupidity of our fans never ceases to amaze me. Well done.

On 30/06/2022 at 23:16, H2 said:

you know better than everyone else, no matter what they think - PMSL. You sound like Boris!

Sounds like an absolute roaster and everything’s that wrong with some of our support 🤷🏻‍♂️

Bazzas right boot
13 hours ago, Churchill Barrier said:

He's never been that fast and his touch ( unsure age effects that too much) is one of the best in the team, maybe even the league. 

Are you sure your thinking of Boyce and not Wighton.... 

Churchill Barrier
2 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

He's never been that fast and his touch ( unsure age effects that too much) is one of the best in the team, maybe even the league. 

Are you sure your thinking of Boyce and not Wighton.... 

Im sure . If he scores more than 5 goals this season ( he wont be on penalties) i will be very surprised. 

As for best touch in the league... sure its not you thats got wrong player

5 minutes ago, Churchill Barrier said:

Im sure . If he scores more than 5 goals this season ( he wont be on penalties) i will be very surprised. 

As for best touch in the league... sure its not you thats got wrong player

£100 donation to FOH that he scores more than 5 league goals excluding penalties if you’re so confident.

Churchill Barrier
4 minutes ago, DB-14 said:

£100 donation to FOH that he scores more than 5 league goals excluding penalties if you’re so confident.

Ok. I would gladly pay that to be wrong. 

gorgieheart
16 hours ago, Churchill Barrier said:

your contributions are akin to somebody far younger, perhaps P1  !

Churchill Barrier
23 minutes ago, gorgieheart said:

your contributions are akin to somebody far younger, perhaps P1  !

If a p1 could write that,  i would be impressed.

People are allowed to have negative opinions you know. 

30 minutes ago, Churchill Barrier said:

Ok. I would gladly pay that to be wrong. 

Excellent. 

Let’s hope you are.

16 hours ago, Churchill Barrier said:

His first touch is absolutely sublime, wtf are you on? 

He's not the quickest & he's not sticking chances away just now but come on, lets not make up shite.

Bunny Munro

If Henderson lined up for Ross County on opening day, I wouldn't worry at all.

I hope he makes it, but he's shown less than Wighton.

gorgieheart
53 minutes ago, Churchill Barrier said:

If a p1 could write that,  i would be impressed.

People are allowed to have negative opinions you know. 

indeed  they are.

Difference is, yours are just plain P1 level  😉

Churchill Barrier
33 minutes ago, gorgieheart said:

indeed  they are.

Difference is, yours are just plain P1 level  😉

Mature constructive response.

Im sure you laughed typing it.

Well done

Churchill Barrier
1 hour ago, boag1874 said:

He's not the quickest & he's not sticking chances away just now but come on, lets not make up shite.

His third touch maybe

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, boag1874 said:

It really is. 

Some folk must be watching different players or a different team. 

Boyce is a bit ropey in front of goal, no debate there. 

His contribution to our team and attack is clear and this poor first touch chat is ridiculous. 

I always think of a players quality in terms of would I want that player at another club v us. 

Boyce in a Aberdeen or hibs team wouldnt be good, it would make them a better team and we'd struggle to replace what he brings. 

If he was fast and scoring at the rate some think is reasonable he'd be worth about £70m and be playing for Man City ( exaggeration, probably about £10m and a rangers, player) . 

He's got flaws, that's why he's with us. 

Poor first touch tho.... :bolt:

gorgieheart
1 hour ago, Churchill Barrier said:

Mature constructive response.

Im sure you laughed typing it.

Well done

I did 

Dont get your wee troosers soiled now !

20 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

It really is. 

Some folk must be watching different players or a different team. 

Boyce is a bit ropey in front of goal, no debate there. 

His contribution to our team and attack is clear and this poor first touch chat is ridiculous. 

I always think of a players quality in terms of would I want that player at another club v us. 

Boyce in a Aberdeen or hibs team wouldnt be good, it would make them a better team and we'd struggle to replace what he brings. 

If he was fast and scoring at the rate some think is reasonable he'd be worth about £70m and be playing for Man City ( exaggeration, probably about £10m and a rangers, player) . 

He's got flaws, that's why he's with us. 

Poor first touch tho.... :bolt:

Absolutely spot on

Bazzas right boot
21 hours ago, Churchill Barrier said:

His third touch maybe

His third touch is better than your last 3 posts. 

Howling. 

AlphonseCapone

I think Henderson will have an alright career, but don't think it'll be with us. Nothing wrong with that. 

Boyce for me is a better number 10. His touch and vision are very good. His finish is decent but not out and out striker level for us I don't think. His main weakness is holding on to the ball too long sometimes and being slow to release. When he's on it though, he is one of the most naturally gifted on the ball in the squad imo. 

Edited by AlphonseCapone