On This Day 1981

dannymack

20 hours ago, martoon said:

Top picture:

It might be the camera angle but the no man's land between us and them suggests we were in a different postcode. 😊

My first derby as a 13 year old. A fantastic Hibs 1 Hearts 2 that I've never forgotten.

Bottom picture:

Probably taken just after the iron bar whistled past Wallace's ear. I swear I was standing next to the bloke, a stranger, who threw it.

Thanks for the memories, danny.

👍

Good/Bad memories... wouldn't swap it for anything. 👌🏻👍🇱🇻

13 hours ago, luckydug said:

What a narrow escape that was. 

Thank god Mr Mercer was persuaded by Donald Ford and others to go along and meet the fans. I think he 'got' the Hearts that night at the Locarno ball room in Slateford and decided to start an adventure. 

A new regime, a new start, out of the brink, first foot forwards. 

image.webp

NINTCHDBPICT000450849777.jpg

20 hours ago, martoon said:

Top picture:

It might be the camera angle but the no man's land between us and them suggests we were in a different postcode. 😊

My first derby as a 13 year old. A fantastic Hibs 1 Hearts 2 that I've never forgotten.

Bottom picture:

Probably taken just after the iron bar whistled past Wallace's ear. I swear I was standing next to the bloke, a stranger, who threw it.

Thanks for the memories, danny.

👍

It was some of a terracing and the no man's land was essential especially when Hearts and Rangers were visitors. 

I remember the iron bar, the punk with the peroxide hair, and the injured policemen. 

IMG-20160204-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20160204-WA0015.jpg

IMG-20160204-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20160204-WA0006.jpg

20200903_135220.jpg

Alex MacDonald (11) watches as Craig Levein heads the ball during an Edinburgh derby in August 1984.jpeg

Doctor FinnBarr
On 30/06/2022 at 18:50, ginger jambo98 said:

Think Bobby Parker held the reins of the club for a few years in the 70s. 

But did he actually own the club? I was only a young teenager at the time and have no real idea.

davemclaren
44 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

But did he actually own the club? I was only a young teenager at the time and have no real idea.

Prior to Mercer no one person owned the club. 

Doctor FinnBarr
4 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Prior to Mercer no one person owned the club. 

Did Parker pay the bills or was it a committee thing?

davemclaren
Just now, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Did Parker pay the bills or was it a committee thing?

The club paid the bills but eventually needed ‘investment’. Parker owned the newsagent shop in the bus station. I doubt he had much capital to invest. 

3 hours ago, dannymack said:

It was some of a terracing and the no man's land was essential especially when Hearts and Rangers were visitors

I remember the iron bar, the punk with the peroxide hair, and the injured policemen. 

IMG-20160204-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20160204-WA0015.jpg

IMG-20160204-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20160204-WA0006.jpg

20200903_135220.jpg

Alex MacDonald (11) watches as Craig Levein heads the ball during an Edinburgh derby in August 1984.jpeg

That gap must have been a great comfort to the Hibby in those days.

😇

Doctor FinnBarr
4 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

The club paid the bills but eventually needed ‘investment’. Parker owned the newsagent shop in the bus station. I doubt he had much capital to invest. 

Thanks for that Dave, was very unsure how the club was run/funded before Mercer

3 hours ago, dannymack said:

It was some of a terracing and the no man's land was essential especially when Hearts and Rangers were visitors. 

I remember the iron bar, the punk with the peroxide hair, and the injured policemen

IMG-20160204-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20160204-WA0015.jpg

IMG-20160204-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20160204-WA0006.jpg

20200903_135220.jpg

One of those lads, a Hearts man, posted about his experience a wee while back.

I wasn't quite 14 when we played Motherwell that day and, although in the shed, played no part, danny.

4 hours ago, dannymack said:

Remember the Evening News 'Spot the Ball' competition back in the day? Nobody would've put their X on that ball. 🙃

rudeskaboyuk

Love seeing these old pictures. If that part of Easter road had been covered by a roof . That would have been some stadium. 

Prefer atmosphere now in over fully enclosed stadiums. Keeps the noise in and generates a better atmosphere.

We were hopeless back then but hey...at least the music was good .

Specials No1 with Ghost town. 

On 30/06/2022 at 18:50, ginger jambo98 said:

Think Bobby Parker held the reins of the club for a few years in the 70s. 

Parker did not own the club. Board "ran" the club and mainly pretty badly. We didn't even properly own tynecastle!!

tynietigers
On 30/06/2022 at 14:30, dannymack said:

But I'd guess you never contemplated giving up on them and changing your colours... oh and never ever thought in a million years that 5 years later the club would have played Paris St Germain in the UEFA Cup, were Tennant Sixes winners and a whisker away of winning the Premier League Title and Scottish Cup. 👍

When you put it like that , WOW ☺️👏👍🏻

On 30/06/2022 at 01:18, dannymack said:

After Bobby Moncur resigned and then failed attempts to get Jim McLean or Jock Wallace to take the managers role at Tynecastle, Wallace Mercer appointed Tony Ford as the new Gaffer. He was only 36 !!! 😳

6 months later, the start of our famous clubs rise and journey away from The Brink began. 

Tony Ford and Stewart McLaren 1981.jpg

Psycho! 

That's what 28 year olds from Larkhall looked like back then kids.  

SectionDJambo
On 02/07/2022 at 12:48, deejtee said:

Parker did not own the club. Board "ran" the club and mainly pretty badly. We didn't even properly own tynecastle!!

Was it not Archie Martin who opened the club up as a public company, after a bit of a battle to get the board to move with the times? He maybe was behind the purchase of Tynecastle as well, but I can't remember which board regime did that.

I think that Archie just didn't have the money to put into the club, at a time that we had little by way of valuable players to sell to raise capital. That's where Wallace came in, to prevent Kenny Waugh from taking over from Martin.

It was a time of turmoil for Hearts, in the midst of the yo yo years of promotions and relegations. Hard to believe that just 5 years later we came within 7 minutes of being champions.

1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

Was it not Archie Martin who opened the club up as a public company, after a bit of a battle to get the board to move with the times? He maybe was behind the purchase of Tynecastle as well, but I can't remember which board regime did that.

I think that Archie just didn't have the money to put into the club, at a time that we had little by way of valuable players to sell to raise capital. That's where Wallace came in, to prevent Kenny Waugh from taking over from Martin.

It was a time of turmoil for Hearts, in the midst of the yo yo years of promotions and relegations. Hard to believe that just 5 years later we came within 7 minutes of being champions.

He and Ian Watt. They then backed the wrong horse in Mercer v Waugh

SectionDJambo
10 minutes ago, deejtee said:

He and Ian Watt. They then backed the wrong horse in Mercer v Waugh

I’d forgotten about Ian Watt.

2 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

PLC LTD Companies. 

20160926_012132.jpg

IMG_20181031_110401.jpg

Screenshot_20220703-210038_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220703-210327_Gallery.jpg

The inability of the club to raise funds/investment went back to the value of tynecastle due to a small buy back value it the Hearts ceased to use it. That was sorted by Martin and Watt and opened the door for Mercer/Waugh.Very small pool of shareholders prior to that led to board members with single figure number of shares some of whom were singularly inept.