On This Day 1981

dannymack

After Bobby Moncur resigned and then failed attempts to get Jim McLean or Jock Wallace to take the managers role at Tynecastle, Wallace Mercer appointed Tony Ford as the new Gaffer. He was only 36 !!! 😳

6 months later, the start of our famous clubs rise and journey away from The Brink began. 

Tony Ford new Hearts manager 1981 b.jpg

Tony Ford new Hearts manager 1981 a.jpg

Tony Ford and Stewart McLaren 1981.jpg

1981 - Tony Ford.jpg

zkpfa1.jpg

Screenshot_20220630-011321_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220630-011251_Gallery.jpg

Edited by dannymack

davemclaren

I would say our rise started a year later given, after Ford was sacked, we got knocked out of the cup by Forfar and then failed to get promotion after losing 5-2 to Dumbarton at home then drawing at Killie and getting beat at home by Well. That was a crap season. 

Just now, davemclaren said:

I would say our rise started a year later given, after Ford was sacked, we got knocked out of the cup by Forfar and then failed to get promotion after losing 5-2 to Dumbarton at home then drawing at Killie and getting beat at home by Well. That was a crap season. 

indeed, that team was minging, the remnants of the 70's miss management of the club

davemclaren
3 minutes ago, reaths17 said:

indeed, that team was minging, the remnants of the 70's miss management of the club

Indeed, probably the lowest of the low for us. 

John Findlay
10 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Indeed, probably the lowest of the low for us. 

Agreed, I was glad to be at sea, somewhere in the Baltic, this day in 1981. I was definitely having more fun as a Sailor, than as a Hearts supporter back then.

Ballitojambo

Went to every game home and away those days, picked up the Tollcross bus at haymarket, we were so bad even the die hards started to drift away, i remember only a couple of busses at Ayr at a midweek game and Airdrie for an end of season game, but we stuck it out, stood on those crappy terraces singing Hearts Hearts glorious Hearts with no sense of irony, and look at us now, season tickets sold out, European trips ahead, its been a roller coaster, but worth it, we are a special club.

JamboAl1965

Not successful but something was stirring  that season

Wasn’t all bad either  

Aberdeen league cup game at home with Chris Robertson scoring. crowd just over 10k and the atmosphere was incredible.

Anyone remember the Gerry McCoy goal that Season a windy midweek night, near the edge of the box at the school end main stand side if I recall, think it was a lobbed cross but  caught in the wind and looped past the keeper. anyway that’s how I remember it. Felt like a wonder goal  at the time 

davemclaren
15 minutes ago, JamboAl1965 said:

Wasn’t all bad either  

Aberdeen league cup game at home with Chris Robertson scoring. crowd just over 10k and the atmosphere was incredible.

Anyone remember the Gerry McCoy goal that Season a windy midweek night, near the edge of the box at the school end main stand side if I recall, think it was a lobbed cross but  caught in the wind and looped past the keeper. anyway that’s how I remember it. Felt like a wonder goal  at the time 

The Aberdeen win in the LC sections was very much a false dawn for Tony Ford. Defeat at home by East Stirling and a home draw with Queens Park were more typical. 

Percival King
2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

It was indeed a low point but I'm sure Mercer said (possibly in that Back from the Brink video) that in retrospect our failure to get promoted that season was a blessing as it gave us another season to rebuild in the First Division, enabled us to get promoted as a stronger team and club and, most importantly, break the yo-yo cycle. And he was absolutely right.

JamboAl1965
5 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

The Aberdeen win in the LC sections was very much a false dawn for Tony Ford. Defeat at home by East Stirling and a home draw with Queens Park were more typical. 

I was looking for the good bits 😂

Best game of the 1981/82 was in the East of Scotland Shield. A surprising, and in the absence of competitive derbies, gloatworthy 2-1 win at Easter Road. 10k plus

We lost 0-1 at home to East Stirling three days later.  😞 😪 

4 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I know what your saying but I was meaning 6 months later Alex MacDonald was appointed when the journey began, well maybe the roller coaster ride began. 👍

4 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Agreed, I was glad to be at sea, somewhere in the Baltic, this day in 1981. I was definitely having more fun as a Sailor, than as a Hearts supporter back then.

But I'd guess you never contemplated giving up on them and changing your colours... oh and never ever thought in a million years that 5 years later the club would have played Paris St Germain in the UEFA Cup, were Tennant Sixes winners and a whisker away of winning the Premier League Title and Scottish Cup. 👍

3 hours ago, Ballitojambo said:

Went to every game home and away those days, picked up the Tollcross bus at haymarket, we were so bad even the die hards started to drift away, i remember only a couple of busses at Ayr at a midweek game and Airdrie for an end of season game, but we stuck it out, stood on those crappy terraces singing Hearts Hearts glorious Hearts with no sense of irony, and look at us now, season tickets sold out, European trips ahead, its been a roller coaster, but worth it, we are a special club.

Average attendance for Tynecastle Park seasons

1977/78: 10,100 *

1978/79: 11,200

1979/80: 5,700

1980/81: 7,700

1981/82: 5,200

1982/83: 6,054

1983/84: 12,000

1984/85: 11,300

1985/86: 16,200

Just shows you what a bit of success on the park does to the fan base.

* First season outwith the top flight.

davemclaren
2 minutes ago, dannymack said:

And what a bit of failure does as well. 😜

2 hours ago, JamboAl1965 said:

Wasn’t all bad either  

" We're gonna win the cup " 🤣 

I wasn't there that night but I do vaguely remember the shock in learning of that result.

Just now, davemclaren said:

And what a bit of failure does as well. 😜

I purposely left that phrase out to give us some happiness 😊 

Percival King
9 minutes ago, dannymack said:

That, and having games against Hibs, Celtic and Rangers instead of East Stirling, Queen's Park and Clydebank 

John Findlay
23 minutes ago, dannymack said:

But I'd guess you never contemplated giving up on them and changing your colours... oh and never ever thought in a million years that 5 years later the club would have played Paris St Germain in the UEFA Cup, were Tennant Sixes winners and a whisker away of winning the Premier League Title and Scottish Cup. 👍

Give up on the Hearts! My late Faither would have disowned me.

2 hours ago, martoon said:

Best game of the 1981/82 was in the East of Scotland Shield. A surprising, and in the absence of competitive derbies, gloatworthy 2-1 win at Easter Road. 10k plus

We lost 0-1 at home to East Stirling three days later.  😞 😪 

Hibs v Hearts EOSS SF 1981 *

Aberdeen v Hearts League Cup away 1981

Hearts v East Stirling 1982

Wallace Mercer, Police and a young yin, Motherwell 1982

*OG from Rae, last 10 minutes, Hearts end went ballistic 🤣🤣

Hibs v Hearts 1981 (10) - Copy - Copy - Copy-1.jpg

Aberdeen-League-Cup-1981-08-19-v-Hearts-1024x802.jpg

Screenshot_20220511-031303_Gallery.jpg

20211121_150204.jpg

Screenshot_20220630-145101_Gallery.jpg

Crowd trouble at Tynecastle 1982 a.jpg

Just now, John Findlay said:

Give up on the Hearts! My late Faither would have disowned me.

👍🇱🇻

Unfortunately some did, I know a handful of fans of various ages who did. 

Edited by dannymack

John Findlay
3 minutes ago, dannymack said:

👍🇱🇻

Unfortunately some did, I know a handful of fans of various ages who did. 

My father's mantra was simple. 

It's easy to support your team when they are winning, but it's more difficult to support them when they are losing, that's when they need your support the most. 

Those words will never leave me.

JamboAl1965
2 hours ago, dannymack said:

" We're gonna win the cup " 🤣 

I wasn't there that night but I do vaguely remember the shock in learning of that result.

mid been to my first derby in the cup game at Easter road in 79. The Aberdeen game was the first where I experienced something a bit special. That Aberdeen ream we beat were good 

3 hours ago, dannymack said:

I started going with my mates without my dad in 79/80 - gawd those were dark days.  My old man was probably delighted not to watch that.

Carl Fredrickson

Was the Aberdeen game the league cup group stage? If so, I was outside the players entrance before the game and was getting autographs of both teams. Wee Gordon Strachan (similar height to me and I was 11) took the book into the Aberdeen changing room to get the squad to autograph it. I was a bit cheeky to him after the game saying they were gubbed. I am sure he scored in the game at Pittodrie and ran up to a TV camera pointing at it. To this day I am sure he was pointing at me. Think we lost that game 4-0.

Aberdeen went on to win the cup winners cup - I wish I still had that autograph book.

3 hours ago, dannymack said:

My first game was 1977/78 (14-01-78 v QoS) 

Like to think I played my part in our resurgence. By the end of 1978, I’d seen us win all 3 of a 3 game spell against Celtic at home and at Pittodrie and Easter Road! 

Think we beat Rangers as well that season before going through a slump similar to Hibs 2014. 

Edited by Shaggy2

Back to 2005

Went to a few games with my dad that season.

hearts 0 east Stirling 1

hearts 1 Clydebank 0 (late goal which we missed as we left early)

Hearts 0 Forfar 1

and probably another couple where we didn’t score that I can’t remember. 
still loved every dismal second of it as a naive 11 year old!

merseyjambo

Remember the Aberdeen game. Great goal at the School end from Chris Robertson.

Fairly sure we played Motherwell at home about New Years Day and lost.

Can’t remember if it was that season or following but think we gave Patrick Thistle a 3 or 4 goal doing that season and I’m sure Willie Gibson came back with Raith that season and we beat them 2-0

Back to 2005
5 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

Remember the Aberdeen game. Great goal at the School end from Chris Robertson.

Fairly sure we played Motherwell at home about New Years Day and lost.

Can’t remember if it was that season or following but think we gave Patrick Thistle a 3 or 4 goal doing that season and I’m sure Willie Gibson came back with Raith that season and we beat them 2-0

Patrick game was around April time 83. Think Robbo got a hat trick .

things were starting to look up by then.

ginger jambo98
3 minutes ago, Apache Mal said:

Who owned the club in 70’s?

Think Bobby Parker held the reins of the club for a few years in the 70s. 

i wish jj was my dad

I think it was my first season going regularly. I remember the Motherwell games vividly. And Dumbarton and Kilmarnock. 

Percival King
1 hour ago, ginger jambo98 said:

Think Bobby Parker held the reins of the club for a few years in the 70s. 

I remember Edinburgh bookie Kenny Waugh tried to buy Hearts, probably around 81-82 time, but was unsuccessful and Mercer took over instead. Waugh subsequently took over Hibs. Another of these "what if" moments like Robbo almost signing for Hibs when Tom Hart was there. And just like the Robbo one, Hearts were the winners.

N Lincs Jambo
2 hours ago, Back to 2005 said:

Patrick game was around April time 83. Think Robbo got a hat trick .

things were starting to look up by then.

Went to that game with my late uncle. It was the last game he ever went to.He was Hibs but was very impressed with a very young Robbo that day. He grew up watching the Hibs of the Famous Five and reckoned Robbo could be that good. Glad to say he was right!

7 hours ago, John Findlay said:

It's easy to support your team when they are winning, but it's more difficult to support them when they are losing, that's when they need your support the most. 

Wise words and spot on.

1 hour ago, Percival King said:

I remember Edinburgh bookie Kenny Waugh tried to buy Hearts, probably around 81-82 time, but was unsuccessful and Mercer took over instead. Waugh subsequently took over Hibs. Another of these "what if" moments like Robbo almost signing for Hibs when Tom Hart was there. And just like the Robbo one, Hearts were the winners.

Kenny Waugh outside Tynecastle 1981.jpg

21 hours ago, dannymack said:

After Bobby Moncur resigned and then failed attempts to get Jim McLean or Jock Wallace to take the managers role at Tynecastle, Wallace Mercer appointed Tony Ford as the new Gaffer. He was only 36 !!! 😳

6 months later, the start of our famous clubs rise and journey away from The Brink began. 

Tony Ford new Hearts manager 1981 b.jpg

Tony Ford new Hearts manager 1981 a.jpg

Tony Ford and Stewart McLaren 1981.jpg

1981 - Tony Ford.jpg

zkpfa1.jpg

Screenshot_20220630-011321_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220630-011251_Gallery.jpg

Nooooo!

Not yet another Colin More picture.

:vrface: 

Konrad von Carstein
7 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Said something similar to my daughter, made her stay to the end of a few horrible losses when she was very young.

She's now a rabid fan and doesn't take lack of effort from players lightly, have looked at my shoes many a time when she kicks off :lol:

davemclaren
1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Nooooo!

Not yet another Colin More picture.

:vrface: 

Releasing More a few games before the end of the season was a huge mistake imo. 

9 hours ago, dannymack said:

20211121_150204.jpg

Top picture:

It might be the camera angle but the no man's land between us and them suggests we were in a different postcode. 😊

My first derby as a 13 year old. A fantastic Hibs 1 Hearts 2 that I've never forgotten.

Bottom picture:

Probably taken just after the iron bar whistled past Wallace's ear. I swear I was standing next to the bloke, a stranger, who threw it.

Thanks for the memories, danny.

👍

9 hours ago, dannymack said:

Kenny Waugh outside Tynecastle 1981.jpg

What a narrow escape that was. 

Thank god Mr Mercer was persuaded by Donald Ford and others to go along and meet the fans. I think he 'got' the Hearts that night at the Locarno ball room in Slateford and decided to start an adventure. 

7 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Releasing More a few games before the end of the season was a huge mistake imo. 

Did we not have to recall him?

On 30/06/2022 at 09:46, davemclaren said:

Was at both games, funny how its easy to forget those shite times

Lifted at Killie as well 

pettigrewsstylist
On 30/06/2022 at 09:46, davemclaren said:

What a season that was. Those last 2 games.....painful. Thought killie was going to be a full scale riot.

pettigrewsstylist
On 30/06/2022 at 14:55, dannymack said:

20211121_150204.jpg

Aye Raes OG was a special night ! My first fester rd derby as an unnacommpanied 11 yr old. Mayhem when that diving header nearly burst the net !

Edited by pettigrewsstylist

On 30/06/2022 at 14:37, dannymack said:

70 to 76 were feckin awful as well, though i must say that the whole country was bleak/broke back then, strikes/demonstrations, lets hope we aren't at the start of another decade like that, high interest rates were the start of it