Arthur Mann

The White Cockade

heartgarfunkel

Before my time but have heard many speak highly of Arthur Mann.  Didn't realise he died so tragically. A totally avoidable industrial accident.

2 hours ago, norrie1952 said:

Thanks,apart from my mistake with the fee,that feels like yesterday 

Yes I was also crushed when Willie signed for Celtic!

Francis Albert
On 26/06/2022 at 13:36, jambos are go! said:

Mann left Hearts in 1968 and Oliver did not sign till 1969 according to Wikipedia.

OK my memory failed me.  Usually I remember things from over 50 years ago better than things from 5 minutes ago,

Anyway I rate Mann and Oliver as  two of the best (if not the best) full backs  in my time watching Hearts.

Edited by Francis Albert

2 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

OK my memory failed me.  Usually I remember things from over 50 years ago better than things from 5 minutes ago,

Anyway I rate Mann and Oliver as  two of the best (if not the best) full backs  in my time watching Hearts.

Mine too Franny - I was positive I’d seen Oliver and Mann playing together 🤷‍♂️

6 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Can’t disagree with these two! Although I’d add Danny Ferguson, Davie Holt and Callum Paterson to the list!!

PS and Aaron Hickey - his performance in the 2019 Cup Final  was simply the best I’ve seen from a young near debutant 

Edited by Jambo-Fox

N Lincs Jambo

I was too young to see Arthur Mann play for us but in the recollections of others about classy left backs who played for us I’m surprised a very classy and far more recent Greek player not get a mention? Takis Fyssas was one hell of a player.

• 2 weeks later...
PortyBeach
On 25/06/2022 at 18:32, norrie1952 said:

You must be my vintage. Didn't like losing Arthur Mann.Iirc I remember Willie Wallace on the back of the daily record holding up a tim scarf,with the headline Wallace goes to Celtic for £20,000.Really pissed me off.

The club went on a downward spiral in the aftermath of losing/throwing away the 1964-65 League title.

Hindsight is great, but I think it’s fair to say things behind the scenes at Tynecastle played a significant part in that disaster. 
The ongoing mismanagement saw us lose disillusioned players like Wallace and the sale of players like Mann that should have been the foundation of a team rebuild.

Edited by PortyBeach

• 4 weeks later...
gordon simpson
On 28/06/2022 at 12:22, N Lincs Jambo said:

I was too young to see Arthur Mann play for us but in the recollections of others about classy left backs who played for us I’m surprised a very classy and far more recent Greek player not get a mention? Takis Fyssas was one hell of a player.

Takis the best I have seen ,and I saw Arthur Mann also