The White Cockade

The White Cockade

Watching one of the old Match Time Revisited shows on ITV

Wigan v Mansfield Div 4 from 1982

Arthur Mann left back for Mansfield 

The White Cockade

Wow! 
Same programme and George Cowie playing for West Ham v Man Utd

Didn’t realise he’s played first division football!

We played up at Arbroath days after we have sold Arthur. A bunch of us gave the directors pelters when they got off the team bus!

8 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

We played up at Arbroath days after we have sold Arthur. A bunch of us gave the directors pelters when they got off the team bus!

You can stick your £70 000 up your...

Arthur Mann was a great player. I think it was when he was sold that I realised that whenever we came up with a good player he'd most likely get sold.

john thomas
3 minutes ago, moonraker said:

You can stick your £70 000 up your...

Thought it was £40k ?

Vaguely remember Hearts had , a few years earlier , started a third team in order to bring young players through . Think Mann was the first product of that policy ?

Bit short on details , I'm sure someone will remember better

jambos are go!
2 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Thought it was £40k ?

Vaguely remember Hearts had , a few years earlier , started a third team in order to bring young players through . Think Mann was the first product of that policy ?

It was £70k. Hearts set up a Colts team that played in the East of Scotland league to develop youth. Did not last more than a few seasons. IIRC I watched Jim Jeffries play for the Colts, Reserves and first team in the same week. Lifted the King Cup for the Colts.

Had a beer with him when he was Grimsby town assistant manager.Great lad and a Jambo through and through.

As an aside,it was the night Leeds played their champions league semi.

john thomas
1 hour ago, jambos are go! said:

It was £70k. Hearts set up a Colts team that played in the East of Scotland league to develop youth. Did not last more than a few seasons. IIRC I watched Jim Jeffries play for the Colts, Reserves and first team in the same week. Lifted the King Cup for the Colts.

Cheers for that .

Still got half a memory!

2 hours ago, dubs said:

Next to losing Willie Wallace to that mob, Arthur Mann was my great disappointment. 

You must be my vintage. Didn't like losing Arthur Mann.Iirc I remember Willie Wallace on the back of the daily record holding up a tim scarf,with the headline Wallace goes to Celtic for £20,000.Really pissed me off.

Footballfirst
2 hours ago, john thomas said:

Thought it was £40k ?

Arthur was signed from Lochore Welfare in the summer of 1967 and played 28 competitive first team games in his first season.

16 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Great player. He and Peter Oliver the classiest full back pairing  I have seen in maroon.

Peter was also recruited from Lochore Welfare.

Arthur Mann was a fantastic player and if he’d stayed would have been one of my all time favourites!

Where did it go wrong?

”Sack the board”

”Lindsay OUT”

”Stick your £65,000 up ….”

1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

Great player. He and Peter Oliver the classiest full back pairing  I have seen in maroon.

Pairing?   They were both left backs

Francis Albert
24 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

Pairing?   They were both left backs

I am sure I saw them playing  together as full backs. Classily. Mann on right and Oliver on left. Mann later played in a more forward position at Man City. He certainly had the skill to do so.

All IRC which of course I may not.

Edited by Francis Albert

26 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Arthur Mann was a fantastic player and if he’d stayed would have been one of my all time favourites!

Where did it go wrong?

”Sack the board”

”Lindsay OUT”

”Stick your £65,000 up ….”

Yep, sold for a fraction of his actual value. The board at the time were horrendous. First offer snapped up. Glad these days are long gone.

His sister in law taught us in primary school. My favourite player. Went to a very good Man City team for £69k if I remember rightly.

2 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

I am sure I saw them playing  together as full backs. Classily. Mann on right and Oliver on left. Mann later played in a more forward position at Man City. He certainly had the skill to do so.

Ian sneddon was the right back

4 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Absolutely 👍

3 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

You are correct Franny 👍

4 hours ago, norrie1952 said:

You must be my vintage. Didn't like losing Arthur Mann.Iirc I remember Willie Wallace on the back of the daily record holding up a tim scarf,with the headline Wallace goes to Celtic for £20,000.Really pissed me off.

Was it not £30,000?

jambos are go!
19 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Mann left Hearts in 1968 and Oliver did not sign till 1969 according to Wikipedia.

john thomas
9 minutes ago, jambos are go! said:

Mann left Hearts in 1968 and Oliver did not sign till 1969 according to Wikipedia.

I'm sure you are correct but chips well and truly pissed upon

18 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Arthur was signed from Lochore Welfare in the summer of 1967 and played 28 competitive first team games in his first season.

Peter was also recruited from Lochore Welfare.

Cowden recruited one Craig Levein from Lochore Welfare  (or Lohore as the locals pronounced it). Sadly RIP now (Lochore Welfare I mean)

The Real Maroonblood
23 hours ago, dubs said:

Next to losing Willie Wallace to that mob, Arthur Mann was my great disappointment. 

I agree.

John Findlay

Interesting to note that the Wigan team he was playing against, had only been a league team for 4 years. Had Larry Lloyd as their manager, and a certain Bobby Charlton as a club director.

3 hours ago, the general said:

It was some kind of record fee for a left back iirc

I seem to recall that it was the record fee paid for a Scottish, if not British, defender. One of my all-time favorite Hearts players and I was sad to see him go but the accusation of the board letting him go on the cheap is unjustified. 

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, JTJ said:

Cowden recruited one Craig Levein from Lochore Welfare  (or Lohore as the locals pronounced it). Sadly RIP now (Lochore Welfare I mean)

Lochore Welfare continues to play in the EOSFL First division.

Other players who played for the Welfare and Hearts include Willie Johnston, Willie Gibson, Cammy Fraser and Colin Cameron.

When I watched them as a kid in the 60s they also had Ian Porterfield, Alec Edwards and Tom Callaghan in their side.

Alex MacDonald

Watched this as well, it's a good series to watch to remind yourself of how the game was back in the 70's and 80's, especially how chronic the playing surfaces were. I was too young to remember Arthur Mann, but good to see him in the game against Wigan Ath. Also good to see George Cowie playing for West Ham Utd in a no. 7 shirt, playing in midfield. I felt Cowie was under-rated for Hearts, and was a very reliable full back in the 3 or 4 years he was with us. My abiding memory of him however was at Dens Park in '86. We were sitting in the supporters bus after the game, in deep shock and devastated, Cowie walks past us on the way to the team coach, with tears in his own eyes.

john thomas
28 minutes ago, Towzer said:

George Cowie was banging my P.E. teacher Miss Logan at Tynecastle High.

She was magnificent 😁

Inappropriate place to do it

gordon simpson
35 minutes ago, Towzer said:

She was magnificent 😁

trust you to lower the tone lol ps was she tidy ?

Weakened Offender
2 hours ago, Towzer said:

She was magnificent 😁

Cowie was an absolute shagger. I was at a pre-season event and the players were all out drinking. Cowie was drinking with an utter ride. Kenny Black told us that was all he did, chatted up and shagged women wherever he went. 

the general
2 hours ago, gordon simpson said:

trust you to lower the tone lol ps was she tidy ?

We need pictures 📸

12 hours ago, norrie1952 said:

Could have been mate.It was just my memory

👍

8A130EE8-0565-4459-BF67-6EE4A1DCF7CE.jpeg

5 hours ago, Towzer said:

She was magnificent 😁

Hope Miss Logan where ever she is doesn’t read JKB! 🙈