A week of mixed emotions

iantjambo

My dad sadly passed away on the 8th June.

We had his funeral on Monday, which was a lovely affair and he got a great turnout. 
That was followed by a few days of feeling completely empty as I had to look to start moving forward from his death.

Then earlier today, my niece gave birth to a wee girl.

It’s definitely been the strangest week of my life.

Anyone else had a week of mixed emotions like this one?

il Duce McTarkin
17 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Yeh, the week I found out that I was going to be a dad for the first time I found out that my wee brother's testicular cancer had come back, but this time it was in his lungs, spleen, etc. 

It was a wierd time tbh. 

Thankfully, 4 years later I have an amazing wee boy and my brother has been all clear for a couple of years. 

Sorry for your loss, Ian. 

Edited by Dirk McClaymore

John Findlay
13 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

We had his funeral on Monday, which was a lovely affair and he got a great turnout. 
That was followed by a few days of feeling completely empty as I had to look to start moving forward from his death.

My father died 12 years ago. The pain was hard, very hard, but although it never goes away it does diminish overtime as life goes on. I have myself became a grandad twice over with two beautiful granddaughters, the first born in 2012 and the second in 2015( I was at Deepdale for the pre-season friendly with my youngest son and was told I was a grandad again at half-time, and fellow supporters asked why I was crying). 

Grieve until you can grieve no more, then enjoy your life, I am certain that is what your dad would want.

3 minutes ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

Yeh, the week I found out that I was going to be a dad for the first time I found out that my wee brother's testicular cancer had come back, but this time it was in his lungs, spleen, etc. 

It was a wierd time tbh. 

Thankfully, 4 years later I have an amazing wee boy and my brother has been all clear for a couple of years. 

Sorry for your loss, Ian. 

Thanks mate.

Great news about your brother.

2 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

My father died 12 years ago. The pain was hard, very hard, but although it never goes away it does diminish overtime as life goes on. I have myself became a grandad twice over with two beautiful granddaughters, the first born in 2012 and the second in 2015( I was at Deepdale for the pre-season friendly with my youngest son and was told I was a grandad again at half-time, and fellow supporters asked why I was crying). 

Grieve until you can grieve no more, then enjoy your life, I am certain that is what your dad would want.

I was completely devastated when he passed. It was a short Illness and so myself, mum, brother and 2 sisters were with him when he went.

He’d definitely want us to put it behind us. Easier said than done though. My nieces news has helped lift the gloom though.

Was seeing a girl last year and fell in love but for several reasons it didn't quite work out. Was a hard time dealing with that but re-kindled late in April and now officially going out with plans to maybe move in together in the next few months. She's also met my daughter and I've met her kids and we all get along brilliantly. Sadly, that re-kindling coincided with her being diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma.

It's a time of excitement for what the future holds for us both together, but hard to see past that dark cloud of uncertainty hanging over us at the same time. She had her biopsy last week after delayed appointments and is back at the hospital on Monday to see exactly where she's at and what treatment they want to go ahead with. 

Mixed emotions for sure.

1 minute ago, Locky said:

Was seeing a girl last year and fell in love but for several reasons it didn't quite work out. Was a hard time dealing with that but re-kindled late in April and now officially going out with plans to maybe move in together in the next few months. She's also met my daughter and I've met her kids and we all get along brilliantly. Sadly, that re-kindling coincided with her being diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma.

It's a time of excitement for what the future holds for us both together, but hard to see past that dark cloud of uncertainty hanging over us at the same time. She had her biopsy last week after delayed appointments and is back at the hospital on Monday to see exactly where she's at and what treatment they want to go ahead with. 

Mixed emotions for sure.

Aw mate, that’s really shit.

Hope you all get good news on Monday.

everything crossed 🤞🏻 

8 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Aw mate, that’s really shit.

Hope you all get good news on Monday.

everything crossed 🤞🏻 

Cheers mate. She's otherwise young and healthy so I keep optimistic. Whether that's blind faith time will only tell, but praying for brighter days ahead.

il Duce McTarkin
20 minutes ago, Locky said:

Mixed emotions for sure.

Best of luck to all of you, Locky. 

1 hour ago, iantjambo said:

My condolences and best wishes to you. 
You will always remember your father as we all do when they pass. You will also enjoy the new life. ❤️👍

24 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Ok fair enough. Life tough but life can also be beautiful, ups and down swings and roundabouts eh 

That’s the whole point of the thread 🙄

rudi must stay
5 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

That’s the whole point of the thread 🙄

Ah well you've cheered me up I'm transfering 1000 megapoints your way 

17 minutes ago, Imaman said:

My condolences and best wishes to you. 
You will always remember your father as we all do when they pass. You will also enjoy the new life. ❤️👍

Cheers mate.

Just so we’re clear, since one poster seems determined to derail the thread.

This thread isn’t about getting sympathy over my dads death, nor congratulations over my niece giving birth.

It’s about how emotions can be affected from negative to positive (or vice versa) in the space of a week.

2 hours ago, iantjambo said:

In a way that's beautiful.

Same happened with my partner.

She gave birth the same week her Father died.

We I suppose all live on after death through our bairns and grand bairns.

Sorry if the beautiful remark seems off its meant in the way I described about living on.

9 minutes ago, Ked said:

In a way that's beautiful.

Same happened with my partner.

She gave birth the same week her Father died.

We I suppose all live on after death through our bairns and grand bairns.

Sorry if the beautiful remark seems off its meant in the way I described about living on.

No need to apologise bud. You’ve absolutely nailed the point of the thread.

I hope you're ok, Ian. 

My Dad died a few weeks before my son was born and My Mum died a few weeks after my son's daughter was born, on said son's birthday. They say that one moves on for another one to be born. It doesn't make it any easier, by I do believe that and helped me move on. 

I don't believe in God or all the afterlife stuff, but sometimes hope I'm wrong and I might get to see everyone again. 😢

Pets are the best medicine for grief, they ready you for death,(When they pass)when you are young and they help you heal when you are going thro hell. Imo of course. 

Anyway, look after yourselves folks. Life is a gift and we don't realise it until it's too late, sometimes.

JudyJudyJudy
21 hours ago, iantjambo said:

My condolences.

My dad died when I was quite young . In that same year my sister had her baby .It really lifted the family mood .

It’s the circle of life . 

Me and my siblings held my mums hand when she passed on .   

There is a real void when you lose both parents I feel . Life is never the same again . But you go on . 

Finally plucked up the courage to go to an AA meeting on Wednesday and committed to myself and my family that at the age of 38, I'm giving up alcohol. That was 'odd' for want of a better word to hear you say the words 'i'm an alcoholic' out loud to a room of strangers. My girlfriend broke up with me a few weeks ago and is moving out which has totally devastated me. But the AA meeting showed me that I can only worry about the things I can control, such as getting better. What else will be in the future, will be. That's cheered me up a little, or at least made me a little less miserable. Also knowing that i'm finally doing the right thing is a good feeling. 

All that seems almost embarrassingly insignificant compared to what some of you lot have gone through above though. 

JudyJudyJudy
29 minutes ago, trotter said:

Finally plucked up the courage to go to an AA meeting on Wednesday and committed to myself and my family that at the age of 38, I'm giving up alcohol. That was 'odd' for want of a better word to hear you say the words 'i'm an alcoholic' out loud to a room of strangers. My girlfriend broke up with me a few weeks ago and is moving out which has totally devastated me. But the AA meeting showed me that I can only worry about the things I can control, such as getting better. What else will be in the future, will be. That's cheered me up a little, or at least made me a little less miserable. Also knowing that i'm finally doing the right thing is a good feeling. 

All that seems almost embarrassingly insignificant compared to what some of you lot have gone through above though. 

Good luck with the alcohol issue . One day at a time . 

On 24/06/2022 at 17:00, iantjambo said:

Sorry to hear about your loss but great news about the wee girl Make sure she's a Jambo

Life is a roller coaster of emotions Embrace the good times when they bless us

Hope your feeling a bit better now

On 24/06/2022 at 18:55, iantjambo said:

This thread isn’t about getting sympathy over my dads death, nor congratulations over my niece giving birth.

It’s about how emotions can be affected from negative to positive (or vice versa) in the space of a week.

Don't even give him the time of day. 

Malinga the Swinga
On 24/06/2022 at 17:30, Locky said:

Mixed emotions for sure.

Hope you get the news you deserve Locky. Keep your chin up regardless.

On 24/06/2022 at 17:30, Locky said:

Mixed emotions for sure.

Just seen this due to an earlier quote.

All the best big man. Here if you need a rant

Weakened Offender
2 hours ago, trotter said:

Good luck with your next few steps forward pal. 

Nookie Bear
3 hours ago, trotter said:

Nothing insignificant about taking steps to save your own life. 

Nothing embarrassing about being honest about your issues.

All the best with your recovery 

Edited by Jeff

1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Hope you get the news you deserve Locky. Keep your chin up regardless.

1 hour ago, Jeff said:

Just seen this due to an earlier quote.

All the best big man. Here if you need a rant

Cheers guys. Always look on the bright side!

All I can say mate is you've got a good head on you to seek that help going through a break-up. Sure we've all been there after a break-up where we go off the rails a bit and alcohol takes over. It's never the answer.

Good luck to you Trotter. Sounds like you've got a good support system in place.

1 minute ago, Jeff said:

Fancy a D4nny gig to take your mind off things?

Can't think of a better way to say goodbye to all the haters in my life.

il Duce McTarkin
6 hours ago, trotter said:

Best of luck going forward, bud. 👍

8 hours ago, trotter said:

Don't ever feel embarrassed or intimidated by what people think. Concentrate on what is best for you and get yourself healthy. As Fletch used to say"Don't let the *******s grind you down" 

All the best to you bud, the first step is often the most difficult and now you should be able to gather support from those that know what you are going thro and will help you in the most difficult times. 👍

Edited by ri Alban

Appreciate the support guys. Wasn't a 'woe is me/sympathy' post. Especially considering some of the other stories, but I think a worthy contender for a mixed emotion week or two!!

One day at a time. 

19 hours ago, trotter said:

All the best with your battle mate.

Just posted the full version of events in the NHS thread, but after my post on Friday, I feel stupid now, as today my girlfriend was given the results of her biopsy, only to be told they got it wrong. Apparently a typo in her report from a previous consultant led to misdiagnosis, and this consultant she saw today is 100% certain she doesn't have cancer at all!

What a rollercoaster I must say, and one with an outcome that I don't think any of us expected. She's still got other things healthwise to work through, but to be given an all clear on that front has overwhelmed us somewhat. The biggest thing though, is we can finally start to maybe plan for the future without this cloud of uncertainty hanging over us.

Thanks once again to the good people of Kickback on here for your kind words.

10 minutes ago, Locky said:

Just posted the full version of events in the NHS thread, but after my post on Friday, I feel stupid now, as today my girlfriend was given the results of her biopsy, only to be told they got it wrong. Apparently a typo in her report from a previous consultant led to misdiagnosis, and this consultant she saw today is 100% certain she doesn't have cancer at all!

What a rollercoaster I must say, and one with an outcome that I don't think any of us expected. She's still got other things healthwise to work through, but to be given an all clear on that front has overwhelmed us somewhat. The biggest thing though, is we can finally start to maybe plan for the future without this cloud of uncertainty hanging over us.

I'd be raging but at the same time delighted.

Good to hear it mate

7 minutes ago, Jeff said:

I'd be raging but at the same time delighted.

Good to hear it mate

Very fitting story for this thread I guess man. Only good emotions for me but for her I think anger and confusion is the over riding emotion at present.

I might even go a pint later and let my hair down. :D 

JudyJudyJudy
18 minutes ago, Locky said:

Ffs that is shocking ! Really is . A typo about a cancer diagnosis ? Yes it’s good news but the worry and concern you and she had can’t be taken back . I’d honestly put a complaint in . It’s just not acceptable . 

On 24/06/2022 at 12:00, iantjambo said:

My experiences of mixed emotions covered more than a week, but they have been equally dramatic.

Almost 10 years ago, my beautiful daughter Linsey died.  Although in apparently good health, she dropped to the floor in the middle of a conversation at work, and died a few days later without regaining consciousness. It was sudden cardiac arrest.

There are no words to describe the anguish of my wife and I and Linsey's teenage kids as we all tried to cope with life without her.  The pain never goes away, but it does lessen as the years go by.  You go on with life because you have to, and you do it for each other.

Then, a few months ago, Linsey's oldest daughter gave birth to a son.  His name is Broderick and he's a dead-ringer for Linsey when she was a baby.  Our anguish at Linsey's death has been offset, in part, by the birth of Broderick. He has brought some magic back into our lives.

Linsey might be gone, but she lives on through her smashing wee grandson.

21 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Ffs that is shocking ! Really is . A typo about a cancer diagnosis ? Yes it’s good news but the worry and concern you and she had can’t be taken back . I’d honestly put a complaint in . It’s just not acceptable . 

Yup it's mental! Apparently she's got hyperplastic lymph nodes which is the swelling as a result of an infection, but can be routinely treated with steroids, surgery or observation. Instead, someone wrote that she was suffering from aggressive lymphoma. 2 very different conclusions. 

Her Mum and Dad have been there through it all as we don't live together and she's through Lanarkshire way living with them so they're livid and I believe her Dad is already on at them to take it further. Whatever comes of that remains to be seen, but I'm only focusing on the good news atm.

1 minute ago, Maple Leaf said:

My experiences of mixed emotions covered more than a week, but they have been equally dramatic.

Almost 10 years ago, my beautiful daughter Linsey died.  Although in apparently good health, she dropped to the floor in the middle of a conversation at work, and died a few days later without regaining consciousness. It was sudden cardiac arrest.

There are no words to describe the anguish of my wife and I and Linsey's teenage kids as we all tried to cope with life without her.  The pain never goes away, but it does lessen as the years go by.  You go on with life because you have to, and you do it for each other.

Then, a few months ago, Linsey's oldest daughter gave birth to a son.  His name is Broderick and he's a dead-ringer for Linsey when she was a baby.  Our anguish at Linsey's death has been offset, in part, by the birth of Broderick. He has brought some magic back into our lives.

Beautiful way to look at it Maple. Best wishes to you and the family.

JudyJudyJudy
22 minutes ago, Locky said:

Yup it's mental! Apparently she's got hyperplastic lymph nodes which is the swelling as a result of an infection, but can be routinely treated with steroids, surgery or observation. Instead, someone wrote that she was suffering from aggressive lymphoma. 2 very different conclusions. 

Her Mum and Dad have been there through it all as we don't live together and she's through Lanarkshire way living with them so they're livid and I believe her Dad is already on at them to take it further. Whatever comes of that remains to be seen, but I'm only focusing on the good news atm.

I honestly struggle to understand how this actually happened ? I’d take it further in due course . 

il Duce McTarkin
1 hour ago, Locky said:

All the bollocks aside, Locky, this is a good outcome. 

Wee need more good news stories on a Monday imo.

32 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

There's few things like the birth of a child to ease the pain of a broken heart, Maple.

They can never replace the ones we've lost, but on the passing of dear friends (as happened yesterday), I always console myself with the fact that somewhere a baby is being born. A new life that will fill the world with love and joy for all those around it. 

And so it goes on.

Enjoy your wee one, mate. Peace. ❤

Edited by Dirk McClaymore

On 24/06/2022 at 18:55, iantjambo said:

In light of this, I'll let the obvious be unsaid... I'll just add that, you'll get there.. 

My dad died 3 days after my 18th, even now at 47, birthdays have a slight blackness looming over them (lessens each year as I grow older, you learn to accept certain things in life I think, if you let yourself..)

My situation is compounded by the following.. My birthday; 3 days later anniversary of dads death; 1 day later grandaughters birthday; 14 days later dads birthday; 16 days later brothers birthday.. I'm not saying my situation any worse than anyone elses, just that those few weeks it's very much a rollercoaster. I can hide it and have to a certain degree accepted things now (it'll be 30 years this year, **** me!!) so I can pretty much just be normal (minus a degree or two) these days.. Still raise a glass and celebrate the other stuff. 

I'm not a religious or spiritual person so the phrase "Gone but not Forgotten" (maybe still ramped up a bit, as per the slight blackness mentioned) has become very relevant to me... 

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/06/2022 at 14:01, Locky said:

Quite the update only 2 weeks later, but Lady Locky and myself are in a great place. She's been offered a house through here that we'll be moving into in September, and we had it confirmed today that she is carrying Little Locky v2. All happened very suddenly and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't in a state of shock but what a turnaround. 

Stick in there folks. Life has mysterious ways of working, but there's always good ahead.

1 minute ago, Locky said:

Quite the update only 2 weeks later, but Lady Locky and myself are in a great place. She's been offered a house through here that we'll be moving into in September, and we had it confirmed today that she is carrying Little Locky v2. All happened very suddenly and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't in a state of shock but what a turnaround. 

Stick in there folks. Life has mysterious ways of working, but there's always good ahead.

Ah, great news, I'm chuffed for you both👍