Robbo interview

The Goalscoring Knee

The Goalscoring Knee

Another engaging, if chunky, piece for a breakfast read. Times today. (sorry,can't change the formatting)

Before John Robertson put the final full stop on his autobiography he phoned his brothers and sisters to check they were okay with him saying what he intended to commit to print. To suggest the book lands a couple of powerful early hits is putting it mildly. Some of the content is so deeply personal he thought it essential to have the family’s approval before sharing it with the rest of us.

Take the passage about his parents losing a son to stillbirth in 1962. Had that baby boy survived it is likely the Robertsons — with five kids already — would not then have had John and his wee sister Heather. And take the unbearably moving section in which Robertson recalls the time “my world collapsed”. It was 1978, he was 14, and not only did the family’s kindness spare him from the knowledge his father was gravely ill with cancer, they initially shielded him from the fact he had passed away overnight.

Robertson was woken in the morning and quickly ushered out of the house to play two games in one day, pausing only momentarily to lift a light cover off his dad’s face and kiss him before hurtling out the door. The cover was there to stop the sun getting in dad’s eyes while he slept, Robertson was told, and he was in too much of a rush to question it. Overnighters were hastily arranged at a friend’s house before he eventually returned home to a front room of grieving relatives. Instead of excitedly telling dad about his latest batch of goals, as he intended, his big brother Chris led him upstairs to finally break the news.

All of this in the first 50 pages. “The start of the book is quite powerful and quite sad,” says Robertson. “I did contact all my brothers and sisters to say ‘should I put this in’. They said ‘of course, you have to, that was the truth’. Mum lost a boy in stillbirth and had that boy been born the likelihood is that me and my wee sister wouldn’t be here. So I had to put it in. I’m not a great believer in fate but you could certainly point to that and say it was fate that your mum lost that boy but had you and your wee sister. Mum was always of the opinion that we were destined to do something with our lives. My thing was to score goals.”

Robbo: My Autobiography, The Game’s Not Over Till The Fat Striker Scores, released in paperback this month, faithfully catalogues Robertson’s tidal waves of goalscoring from the Edinburgh schools and boys club days through to the 271 for Hearts and three in 16 caps for Scotland. He was determined to pen it himself — “I like to think I am relatively intelligent” he says, putting a heavy emphasis on the relatively — rather than have the message diluted by a ghostwriter. For the early stuff he mined scrapbooks his dad made for big brother Chris, himself a striker for Rangers and Hearts, and then him.

It was years in the making. Writing began when he was head of coach education at Hearts and then paused in 2017 when he started a second spell as manager of Caledonian Thistle.

He had gotten as far as the anguish of Hearts’ 1985-86 season — final day, Dens Park, all of that — but putting it on hold at that point was coincidental and down to the demands of management. “When I stopped I thought maybe it’s fate and I’m not supposed to write this book after all. So it was on the back burner for three, three-and-a-half years before lockdown came along.”

After just three days of Covid-era grass-cutting, car-washing and dog-walking his wife had a word. “Sally said ‘you need something to occupy your brain’.”

He began again and ploughed through to, well, what? He ends the story when his Hearts playing career closed in 1998. There is nothing about the tail end of his playing days at Livingston, where two or three times he drove to training only to realise he had zoned out and the mental autopilot had followed his familiar route to park outside Tynecastle.

“Suddenly I’m in the car park thinking ‘what am I doing here?’ The brain had switched off, it was used to going to Tynecastle for 17 years so it was taking me back there.” There is nothing about his near 20 years in management including the turbulence of serving under Vladimir Romanov. And nor is there anything on the harrowing episode last year which had Robertson’s family, friends and supporters worried sick for him as he publicly admitted to mental health issues and had to take compassionate leave to disappear for a while.

“Robbo” is popular and engaging, a well-kent face, all of which underlined it as one of Scottish football’s most concerning stories of the year. Running a football team in lockdown got on top of him. Players had pregnant partners they could not see, or else they were holed up and literally seeing no-one outwith training, everything had to be washed down every day, the training ground had to be Covid-secure, his squad — including five 18-year-olds — were told they would have to drive to away games individually, a fleet of 25 cars going up and down the A9. Robertson worried about his players, his staff, members of his own family he was unable to visit in Edinburgh including four siblings with cancer issues, and his wife Sally. And then suddenly he was blindsided by the unexpected death of his older sister Moira.

“I’d got to the stage where I wasn’t sleeping at night. I was maybe sleeping an hour, an hour and a half. I was getting irritable. I was getting grumpy, snapping at things I shouldn’t really have been snapping at. Everybody could see the change. Sally was really, really worried because she knew I wasn’t sleeping. She knew I wasn’t getting any rest and it was just building up and building up and when Moira died that was it, that was the straw that broke the camel’s back. It was time to step back.

“I spoke to my sister the day before. Moira had had cancer but she had been in remission and things had been all right. She had had couple of headaches but she was in a great place, it was fine, she was going in to get her first check-up, she was looking forward to it since lockdown, and within 24 hours she was dead. The cancer had spread to her brain. I was ‘wow’. That was it. It was burnout, struggling because everything was coming on top. I just had to take time away. It was as simple and straightforward as that.”

Caley Thistle were great with him and chief executive Scot Gardiner said he must take all the time he needed. The professional advice was to switch off entirely. “First things first: give your phone to your wife. Turn your phone off. They gave me a completely different number so only they could speak to me. Nobody else could speak to me. I wasn’t allowed to watch football on TV. No football whatsoever for three months.

“I was in such a dark place that the initial ‘don’t watch football at all’ was like a relief. It was great. I didn’t have to worry about it. It was a total cut off. Don’t think about it, don’t look at it, don’t watch it, just try to get away from it altogether. I didn’t miss it at all. It was a shock to go cold turkey and then after two or three weeks I kinda did miss it. But at no stage did I think I wouldn’t be involved in football again. I just knew that I had to get better, I had to get well, and I had to just walk away and recharge and refresh the batteries.”

He was granted compassionate leave as manager in February of last year and returned in a new role as sporting director almost three months later. Coming back as manager to prepare for a new season was considered but ruled out. “We talked to the psychologists and the people I was speaking to and they thought it would be a bit tight so the board said why didn’t I have look at the director of football role. And it’s been great. It’s allowed me to take a step back and look at a lot of things from different perspectives.” Had the break helped? “Of course it did. You get back into it, you fall back in love with the game very easily. It’s a passion which is never going to leave me.

“Sally used to crack up that if we lost on a Saturday that was our weekend ruined because I would be in a bad mood. I would think I was okay and think I was in a good mood but when I think back and reflect on it I was pissed off and upset and thinking about the next game and how I would prepare for that on the Monday. It’s nice now. You can sleep easy, on a Thursday and Friday night you’re not worrying about whether you’ve picked the right team or prepared the players properly. And you don’t have to worry too much about the results, although I still do.

“Would I go back into management one day? Yeah. I would never say no. But somebody has to say that they want you. There has to be a club out there that says they want John Robertson as football manager. Inverness want me as sporting director and as long as that’s the case that’s what I’ll do, to my very, very best.” He feared the book would be too long and — wrongly — that it might bore people if it was his entire life story. Nothing is planned but one day there might be a follow-up covering the rest.

When he says he’s in a “good place” now he means it mentally and literally. This Christmas Eve it will be 20 years since he moved north and began to regard the Highlands as home. He and Sally walk the dogs around their remote farmhouse a few miles out of Inverness. He loves the golf and the fact he can hop in the car and be at Loch Ness, or the Black Isle, or Nairn golf course, or Aviemore ski centre in no time. He loves the way of life.

“I don’t ever see myself moving back to Edinburgh. I don’t need to worry about anything. Inverness is still a small city. You are not under scrutiny, not that anyone is bothered about on old codger like me now but you can walk down the centre of the town and nobody bothers their backside. When you are out or with friends for a meal or a drink you aren’t interrupted by people wanting autographs or photographs. Inverness people are very quiet and respectful. Really, really friendly. You come back to Edinburgh and it’s hugely busy and the demands are there even at my age [57]. Although it is really nice in one way that they still want autographs and photographs and you try to be as polite and courteous as possible which I feel I have been all my career.

“The Highlands is one of the best places in Scotland and possibly the UK to just relax. It’s stunning. You’ve got Munros and lochs and beaches. It’s just a wonderful part of the world and it’s certainly helped in my rehabilitation, there’s absolutely no doubt about that.”

Wait a second. What about the “fat striker” stuff in the book title? Surely that needs to change if he’s doing all this golf and Munros? “When I say there are Munros to climb that doesn’t necessarily mean I’m climbing them.”

•Robbo: My Autobiography, The Game’s Not Over till the Fat Striker Scores by John Robertson, Black & White Publishing, available now in paperback, £9.99

Bazzas right boot
16 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Going on holiday next week I’ll be getting that who is stocking it 

I done that my last holiday, I finished it on the plane going there. 

😭

Looking forward to reading this.

Sometimes you forget that your heroes are human like the rest of us.

Glad he got the help that he needed and should be a reminder to anyone that needs help to ask and not bottle it up.

SectionDJambo

I grew up with my dad telling me stories about the Terrible Trio and Dave Mackay, his hero. During the 60s and 70s, although we had our heroes, it was tough thinking that my generation had missed out on seeing truly exceptional Hearts players. 

Then, the young boy John Robertson came along. From the start of him playing regularly for Hearts he was special.  The derby of September 1983 is unforgettable for those of us lucky enough to have been there. The start of a long domination of Hibs, and John destroying them.

I feel very lucky to have seen John play for Hearts, and to have met him a couple of times. One of the 2 Hearts players I've seen score a hat trick at Hampden, although his was against Queens Park 😉

A true legend of our club.

I cannot think of many rival fans ,even Hibbees who do not respect the wee man. This is a testimony of the character of the guy, will always be up there with Bauld ,Wardhaugh, ect as a true Hearts legend.

Read it on Kindle last month - felt a wee bit rushed as there wasn't enough detail in some of the chapters, but a good read that brought back so many happy memories.

John Findlay
2 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

Going on holiday next week I’ll be getting that who is stocking it 

Ray come to the station and you can borrow my hardback copy for your holiday. DM your address and I will pop it round.

4 hours ago, The Goalscoring Knee said:

Wait a second. What about the “fat striker” stuff in the book title? Surely that needs to change if he’s doing all this golf and Munros? “When I say there are Munros to climb that doesn’t necessarily mean I’m climbing them.”

:lol:

Freaky Dancer

I found it quite emotional to read at Xmas time as my Dad had just passed away😢 Also gutted he never got to read the wee man's story.

I did however have the pleasure of meeting him last Saturday at a book signing down from the Playhouse. Not another sole waiting to see him at the time so got a grand blether for 30 mins with my boyhood hero! :robbo:

If i didn't have my wife with me I would have stayed for longer!! 🤣

Edited by Freaky Dancer
Spelling!! :)

hmfc_liam06
2 hours ago, briever said:

Read it on Kindle last month - felt a wee bit rushed as there wasn't enough detail in some of the chapters, but a good read that brought back so many happy memories.

Little bit disappointed it doesn't cover his managerial career tbh. Some of the early stuff with Vlad would have been good to read.

Going to get this for flying to Berlin next month. That's if I can hold off reading it that long once I've bought it.

Robbo was, is and always will be God to me. If I ever met him I'd probably faint and I'm nearly 49 yo.

The Wrinkly Ninja
8 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Robbo was, is and always will be God to me. If I ever met him I'd probably faint and I'm nearly 49 yo.

This

This club has had some truly iconic players and not everybody has been lucky enough to have seen or been around for every kick. People our age were truly blessed when he came along.

Without being morbid I really hope the club considers a lasting memorial or tribute to him while he is still with us.

Smoked-Glass
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

He's been in robos bar a few times. Saw him but didn't speak. Should have done 

Fxxx the SPFL
7 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Ray come to the station and you can borrow my hardback copy for your holiday. DM your address and I will pop it round.

Cheers for the offer John laddie appeared with the paperback bit lighter in the case lol 

John Findlay
45 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Cheers for the offer John laddie appeared with the paperback bit lighter in the case lol 

👍I'm sure you will enjoy.

It’s a very good read! Forget his penalty box instincts the guys memory is bloody impressive! Hence his nickname I guess 

he’s a wonderful human being John Robertson and a true Hearts Legend! I was born 1980 and nobody not even Skacel has came remotely close to this man. 

And that article above….His sense of humour has clearly never left him despite a tough few years!

I Love the man! 

No Idle Talk

As someone who struggles with mental health issues, it actually breaks my heart to know that my hero has lived through some of the same struggles.

But the fact that he was able to be the legend he was/is, in spite of all of those struggles, just makes me respect Robbo even more.

If you are reading, John, I love you. You are an absolute hero to me. I hope you are in a happy place right now. 

Rocky jamboa

Will defo read this. At 47, robbo is my all time favourite Hearts player, just beating Rudi. I'm sure other jambos my age will be the same. 

Strange he had left out the Vladimir years. I'm sure there will be a few interesting stories in there! Maybe additional chapters to be added in future! 

Where is the best place to buy this so Robbo gains most of the cash? 

Freaky Dancer
5 hours ago, Rocky jamboa said:

Will defo read this. At 47, robbo is my all time favourite Hearts player, just beating Rudi. I'm sure other jambos my age will be the same. 

Strange he had left out the Vladimir years. I'm sure there will be a few interesting stories in there! Maybe additional chapters to be added in future! 

Where is the best place to buy this so Robbo gains most of the cash? 

There should still be some signed copies in Topping & Company Bookshop on Blenheim Place. He was sitting signing loads of them last Saturday.

Rocky jamboa
1 hour ago, Freaky Dancer said:

There should still be some signed copies in Topping & Company Bookshop on Blenheim Place. He was sitting signing loads of them last Saturday.

Cheers. Will try there.

No Idle Talk

Quite probably my favourite video on Youtube.

The way people talk about the wee man just confirms everything I think about him. My favourite part was what John Colquhoun said. I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't watched it yet.