Should Hearts sign Lawrence Shankland?

XXX

Want him or not despite a possible hefty fee?  

532 members have voted

1. 1. POLL

i wish jj was my dad
20 hours ago, tian447 said:

This is where I'm at. I don't want us to go out of our way and pay over the odds for him, but if we end up with him for a reasonable price, then fair enough. 

I still don't think he's that great, and think we'll need to sign someone better than him as well.  If we could get Simms and Shankland, I think they could work really well together. 

Shankland is never, ever, ever a £1 Million player though, and Beerschot have obviously realised they've been had. We cannot, and should not, pay for any of their mistake. 

This is where I am at. He would not play every week. I'd rather have Boyce supporting Simms or a similar striker but ther are games where I would love to see Shankland start and what an option to have on the bench. 

On 24/06/2022 at 11:13, Mr Elwood P said:

Another Liam Boyce denier ...

I like Liam Boyce, very skilful, good link up play etc,  but if you think 10 goals in the Premier League this season is a good return for our main striker….?? To be fair to him he seemed to be struggling fitness wise the last 2/3 months of the season, but he also seemed short on confidence, perhaps due to carrying an injury. Hopefully with someone to lead the front line we might see him back at his best.

Mr Elwood P
4 minutes ago, Holtie said:

I like Liam Boyce, very skilful, good link up play etc,  but if you think 10 goals in the Premier League this season is a good return for our main striker….?? To be fair to him he seemed to be struggling fitness wise the last 2/3 months of the season, but he also seemed short on confidence, perhaps due to carrying an injury. Hopefully with someone to lead the front line we might see him back at his best.

Considering the top scorer in the league finished on 13 I would say 10 is actually pretty good. He'd have probably finished top if he wasn't jinxed with all the 20 goals patter around January...

Nessjambo67

I put yes purely because I think Boyces form since Jan has dipped and I can’t see simms returning to us again .  I know he has been playing that bit deeper recently but I don’t know to many chances went begging . Think someone like shankland can only motivate Boyce to improve. 

24 minutes ago, Holtie said:

Yeah, I think Boyce is probably going to need his game time managed to get the best out of him. On his game he's brilliant, but I think he was forced to carry too much of the load last season. Shankland and/or Simms in and we can we rest him when he needs it. 

rudi must stay

Way I see it Boyce 20 goals Shankland 10 (per season in the SPL) wouldn't bother with him 

Hackney Hearts
25 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Way I see it Boyce 20 goals Shankland 10 (per season in the SPL) wouldn't bother with him 

Boyce 20 goals a season in the SPL? Not last season he didn't. 7 league goals from open play I think.

Shankland got 8 in a very poor Utd side, which created very few chances.

rudi must stay
6 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

Boyce 20 goals a season in the SPL? Not last season he didn't. 7 league goals from open play I think.

Shankland got 8 in a very poor Utd side, which created very few chances.

Ah you raise interesting points 

No Idle Talk

I'm really not sure on this one. I have a lot of faith in Joe Savage though, so if he decides Shankland is the man for the job then I will go with it.

On 23/06/2022 at 22:29, Uncle Buck said:

I think he’d score for fun at Hearts.

You would like to think so but managers tactics worries me

32 minutes ago, jamborich said:

:cornette:

Maybe its time you find another club as you refuse to back the manager and keep droning on about it on here.

if Hearts don't get the forward areas sorted out i.e. getting more goals in the team, progress will stall. This is one area you need to speculate in to accumulate else you are just farting again thunder. 

6 hours ago, jamborich said:

How? Neilson has got the best out of him before.

Bazzas right boot
9 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

I'm really not sure on this one. I have a lot of faith in Joe Savage though, so if he decides Shankland is the man for the job then I will go with it.

Bob will make the final call, not Savage. 

Any signing we make is, Bobs. 

Savage confirmed this,Bob has the final say and signs the players. 

If not then we need Boyce to get over the rotten spell of form he had from mid December until the end of last season - and his body language to improve, as he looked shall we say not that chuffed when Simms got the head striker role. Sometimes giving the impression that he couldnt be 4rsed. 

Central Belt 1874

7 hours ago, Riccarton3 said:

if Hearts don't get the forward areas sorted out i.e. getting more goals in the team, progress will stall. This is one area you need to speculate in to accumulate else you are just farting again thunder. 

If we have Simms and Boyce again for the coming season, then we absolutely need another striker of similar quality to change things up through the season. Shankland may be a good fit with those two. 

No Simms next season, I'm not so sure about Shankland. Depends who else we go for, but you are right about the forward areas. This is the key area for improving on this season.

No Idle Talk
10 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Shankland likely would be a purely Neilson signing right enough. Given that he has worked with the player before. 

On 24/06/2022 at 11:13, Mr Elwood P said:

Another Liam Boyce denier ...

Liam Boyce does himself absolutely no ****ing favours by being unable to cleanly strike a ball.  He often mishits it and it trundles wide, and he has done it multiple times this season alone.  Even in the cup semi final, he was clean through on goal, and effectively fresh air swiped it past the post, instead of putting his laces through it and powering it past the keeper. 

He seems to just lazily try and place some of his shots and it hardly ever works.  Everything about him screams too much time to think about it, he takes his time for far too long, and then makes the wrong decision. There have been plenty of instances this season where a quick ball out to another player would have sent them through or been able to set someone else away, and instead he ****ed around and held on to it until he lost possession.

Boyce is a decent enough SPFL footballer, but persevering with him is just wasting goal scoring opportunities. 

22 hours ago, Central Belt 1874 said:

If we have Simms and Boyce again for the coming season, then we absolutely need another striker of similar quality to change things up through the season. Shankland may be a good fit with those two. 

No Simms next season, I'm not so sure about Shankland. Depends who else we go for, but you are right about the forward areas. This is the key area for improving on this season.

You’re right. Shankland isn’t as good as Simms. If we sign Shankland we absolutely must have another striker of equal quality to share the load. Same thing really if we sign Simms but not Shankland except the second striker to Simms wouldn’t need to be a high end finished article

Shankland AND Simms would be every ones dream team I’d have thought.

On 26/06/2022 at 10:41, Bazzas right boot said:

That’s not what actually happens though. Surely your not buying that ?

The recruitment process has been explained several times . ‘Bob’ outlines what he wants. Savage and his boys do the hard yards. ‘Bob’ is part of the Yes/No process. Not one player at the club right now is the sole work and credited only to RN. He’s not the only cog in the wheel.

Mr Elwood P
35 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Liam Boyce does himself absolutely no ****ing favours by being unable to cleanly strike a ball.  He often mishits it and it trundles wide, and he has done it multiple times this season alone.  Even in the cup semi final, he was clean through on goal, and effectively fresh air swiped it past the post, instead of putting his laces through it and powering it past the keeper. 

He seems to just lazily try and place some of his shots and it hardly ever works.  Everything about him screams too much time to think about it, he takes his time for far too long, and then makes the wrong decision. There have been plenty of instances this season where a quick ball out to another player would have sent them through or been able to set someone else away, and instead he ****ed around and held on to it until he lost possession.

Boyce is a decent enough SPFL footballer, but persevering with him is just wasting goal scoring opportunities. 

Unbelievable nonsense. 

32 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Unbelievable nonsense. 

It's really not though, it happens just about every single game.  You can see it for yourself in highlights or if you actually watch him closely during a match.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

That’s not what actually happens though. Surely your not buying that ?

The recruitment process has been explained several times . ‘Bob’ outlines what he wants. Savage and his boys do the hard yards. ‘Bob’ is part of the Yes/No process. Not one player at the club right now is the sole work and credited only to RN. He’s not the only cog in the wheel.

First part is obvious and correct, however Bob has also confirmed in the past he's tracked guys like Mckay and Forrest for a while. 

Shankland if he signs, will also be a Bob signing. 

Savages contacts have widened our net and Our scout on Oz clearly has a lot of influence. 

There is no way that Bob  gets signings forced on him, Savage also confirmed Bob has the final say in transfers. 

If you don't believe that, then fair enough. 

Edited by Bazzas right boot

3 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Savage confirmed that Bob has the final say. 

Savage also excludes and includes players on his own before Robbie even gets to hear about them , as does Lancefield no doubt. If they are presenting RN with a properly scouted and affordable option and willing to come to the club player  of the type he has asked for, that’s merely a rubber stamp job. In that way I suppose he has the final say of sorts but he’s never going to reject a player found in that way is he. It’s simply not his job to find them or sign them. 

Rudi5kaceldream1ng

Yes. 

We need a blend of good experienced Scottish players, youth academy talent and foreign market gems. 

That recipe has always worked well for hearts and has won things. 

As well as this team has done so far it's won **** all so the proof will be in the pudding how savages signing strategy Pans out. 

Im unconvinced so far this window. 

Edited by Rudi5kaceldream1ng

iwasthere1954
1 hour ago, tian447 said:

I remember a Gary Lineker interview years ago when he was still playing. The interviewer asked what his strike rate was and he confirmed probably one goal every three shots. He was a class striker and if Boyce scored every four or five shots I would think that was a good rate. Watch football on tv and you see top class strikers missing sitters every week.

The Grim Reaper
20 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

First part is obvious and correct, however Bob has also confirmed in the past he's tracked guys like Mckay and Forrest for a while. 

Shankland if he signs, will also be a Bob signing. 

Savages contacts have widened our net and Our scout on Oz clearly has a lot of influence. 

There is no way that Bob  gets signings forced on him, Savage also confirmed Bob has the final say in transfers. 

If you don't believe that, then fair enough. 

Bob has 100% won the lottery having Savage at the club. 

22 minutes ago, Rudi5kaceldream1ng said:

Yes. 

We need a blend of good experienced Scottish players, youth academy talent and foreign market gems. 

That recipe has always worked well for hearts and has won things. 

As well as this team has done so far it's won **** all so the proof will be in the pudding how savages signing strategy Pans out. 

Im unconvinced so far this window. 

How many Hearts team in your lifetime have ‘won’ something ? Probably it’s 3 and 2 of those teams were better than this team by a distance. We’ve also had a team in 86 who were better than this one and they also won **** all.

This Hearts team, in season 1, ‘won’ millions of pounds for the club. (Plus embryo versions if it have been in 3 recent cup finals, narrowly losing all 3 unfortunately to the OF unfortunately). Probably more money won by this team than any Hearts team ever. If your all about trophies to judge a team, Hearts probably isn’t for you

Edited by JimmyCant

RustyRightPeg

In my eyes if the deal was in any sort of jeopardy we’d have heard about it by now. 

In addition, if he wasn’t getting his way, he’d have handed a transfer request in to force it through. 

Slow burner, but confident this’ll happen. 

FWIW, if we don’t cough up, wouldn’t be surprised to see Aberdeen try and get him back. They seem to be hovering about our targets this year. 

Back to 2005
6 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

In my eyes if the deal was in any sort of jeopardy we’d have heard about it by now. 

In addition, if he wasn’t getting his way, he’d have handed a transfer request in to force it through. 

Slow burner, but confident this’ll happen. 

FWIW, if we don’t cough up, wouldn’t be surprised to see Aberdeen try and get him back. They seem to be hovering about our targets this year. 

There was a time when Aberdeen could pay higher wages than us but that shouldn’t be a issue now. 

RustyRightPeg
13 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

There was a time when Aberdeen could pay higher wages than us but that shouldn’t be a issue now. 

I don’t doubt it wouldn’t be an issue but similar to Ronan, if Aberdeen want to pay over the odds for him transfer fee wise than let them spunk their money. 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Savage also excludes and includes players on his own before Robbie even gets to hear about them , as does Lancefield no doubt. If they are presenting RN with a properly scouted and affordable option and willing to come to the club player  of the type he has asked for, that’s merely a rubber stamp job. In that way I suppose he has the final say of sorts but he’s never going to reject a player found in that way is he. It’s simply not his job to find them or sign them. 

Bob tells Savage what he wants, Savage then gives him options. 

Bob then decides. 

Clearly with the McKay and Forrest signings along with the Shankland interest Bob also identifies players for Savage to go and chase. 

Savage is not deciding who we sign, Bob is. 

Every signing, good or Bad is on Bobs head. 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

How many Hearts team in your lifetime have ‘won’ something ? Probably it’s 3 and 2 of those teams were better than this team by a distance. We’ve also had a team in 86 who were better than this one and they also won **** all.

This Hearts team, in season 1, ‘won’ millions of pounds for the club. (Plus embryo versions if it have been in 3 recent cup finals, narrowly losing all 3 unfortunately to the OF unfortunately). Probably more money won by this team than any Hearts team ever. If your all about trophies to judge a team, Hearts probably isn’t for you

Good points. 

We've won 3 trophies in 50 + years. 

The MacDonald team with Jc, CL, Robbo, Berry, Smith, Mackay to name a few was a very good team and Doddie was a brilliant manager. 

We won nothing tho. 

2 hours ago, iwasthere1954 said:

I remember a Gary Lineker interview years ago when he was still playing. The interviewer asked what his strike rate was and he confirmed probably one goal every three shots. He was a class striker and if Boyce scored every four or five shots I would think that was a good rate. Watch football on tv and you see top class strikers missing sitters every week.

Aye. But how many of them are capable of clearing the ball off the oppositions goal line with no one to beat😉😂

Only ever seen Boycie pull that one off. 

That thing you do
7 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

You’re right. Shankland isn’t as good as Simms. If we sign Shankland we absolutely must have another striker of equal quality to share the load. Same thing really if we sign Simms but not Shankland except the second striker to Simms wouldn’t need to be a high end finished article

Shankland AND Simms would be every ones dream team I’d have thought.

Shankland is a bit better than some are making out. Beerschot were/are a club in crisis having been relegated but despite playing for the bottom team and being rotated a fair bit he still got goals. To do that in the Beligian A league is harder than the SPL given the quality of sides like Brugge/Mechelen/etc.

He suffered under Micky Mellon because of the style of football United were playing. Hes proven at Beerschot hes more than capable of scoring against quality teams. Easy yes to signing him.

iwasthere1954
4 hours ago, Canscot said:

Aye. But how many of them are capable of clearing the ball off the oppositions goal line with no one to beat😉😂

Only ever seen Boycie pull that one off. 

Sorry disagree with that. I've seen much better players than Boyce do the same. Got to admit though it's the first Hearts player I've seen carrying out that move.

1 hour ago, iwasthere1954 said:

Sorry disagree with that. I've seen much better players than Boyce do the same. Got to admit though it's the first Hearts player I've seen carrying out that move.

I won’t argue your right to disagree. 😉

But. I was gobsmacked when it happened🤭

Watt-Zeefuik

Tactically it would probably be a mess but I love the idea of running out a 3-4-3 with Boyce, Simms, and Shankland across the front. The first time I saw a 3-4-3 I loved it was Costa Rica's epic 2014 team that won a group with England, Italy, and Urugay in it and were pens against the Dutch away from making the semis. Joel Campbell was an out and out striker whose job in that system was nonetheless to come back and collect the ball like a #10, much the way Boycie does, and fed off the wing backs to get service to the other strikers.

We couldn't run it out all that often, but as a lark when we needed some goals against a sitting team, it would be loads of fun.

Rudi5kaceldream1ng
On 27/06/2022 at 13:44, JimmyCant said:

In case you hadn't noticed hearts have been in 3 Scottish Cup finals in recent seasons....that means hearts aren't far way from winning something. 

Yes I've seen hearts win things? That's a good thing. Winning is a good thing. Get that in your head pal. Your mentality of it's fine not to win things reeks of hibs tbh. 

And yes there have been better hearts sides not denying that, however we're on the cusp of winning another cup we just need to make the necessary additions now. 

• davemclaren locked this topic