Should Hearts sign Lawrence Shankland?

XXX

Want him or not despite a possible hefty fee?  

532 members have voted

1. 1. POLL

"would be a good signing"

"I don't think he would"

"He'll score most of the chances we make"

I've just saved pages upon pages of the same discussion over and over there for you

I voted yes, on the assumption we will only sign him if we can agree an acceptable price.

I've put undecided purely because of the price. 

He's not a £500k player. Beerschott are idiots to have paid £1m, and I don't believe we should be paying for their mistake. 

I trust Savage and Neilsons judgement on this completely, I think they've earned the backing of the fans on this. 

Thankfully I think we're not going to be suckered into paying over the odds for him and I absolutely believe we're ready to walk away if the Belgians don't get real with their valuation. Take our offer + a sell on fee and maybe some sort of goal bonus to make up any short fall and be done with it. 5 goals in 25 games is a bad return, we're taking a chance even paying a fee tbh. 

100%.  Robbie got the best out of him. Superb player for me. Folk say he didn’t do much in the top league for Dundee Utd but look how they were set up and how shite they were everywhere else on the pitch. It’s a no brainer for me.  Would love to get him in. With Forrest, Mackay and others providing the ammunition he would be a great acquisition 

If the price is right. Hopefully we have other options if the deal falls through.

I'm not overly sold on him but I voted yes. I think Robbie and Savage have earned our trust and if they want him enough then fair enough. 

I'm intrigued to see how he'd do here tbh, obviously a natural goalscorer albeit at League 1 and Championship level. Bit of a gamble but could be a genius signing. 

queensferryjambo

He has only ever really impressed in the Scottish Championship. 

He has a lot to prove in the Premiership IMO. 

If we do sign him at least it will settle the argument in that horrible thread that ran on here for ages.

For me it's a 'why not?'...

If we don't sign him, we'll never know if he could cut it at Hearts. And I think he's got enough about him to take a punt. And it's not like we haven't wasted thousands on pish before anyway :lol:

Geoff Kilpatrick

I voted undecided. A hype train about a player usually ends up with egg all over people's faces.

i wish jj was my dad

Down to the cost. 500k sounds too much for a guy who isn't going to be an automatic choice but definitely someone I want us to sign. 

Watt-Zeefuik

No more than £400k, and even that may be a bit high. I know Beerschot want to cut their losses on the buy, but sometimes you buy a guy who isn't a fit and you have to take a bath.

Everyday of the week and twice on a sunday. Give him chances and he will score 100%

Edited by Gary Locke

Bazzas right boot
22 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

He has only ever really impressed in the Scottish Championship. 

He has a lot to prove in the Premiership IMO. 

If we do sign him at least it will settle the argument in that horrible thread that ran on here for ages.

I was more impressed with him in the top flight after watching him more than I was with goals to game ration in the championship. 

How many on here have really watched him enough to make a judgement?

davemclaren

I’ve not voted as I’ve no idea about him, which is different from undecided as I have little info to make a decision or not on him. 🥸

37 minutes ago, Gershwin said:

For me it's a 'why not?'...

If we don't sign him, we'll never know if he could cut it at Hearts. And I think he's got enough about him to take a punt. And it's not like we haven't wasted thousands on pish before anyway :lol:

This is where I'm at. I don't want us to go out of our way and pay over the odds for him, but if we end up with him for a reasonable price, then fair enough. 

I still don't think he's that great, and think we'll need to sign someone better than him as well.  If we could get Simms and Shankland, I think they could work really well together. 

Shankland is never, ever, ever a £1 Million player though, and Beerschot have obviously realised they've been had. We cannot, and should not, pay for any of their mistake. 

39 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

Could be a Hit, could be a Miss!!

Who knows for sure?.......nobody!!!

Like any signing tbf

29 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I was more impressed with him in the top flight after watching him more than I was with goals to game ration in the championship. 

How many on here have really watched him enough to make a judgement?

From a fans POV that’s true of most signings though ?  Look at who we’ve signed so far ? Devlin, Beni, Mackay etc etc as well

trust in the manager who as you champion is the most important factor (and that’s not a dig btw as it’s true).  Who’d really seen much of Boyce or Lafferty. Could go on

Edited by 1971fozzy

I'm not using these stats to bash Boyce, but it's useful to look at how he compares to our current strikers, especially when his Premiership scoring record is used as evidence that he's not good enough.

Shankland non-penalty goals for Dundee United in the Premiership - 8 in 33

Boyce non-penalty goals for Hearts in the Premiership - 8 in 39

In terms of all-round game, it's hard to find too many stats that illustrate this but across those games Shankland has 3 assists to Boyce's 2 and Boyce had 1.5 key passes per 90 minutes to Shankland's 1.3.

Their stats are comparable in terms of scoring and providing, but crucially that's in the context of Dundee United being absolutely minging as an attacking force. Going by that Twitter thread posted the other day, Dundee United 20/21 had literally half as many shots in the 6-yard box as Hearts 21/22, and not much better than half the shots inside the 18 yard box. 

Going by that, it's reasonable to expect you could get a substantially bigger goal return from Shankland by putting him in our team. In his comments about Grant tonight, Neilson reiterated that we like to target players who aren't suited to their current team but who might fit well in ours, because that's where you get the best value. That could well apply to Shankland.

Of course, if the fee is massive then it changes the calculation, but I think we'll move on to other targets if it looks like we'd have to pay over the odds.

BRAVEHEART1874

Yes.

If like simms though and the fee is too high,  then a possible loan

Yes, but on the understanding we don’t pay over the odds for him.

Shankland is a penalty box striker and that is what we have been crying out for. We create lots of chances, but we’re poor at finishing them off. A proper poacher could score a lot of goals for us, and Shankland fits the bill.

Ricardo Quaresma

Not much to lose; sign

-

Edited by Ricardo Quaresma
typo

Bazzas right boot
8 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

From a fans POV that’s true of most signings though ?  Look at who we’ve signed so far ? Devlin, Beni, Mackay etc etc as well

trust in the manager who as you champion is the most important factor (and that’s not a dig btw as it’s true).  Who’d really seen much of Boyce or Lafferty. Could go on

I'd seen a bit of Boyce and  Lafferty. 

McKay I called out as a great signing last summer. One, if not the only one to do so. 😎

Most signings that have played in Scotland I have seen, some I watch closely. For example Forrest this window. 

Shankland had an impressive record in the championship, but in the cup when we played them and when he was in the top flight I seen much more of him than previously and although his goal ratio dropped ( I knew it would) his all round play and quality of goals impressed me. 

I'm more of a Shankland admirer now, than I was when he was banging them in for Ayr. 

As you say, Robbie having managed him before is perfectly placed. 

Don't confuse championing with someone  pointing out facts and supporting the current Hearts manager and being proven correct. 

That's just called good judgement. 😘

Bungalow Bill

I worry about him not being able to do it at Premiership level, I would avoid especially as a fee is involved. 

As things stand we have Boyce and Henderson as strikers so it’s an unmitigated yes from me

All roads lead to Gorgie

My question would be if he played for someone else would I worry about him scoring against us, the answer for me is tending towards a yes. I would buy if the price is reasonable.

I really think we have a dilemma. We desperately need a striker , someone with proven scoring ability, but , guess what, everyone else (some clubs with lots more cash than us) is looking for the same. Shankland has a good record in the lower divisions and with Robbie having worked with him, he believes he can do it in the Premier League and Europe. He is prepared to take a risk with him because what is the alternative? We are never going to spend a million on Simms or anyone else , so it’s either Shankland, or some unknown striker from League one, or two, or someone at the end of his career. I think we will sign Shankland although negotiations will drag on.

Mr Elwood P
30 minutes ago, Holtie said:

I really think we have a dilemma. We desperately need a striker , someone with proven scoring ability, but , guess what, everyone else (some clubs with lots more cash than us) is looking for the same. Shankland has a good record in the lower divisions and with Robbie having worked with him, he believes he can do it in the Premier League and Europe. He is prepared to take a risk with him because what is the alternative? We are never going to spend a million on Simms or anyone else , so it’s either Shankland, or some unknown striker from League one, or two, or someone at the end of his career. I think we will sign Shankland although negotiations will drag on.

We don't play a competitive game for FIVE WEEKS! We could currently start:

McKay Boyce Forrest 

We've got Ginnelly and GMS as forward options plus the young lads. Definitely not the juncture of the window to be throwing around words like 'desperate' ...

Ex member of the SaS

As with all players previous form means nothing. How a player fits into a set up and what tactics the manager employs, means a player can be fantastic at one club but rubbish at another and vice versa. Personally not fussed if we do or don't sign him, but will leave that to those who know how we will play, and who will be supporting the strikers. If a player gets to play the way he likes and has support from the rest of the team then he will play well, but if the player likes support and doesn't get it, then he won't play well. So basically all the information required to know if he will do well or not is not within our knowledge and any speculation as to how a player ( any player ) is purely that (speculation ).

12 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

We don't play a competitive game for FIVE WEEKS! We could currently start:

McKay Boyce Forrest 

We've got Ginnelly and GMS as forward options plus the young lads. Definitely not the juncture of the window to be throwing around words like 'desperate' ...

You’ve answered my point - which one of those is a proven and regular striker……..Boyce but certainly not recently and I suspect his best days are behind him, as for the others ….??

I accept we have 5 weeks but make no mistake we need a striker.

indianajones

Nae idea about him. 

If he signs I hope he scores heaps and is massively successful for us. 

Mr Elwood P
57 minutes ago, Holtie said:

You’ve answered my point - which one of those is a proven and regular striker……..Boyce but certainly not recently and I suspect his best days are behind him, as for the others ….??

I accept we have 5 weeks but make no mistake we need a striker.

Another Liam Boyce denier ...

portobellojambo1

Another striker coming in would be a bonus especially if there is any truth in the stories about one or two English clubs being interested in Liam Boyce and the uncertainty of whether oe not Simms will be available on loan again. I actually hope Boyce stays and we play more regularly with two strilkers, being provided service from both Mackay and Forrest out wide.

My guess is that if you hear nothing next week then the deal is dead.

If we are getting messed about by the selling club just walk away and focus elsewhere.

• davemclaren locked this topic