Gino’s Place

Absolute Scenes

Absolute Scenes

With the transfer thread into turmoil, I thought it would be a good distraction to discuss Gino. A lot of noise about him potentially not being good enough, moving him on etc

maybe an unpopular opinion but I think he still has a place in this team. I’m interested to see how he will fare against European opponents as I feel they play a different style of football to Scottish. His pace is obviously his strongest asset but his final third delivery has not been great. However, in and out of the first team does mean he maybe never had a full run at maintaining his place. He secured us a number of points including his brilliant display as striker against Perth farmers at home and has cropped up with a number of goals. I personally think he’s going to have a good season with us, think he may surprise a few 

open to discussing though  

Only reason he should be going anywhere is if we can upgrade on him. I def think he has something to offer as part of our squad

Just now, Absolute Scenes said:

With the transfer thread into turmoil, I thought it would be a good distraction to discuss Gino. A lot of noise about him potentially not being good enough, moving him on etc

maybe an unpopular opinion but I think he still has a place in this team. I’m interested to see how he will fare against European opponents as I feel they play a different style of football to Scottish. His pace is obviously his strongest asset but his final third delivery has not been great. However, in and out of the first team does mean he maybe never had a full run at maintaining his place. He secured us a number of points including his brilliant display as striker against Perth farmers at home and has cropped up with a number of goals. I personally think he’s going to have a good season with us, think he may surprise a few 

Clearly a confidence player and he's been up & down over the season but has pace to burn.

I'd still keep him as an impact sub coming on against tired legs late in the game. If he could improve his crossing and chip in with a few more goals, I'd be delighted.

There’s 3 attacking players who always come up in this kind of conversation. Ginelly GMS & Mceneff.

Of those 2 Ginelly is the only one worth keeping and only on the grounds that he has real pace and has an impact now and again.

Ginelly has pace and can be a bit unpredictable for defenders (and himself at times). Long season ahead and I see no reason why he won't be called upon. Given, he wouldn't make our strongest team but certainly handy player to have in the squad.

9 minutes ago, RS86 said:

Only reason he should be going anywhere is if we can upgrade on him. I def think he has something to offer as part of our squad

This

He missed a fair bit of last season due to a combination of catching Covid and having to isolate more due to not getting vaccinated.

That disruption will have been a big factor in him not doing more last season.

That may also cause him issues getting to certain countries to play in Europe.

I think he's a good player and offers something different. He can be inconsistent at times but that's the norm for most wingers. I hope we can get a bit more out of him this year.

5 minutes ago, number-16 said:

He missed a fair bit of last season due to a combination of catching Covid and having to isolate more due to not getting vaccinated.

I think he's a good player and offers something different. He can be inconsistent at times but that's the norm for most wingers. I hope we can get a bit more out of him this year.

Yeah didn’t appear to be very happy even when playing last Season

I know only too well the damage Covid can  cause

56 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Not good enough, move him on.

I definitely feel he has something to offer, but probably low on confidence at the moment. If he can get a wee run of games at take defenders on, and beat them, he would still be an asset. 

Pasquale for King

We don’t use him properly, if we did with him what Hibs did with Boyle he would be more productive. 

20 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Good point. His crossing is so poor - and I assume we work on it in training - that he's much better if needing to shoot. He's taken the goals he has scored very well. Get him running past the last huddie with a ball over the top v teams like St Mirren and Ross County rather than tapping the ball about in front of their back 8.

Problem is these team sit deep against us and this tactic doesn't work on that basis. 

Boyces beard

imo Gino should only be used as an impact sub as a 2nd or 3rd choice central striker. He has pace but he is not a winger, he is very one dimensional out wide, he gets the ball and he stands the defender up before going on the outside and trying to get a cross in. His final ball is poor and defenders had him figured out after a few weeks.

As a central striker he is a better option and he is actually a pretty decent finisher when he can use his pace to get in behind. 

I would keep him as an option of the bench as a striker but not as a creative winger/wide forward.

i wish jj was my dad

I've been quite critical of Gino but forgot that he and Smiffy had covid.

Unless we are able to upgrade he is somebody to keep as an option though. Just not as a winger. Through the middle with a partner for me. 

13 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

There’s 3 attacking players who always come up in this kind of conversation. Ginelly GMS & Mceneff.

Of those 2 Ginelly is the only one worth keeping and only on the grounds that he has real pace and has an impact now and again.

He should’ve started the final. Bit baffled why he didn’t?

Bungalow Bill

Powder puff of a player IMO. Doesn’t look interested and very lightweight. Would love him to prove me wrong but double he’d make any impact in Europe. 

Edited by Apache Mal

Phil D. Corners
12 hours ago, number-16 said:

I like Gino and would keep him this season. 

My frustration is not that he made the decision not to get vaccinated, its a personal choice and so be it, but that he got Covid 3 times. It’s crazy. My frustration is that he must of missed so much of the season(s) due to this. Weeks isolating and then getting his fitness back   

I hope his immune systems is super strong and he remains healthy and fit this season. 💪🏻

Hearts are rampant

A good signing when he first arrived as we were crying out for pace and wide players (so possibly seemed better than he was).

The fact he was only on loan meant he was possibly trying a lot harder and more eager to please.

The quality of the squad has improved since he first arrived, so possibly it’s not that he’s worse or become a bad player, more guys like McKay have shown type of standard we can get and rest of team have moved on from level were at before.

You obviously can’t train to suddenly have pace so that’s a huge asset he has.

However, he really does need to train and work on his finishing and final ball.

Nowhere near a first pick but a useful player to have as a sub and on fringes.

Offset of that is we could likely have youth players who could do that and by the age Ginnelly is will have a good final ball and finish.

OmiyaHearts

If he starts more than ten games next season, we've not improved enough, imo.

Decent bench player but very limited ability. We need better in those positions.

He’s got pace, full stop! No awareness of what is going on round about him whatsoever - he doesn’t have a footballers brain ( you can’t teach that) and, worst of all, he has zero composure. He’s not a game changer and simply makes up the numbers…….!

He’s shite. Might be a good option away from home in Europe though so he can run about. That’s all he can do really. 

Gino will be a useful squad player and if we are only to keep 1 out of mceneff, gms and him, it's got to be gino for me, although inconsistent I think he is capable of having really good performances, unlike the other two where I haven't seen either of them perform above average for us, he has a huge attribute, which is his pace, if he can work on scoring more/converting more chances or getting more shots on target, I think he could develop into a top player, It's up to him really.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

I think we’ll keep GMS - not sure he has really earned it but Robbie wants as many of the squad as possible to have had Euro experience.

I think only him and Gordon have (excluding internationalists)

Watt-Zeefuik

I'd have a lot more time for him if he got vaccinated. Yes, it's a personal choice. It's also the choice of the club to loan him out to Cowdenbeath because he's not maintaining his health properly.

He turned a couple of games last season for us. Yes, he could disappear at times, but that's the way pacey strikers can be.

I agree that I like him more centrally than on the wing. Not a bad squad player.

john thomas
5 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

I'd have a lot more time for him if he got vaccinated. Yes, it's a personal choice. It's also the choice of the club to loan him out to Cowdenbeath because he's not maintaining his health properly.

He turned a couple of games last season for us. Yes, he could disappear at times, but that's the way pacey strikers can be.

I agree that I like him more centrally than on the wing. Not a bad squad player.

Yea its a personal choice 

He , personally , chooses to make it very likely he won't be able to turn up for his work . Also while , very possibly , infecting his workmates

He was terrible last season let’s not sugar coat it. A couple of moments here and there but did anyone actually notice when he wasn’t there, or think we could really do with Gino in this game? He needs to get his head down and work hard or We won’t see much of him again in a Hearts jersey.

Definitely worth keeping and seeing if he can be worked on. He’d be a very good player at this level if he just knew how to use his pace. 

Just need to look at Martin Boyle. As a footballer he’s pretty awful and for 2-3 years at Hibs he was just that. Suddenly he learns how to use his pace and he’s their best player sold for millions. 

Would keep

Good finisher and puts the work in even when he's having a poor game, that is rare in a winger

On 23/06/2022 at 18:23, Absolute Scenes said:

I think he is one of those players that may well benefit from having some sessions with our Sports Psychologist.

Absolute Scenes
5 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I think he is one of those players that may well benefit from having some sessions with our Sports Psychologist.

Definitely 

17 hours ago, Rudy T said:

He was terrible last season let’s not sugar coat it. A couple of moments here and there but did anyone actually notice when he wasn’t there, or think we could really do with Gino in this game? He needs to get his head down and work hard or We won’t see much of him again in a Hearts jersey.

Actually there were loads of games where we could have done with bringing the real Gino on. We’ve not seen it very often but on his game his pace is electric and he’s very hard to deal with. Problem was we often got the 50% Gino who just couldn’t get himself into the game, even against tired legs. 

If he could just produce a bit more often from the bench. Walker had a knack of coming on and changing the game and that’s what we need from Gino.

On 24/06/2022 at 09:16, Holtie said:

He’s got pace, full stop! No awareness of what is going on round about him whatsoever - he doesn’t have a footballers brain ( you can’t teach that) and, worst of all, he has zero composure. He’s not a game changer and simply makes up the numbers…….!

Gino has good composure when in on goal and is a good finisher. We should try playing him behind the main striker.

2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Actually there were loads of games where we could have done with bringing the real Gino on. We’ve not seen it very often but on his game his pace is electric and he’s very hard to deal with. Problem was we often got the 50% Gino who just couldn’t get himself into the game, even against tired legs. 

If he could just produce a bit more often from the bench. Walker had a knack of coming on and changing the game and that’s what we need from Gino.

It’s appears to be symptomatic of Ginos career has the tools to be a very good player, unable or unwilling to sustain a run of good performances then seems to just drift away.

He had a disjointed season but I believe one with more consistent game time will lead to positive results. Pace like that doesn't exist anywhere else in our squad and if Gino can improve on his delivery/decision making then he could be a very dangerous player.