Hearts Finishing Position - Based on Current Squad POLL

XXX

POLL  

408 members have voted

1. 1. With the start of the new Premiership season few weeks away taking into account the summer signings and CURRENT squads, where can you see Hearts finish this season?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/07/22 at 23:00

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IveSeenTheLight

• Bazzas right boot

• kingantti1874

• jambo89

Can't see anyone else out-doing us for 3rd. Might see an improvement from Aberdeen and think Utd will have another good season but think we will finish 3rd again.

Also think Killie will get top 6.

With our current squad the European games will take a toll so if we don't sign anyone else then 5th but I've sure there will be more so don't see why 3rd is not achievable again.

I voted 3rd, but didn't read the question properly, so I was basing it not just on current signings, but those that we seem to be close to signing and others that will no doubt come in before the window slams shut.  On reflection, I'm still going for 3rd.

Watt-Zeefuik

With no new signings, I think we'd manage third but just, and I wouldn't be confident.

With the signings I think we're going to make, I'll feel more confident. The main thing that could derail it is if we start to do well in Europe and maybe in the LC and it takes away from our league form.

johnking123

Current squad would be 4th iv put. But sign a few more players like strikers and midfielder.  Then 3rd is in our grasp.

We usually perform poorly after a good season. Went fir 4th but wouldn't surprise me if we were scraping top 6.

3rd.

Not sure who others think will beat us to it when the rest of them couldn’t buy a win most of last season. I look at their recruitment so far and it’s not exactly making me shake with fear. Hibs for example have a squad of 38!! and full of youngsters and gambles. They are also likely to lose Porteous. Aberdeen (or should I say Celtics Colts) have lost their best player .

we will have a packed stadium every home game as well which any other team (outside the uglies) have zero chance of having - they’ll be half full at best.

Obviously we need at least one striker , a decent back up keeper and also Beni back will be huge. 3rd no problem

Edited by 1971fozzy

Wow interesting poll, when I actually thought about it critically, I ended up going for 5th, as currently I feel that we are weaker having lost Souttar and Simms and also with beni ruled out until after Xmas, then when you factor in our European games I don't think we have the strength In depth within our squad to maintain a top 3/4 finish, still feel like we need around 7 signings until I am confident we will finish 3rd again, I realise that might be pessimistic but that's honestly how I feel at the current moment.

Boyces beard

Voted 4th based on our current squad and European football as we are still short of numbers imo, if we can add a few more quality players then we can take 3rd again no problem.

Saint Jambo

Are we also comparing to all other teams as their squads are now? We clearly need to strengthen in some areas but so to do most of the other teams in the league.

AlphonseCapone
2 hours ago, johnking123 said:

Current squad would be 4th iv put. But sign a few more players like strikers and midfielder.  Then 3rd is in our grasp.

Out of interest, currently, who is beating us to 3rd in your view? 

Seaside Dave
10 hours ago, Rick Sanchez said:

I voted 4th. It depends on our Sunday form after Europe IMO.

I voted for 3rd because that's our position behind the mob. But Sundays after Europe scare me. Imagine we are playing big European teams and then have to come home and play likes of Ross county etc hope im wrong 

johnking123
Just now, AlphonseCapone said:

Out of interest, currently, who is beating us to 3rd in your view? 

We going by current squad. We have two strikers and a lot more games to play. We add to that department and we are third. Will be needing more than Boyce and Henderson. 

Finishing 3rd (or better) two seasons in a row is something we've only achieved once in the 63 years since 1959/60.  I've gone for 4th for that reason, as I think the European games will really take it out of our current squad. 

1959/60 - 1st          Next season - 7th

1964/65 - 2nd        Next season - 7th

1985/86 - 2nd        Next season - 5th

1987/88 - 2nd        Next season - 6th

1989/90 - 3rd         Next season - 5th

1991/92 - 2nd         Next season - 5th

1997/98 - 3rd         Next season - 6th

1999/00 - 3rd         Next season - 5th

2002/03 - 3rd         Next season - 3rd

2003/04 - 3rd         Next season - 5th

2005/06 - 2nd        Next season - 4th

2008/09 - 3rd         Next season - 6th

2015/16 - 3rd         Next season - 5th

On the 13 occasions above that we finished 3rd or better, we followed it up with:

3rd       x1

4th       x1

5th       x6

6th       x3

7th       x2

Bazzas right boot

Voted 1st, but 3rd again. 

Aberdeen to push us. 

Hibs to improve 

Utd/ Motherwell to crash and burn

Mr Elwood P
6 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Voted 1st, but 3rd again. 

Aberdeen to push us. 

Hibs to improve 

Utd/ Motherwell to crash and burn

Yeah I can see Dundee United having a horrible campaign and being bottom six.

Absolute Scenes
6 minutes ago, Waterboy said:

Finishing 3rd (or better) two seasons in a row is something we've only achieved once in the 63 years since 1959/60.  I've gone for 4th for that reason, as I think the European games will really take it out of our current squad. 

1959/60 - 1st          Next season - 7th

1964/65 - 2nd        Next season - 7th

1985/86 - 2nd        Next season - 5th

1987/88 - 2nd        Next season - 6th

1989/90 - 3rd         Next season - 5th

1991/92 - 2nd         Next season - 5th

1997/98 - 3rd         Next season - 6th

1999/00 - 3rd         Next season - 5th

2002/03 - 3rd         Next season - 3rd

2003/04 - 3rd         Next season - 5th

2005/06 - 2nd        Next season - 4th

2008/09 - 3rd         Next season - 6th

2015/16 - 3rd         Next season - 5th

On the 13 occasions above that we finished 3rd or better, we followed it up with:

3rd       x1

4th       x1

5th       x6

6th       x3

7th       x2

good post, was looking for this kind of info.

It seems it difficult for Scottish teams (bar Aberdeens spell) to consolidate 3rd spot. I would be happy with 4th and a good cup run, but really want us to put out all stops for 3rd. By the end of the window i think we will have a solid squad able to compete in Europe and enough quality to grab 3rd

AlphonseCapone
10 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

We going by current squad. We have two strikers and a lot more games to play. We add to that department and we are third. Will be needing more than Boyce and Henderson. 

I understand but I'm interested in who you think would be the team to beat us to 3rd on current squads? Aberdeen will be our closest competitor this year I think. 

Always vote for 1st place in these things. If ye canni at least aim for the top, what’s the point? Me and Super Joe Savage are cut from the same cloth on this one 🤪

Dick Dastardly

I voted 3rd based on the fact that Aberdeen haven't even got 18 players, Jack Ross is in charge at Utd and Hibs are just pish. 

BerraBelieveit

1st. No point aiming anywhere else. 

Is it likely? No. 

Is it impossible? No. 

Seen weaker Hearts teams having runs in seasons which are title winning form. 

Hopefully get a surprise and go to Perth and win. 

Wee bit premature while we are still building for next season but we are still a few key players away from solidifying our position imo. 

We will finish 3rd after reinforcements but as it stands the squad would be too thin.

With such a small squad I couldn't see us managing to put as good a run of results together early in the season as well as the demands of Europe.

10 hours ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Same here. Said a lot towards the end of the season that knowing us we'll finish 5th next year, but maybe a bit harsh. I can see us doing well in the 2nd half of the season but how we cope playing in Europe and on Sunday's for 8 weeks between August and November will be crucial to our season.

Looking around us though, as much as its early days, nobody is alarming me for challenging us. I think Hibs signing policy is scattergun and can only lead to a meltdown once again. Aberdeen have been busy but really dabbling in a lot of unknown players and the jury is out on Goodwin I'd say. Dundee United will be one to watch with Jack Ross, but they've got a lot of improving to do in the squad to catch up with us.

A lot of teams will improve and can’t be as bad as last season, what concerns me is we get into top six , split and we go on holidays, 4th would be good .😎👍

Phil D. Corners

3rd. But it will be tougher then last year. These 8 European games will take its toll. It’s a great problem to have. 

1 hour ago, johnking123 said:

Exactly, come the end of the transfer window and we only had those two as strikers and then boyce gets injured, we'd be struggling for top 6 with only Henderson up front. Not that I think that in any way shape or form we'll start the season with the two of them as our only striking options and honestly feel that as far as third place next season goes it's simply a numbers game for us, have enough players to cope with the extra games and we'll comfortably finish third, bring in quality and numbers and we'll still be 3rd but closer to the OF.

Phil D. Corners
23 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

I’m not convinced we will finish 3rd - we never finish 3rd twice in a row 

Except when Levein did it. 

5 hours ago, johnking123 said:

I’ve voted 3rd. With the CURRENT squad as is today we’re not getting any closer to the OF and we might even be looking over our shoulder a bit. 

So far it’s a bit of a soft upgrade and IMO we are weaker right now than we were last season. I like the look of Rowles from the one game I’ve seen him and Forrest COULD be an improvement. Neilson doesn’t seem like a starter to me yet.

Ronan and Grant ? Who knows what they would bring. Shankland I’d be happy enough with. Cochrane would need to step it up considerably to be a real coup. 

To be 100% confident on 3rd we are 4 pretty good signings short as we stand, Shankland being one of those, leaving us needing another quality striker, a sure fire attacking midfielder (a number 10) and a decent well traveled centre back. Goalkeeper we are also rolling the dice on Gordon staying fit so we need to look at that sooner or later.

Edited by JimmyCant

Back to 2005

3rd as always should be the minimum target. Aberdeen and Hibs are the only teams with a budget that is close to ours (and so far Aberdeen have sold their one actually talented player and Hibs have adopted a scattergun approach to signings. 
hopefully we strengthen enough so the Thursday nights don’t impact the league performance too much but no reason why we cannot at least match last season when we were miles ahead of 4th. 

13 hours ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Same here 

With our current squad? Probably 4th, just because we only have Boyce signed up as a striker and if anything happens to him then it’s Gino up top

4 hours ago, Boyces beard said:

Voted 4th based on our current squad and European football as we are still short of numbers imo, if we can add a few more quality players then we can take 3rd again no problem.

This is exactly my opinion as well. Definitely need at least one striker,back up goalie and a quality centre midfielder. 

FarmerTweedy
15 hours ago, RobNox said:

I voted 3rd, but didn't read the question properly, so I was basing it not just on current signings, but those that we seem to be close to signing and others that will no doubt come in before the window slams shut.  On reflection, I'm still going for 3rd.

If it's current squad for us, it's current squads for everyone else too. We need to sign a few more players but I'm sure everyone else does too, so I have absolutely no problem voting for 3rd!  Of course, if we end up not signing anyone else and other clubs do, then we might struggle, but that's not going to happen! 

colinmorewasgash

Normally when in Europe previously we finish about 5th as all games catch up with us during season.

loveofthegame

I voted third but in reality, current squad with zero additions would struggle post Europe and would overly rely on Boyce to score goals (who we all know didn't score enough goals in the second half of the season). So I think, as at today and based on other squads as of today, we'd be looking at a struggle for third/fourth place finish.

No-one else is that good either, but it wouldn't be a procession to third like this season was. I'd also note that Aberdeen and Hibs are making lots of signings and are highly unlikely to be finished - I think Hibs will struggle but Aberdeen could be a much more serious opposition next year if they hold onto the rest of their top players and make a few more decent signings.

upgotheheads

We will have a better squad, at least in terms of depth. It's difficult to see us getting very close to the cheeks, but equally difficult to see Aberdeen, Hubz or any other team closing the gap with us.

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

20 years ago 

Tbf, we've not finished 3rd that often since then in order to follow it up with another. 

We were on for it again after Robbies 3rd place finish until he left and Cathro taken over. 

Bazzas right boot
39 minutes ago, colinmorewasgash said:

Normally when in Europe previously we finish about 5th as all games catch up with us during season.

What, the usual 4 games give it take over a season? 

The crash the season after is usually due to losing key players, not replacing them, poor finances and/ or poor management. 

The few European games will have had little or no impact, particularly in the last 30 years or so. 

There isn't an excuse for it this season. 

We have the nucleus of a good team. 

We have money to spend. 

We have a fantastic manager.