Top Posters In This Topic

• Malinga the Swinga

• Shooter McGavin

• Dawnrazor

• JudyJudyJudy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 20/06/2022 at 15:09, ri Alban said:

You might not like it. But something has to give in this country.

Only when the punters are hungry enough....

Harry Potter
10 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

discuss later, need to get to work

Geoff Kilpatrick

If you are going to have a revolution, can you do it after I've had my Christmas holidays? Thanks in advance!

Lord Montpelier

Do us a favour Ri and give us an advance warning of any protests and / or uprisings you are involved in so I can avoid the area, thanks. 

Malinga the Swinga

Can we do it while weather is half decent? Don't fancy storming parliament in the colder months when it gets dark around 3.30pm. Cheers.

A_A wehatethehibs

What form is your revolution going to take? What’s the plan? Which means for production are you going to sieze first? 

In all seriousness, if the gap between the rich ruling class and the working and middle classes keeps widening as it is, a "peasant" revolution might not be that far fetched. 

Although I reckon if anywhere will crumble first, it'll be the Yanks. 

Edited by Norm

John Findlay
4 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

There should be an air strike on Paisley .

Germans did that in the early 1940s. Did £30M of improvements, and the locals were still not satisfied.

6 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

It missed and hit your bird.

The Ultimate Worrier
59 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Agreed.

Anarchy will happen when droughts start happening. Ever wonder why England is so completely desperate to hold onto the union? Water. They will run dry in the next 25-30 years unless something changes. 

There will never be a revolution. People will be to busy killing each other over water. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

5 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Water. They will run dry in the next 25-30 years unless something changes. 

Source?

20 minutes ago, kila said:

🤣 seriously, I've lived in the North West of England for 20 years, I can assure you there absolutely no shortage of water!!

It's storage that needs addressing, do you honestly think it'll be cheaper and less logistically challenging to pipe water from the North and West of Scotland to the South of England than for it to be taken from the North of England?

Since when have England lost the ability to build dams and pipes? 

Is there suddenly nowhere in England that dams could be built? 

Have the rivers moved or dried up?

Is it suddenly going to stop raining in England but not in Scotland?

Edited by Dawnrazor

Malinga the Swinga
3 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

🤣 seriously, I've lived in the North West of England for 20 years, I can assure you there absolutely no shortage of water!!

It's storage that needs addressing, do you honestly think it'll be cheaper and less logistically challenging to pipe water from the North and West of Scotland to the South of England than for to be taken from the North of England?

Stop introducing common sense. Everyone knows it only rains in Scotland, that England can't store water and that Scottish water is key to our surviving the forthcoming water wars.

3 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Stop introducing common sense. Everyone knows it only rains in Scotland, that England can't store water and that Scottish water is key to our surviving the forthcoming water wars.

It's funny that in 1935, an aqueduct was built from Hawswater in the Lake District to Heaton Park in Manchester, it didn't go from Loch Awe or St Marys Loch or Loch Ness did it?!

United Utilities are currently renewing the pipe at the cost of billions, they are not putting a pipe into a loch or reservoir in Scotland, why is this if there's going to be no water in England in 25 or 30 years?

5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Had to smile at this.

It’s my dads funeral today and this is the sort of thing he would’ve just randomly rattled out with :lol:

18 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

It's storage that needs addressing, do you honestly think it'll be cheaper and less logistically challenging to pipe water from the North and West of Scotland to the South of England than for it to be taken from the North of England?

You're looking backwards rather than forwards. I take it you don't believe in climate change and that in 20 years time things will still be the same?

JudyJudyJudy

Well if we take the Russian revolution as an example it didn’t end too well for the proletariat really . Initially it was party party party.  Various murders , hangings etc of the rich snd aristocracy , then things started to go pear shaped once Lenin died and Stalin took over . Think over 20 million Russians died of starvation ? So no thanks . Let’s try democratic means to remove the scum at number 10 or have an Indy ref democratically 

25 minutes ago, kila said:

You're looking backwards rather than forwards. I take it you don't believe in climate change and that in 20 years time things will still be the same?

Why didn't UU build a pipe from Scotland to Manchester? Do you not think their scientists haven't factored in rainfall and climate change?

Will it stop raining in England and not in Scotland? 

Edited by Dawnrazor

45 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Had to smile at this.

It’s my dads funeral today and this is the sort of thing he would’ve just randomly rattled out with :lol:

I'm sad to hear about your Dad, please accept my sympathies. 

6 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I'm sad to hear about your Dad, please accept my sympathies. 

Cheers mate. It wasn’t a blatant attempt at getting some sympathy or attention, honestly :lol:

It’s genuinely something he would’ve cracked out with.

joondalupjambo

There is a third option, a war.

That would change the whole landscape.

Stop the moaners moaning and he get the poor to the front line again.

Heaven's forbid but who knows.

A Boy Named Crow
8 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

But not in 25 years apparently. 

In fairness, there is a noticeable lack of rain in the south east. I'm pretty sure other parts England could pick up the slack though.

3 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

There is a third option, a war.

That would change the whole landscape.

Stop the moaners moaning and he get the poor to the front line again.

Heaven's forbid but who knows.

It worked 40 years ago.

If there wasn’t a revolution in the 80s there won’t be one now.  Thatcher made sure there are too many invested, home-owning middle-class folk for it to happen.

Just now, A Boy Named Crow said:

In fairness, there is a noticeable lack of rain in the south east. I'm pretty sure other parts England could pick up the slack though.

This is exactly my point, as I've said it'll be MUCH cheaper therefore more profitable to take water from the North of England, where there is absolutely no shortage, to the South, money will be spent on building reservoirs, increasing efficiency and stopping leaks in England before it will be spent on getting water from Scotland wheather independence happens or not.

This whole thing about England needing Scotland for its water is utterly ridiculous. 

Malinga the Swinga
7 minutes ago, FWJ said:

It worked 40 years ago.

If there wasn’t a revolution in the 80s there won’t be one now.  Thatcher made sure there are too many invested, home-owning middle-class folk for it to happen.

Bloody Thatcher, giving folk opportunity to own their home and better themselves.

Things are so much better when only wealthy could do that. We should have stuck to renting shit homes with no central heating, no double glazing and relied on council to look after us. 

8 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

This is exactly my point, as I've said it'll be MUCH cheaper therefore more profitable to take water from the North of England, where there is absolutely no shortage, to the South, money will be spent on building reservoirs, increasing efficiency and stopping leaks in England before it will be spent on getting water from Scotland wheather independence happens or not.

This whole thing about England needing Scotland for its water is utterly ridiculous. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-13765279

Edited by Gizmo

1 minute ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Bloody Thatcher, giving folk opportunity to own their home and better themselves.

Things are so much better when only wealthy could do that. We should have stuck to renting shit homes with no central heating, no double glazing and relied on council to look after us. 

I’m not disagreeing with you, she knew what she was doing (thanks to Keith Joseph) and she did it.

It was the as-long-as-the-majority-are -doing-well-the-devil-take-the-hindmost result that is troubling. 
Generations now that have never known work.

1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

Why didn't UU build a pipe from Scotland to Manchester? Do you not think their scientists haven't factored in rainfall and climate change?

Will it stop raining in England and not in Scotland? 

It's not just about rainfall, it's also how hot the summers are causing reservoirs dry up quicker. The temperatures of southern England are miles hotter than northern Scotland.

There could be more torrential rain from thunderstorms in England, so I guess while there could be limited water availability for periods, there'll be too much water for periods too and it'll come in via your front door before the next prolonged heatwave dries it out again.

I'm not saying Scotland is going to be some utopia and England burning dry in 25 years time, just that Scotland will be better off because it's further north.

Malinga the Swinga
13 minutes ago, FWJ said:

I’m not disagreeing with you, she knew what she was doing (thanks to Keith Joseph) and she did it.

It was the as-long-as-the-majority-are -doing-well-the-devil-take-the-hindmost result that is troubling. 
Generations now that have never known work.

Yet there are plenty vacancies out there. Employers desperate for staff yet apparently we have generations who have never known work. 

Perhaps if the lazy *******s for off their backsides and actually did work, we might get on better.

Then again, they expect everything to be handed on a plate to them as that is what our Scottish government promise so why work for it.

1 hour ago, kila said:

It's not just about rainfall, it's also how hot the summers are causing reservoirs dry up quicker. The temperatures of southern England are miles hotter than northern Scotland.

There could be more torrential rain from thunderstorms in England, so I guess while there could be limited water availability for periods, there'll be too much water for periods too and it'll come in via your front door before the next prolonged heatwave dries it out again.

I'm not saying Scotland is going to be some utopia and England burning dry in 25 years time, just that Scotland will be better off because it's further north.

Reservoirs dry up with a combination of lack of rain fall AND use, there's plenty of water in England, it's the lack of storage that needs addressing and it's cheaper, quicker and much more practical to build more reservoirs in England than it is to pipe it from hundreds of miles away, this is glaringly obvious. 

Francis Albert

Daily Mail type post alert! But I think it is a valid question. If this country is so awful why do tens of thousand risk their lives to get here each year. After Brexit you would have thought the traffic would be in the opposite direction with people fleeing the horrors of post_Brexit Britain to get to the  relative paradise that is the EU.

14 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Daily Mail type post alert! But I think it is a valid question. If this country is so awful why do tens of thousand risk their lives to get here each year. After Brexit you would have thought the traffic would be in the opposite direction with people fleeing the horrors of post_Brexit Britain to get to the  relative paradise that is the EU.

Family connections and English language play a large part, apparently.  But not that much, as many, many more refugees (6x as many?) settle in Germany / France.

Dennis Denuto
16 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Once Economic migrants get here it is probably not the Utopia they imagined, I suppose it very much depends on where you are starting from. it is usually extreme events like war or famine that causes mass migration.

The Mighty Thor
38 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Reservoirs dry up with a combination of lack of rain fall AND use, there's plenty of water in England, it's the lack of storage that needs addressing and it's cheaper, quicker and much more practical to build more reservoirs in England than it is to pipe it from hundreds of miles away, this is glaringly obvious. 

You've made a logical argument to a point and that point is the water and reservoirs and infrastructure is owned by different companies ( Thatcher sold it all off for shitpence)

That causes issues as its not one organisation selling or moving water. Its a host of competing companies. 

5 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

You've made a logical argument to a point and that point is the water and reservoirs and infrastructure is owned by different companies ( Thatcher sold it all off for shitpence)

That causes issues as its not one organisation selling or moving water. Its a host of competing companies. 

So will these diffirent English profit driven companies spend money building the infrastructure to get water from hundreds of miles away in Scotland or from England?

Just to add that I work closely with two water companies, this is a conversation I've had numerous times with various levels of upper management and they've all said the same thing.

Edited by Dawnrazor

The Mighty Thor
6 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

So will these diffirent English profit driven companies spend money building the infrastructure to get water from hundreds of miles away in Scotland or from England?

Just to add that I work closely with two water companies, this is a conversation I've had numerous times with various levels of upper management and they've all said the same thing.

Will they spend it at all?

The track record of private utility companies and investment isn't stellar. Its how England's water system is creaking. 

I'm happy ours is still publicly owned.