Growing our support

Bungalow Bill

Bungalow Bill

Currently in Croatia on holiday, and one thing I love talking about when abroad is football. Specifically about the local football clubs, people in Croatia appear to be similar to speaking to people in Greece when it comes to their clubs.

People proudly tell me they are members of their club, which gets me wondering what is a ‘member’.

Is it just the same as being a Season Ticket holder. I’ve just been on the Hadjuk Split membership website and people can pay a very small amount - £12, to purely be a club member. it comes with some benefits https://hajduk.hr/eng/club/membership

Folk on the continent seem to be passionate about everything their club does, from football to the volleyball department. Yet we have supporters having hissy fits over a ladies team. 

I know kids who are Hearts fans who will never get a season ticket due to their parents not being into football, but I bet they’d get a membership. It makes me wonder if we should be a bit more progressive in this area. 

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, Apache Mal said:

Currently in Croatia on holiday, and one thing I love talking about when abroad is football. Specifically about the local football clubs, people in Croatia appear to be similar to speaking to people in Greece when it comes to their clubs.

People proudly tell me they are members of their club, which gets me wondering what is a ‘member’.

Is it just the same as being a Season Ticket holder. I’ve just been on the Hadjuk Split membership website and people can pay a very small amount - £12, to purely be a club member. it comes with some benefits https://hajduk.hr/eng/club/membership

Folk on the continent seem to be passionate about everything their club does, from football to the volleyball department. Yet we have supporters having hissy fits over a ladies team. 

I know kids who are Hearts fans who will never get a season ticket due to their parents not being into football, but I bet they’d get a membership. It makes me wonder if we should be a bit more progressive in this area. 

That's great but, and no offence, I'm just not clear, what would the actual point of the exercise be?

Kids can already be a member of Junior Jambos (I think that's the name) for free and we have the FoH to raise extra funds.

Bungalow Bill
Just now, Smithee said:

That's great but, and no offence, I'm just not clear, what would the actual point of the exercise be?

Kids can already be a member of Junior Jambos (I think that's the name) for free and we have the FoH to raise extra funds.

For me, it’s a sense of belonging to the club. The guy I was talking to didn’t get to games but he was a member of Hadjuk, mad for them. 

i said it before and got ridiculed which im not bothered about we could have an esports team 

https://win.gg/news/famous-soccer-clubs-with-the-best-esports-teams/

FOH contributors could dramatically increase if we done things right we could have thousands of donors from all over the world some of these gamers get hundreds of thousands of viewers it even gives a chance to get fans from areas that dont even watch football the tribal nature of esports is very similar to sports

SomethingAboutObua

This is partly what AberDNA is, Aussie Rules teams all have 'memberships' and a lot of European ice hockey and basketball teams do it too. Some EPL teams have also done it. 

I think it'd be great, theyre usually focused on providing ticket access, maybe a 'free' match from a list of fixtures, club shop discounts, exclusive content etc. 

I'd like to see it done at all ages for non season ticket holders  

Bungalow Bill
7 minutes ago, Masonic said:

i said it before and got ridiculed which im not bothered about we could have an esports team 

FOH contributors could dramatically increase if we done things right we could have thousands of donors from all over the world some of these gamers get hundreds of thousands of viewers it even gives a chance to get fans from areas that dont even watch football the tribal nature of esports is very similar to sports

This is the second time I’ve read about esports today, read about Ozil and his esports. 

I don’t know anything about it, but I’d be worried if it was never discussed by the people running the club. Surely this is going to be massive one day. 

Edited by Apache Mal

Bungalow Bill
2 minutes ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

This is partly what AberDNA is, Aussie Rules teams all have 'memberships' and a lot of European ice hockey and basketball teams do it too. Some EPL teams have also done it. 

I think it'd be great, theyre usually focused on providing ticket access, maybe a 'free' match from a list of fixtures, club shop discounts, exclusive content etc. 

I watch AFL, I have family in Australia. The sport is just ok, but I love how it’s part of Aussie culture (mainly in Vic, SA and WA). That’s what grabbed me about the sport. 

Unknown user
1 minute ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

The problem is that these schemes are taxed, while the FoH isn't.

As soon as it's transactional, getting something for your money, tax gets paid. It's better to give the club money through the FoH so it's not taxed and they don't have to give anything in return.

SomethingAboutObua
2 minutes ago, Masonic said:

All for an eSports team, not something I'm remotely interested in personally but there's a reason all these continental teams have them. Get it sorted Hearts. Too many fans in Scotland have thought for too long everything needs exclusively aimed at the middle aged male fanbase and clutch at their pearls at the idea of anything trying to attract anyone under 40 to the teams or leagues 

Bungalow Bill
8 minutes ago, Smithee said:

The problem is that these schemes are taxed, while the FoH isn't.

As soon as it's transactional, getting something for your money, tax gets paid. It's better to give the club money through the FoH so it's not taxed and they don't have to give anything in return.

The FoH is great, I’ve been a member since day 1 and I’ve recently signed up my 2yr son. But, with cost of living his membership could be the one to lapse, not mine though. There doesn’t appear to be many tangible benefits for kids. 

Edited by Apache Mal

Bazzas right boot

E sports is interesting. Never knew it existed. 

We are also not too far away from VR taking you to the stadium or event. 

You could have 20k at Tynecastle but another 10k watching the game in person from afar as they are in their pub or home at Tynecastle watching the game through VR. 

The technology is there or getting there to allow fans that previously could never get to the ground to be there by VR. 

The technology itself is a little expansive atm. 

Not far from the likes of this-

Man utd 1 man city 2

Att 68k

VR Att 1. 2m! 

Wil transform how fans can go to sports events and gigs. 

Will open up a almost unlimited commercial opportunity, especially for the big clubs with world wide supports. 

Celtic in particular could benefit hugely. 🙄

For example you could have a 10 or 20k stadium in Ireland all with VR. 

Fans go there and they can watch the OF Derby, but it will feel like they are at the game. 

Rinse and repeat for most major clubs. 

In this scenario celtic could sell VR season tickets. 

Plastic fans, like the man citeh or r Madrid types in this country could go to an arena, stick on their head set and be even more uber.

Even for the sc final, you could have had Ibrox and Tynecastle full. 

I can see it happening in my life time, but the cost is prohibitive atm. 

World wide fan base will mean much more than it does now. 

Edited by Bazzas right boot

5 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

You could have 20k at Tynecastle but another 10k watching the game in person from afar as they are in their pub or home at Tynecastle watching the game through VR. 

The technology is there or getting there to allow fans that previously could never get to the ground to be there by VR. 

Man utd 1 man city 2

Att 68k

VR Att 1. 2m! 

Will open up a almost unlimited commercial opportunity, especially for the big clubs with world wide supports. 

Fans go there and they can watch the OF Derby, but it will feel like they are at the game. 

Plastic fans, like the man citeh or r Madrid types in this country could go to an arena, stick on their head set and be even more uber.

And the gap will just get even bigger. The arse cheeks will be so far in front financially it would be ridiculous. Clubs like ours will be so far away from them there would be no competition.  If this happens then the euro super league or whatever they want to call it would be the way to go for those clubs and leave the rest of us to have meaningful competitive leagues etc

27 minutes ago, Apache Mal said:

I've never looked it up, but I've heard a stat that the UK has the highest number of people attending football in Europe, and having lived in Europe for nearly 20 years it would seem to be the case.

All the Scottish people I can think of living in Luxembourg like football to a greater or lesser extent, whereas the non Brits would probably be around 50% with absolutely no interest, no team, etc.

I'm quite interested in examples of clubs that have managed to grow their supporter base significantly. I think there is probably a lot we could learn from other clubs in terms of what is applicable to us and how we might continue to grow. 

R.E Memberships, I'm not sure if it would work with the FOH existing. If the club launched something like that, the automatic response from pledgers that presumably have been pledging for years would be a confused 'am I not a member like?', I suppose you could package FOH pledger in with membership but I don't know if that might have negative implications with tax and stuff. I think in our case, member and pledger are quite synonymous anyway so I'm not sure there is any value in launching one. Most folk that would join already have via the FOH. Could potential look at more recruitment drives from the FOH ?

Bungalow Bill
5 minutes ago, OTT said:

I'm quite interested in examples of clubs that have managed to grow their supporter base significantly. I think there is probably a lot we could learn from other clubs in terms of what is applicable to us and how we might continue to grow. 

R.E Memberships, I'm not sure if it would work with the FOH existing. If the club launched something like that, the automatic response from pledgers that presumably have been pledging for years would be a confused 'am I not a member like?', I suppose you could package FOH pledger in with membership but I don't know if that might have negative implications with tax and stuff. I think in our case, member and pledger are quite synonymous anyway so I'm not sure there is any value in launching one. Most folk that would join already have via the FOH. Could potential look at more recruitment drives from the FOH ?

I agree with what you are saying. Having the FoH makes offering a ‘membership’ a bit tricky. 

But for say £20 a year, the club could offer priority waiting lists for match tickets, membership pack, access to a signing session membership merch…

I’m saying all of the above on the assumption we’ve never looked at this sort of thing. The numbers maybe just aren’t there. 

Unknown user
46 minutes ago, Apache Mal said:

The FoH is great, I’ve been a member since day 1 and I’ve recently signed up my 2yr son. But, with cost of living his membership could be the one to lapse, not mine though. There doesn’t appear to be many tangible benefits for kids. 

There can't be tangible benefits or our pledges will get taxed. I'd need a lot of convincing to accept our 140k a month was to become 112k to the club and 28k to the taxman, even before the cost of funding tangible benefits.

There are benefits to Junior Jambos though and that's free.

I think the club has to be careful about the schemes it sets up, when practically anything it sets up will attract tax and likely take money away from an untaxed source.

9 minutes ago, Smithee said:

There can't be tangible benefits or our pledges will get taxed. I'd need a lot of convincing to accept our 140k a month was to become 112k to the club and 28k to the taxman, even before the cost of funding tangible benefits.

There are benefits to Junior Jambos though and that's free.

I think the club has to be careful about the schemes it sets up, when practically anything it sets up will attract tax and likely take money away from an untaxed source.

The good thing is that the likes of Stuart Wallace, Paul Cheshire and Louise Strutt all have bags of experience in the accountancy and tax industry so quite well placed to navigate things. Donald Cumming a lawyer too. So probably have had excellent advice on what we can and cannot do. 

Quite right to point these issues out though. I don't think the pledgers would be very happy if the club inadvertently walked onto a tax landmine and lost something like £28k per month to the tax man! 

Fozzyonthefence
24 minutes ago, WageThief said:

I've never looked it up, but I've heard a stat that the UK has the highest number of people attending football in Europe, and having lived in Europe for nearly 20 years it would seem to be the case.

All the Scottish people I can think of living in Luxembourg like football to a greater or lesser extent, whereas the non Brits would probably be around 50% with absolutely no interest, no team, etc.

That is probably true in terms of actual numbers but the Scottish league is the best attended in Europe by head of population. 

Bungalow Bill
48 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

That is probably true in terms of actual numbers but the Scottish league is the best attended in Europe by head of population. 

That’s been the case for a few years has it not. It’s amazing.  

The Scottish game is completely undersold, there are news stories every day during the season, and yet the BBC pulled the weekdays Sportsound show. I don’t get why we don’t do more to enhance our product. 

2 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Yeah that's what I was trying to say clumsily (although I thought it was UK).  To have many old club games with attendance over 100k suggests it has always been the case.  Over 100k is something like 1 in 20 men in the whole country given women/children didn't go back in the 40s.

In the case of the continent, Germany especially, the reason for membership is because the fans tend to be large shareholders of clubs. These clubs are run by a president, rather than a chairman, who is voted in by the fans. Members pay their fee and get added perks, but the main idea is to give a set number of the 'most loyal' fans a real voice at the club and for them to attend AGM's, vote on certain things etc. By paying a membership, you don't exactly own the club in any way, but you certainly do have some influence. Which, is ultimately what FOH gives us already. As others mentioned, the only difference is that ours is classed as donations whereas a membership scheme would be seen as taxable income.

In the case of clubs in England like Manchester United and the likes, membership might still give you some influence or say but its ultimately just a way to regulate ticket sales.

Hearts and the rest have no chance, when the media don't even try to promote any team other than Rangers and Celtic. You just need to listen to the likes of Talksport, when Brazil, McCoist and White only ever talk about Rangers and Celtic. The lad was giving odds for the title and when he mentioned Hearts, Brazil said "Never mind the rest" and cut him off. What chance have we got, when the media everywhere, but especially here, won't promote the rest of Scotland. 

It actually sickens me.

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Hearts and the rest have no chance, when the media don't even try to promote any team other than Rangers and Celtic. You just need to listen to the likes of Talksport, when Brazil, McCoist and White only ever talk about Rangers and Celtic. The lad was giving odds for the title and when he mentioned Hearts, Brazil said "Never mind the rest" and cut him off. What chance have we got, when the media everywhere, but especially here, won't promote the rest of Scotland. 

It actually sickens me.

Theres a lot that could be done, Simon Jordan was talking about a 'Netflix of Football' for the EPL. I.e cutting Sky out and doing it all themselves. I suggested something similar using the strength in numbers that comes via the FOH but on a national level. Neil Doncaster talks about Scotland having the highest attendance per capita in Europe, so why not utilise that?

Sky don't want to give our league money, they want to give the OF money. Prize money for the rest of us is just an inconvenient by product. Dumping Sky and launching a subscription service would be far better and actually restore some pride to our league instead of meekly taking the crumbs they toss our way. I made a topic about it a couple of years ago. 10% of Scottish homes signing up to an SPFL led broadcasting deal would generate around £28m a year if it cost £10 a month. For EPL snobs that only want the OF we could do similar to NowTV/Sky sports day pass and charge £8 for a day pass to watch the OF. The benefit of having such a shit TV deal is that this barely needs to succeed to at least break even. Putting intelligent people that understand the industry in charge and we'd be laughing.

Content could be beefed up by merging some areas of club tv content and wider league developed content (e.g. legends games and friendlies included during the off season). It genuinely has so much potential. Sadly there isn't the ambition at the SPFL to do this. 

6 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Man utd 1 man city 2

Att 68k

VR Att 1. 2m! 

I think the current broadcasting deal would KO any such proposal.

We got the rights to broadcast our own games during Covid but that has been withdrawn again.  Any VR type approach would I believe fail under the current broadcasting deal which only benefits 2 teams.

Edited by frankblack

Just now, frankblack said:

We got the rights to broadcast our own games during Covid but that has been withdrawn again.  Any VR type approach would I believe fail under the current broadcasting deal.

A great reason to dump Sky now and take full control of broadcasting. 

This isn't 2000 anymore. Yes SPL TV crashed and burned, but now with the availability of the internet and the move towards streaming as the norm, there is absolutely the market to move to Internet only and potentially sell games to STV or something on a game by game basis. 

Sky do not want to support Scottish football, their only interest is in two clubs and our TV deal is keeping the rest broke. I'd rather see us try it and fail than continue on with our domestic game lurching from one disaster to the next as we become more irrelevant. 

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, frankblack said:

We got the rights to broadcast our own games during Covid but that has been withdrawn again.  Any VR type approach would I believe fail under the current broadcasting deal which only benefits 2 teams.

Was thinking more medium to long term future.

1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Was thinking more medium to long term future.

As long as we have the same people negotiating the TV deals expect nothing different, and more shit deals for the majority of the clubs.

Bungalow Bill

Remember when 10 of the clubs voted against the TV deal, and the OF voted for it. The media referred to the 10 clubs as ‘the rebel 10’, only in Scotland. 

McGlynn The Money
8 hours ago, Apache Mal said:

Great post.

Not sure about other clubs but at Real Madrid you have to be a member (a socio) to become a season ticket holder. Socios who don't have a season ticket get the chance to buy match tickets a few days before the general public and get a 20% discount.

It's also rather tightly controlled. To become a socio you have to be the child or grandchild of a current socio. 

The socios also vote every five years or so in the club's presidential elections and have a say in other matters. There are other benefits too.

His name is

I don't think we necessarily have to grow out support, it's more a question of how do we get bums on seats.

The cost of football in general is a stumbling block, even more so in the current financial climate.

13 minutes ago, His name is said:

I don't think we necessarily have to grow out support, it's more a question of how do we get bums on seats.

The cost of football in general is a stumbling block, even more so in the current financial climate.

As a member club we could make our feelings known publicly about the current deal. Or flip it into an attack on Doncaster’s lack of ambition. Rangers would support us if nothing else. 

Tbh I've not read the thread. However, we do have the junior jambo thing. My lad was 2 months old and I signed him up.

1 hour ago, His name is said:

I'm sure there was a survey done (maybe 20 years ago) but it was about locality of local residents to Teams.

I remember (or think I remember) Hearts and Wolves had huge percentages of their local areas who identified as supporters but didn't attend games.

In terms of Hearts I have friends, work colleagues etc. who are Hearts fans but rarely if ever go.

We are the very definition of a sleeping giant. I suppose we just have to keep a successful team on the pitch as the support is there to be tapped into.

Lone Striker

You could argue that the emergence of a Hearts Womens team in the SPFL top league  has perhaps grown our support a bit already, if  some new fans have latched on to the Hearts womens games but who don't attend  the mens games.   The same might be true next season in the LL with our B team playing in towns across the Central Belt.  It probably doesn't contribute much in revenue, but it might sway some kids to become Hearts fans in the future.     

The "Donate a ticket to Future Jambos" scheme is a great way to get kids who don't have the opportunity or money to attend Tynecastle  to fall in love with Hearts and become regulars at some point in the future.

The school holiday coaching classes  also seems like a bit of a magnet for youngsters to become future active fans.

The VR headset thingy and esports thingy is way beyond me - sorry  😟 - but I think the board deserve credit for the steps already being taken to grab the attention of new potential fans.

I’d like to see hearts organise some form of pre season friendly whereby all tickets are free and the match was exclusively for u18s. Anyone that was not comfortable going themselves under the age of 18 could be accompanied by 1 adult for free. A way to try and get the younger generation through the doors, for people that maybe had not considered going to a game before but because it was free could take in a match. It would probably cost the club a few thousand in stewarding and maybe a fee to whoever they arranged the match with.

10 hours ago, OTT said:

Theres a lot that could be done, Simon Jordan was talking about a 'Netflix of Football' for the EPL. I.e cutting Sky out and doing it all themselves. I suggested something similar using the strength in numbers that comes via the FOH but on a national level. Neil Doncaster talks about Scotland having the highest attendance per capita in Europe, so why not utilise that?

Sky don't want to give our league money, they want to give the OF money. Prize money for the rest of us is just an inconvenient by product. Dumping Sky and launching a subscription service would be far better and actually restore some pride to our league instead of meekly taking the crumbs they toss our way. I made a topic about it a couple of years ago. 10% of Scottish homes signing up to an SPFL led broadcasting deal would generate around £28m a year if it cost £10 a month. For EPL snobs that only want the OF we could do similar to NowTV/Sky sports day pass and charge £8 for a day pass to watch the OF. The benefit of having such a shit TV deal is that this barely needs to succeed to at least break even. Putting intelligent people that understand the industry in charge and we'd be laughing.

Content could be beefed up by merging some areas of club tv content and wider league developed content (e.g. legends games and friendlies included during the off season). It genuinely has so much potential. Sadly there isn't the ambition at the SPFL to do this. 

The SPFL should have gone all in with summer football, using this year's world cup to bring it in. But for some reason, shite it from Cricket and Rugby league. 

Netflix, Disney, Amazon and Apple could all be approached. I'm sure we'd get a better deal than from Sky.

Edited by ri Alban

Bazzas right boot

Buy hibs. 

In a generation we'll have 30k plus. 

Sorry, I meant merge. 

GD9281808 (2).jpg

Bungalow Bill

Re. my original point of a Hearts membership, separate from FoH, for non season ticket holders. Are there between 10,000-20,000 Hearts fans who would pay £20 a year to be classed as a member which comes with some benefits. Would generate more income for the club and give people a greater sense of belonging to the club. 

• 2 weeks later...