Vernacular

Morgan

Speaking in the vernacular is fine. It’s more than fine.  In fact, it’s normal.

However (and it’s becoming more prevalent everywhere) people are now writing in the vernacular too.

Why is this?  It’s a lazy form of writing and, if truth be told, makes sentences illegible.

Konrad von Carstein

One of the reasons I sacked FB..

lyk = like

Are = our

And so on and so forth...

5 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

One of the reasons I sacked FB..

lyk = like

Are = our

And so on and so forth...

Of = Have.

That does my tits in.

2 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Of = Have.

That does my tits in.

One of my best friends does this constantly. “Nice to see you earlier, we should of gone for a drink” 

Maybe I didn’t go for a drink with you because you’re a dozy cow who doesn’t understand basic use of language! 

been here before

Embra.

No ***** alive or dead had ever pronounced Edinburgh "Embra". Dipshits love to type it though. Makes them ghetto I believe.

Nobody starts a sentence with the ‘wee words’ that make all the difference, the ones that gives the sentence a form of credence or individuality.

Like, ‘I’ or ‘We’ .

They now all begin with words like ‘saw’ or ‘thought’ or ‘was’.

It’s dreadful to read and negates the respectability of the writer.

scott herbertson
24 minutes ago, Morgan said:

However (and it’s becoming more prevalent everywhere) people are now writing in the vernacular too.

Why is this?  It’s a lazy form of writing and, if truth be told, makes sentences illegible.

I think you mean unintelligible*

*Unless you were speaking in the vernacular

1 minute ago, scott herbertson said:

I think you mean unintelligible*

*Unless you were speaking in the vernacular

Well that’s a shot across the bows. 

Edited by Tazio

‘My thoughts too’ 

:vrface:

‘First thing I thought of’

:facepalm:

‘Heard from’

:jj_facepalm:

4 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Well that’s a shot across the bows. 

Was going to say that.  

🤓

crunchy frog

"A thought a was gonnae...."

Why type an A instead of an I it takes the same amount of time you ****ing illiterate glonk?

**** off.

25 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Was going to say that.  

🤓

I have to ask.  Who is your new avatar?  Dorothy Parker was wrong about women wearing glasses.

Everyone should be taught a universal sign language, throughout the world and then we could all communicate , wherever we go. 

And I don't really care about grammar, as it's not compulsory, and people should be taught Scots as we're Scots, not Inglis.

4 hours ago, crunchy frog said:

"A thought a was gonnae...."

Why type an A instead of an I it takes the same amount of time you ****ing illiterate glonk?

**** off.

A is I, I is one and one is A. Now you take your own advice.

crunchy frog
4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

A is I, I is one and one is A. Now you take your own advice.

WTF are you on about

The White Cockade
17 hours ago, Morgan said:

u ok hun?

17 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

I have to ask.  Who is your new avatar?  Dorothy Parker was wrong about women wearing glasses.

The lady, Ron, is our best friend.

She lives and works in California, where she is a professor at the University of San Francisco.  She is also an adjunct professor in Beirut (where we first met her).

She’s the most interesting person we’ve ever known, as well as being the kindest.

Lone Striker

tbf (ooops...  there's a modern one), it's gotten (... and another 🤬) to the stage where some folk who know  pwoppa  (....yep)  grammar'n'stuff (....oh, stop it)   just do it to fit in.  Lowest common denominator, ken like'say.   😎

My pal's a grammar pedant (worse than me) and some of our verbal and written chats descend into this stuff for a laugh, or to mimic some footballer interviews - definAtely, bite your hand off,  boys done good, etc   

Aware of a few people on social media who like to type everything in Scots. It's like trying to read something out the ****ing Broon's. Got to come a time where it actually becomes harder to type that way than it does to just type normally.

4 hours ago, Morgan said:

The lady, Ron, is our best friend.

She lives and works in California, where she is a professor at the University of San Francisco.  She is also an adjunct professor in Beirut (where we first met her).

She’s the most interesting person we’ve ever known, as well as being the kindest.

Smart, interesting, kind, and beautiful.  A winning combination.  :loved:

Let me go check on flights from Toronto to San Francisco. :wink:

36 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Smart, interesting, kind, and beautiful.  A winning combination.  :loved:

Let me go check on flights from Toronto to San Francisco. :wink:

Your flight money would be wasted.

Her wife (sorry) would have something to say about a big, hunky Scotsman showing up at her door.

:sad:   Such a waste.

33 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Her wife (sorry) would have something to say about a big, hunky Scotsman showing up at her door.

You're lucky to have her as a friend. :thumb:

I have a bunch of friends in the LGBTQ community, male and female, and I enjoy being in their company.  We might play on different teams, but they sure know how to throw a great party.

Now I should stop posting off topic!  :buttkick:

Seymour M Hersh
9 hours ago, Morgan said:

I'm sure it's not for her wife.

When I saw the thread title I thought Morgan was coming over all architecture buff on us. 

McGlynn The Money
9 hours ago, Morgan said:

Casual, lazy homophobia is worse than writing in the vernacular.

jack D and coke
On 18/06/2022 at 22:43, Morgan said:

Nobody starts a sentence with the ‘wee words’ that make all the difference, the ones that gives the sentence a form of credence or individuality.

Like, ‘I’ or ‘We’ .

They now all begin with words like ‘saw’ or ‘thought’ or ‘was’.

It’s dreadful to read and negates the respectability of the writer.

It’s people who start a sentence with “So” that need a chair violently crashed over their head for me.
Or people that can’t understand the difference between where and were. 

Seething it gets me. 

been here before
1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

It’s people who start a sentence with “So” that need a chair violently crashed over their head for me.

Seething it gets me. 

Its bad enough when starting a sentence with "so" while you're talking. However you can almost understand the ridiculous affectation if you view it as a means of buying time when answering a question. Almost.

What is utterly reprehensible is the ludicrous use of it when writing a sentence when you have all the time in the world to gather your thoughts.

JudyJudyJudy
7 hours ago, McGlynn The Money said:

Casual, lazy homophobia is worse than writing in the vernacular.

Nice to see someone else noticed that .👍

JudyJudyJudy

How instead of “ why “

Annoys me slightly  but I’m with ri al I really don’t really give a damn about the rights and wrongs of grammar . I like the some of the new linguistic language actually . 

McGlynn The Money
15 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

It's disappointing but sadly not surprising from that poster.

9 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I'm sure it's not for her wife.

When I saw the thread title I thought Morgan was coming over all architecture buff on us. 

2 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Well, thanks you two.  👍

Talk about jumping on the bandwagon!  I’m hardly likely to describe this wonderful lady as my ‘best friend’ if I am homophobic, now am I?

I was having a wee laugh with Ron, that’s all.

As for McGlynn, he’s just all over the place trying to have a dig and therefore doesn’t even deserve a direct response from me.

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Well, thanks you two.  👍

Talk about jumping on the bandwagon!  I’m hardly likely to describe this wonderful lady as my ‘best friend’ if I am homophobic, now am I?

I was having a wee laugh with Ron, that’s all.

As for McGlynn, he’s just all over the place trying to have a dig and therefore doesn’t even deserve a direct response from me.

It was more about the “ such a waste”

comment really Morgan I know your fine with the gays and never encountered homophobia from you , however that comment was , whilst mild was suspect. 

16 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

comment really Morgan I know your fine with the gays and never encountered homophobia from you , however that comment was , whilst mild was suspect. 

I can see how it looked 'suspect'.  My wee joke with Ron has clearly backfired.

Seymour M Hersh
1 minute ago, Morgan said:

I can see how it looked 'suspect'.  My wee joke with Ron has clearly backfired.

The Castle effect.:laugh2:

3 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

The Castle effect.:laugh2:

What a surprise!

You mentioning that.  :facepalm:

Seymour M Hersh
4 minutes ago, Morgan said:

What a surprise!

You mentioning that.  :facepalm:

You know you'd do the same if the situation was reversed. :laugh2:

1 minute ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

You know you'd do the same if the situation was reversed. :laugh2:

Darn right I would.  :biggrin:

5 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Seething it gets me. 

👍

There, their and they’re are other crackers!  🙄

McGlynn The Money
1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yes, that was what I was referring to as well. It may be a joke to the perpetrator but I have seen first hand the hurt that careless remarks like that can cause.

Konrad von Carstein
3 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

My dear departed mum, for whatever reason, had a huge crush on Freddie Mercury.

She often opine much the same sentiment as @Morgan expressed whenever he appeared on telly. (She was in denial when we broke it to her that he was a FoD.) :lol:

Are we at the point now where we have to walk on eggshells when discussing any topic?

It was clear that Morgan's post was in no way being even slightly homophobic.

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

My dear departed mum, for whatever reason, had a huge crush on Freddie Mercury.

She often opine much the same sentiment as @Morgan expressed whenever he appeared on telly. (She was in denial when we broke it to her that he was a FoD.) :lol:

Are we at the point now where we have to walk on eggshells when discussing any topic?

It was clear that Morgan's post was in no way being even slightly homophobic.

No it’s not about “ walking on eggshells “ it’s about being sensitive to use of language . I didn’t challenge it initially as I’m fed up being the only gay in the village , challenging mild to blatant homophobia . I also didn’t challenge it as I know Morgan , well as much as one can on this and he seems a good guy who has a great sense of humour ,

It was positive to see someone else challenge the comment because no matter what you think , saying “ what a waste “ regarding a person personal choice in relationships can be viewed as homophobic and hurtful . It invalidates the persons relationship . 

Konrad von Carstein
1 minute ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

No it’s not about “ walking on eggshells “ it’s about being sensitive to use of language . I didn’t challenge it initially as I’m fed up being the only gay in the village , challenging mild to blatant homophobia . I also didn’t challenge it as I know Morgan , well as much as one can on this and he seems a good guy who has a great sense of humour ,

It was positive to see someone else challenge the comment because no matter what you think , saying “ what a waste “ regarding a person personal choice in relationships can be viewed as homophobic and hurtful . It invalidates the persons relationship . 

So being gay is a personal choice now.

I'm kidding, before you flip your lid.

This is a football fans forum, football fans are well known to be "blokey" shall we say, so it shouldn't come as a surprise when lines are occasionally crossed.

I get your point but I felt it was unnecessary, given the poster AND the backstory.

JudyJudyJudy
11 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

This is a football fans forum, football fans are well known to be "blokey" shall we say, so it shouldn't come as a surprise when lines are occasionally crossed.

I get your point but I felt it was unnecessary, given the poster AND the backstory.

Which poster and what back story ? 

McGlynn The Money
11 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Not sure which poster you're referring to but if it's the one who posted 105 times (the next highest poster came in at 54 posts) on a thread entitled Tit Monday then I don't think he could be mistaken for the most enlightened soul on this forum. 

Comments like "what a waste" in respect of a woman in a same sex relationship just underline that impression.

Konrad von Carstein
4 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Which poster and what back story ? 

Morgan and his deep friendship with the woman in his avatar 

Are you on Absynth the night?