The Damned

PTBCAL

Anyone there tonight?

Quite enjoyed it but Assembly Rooms was for me a strange venue for a band like the Damned. 

Original line up as well.  

Any of JKBs finest there tonight? 

Edited by PTBCAL

Footballfirst
15 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

Anyone there tonight?

Quite enjoyed it but Assembly Rooms was for me a strange venue for a band like the Damned. 

I wasn't there personally, but my mate was, and he managed to get back to my local for last orders.

He thought the gig was OK but not great.

As you suggest the Assembly Rooms isn't the sort of venue you would associate with bands like The Damned.  However, punk and rock bands of a certain vintage are becoming much more "establishment" figures these days.

55 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Original line up?  

:notsure:

Original line up gigs were rescheduled for October onwards.

It was, wasn't it ?

8 minutes ago, Boab said:

It was, wasn't it ?

Dunno,  wasn't there.  

Current info I can see suggests the original gigs start in Oct and tour promotions for gigs now depict the current band.  Maybe there was a late change?

Was Capt playing guitar or bass?  Was Brian James there?

3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Dunno,  wasn't there.  

Current info I can see suggests the original gigs start in Oct and tour promotions for gigs now depict the current band.  Maybe there was a late change?

Was Capt playing guitar or bass?  Was Brian James there?

The guy who was there said it was so he's better placed to say I reckon.

14 minutes ago, Boab said:

The guy who was there said it was so he's better placed to say I reckon.

I didn't say he was wrong.  I questioned.  Note the use of these... ???

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Original line up?  

:notsure:

Original line up gigs were rescheduled for October onwards.

I think it was - hard to say for sure as there was little interaction between the band and audience 

However the drummer was a new guy so possibly not.

I’m not sure now ffs 🤦‍♂️ 🤣

7 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

I think it was - hard to say for sure as there was little interaction between the band and audience 

Well, that clears that up !

😂

👍

11 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

Was Cap on guitar or bass?  

The current band has been without a permanent drummer for a while after Pinch left.  Was this new guy a newish looking man or a nearly 70 year old,  Rat Scabies shaped dude?

Twitter page suggests current band.  Tour dates photo depicts current band without drummer.  Subsequent tweet refers to Cap on guitar.  A reference to USA gigs played with Troy Van Leeuwen on guitar because Cap is an anti-vaxxer therefore could not go.

It's a relief because missing seeing Brian James would have been a scunner.  Bucket list stuff.

The Natural Order

I was there. It wasn't the original line up, they tour at the end of the year after being rescheduled due to covid.

It was a decent gig. The band themselves were good but the sound in the Assembly Rooms is terrible. Everything just echoes.

Looking forward to seeing the originals in Glasgow in November.

I was there too.

Everyone I spoke to agreed the sound was awful.  Too loud and breaking up.

Line up was current band, which is largely lineup for The Black Album and Strawberries.

Dave Vanian 

Captain Sensible

Paul Gray

Monty Oxymoron

+ new drummer

I am not interested in the original lineup shows.  Overpriced and limited to the first two albums.

19 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I was there too.

Line up was current band, which is largely lineup for The Black Album and Strawberries.

Dave Vanian 

Captain Sensible

Paul Gray

Monty Oxymoron

+ new drummer

I am not interested in the original lineup shows.  Overpriced and limited to the first two albums.

To be fair,  the badly produced 2nd album has some strong songs that the original band (+ Lu Edmunds) played live very differently.  They were strong live songs.  James has been obsessed for years about that 2nd album.  Searching for the masters,  which are missing,  to completely re-produce it.  I hope they end up re-recording the whole thing.

49 minutes ago, Victorian said:

To be fair,  the badly produced 2nd album has some strong songs that the original band (+ Lu Edmunds) played live very differently.  They were strong live songs.  James has been obsessed for years about that 2nd album.  Searching for the masters,  which are missing,  to completely re-produce it.  I hope they end up re-recording the whole thing.

Fair enough.  To me the next three were their strongest material.

I've seen them do the first album a number of times so its kind of overplayed.

2 hours ago, frankblack said:

I was there too.

Dave Vanian 

Captain Sensible

Paul Gray

Monty Oxymoron

+ new drummer

Likewise.

I would have went to the Glasgow show but 75 sheets is taking the piss.

1 hour ago, Boab said:

Likewise.

I would have went to the Glasgow show but 75 sheets is taking the piss.

This. I wouldn't even pay that for SLF! 

maroonlegions

Last night.Picture from that gig in Edinburgh. I seen the Manic Street Preachers there this year and their sound was brilliant. I am a drummer in a punk band, done gigs too and i thought the sound was decent. 

When i seen them live this year it was at the Liquid Rooms, it was fecking briiliant. What a sound and the first punk band to release a single  called New Rose.

288796264_5164445700302737_8447520327272663461_n.jpg

Edited by maroonlegions

I've seen them a few times at Liquid Rooms and at Barrowland way back (original line up too) but this looks a wee bit insipid i'm afraid :sad:. Can feel the lack of atmosphere just looking at the picture.

maroonlegions
6 minutes ago, EH11_2NL said:

I've seen them a few times at Liquid Rooms and at Barrowland way back (original line up too) but this looks a wee bit insipid i'm afraid :sad:. Can feel the lack of atmosphere just looking at the picture.

Aye back in the day i seen them a lot, in the days  of Machine Gun Etiquette   and Strawberries. Lots of great wee gigs down England. 

Edited by maroonlegions

They don't have the same energetic sound from the various heydays of the past and I'm not a big fan of DV's singing style on what should be punk songs.  He's better on the psychedelia / garage stuff.  Sensible's guitars aren't as good anymore but he was terrific in the 80s.

maroonlegions
7 minutes ago, Victorian said:

They don't have the same energetic sound from the various heydays of the past and I'm not a big fan of DV's singing style on what should be punk songs.  He's better on the psychedelia / garage stuff.  Sensible's guitars aren't as good anymore but he was terrific in the 80s.

Mmm. That time at the LIquid Rooms Sensible was first on stage, i was down the front at the stage, he came on with a can off beer ,finished it and then proceed to slide it up and down his threats on his guitar. Sounded great i must add. He was doing something with that can but it was great.    New Rose, Smash It Up and LOve Song were brilliant too. When was the last time you seen them live. 

Edited by maroonlegions

2 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Mmm. That time at the LIquid Rooms Sensible was first on stage, i was down the front at the stage, he came on with a can off beer ,finished it and then proceed to slide it up and down his threats on his guitar. Sounded great i must add. He was doing something with that can but it was great.   

Live at the Newcastle Mayfair is your friend for best Sensible axe work.  

maroonlegions
4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Live at the Newcastle Mayfair is your friend for best Sensible axe work.  

Or can work.:smuggy:

4 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Going to see PiL in Bristol Saturday . 

They were brilliant in Leeds last week, so was Brix Smith and her band.

The Ultimate Worrier
19 hours ago, PTBCAL said:

Anyone there tonight?

One of my mates got me a ticket but the other half wants to go to the pictures tonight.

I feel like I'm the damned if I do and the damned if I don't.

On 16/06/2022 at 19:07, The Ultimate Worrier said:

One of my mates got me a ticket but the other half wants to go to the pictures tonight.

I feel like I'm the damned if I do and the damned if I don't.

🤣

Damned and Skids together in London Oct 22

Im a big Skids fan tbh 

the general
47 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

🤣

Damned and Skids together in London Oct 22

Im a big Skids fan tbh 

Sometimes you don't half surprise me in a good way .. hopefully the West End facilitated this in some way.

Assembly Rooms is crap though .. saw New Order and Spandau Ballet there amongst others

15 minutes ago, the general said:

Sometimes you don't half surprise me in a good way .. hopefully the West End facilitated this in some way.

Assembly Rooms is crap though .. saw New Order and Spandau Ballet there amongst others

Thanks Uncle K 😉

• 4 months later...

Anyway,  tonight is the night.  The first of 5 original line-up gigs.  First time on stage together since 1991 when Brian James walked off a US reunion tour after a pagger with Cap.  Seemingly,  up until a few days ago,  they've been rehearsing in 2s to avoid the chance of more disagreements or past grudges spilling over.  Mainly Cap/DV vs Rat.

Looking forward to some YouTube footage soon and then hopefully an official live album and DVD.  

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Anyway,  tonight is the night.  The first of 5 original line-up gigs.  First time on stage together since 1991 when Brian James walked off a US reunion tour after a pagger with Cap.  Seemingly,  up until a few days ago,  they've been rehearsing in 2s to avoid the chance of more disagreements or past grudges spilling over.  Mainly Cap/DV vs Rat.

Looking forward to some YouTube footage soon and then hopefully an official live album and DVD.  

I'm more interested in current line up, which is 3 members from Strawberries and Black Album era.