Edinburgh City

Newton51

What was wrong with reviving Meadowbank Thistle and incorporating into a hybrid like Meadowbank City. Or Edinburgh Thistle.

With a motto of we own this City

So no longer a nickname of the citizens then? 

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooks

• Locky

• Chuck Berry

• PortyBeach

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Restonbabe said:

What was wrong with reviving Meadowbank Thistle and incorporating into a hybrid like Meadowbank City. Or Edinburgh Thistle.

With a motto of we own this City

So no longer a nickname of the citizens then? 

Meadowbank Thistle is Livingston 

4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Meadowbank Thistle is Livingston 

Do you think Livingston own the naming rights for Meadowbank Thistle though? Genuine question btw, I don't know myself. Did cross my mind though.

Just had a look at the “Pie & Bovril” site where there’s an “Edinburgh City” fan talking about the club’s plight: 

“We're close to Hibs so maybe a groundshare”.

Is this “close to Hibs” view prevalent? 
Surely, it’s not commercially savvy for a club in their position to alienate potential “floating” fans in the form of Hearts supporters by putting it out there that they’re “close to Hibs”?

15 hours ago, Locky said:

Do you think Livingston own the naming rights for Meadowbank Thistle though? Genuine question btw, I don't know myself. Did cross my mind though.

Probably not but they should not take the name of a totally different albeit gone club

53 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Probably not but they should not take the name of a totally different albeit gone club

Would be a bit gimmicky,  but its a name with history (lets not forget that's exactly how this incarnation of Edinburgh City came about in the first place) and I know for a fact that a decent number of Thistle fans switched allegiances to City when they became Livi and City took over at Meadowbank.

2 minutes ago, Locky said:

Would be a bit gimmicky,  but its a name with history (lets not forget that's exactly how this incarnation of Edinburgh City came about in the first place) and I know for a fact that a decent number of Thistle fans switched allegiances to City when they became Livi and City took over at Meadowbank.

I suppose .................. is all a bit murky though right enough as well as the example you give there are the shady shenanigans of 

Rangers - Sevco

Airdrionians - East Stirlingshire - UCS - Clydebank - Airdrie UTD - Airdrionians

Wimbledon - MK Dons - FC Wimbledon

Paris Saint Germain - Paris FC - Stade St Germain

to name but a few

Saint Jambo
1 hour ago, PortyBeach said:

Just had a look at the “Pie & Bovril” site where there’s an “Edinburgh City” fan talking about the club’s plight: 

Surely, it’s not commercially savvy for a club in their position to alienate potential “floating” fans in the form of Hearts supporters by putting it out there that they’re “close to Hibs”?

The second post on this thread is an Evening News tweet saying the club were going to update their fans on a partnership with Hibs. Someone else posted that Hibs were looking to use Meadowbank for women's games (and possibly youth games, I can't remember).

I agree for a club that has had a marketing strategy of attracting fans from Hearts and Hibs to their games, it seems a strange move to form a partnership with one of those clubs.

Hungry hippo

Is that not a fan just pointing out that Meadowbank is fairly close to Easter Road?

I mean, as the crow flies they can't get much closer to Hibs. 🤷‍♂️

I'm a 'floating' fan in the sense that I live close to Meadowbank and if I'm at a loose end I would go an watch them. Doesn't bother me in the slightest if they have some sort of connection with Hibs. It's not uncommon for lower league clubs to become affiliated with bigger clubs on their doorstep. Hibs became affiliated with Spartans a few years back (don't think that would've necessarily stopped Hearts fans who watch them) and there was talk maybe we'd latch on to City but the club never did for whatever reason. 

Said it earlier in the thread, the partnership will probably go little further than Hibs paying FCE a nominal fee, sending some youth players on loan, and a friendly which FCE keep gate receipts for. Doesn't put me off them in the slightest.

1 minute ago, Hungry hippo said:

Is that not a fan just pointing out that Meadowbank is fairly close to Easter Road?

😆 Hadn’t thought of that, I must admit. 
In my defence, there does seem to have been talk of some sort of link with Hibs discussed (see, for example, “Saint Jambo’s” post above).

But yes, the guy I quoted may just have been making a geographical reference…

• 1 year later...

After 5 straight league defeats to start the season the 4-1 humping, at home to East Kilbride today, in the Challenge Cup, could well see Alan Maybury given his jotters. 

Placid Casual

Only realised a couple of weeks ago that they changed their name back to Edinburgh City. What a farce, with the name changes and stadium situation.

Edited by Placid Casual

They have a strong following but mainly east-side lads. Apparently had a big scrap with Hamilton crew in a cup match  early doors a few weeks ago. 

4 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

After 5 straight league defeats to start the season the 4-1 humping, at home to East Kilbride today, in the Challenge Cup, could well see Alan Maybury given his jotters. 

Think I read they'd made a few changes so not sure how serious they were taking it, but if they've not picked up points soon enough he will be.

August Landmesser
10 hours ago, Sooks said:

Are they still playing at the new Meadowbank in front of a tiny stand miles away from the pitch 

Yes

13 hours ago, Sooks said:

Are they still playing at the new Meadowbank in front of a tiny stand miles away from the pitch 

I've not been but have seen photos of fans now being allowed directly behind the goals this season which is an improvement.

5 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

I've not been but have seen photos of fans now being allowed directly behind the goals this season which is an improvement.

Thats better for them I guess . The new Meadowbank was a dreadful idea in my opinion . They should have gone ahead with the plans at Sighthill

On 22/06/2022 at 09:20, Saint Jambo said:

The second post on this thread is an Evening News tweet saying the club were going to update their fans on a partnership with Hibs. Someone else posted that Hibs were looking to use Meadowbank for women's games (and possibly youth games, I can't remember).

I agree for a club that has had a marketing strategy of attracting fans from Hearts and Hibs to their games, it seems a strange move to form a partnership with one of those clubs.

Exactly. The City owners have shown their true colours and been overtly Hibs-leaning.

So, in my view, **** them. 

• 3 months later...
31 minutes ago, Rick James said:

Didn’t know if it was worth starting a new thread but seems City are ****ed.  Administration seems imminent.

Oh really? That's a shame, but they were Hibs leaning!

On 10/09/2023 at 21:58, PortyBeach said:

Exactly. The City owners have shown their true colours and been overtly Hibs-leaning.

So, in my view, **** them. 

Yes, brought it on themselves when they decided to end any relationship with Hearts. They were getting players on loan for next to nothing. 

No idea if it has anything to do with fans stopping an association because of their tie in with Hibs or not . If it is then you do have to question the owners logic in aligning themselves with one of the two big Edinburgh sides . Maybe nothing to do with that though of course . In the thread I started on the front page I ask this very thing , how many supporters of clubs like City are also Hearts or Hibs supporters 

When you rely on one man to pump the money in, you have to be prepared for when he gets bored and walks away. 

Edinburgh City are a club two, perhaps three levels above where they should be.  A club who had 50 fans in the Lowland League. They would have been back there by now had Tracey not pumped in money to keep them up.

6 minutes ago, R9. said:

There is one guy in my work who is a Hearts St holder and contributes into the FOH but he doesn’t go to Hearts games and goes to see Fc Edinburgh or City whatever their called.

So GOOD! Another bit of misery coming his way overbearing twat 😂

:lol: 

You see where I am coming from eh 

tartofmidlothian
7 hours ago, Rick James said:

Didn’t know if it was worth starting a new thread but seems City are ****ed.  Administration seems imminent.

Where are you seeing this? I believe you, I just want to read more.

4 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

They played the kids on Saturday pretty much as 9 first team players refused to play,Stirling Albion were 1/5 to win the game come kick off time after being lumped on 

17 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

When you rely on one man to pump the money in, you have to be prepared for when he gets bored and walks away. 

Edinburgh City are a club two, perhaps three levels above where they should be.  A club who had 50 fans in the Lowland League. They would have been back there by now had Tracey not pumped in money to keep them up.

Why did he walk away?

32 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Why did he walk away?

No idea, I just know that he wanted rid, almost sold the club to Spartans I believe before a fans consortium took control.

2 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

No idea, I just know that he wanted rid, almost sold the club to Spartans I believe before a fans consortium took control.

Not good for their future bring fan owned. 🥸

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

I am guessing there is probably a “ save city “ thread on the Hibs forum ? What with them being bezza mates and all that …………….. 

🤭

17 hours ago, rory78 said:

They played the kids on Saturday pretty much as 9 first team players refused to play,Stirling Albion were 1/5 to win the game come kick off time after being lumped on 

No they didn't. They played their full strength fit team...they did however release 10 youngsters on Thursday.

gordon simpson
On 11/12/2023 at 11:07, Rick James said:

hope you are right ,the last thing Scottish football needs is more football clubs 

Just now, gordon simpson said:

hope you are right ,the last thing Scottish football needs is more football clubs 

They will just fill the spot to keep the leagues the same number.  Probably not have a playoff for SPFL entry to protect the bottom l2 club.  

20 hours ago, tartofmidlothian said:

The Sun posted an article last week reporting about the club not paying wages. As a result, City fielded a young side vs Stirling Albion on Saturday. Other than that, there's not a lot of coverage on this tbh, not even a statement from the club. The P&B thread however is worth a read through. I've linked it below from the page where it all comes up. A few on there who seem to be genuine City fans and they don't sound confident at all.

https://forum.pieandbovril.com/topic/231232-edinburgh-city/page/324/#comments

2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

They will just fill the spot to keep the leagues the same number.  Probably not have a playoff for SPFL entry to protect the bottom l2 club.  

That's exactly what would happen sadly. Lowland vs Highland play-off as normal but winner goes straight up with no relegation. Would be much better if both tier 5 league winners came straight up and bottom of League 2 was automatically relegated but that won't happen as that safety net is the only way League 2 clubs even agree to the opening of the pyramid.

• 2 weeks later...
gorgierulesapply88
41 minutes ago, Hesh said:

Sounding gubbed, out the dev league and players released 

Woman's team gone too.

I mentioned on socials about their youth section not being affiliated but had the same name. They where 80k in debt at the time. Chairman Jim brown denied this at the time of the club name change still not sure who's books where 88k in debt if youth section or the club given they weren't affiliated. 

Good riddance to them.

• davemclaren changed the title to Edinburgh City
1 hour ago, gorgierulesapply88 said:

Woman's team gone too.

I mentioned on socials about their youth section not being affiliated but had the same name. They where 80k in debt at the time. Chairman Jim brown denied this at the time of the club name change still not sure who's books where 88k in debt if youth section or the club given they weren't affiliated. 

Good riddance to them.

Ah the Celtic defence.

Footballfirst
19 minutes ago, iain ferguson said:

They have just pulled the plug on the women’s team to save money. 

And their development side

https://edinburghcityfc.com/club-update/

The board and I have been carrying out a full assessment of all football operations, and sadly given the financial pressures on the club, we have taken the extremely difficult decision to withdraw our Lowland League Development and SWF Championship teams with immediate effect. Both moves are necessary, but nevertheless painful, however my expectation is that these are temporary measures, while the club stabilises and re-groups. SWF and the Lowland League have been made aware of our position and I appreciate their disappointment, given the disruption these moves will bring. 

Fxxx the SPFL

Edinburgh City had a great club next to playhouse don’t know what it sold for but friends of mine were members and were told they would receive a decent wedge from the sale they got nothing and city are now based ao the old Loch Inn down Lochend and couple of old lads I spoke to in the Scots Guards Club at the weekend said that they stopped going when it moved to Lochend both Hibbies but said they didn’t like the area no surprise there.

1 hour ago, **** the SPFL said:

Edinburgh City had a great club next to playhouse don’t know what it sold for but friends of mine were members and were told they would receive a decent wedge from the sale they got nothing and city are now based ao the old Loch Inn down Lochend and couple of old lads I spoke to in the Scots Guards Club at the weekend said that they stopped going when it moved to Lochend both Hibbies but said they didn’t like the area no surprise there.

I think the club is totally separate from the new Edinburgh City football club.