Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooks

• Locky

• Chuck Berry

• PortyBeach

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Turkishcap said:

They didnt own their name, lawyers advised a change.

From Wikipedia:

A club called Postal United was founded in 1966 and joined the East of Scotland League. Their best league finish was third in 1985–86, having won the Qualifying Cup in 1982–83 and King Cup in 1984–85.

The Edinburgh City Football Club Ltd.,[5] which had continued trading as a social club since the football club stopped playing, gave their approval in 1986 for Postal United to use the Edinburgh City name.

Surely the social club weren't threatening the football club with any legal action?

Just now, Locky said:

From Wikipedia:

A club called Postal United was founded in 1966 and joined the East of Scotland League. Their best league finish was third in 1985–86, having won the Qualifying Cup in 1982–83 and King Cup in 1984–85.

The Edinburgh City Football Club Ltd.,[5] which had continued trading as a social club since the football club stopped playing, gave their approval in 1986 for Postal United to use the Edinburgh City name.

Surely the social club weren't threatening the football club with any legal action?

They said that the social club had a letter to the football club saying they had permission to use the name but were worried this wasn’t reliable or social club could change mind. Sounds like a fall out. They kept saying Edinburgh is the brand as have that above the number in the back of their strip but then on the other hand saying meadowbank is their spiritual home so could have incorporated that instead 

4 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

They said that the social club had a letter to the football club saying they had permission to use the name but were worried this wasn’t reliable or social club could change mind. Sounds like a fall out. They kept saying Edinburgh is the brand as have that above the number in the back of their strip but then on the other hand saying meadowbank is their spiritual home so could have incorporated that instead 

Could've revived the old Meadowbank Thistle. Believe a lot of the old Thistle fans switched to City as it seemed the natural change when the former became Livi.

All a bit of a weird one really. Be interesting to see if there's some sort of statement from the social club. Really don't understand why they'd prevent or take action against them using the Edinburgh City brand when you look at their current position. All weird timing. So what does the future hold for Edinburgh City? Will they continue on as an amateur team? Will we see effectively 2 Edinburgh City's in the future, similar to the likes of Belenenses in Portugal, CSKA Sofia in Bulgaria or Steaua in Romania? **** knows really. 

13 minutes ago, Locky said:

The new badge btw. :cornette:

image.png.e6b1071e42fe6e4ddac21855e42982fa.png

Edinburgh Castle, flag of Edinburgh, star makes it look a bit rebellious! Maybe enough for copywright …

63903DCA-E98D-4467-BC33-90BE883B601D.jpeg

329FC61B-3F96-4DC5-A0D3-54AF96B8C46A.jpeg

23 hours ago, Sooks said:

Hope this is a failure too because I do not particularly like having to wish liquidation on them but for as long as they have any ties to Hibs I do and will

I wasn’t aware of any formal link to Hibs.

Doesn’t surprise me though. I recall that after Hibs’ cup win in 2016, City arranged a pre-season friendly with Hibs, essentially so that Hibs could parade the trophy.

It struck me at the time that a new Edinburgh football league club looking to make friends, would have arranged a match against, say, a Hearts/Hibs select side.

But it seems that clearly, those in charge at City, are Hibs-facing. 

Find it extremely hard to find anything against the club. They're a small club who have worked their up the divisions and are no threat to us. I don't really see them as being Hibs-related. Any connections like that tend to be short lived and, as said, they had JJ as Director of Football for a few years and Gary Naysmith as manager until recently.

That being said, FC Edinburgh is an absolutely terrible name.

10 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Edinburgh Castle, flag of Edinburgh, star makes it look a bit rebellious! Maybe enough for copywright …

63903DCA-E98D-4467-BC33-90BE883B601D.jpeg

329FC61B-3F96-4DC5-A0D3-54AF96B8C46A.jpeg

It just looks like something I'd expect to see from an amateur team. The castle looks pretty much the same as it did on the old badge, it's not really that which is the problem. I thought they had a really smart badge before. Modern but still honouring its traditions. This new one just looks like something knocked up PhotoShop in 5 minutes as opposed to the badge of a club now playing in the 3rd tier of Scottish football.

4 minutes ago, Stanley_ said:

Find it extremely hard to find anything against the club. They're a small club who have worked their up the divisions and are no threat to us. I don't really see them as being Hibs-related. Any connections like that tend to be short lived and, as said, they had JJ as Director of Football for a few years and Gary Naysmith as manager until recently.

That being said, FC Edinburgh is an absolutely terrible name.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest if this thing with Hibs happens tbh. They're a lower league club in a city with 2 massive clubs on their doorstep. Its only natural that they're going to try and tie in with one of them to help themselves out. Money spinning friendly each summer and a few loanees is probably about as far as a partnership will go and given their location within the city, Hibs makes a bit more sense. 

People acting like they're going to change to green and white shirts and stick a harp on the badge. :lol: I'm almost certain we'll have a youngster still on loan there next season.

FC Edinburgh hahaha what a shambles.

Totally pish name, badge and green in the colours means I’m out.

Couldn't give one **** about them.

Glamorgan Jambo

How is the partnership between Hibs and Brighton going? And the one between Hibs and Spartans? And the one between Hibs and Charleston Battery??

1 hour ago, Armageddon said:

👍

The "FC" stands for something else, afaic. 

2 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

I wasn’t aware of any formal link to Hibs.

Doesn’t surprise me though. I recall that after Hibs’ cup win in 2016, City arranged a pre-season friendly with Hibs, essentially so that Hibs could parade the trophy.

It struck me at the time that a new Edinburgh football league club looking to make friends, would have arranged a match against, say, a Hearts/Hibs select side.

But it seems that clearly, those in charge at City, are Hibs-facing. 

Get them in the bin 

4 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Home strip all white and away all black. Star in badge was for being first club out of lowland league into spfl set up. They did have a “glamour” friendly with Hibs but been cancelled due to delays at meadowbank from Edinburgh leisure and council.

Ultimately I don't care but absolutely terrible rebranding. Poor name, awful badge.

Also too close to football club of Edinburgh (arguably Edinburgh's oldest team). 

All round very poor. 

19 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

Is Meadowbank ready for them to move in for the start of the season?

The stand and pitch will be ready, but the sports centre unlikely and this is the problem. The club is awaiting information from the Council, but have told them that all they require is a couple of temporary changing rooms and that any delays to the sports centre should not stop them accessing the ground for matches. They are in limbo, but the chairman has said that there are options to play elsewhere on a short term basis. I understand that Spartans is not one of the options, but I could be wrong.

By the way, I fully with all the comments on the name change. It's terrible.

Hungry hippo
4 minutes ago, henryheart said:

The stand and pitch will be ready, but the sports centre unlikely and this is the problem. The club is awaiting information from the Council, but have told them that all they require is a couple of temporary changing rooms and that any delays to the sports centre should not stop them accessing the ground for matches. They are in limbo, but the chairman has said that there are options to play elsewhere on a short term basis. I understand that Spartans is not one of the options, but I could be wrong.

By the way, I fully with all the comments on the name change. It's terrible.

Thanks

Unknown user
10 hours ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

How is the partnership between Hibs and Brighton going? And the one between Hibs and Spartans? And the one between Hibs and Charleston Battery??

Charleston Battery :laugh2:

been here before

On 15/06/2022 at 23:03, Sooks said:

Are they not happily taking the scabby green and white length from the east these days ? I think some one on here mentioned that

On 15/06/2022 at 23:09, Sooks said:

Hope this is a failure too because I do not particularly like having to wish liquidation on them but for as long as they have any ties to Hibs I do and will

On 15/06/2022 at 23:29, Sooks said:

Green and white away strip next ? Get them in the bin 

On 16/06/2022 at 10:36, Sooks said:

Shitty Hibs feeder teams can gtf. 

Lovely that the Uber fan is so triggered by me though 🙂 

On 16/06/2022 at 13:06, Sooks said:

Yea previously although I seem to recall it died like a gimpy fledgling with a broken wing after a very short period …………… this is their next attempt to take a smaller local club under their shite weather torn umbrella . Youth player exchanges ect . Sorry if my stance upsets any one other than Mr Uber but that is not for me thanks and I say that as some one who has been to see them play and who has a signed shirt from Craig Beattie 😄 

Any more information regarding their "taking the scabby green and white length from the east these days", the "ties they have with Hibs", their green and white away strip, them being "a shitty Hibs feeder club" or the "youth player exchanges"?

You seem to be the only one who knows about all this.

25 minutes ago, been here before said:

Any more information regarding their "taking the scabby green and white length from the east these days", the "ties they have with Hibs", their green and white away strip, them being "a shitty Hibs feeder club" or the "youth player exchanges"?

Not really looking to spend my Friday night speaking to an Uber fan internet weirdo mate . Sorry 🙂 

been here before
4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Not really looking to spend my Friday night speaking to an Uber fan internet weirdo mate . Sorry 🙂 

Lets be honest you're all over every thread on the board like a rash, looking for some, any, sort of interaction. Post after post after post...

If you could post the slightest thing to back up any of the frothing shite you posted here iver the last 24 hrs youd be on it like a dug with 2 cocks.

As ever, you've **** all.

Alec Eiffel

If we still refer to Livingston as Meadowbank Thistle then surely Edinburgh City should be referred to as Postal United.  1928 is a Sevco thing, no phoenix there.

3 hours ago, Alec Eiffel said:

If we still refer to Livingston as Meadowbank Thistle then surely Edinburgh City should be referred to as Postal United.  1928 is a Sevco thing, no phoenix there.

Yes, using the foundation date of the original Edinburgh City is undoubtedly Sevco-esque!

That aside, it seems a pity this name-change situation has come about. You’d have thought this could have been resolved satisfactorily.

They may not be the original club, but they were reviving an historical name in Scottish football and I think it’s a shame that’s gone.

Their statement also suggests their plans for an additional stand at Meadowbank have met difficulties due to a dispute with property developers. So, it seems they don’t have their troubles to seek.

Bungalow Bill

Got to wonder if FC Edinburgh actually have fans who class them as their ‘first’ team. Or is it just fans of bigger clubs who go to their matches?

1 minute ago, Apache Mal said:

Got to wonder if FC Edinburgh actually have fans who class them as their ‘first’ team. Or is it just fans of bigger clubs who go to their matches?

A fair few former Meadowbank fans started following them.

part_time_jambo
On 16/06/2022 at 05:12, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

It's more like saying Ayr, Brechin or Newcastle tbh. You only include the City/United etc if there's another team with the same name, eg Dundee United. 

Edinburgh University, Edinburgh United, Edinburgh South & Edinburgh College are all in the same league system as Edinburgh City/FC Edinburgh.

Edited by part_time_jambo

Percival King
1 hour ago, Apache Mal said:

I'm pretty sure they will have fans who class them as their first team, fans who can't be bothered with Hearts and Hibs, possibly can't afford to go to Tynecastle or Easter Road or they prefer the experience of supporting a smaller team. Just like there will be folk who choose to support Queens Park or Salford or Dagenham & Redbridge or Notts County etc over bigger, local alternatives.

1 hour ago, Apache Mal said:

I’d guess there’s a mixture of both types.

Given some of the clubs now playing in League 1, I reckon there might be a fair few supporters of other teams who might be interested in watching some “FC Edinburgh” matches. 
Still a question mark over Meadowbank, however, and that will be a concern.

Bungalow Bill
7 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

I’d guess there’s a mixture of both types.

Given some of the clubs now playing in League 1, I reckon there might be a fair few supporters of other teams who might be interested in watching some “FC Edinburgh” matches. 
Still a question mark over Meadowbank, however, and that will be a concern.

I wonder if I’ll ever meet someone when discussing football they tell me ‘they support FC Edinburgh’…

All roads lead to Gorgie
2 hours ago, Hmfc1965 said:

A fair few former Meadowbank fans started following them.

Not a lot then, Meadowbank only had about 300 fans back in the day!

52 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Not a lot then, Meadowbank only had about 300 fans back in the day!

I remember reading about a couple of older Meadowbank supporters who were attracted by the fact that as younger fans they’d watched Leith Athletic at Old Meadowbank!

Maybe the site possessed some magical pulling power…

33647BDF-4875-44C1-9968-43EFF60E395A.jpeg

11 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

I remember reading about a couple of older Meadowbank supporters who were attracted by the fact that as younger fans they’d watched Leith Athletic at Old Meadowbank!

Maybe the site possessed some magical pulling power…

33647BDF-4875-44C1-9968-43EFF60E395A.jpeg

Edinburgh Monarchs had Old Meadowbank as its stadium.  Knocked down to built the new Meadowbank.

On 17/06/2022 at 20:50, been here before said:

It’s all a wee bit tragic 

58 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

Edinburgh Monarchs had Old Meadowbank as its stadium.  Knocked down to built the new Meadowbank.

Not sure when the Monarchs started using Old Meadowbank but it must overlapped to some extent with Leith Athletic who played there 1936 - 1953.

The picture is certainly a speedway event. As you say, demolished to make way for the Commonwealth Games stadium and complex…

7A26D04B-A545-40C3-B215-11185CB6A7A0.jpeg

Can't get my head around keeping 1928 on the badge at all. 1928 is the formation year of the original Edinburgh City who they're relinquishing all ties with, but keeping that?

Had a wee read of their thread on Pie & Bovril. Case in point basically is no one is happy. However, many fans seem understanding and open to the changes. One thing that is leaving a huge sour taste though, is the fact that this has all been pushed through so quickly. Apparently FC Edinburgh has been used in the marketing department for a few years now, so this is something long planned by the board. To push it through claiming the legal difficulties, despite absolutely no legal challenge at all at present, without even informing fans, is something that it seems some fans can never forgive.

As for Meadowbank, that sounds like a shambles too. At present, there's the main complex with seating built on to the back. That holds 499 plus up to 70 people in corporate hospitality. With the likes of Dunfermline and Falkirk in the division, that just simply isn't beneficial to the club. They are seeking permission to accommodate standing around the pitch, which would up the attendance to 1200-1600 which is certainly better but not really viable long term. There is also of course the other issue of another stand which was planned, directly opposite the main complex. That would hold a further 1000, but apparently there's a dispute about a small patch of the land meaning that stand might not be built any time soon, if ever.

There is a contingency plan apparently to find an alternative venue for the League Cup and even start of the season, if needed. Where exactly, I don't know. You'd assume Ainslie, but I'm sure I read that someone else was going to play there this season taking it back to 3 tenants.

SomethingAboutObua
17 minutes ago, OTT said:

Who does?

Edinburgh City Social Club, possibly the place in Lochend?

9 minutes ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

Yup. Used to be at Greenside for many years, up the steps next to the old RBS on London Road/Elm Row. Now currently situated in the old Loch Inn.

12 minutes ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

Thanks, yeah seems to be the case https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/20216377.spfl-side-forced-change-name-due-social-club-rights-dispute/

Looks like although they've got a letter from the social club saying they can use it, lawyers have said they should probably get their own name and to protect themselves they've went ahead and done that. 

FC Edinburgh is a shite name though :D like when the Redskins decided to call themselves Washington football club or something. Bland and pish. Think after the Glazers took over at Manchester Utd, that fan led team FC United of Manchester formed. Edinburgh City are known as City I think, So to drop City from their name is to drop their name effectively. FC City of Edinburgh until they could properly deal with the name issue would have made sense. Bit of a clumsy sounding name but at least maintains the identity of the club. Even Edinburgh City Athletic or something would have been better. 

Stupid Sexy Flanders
10 hours ago, part_time_jambo said:

Edinburgh University, Edinburgh United, Edinburgh South & Edinburgh College are all in the same league system as Edinburgh City/FC Edinburgh.

Genuinely didn't know that, cheers.

3 hours ago, OTT said:

Thanks, yeah seems to be the case https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/20216377.spfl-side-forced-change-name-due-social-club-rights-dispute/

Looks like although they've got a letter from the social club saying they can use it, lawyers have said they should probably get their own name and to protect themselves they've went ahead and done that. 

FC Edinburgh is a shite name though :D like when the Redskins decided to call themselves Washington football club or something. Bland and pish. Think after the Glazers took over at Manchester Utd, that fan led team FC United of Manchester formed. Edinburgh City are known as City I think, So to drop City from their name is to drop their name effectively. FC City of Edinburgh until they could properly deal with the name issue would have made sense. Bit of a clumsy sounding name but at least maintains the identity of the club. Even Edinburgh City Athletic or something would have been better. 

Yes, the name change seems a tad hasty and potentially unnecessary.

Makes you wonder if there’s something else going on?

Add the uncertainty over Meadowbank, and things aren’t exactly ideal for the club’s first season in League 1. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Edinburgh City