• Rick James

• Chuck Berry

• PortyBeach

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unknown user
22 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Are they rebranding with the move to meadowbank

Hipster name, they're going for Edinburgh's answer to Plastic whistle if you ask me.

Are they not happily taking the scabby green and white length from the east these days ? I think some one on here mentioned that

Saint Jambo
10 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Hipster name, they're going for Edinburgh's answer to Plastic whistle if you ask me.

A tie-up with Hibs will make emulating Partick Thistle pretty difficult. PT's entire identity is based around being independent from the Old Firm. A bit of a strange move given the tie-up between Hibs and Spartans seems to have been a failure.

5 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

A tie-up with Hibs will make emulating Partick Thistle pretty difficult. PT's entire identity is based around being independent from the Old Firm. A bit of a strange move given the tie-up between Hibs and Spartans seems to have been a failure.

Hope this is a failure too because I do not particularly like having to wish liquidation on them but for as long as they have any ties to Hibs I do and will

Edited by Sooks

39 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Don't mind them doing what they feel is necessary to attract the punters. Can't be easy trying to break in as Edinburgh's 3rd team after decades of Hearts and Hibs being the only pro clubs in the city. Do think FC Edinburgh is a bit naff though. Hope that's just the holding name rather than the actual name of the club.

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, Locky said:

Don't mind them doing what they feel is necessary to attract the punters. Can't be easy trying to break in as Edinburgh's 3rd team after decades of Hearts and Hibs being the only pro clubs in the city. Do think FC Edinburgh is a bit naff though. Hope that's just the holding name rather than the actual name of the club.

Even just Edinburgh FC, Edinburgh's a good name.

Edinburgh 3 Falkirk 1

6 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Even just Edinburgh FC, Edinburgh's a good name.

Edinburgh 3 Falkirk 1

Often see Sky and the likes refer to them as just that. Grates me a bit. Like us referring to Sheffield or Manchester's result at the weekend. Well no really I guess but still.

19 minutes ago, Herbert. said:

I wonder if they will adopt hibs flair?

Tbf Hibs need a feeder club they can loan all their stockpiled wonderkids to.

Said it before but, for me, Edinburgh City and Spartans stink of Hibernianism.

I'm not knocking the good they do for the community, and the kids within, but the whiff of Hibs is strong and consistent.

Nookie Bear
56 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

I missed their Hibs link, what's the story there?

From the article: “It could potentially see more young players loaned to City from the Easter Road club in addition to the women playing home games at Meadowbank”

Stupid Sexy Flanders
5 hours ago, Locky said:

Often see Sky and the likes refer to them as just that. Grates me a bit. Like us referring to Sheffield or Manchester's result at the weekend. Well no really I guess but still.

It's more like saying Ayr, Brechin or Newcastle tbh. You only include the City/United etc if there's another team with the same name, eg Dundee United. 

tartofmidlothian
41 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

From the article: “It could potentially see more young players loaned to City from the Easter Road club in addition to the women playing home games at Meadowbank”

👍

been here before

Theyve got a funny history with more incarnations than Sevco.

Originally Edinburgh City from the late 20s to mid 50s. Played amateur until joining the SFL in the 30s. A decade or so of senior football until dropping away post war into the Junior and disappeared completely in the mid 50s.

The Edinburgh City social club had remained active though, it used to be at Greenside place as I recall, and in the 60s a club called Postal United asked them if they could take over the City name. They agreed to this and Postal United becamed Edinburgh City and have bobbed about various grounds and set ups since.

There's been a big push over the last few years to build them up, looking to grab some of the Hearts and Hibs fans who would maybe not go to away games or weeks where neither have a game. Free or discounted admission for Hearts/Hibs ST holders, switch home games to Friday nights, free entry for u12 etc, player involvement in their community teams and theyve a relatively decent sized and vocal Young Team and hardcore who follow them around.

This latest 'rebranding' whilst sounding a bit naff is probably just the latest attmpt at raising the club profile and lets be honest its got them some publicity already.

10 hours ago, Sooks said:

Are they not happily taking the scabby green and white length from the east these days ? I think some one on here mentioned that

Hope this is a failure too because I do not particularly like having to wish liquidation on them but for as long as they have any ties to Hibs I do and will

Green and white away strip next ? Get them in the bin 

Totally ragin' at Edinburgh City

:rofl:

Batistuta87
10 hours ago, Herbert. said:

I wonder if they will adopt hibs flair?

The Portuguese winger they've just signed will end up on loan there next season no doubt. 

2 minutes ago, been here before said:

Theyve got a funny history with more incarnations than Sevco.

Originally Edinburgh City from the late 20s to mid 50s. Played amateur until joining the SFL in the 30s. A decade or so of senior football until dropping away post war into the Junior and disappeared completely in the mid 50s.

The Edinburgh City social club had remained active though, it used to be at Greenside place as I recall, and in the 60s a club called Postal United asked them if they could take over the City name. They agreed to this and Postal United becamed Edinburgh City and have bobbed about various grounds and set ups since.

There's been a big push over the last few years to build them up, looking to grab some of the Hearts and Hibs fans who would maybe not go to away games or weeks where neither have a game. Free or discounted admission for Hearts/Hibs ST holders, switch home games to Friday nights, free entry for u12 etc, player involvement in their community teams and theyve a relatively decent sized and vocal Young Team and hardcore who follow them around.

This latest 'rebranding' whilst sounding a bit naff is probably just the latest attmpt at raising the club profile and lets be honest its got them some publicity already.

Totally ragin' at Edinburgh City

:rofl:

Still upset about nobody laughing at your wee photo a few days ago I see , never mind mate your uber credentials are safe 🙂 

Saint Jambo
4 minutes ago, been here before said:

There's been a big push over the last few years to build them up, looking to grab some of the Hearts and Hibs fans who would maybe not go to away games or weeks where neither have a game. Free or discounted admission for Hearts/Hibs ST holders,

If that is the strategy, does it not make a tie-up with one of those two teams counterproductive? Hearts fans are far less likely to support a Hibs feeder team than an Edinburgh third team that has maintained its independence.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I actually keep forgetting they exist. Maybe they should merge with Hibs instead

6 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

If that is the strategy, does it not make a tie-up with one of those two teams counterproductive? Hearts fans are far less likely to support a Hibs feeder team than an Edinburgh third team that has maintained its independence.

You would think eh

been here before
4 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

Theyre a 3rd/4th division Scottish football team who probably only pull in an average of only c200/300. That isnt going to change massively if a few frothers who likely couldnt spell Edinburgh City, let alone have ever been to a game decide to give them a swerve because theyre having a hysterically melodramatic  meltdown over them "happily taking the scabby green and white length from the east these days".

Over the last few years theres been a far greater Hearts 'influence' going on with them. JJ was the Director of Football for a while, there were numerous ex Hearts players on the books and management team but there wasnt a significant change in supporter numbers.

In reality no-one, apart from a few hardcore, really cares. 

I cant honestly see that many 'see Edinburgh City, well Ive never been to a game and Im still not going, thatll show them'. Thats a special kind of special. 

Sooks kens though.  :lol:

Naisys Tackle

City club used to be good for a cheap game of pool and a pint.  They’ve moved away from there and use a shite hole in lochend now.  They should just have called themselves Lochend FC.  

Naisys Tackle
2 minutes ago, been here before said:

Theyre a 3rd/4th division Scottish football team who probably only pull in an average of only c200/300. That isnt going to change massively if a few frothers who likely couldnt spell Edinburgh City, let alone have ever been to a game decide to give them a swerve because theyre having a hysterically melodramatic  meltdown over them "happily taking the scabby green and white length from the east these days".

Over the last few years theres been a far greater Hearts 'influence' going on with them. JJ was the Director of Football for a while, there were numerous ex Hearts players on the books and management team but there wasnt a significant change in supporter numbers.

In reality no-one, apart from a few hardcore, really cares. 

I cant honestly see that many 'see Edinburgh City, well Ive never been to a game and Im still not going, thatll show them'. Thats a special kind of special. 

Sooks kens though.  :lol:

Isnt Maybury their gaffer with JJ in there too? 

tartofmidlothian
37 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

JJ left them for his wee DOF stint with us, I don't think he went back. Maybury is their gaffer after replacing Gary Naysmith mid-season. I always see AM as more Hearts than Hibs, his best years were with us. Callum Tapping plays for them and they had Anthony McDonald last season too.

They've got a young striker named John Robertson too. :thumbsup:

been here before
46 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

JJ was there for a few years prior to 2020.

1 hour ago, Batistuta87 said:

The Portuguese winger they've just signed will end up on loan there next season no doubt. 

Nah the next Figo will be away to the EPL for 50M in January.

2 hours ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

I actually keep forgetting they exist. Maybe they should merge with Hibs instead

Why would a modern, progressive football club with lofty ambitions and a firm foothold in the capital city merge with a shitey wee club from Leith? 

13 hours ago, Sooks said:

Was that not Spartans?

1 minute ago, iainmac said:

Was that not Spartans?

Yea previously although I seem to recall it died like a gimpy fledgling with a broken wing after a very short period …………… this is their next attempt to take a smaller local club under their shite weather torn umbrella . Youth player exchanges ect . Sorry if my stance upsets any one other than Mr Uber but that is not for me thanks and I say that as some one who has been to see them play and who has a signed shirt from Craig Beattie 😄 

Auld Reekin'
2 hours ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

That could actually work well, as long as the newly merged club is called FC Edinburgh Ltd. and plays in white and black strips. :icon14:

FC Edinburgh is a shite name, hopefully they do something mental and call themselves Internacionale Edinburgh or Partizan Edinburgh or something

Lord Beni of Gorgie
54 minutes ago, Bozi said:

Why would a modern, progressive football club with lofty ambitions and a firm foothold in the capital city merge with a shitey wee club from Leith? 

10 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

That could actually work well, as long as the newly merged club is called FC Edinburgh Ltd. and plays in white and black strips. :icon14:

Very fair and valid points :clap:

48 minutes ago, JAYEL said:

Anybody got a copy of The Rangers. one. ???

image.thumb.png.789e7c268dc0c75c32fe07ca637ebbe7.png

Edited by Newton51

At about 12:45 the manger or whoever he is said 'you know, Hearts and Hibs, they're big clubs but they aren't Edinburgh, they don't have Edinburgh on their badge, they aren't Edinburgh'

The hobos literally have the word Edinburgh on their badge and our actual badge is based on the Heart of Midlothian, an Edinburgh landmark, and believe it or not, our club is named after it.

What a *****, I hope they go into liquidation

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Seems to be finished.

Its FC Edinburgh. 

Ak ok , I thought that was temporary until the big reveal tonight 👍

SomethingAboutObua

What was the actual reason for changing the name? Saw someone say its to avoid a debt, others saying its to avoid a pending legal challenge to the name? Apparently he explains it in the video but I can't get through it, and absolutely nothing about the name change happening on their twitter even after literally changing the name 

• davemclaren changed the title to Edinburgh City