Tyranny of texnology

Francis Albert

Francis Albert

When I opened my smart phone today the first thing I got was a link to "7 tips for using your QR code to order in a restaurant'. Having been using restaurants for nearly 50 years I have ever needed tips on how to order. I read the menu provided when I sit down and discuss it with those I am with. With the QR code route now compulsory in some places we all have to look at the menu on a tiny phone screen illegible to anyone with less than perfect eyesight.

How exactly is this progress?

Dunno but the ability to use mobile technology to check the spelling of words is a great tool to have. 

Just now, Francis Albert said:

Technology of course but ... Technology does not allow easy correction.

😄

Jambo_jim2001

Going by the younger generation,you will soon need to WhatsApp a waitress or waiter for attention 🙄😁

7 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

When I opened my smart phone today the first thing I got was a link to "7 tips for using your QR code to order in a restaurant'. Having been using restaurants for nearly 50 years I have ever needed tips on how to order. I read the menu provided when I sit down and discuss it with those I am with. With the QR code route now compulsory in some places we all have to look at the menu on a tiny phone screen illegible to anyone with less than perfect eyesight.

You can zoom in on a phone menu if you have poor eyesight. You save a lot of paper/ink with a digital version.

Prices and availability of items can in theory be adjusted easily to avoid you finding out after you've ordered that they've run out of x. 

Paper version definitely have their benefits too. I'd be surprised if most restaurants don't have any paper version available upon request.

Using an app to order drinks during the pandemic was much better than queuing at the bar.

JudyJudyJudy
9 hours ago, Mysterion said:

Dunno but the ability to use mobile technology to check the spelling of words is a great tool to have. 

I neever use thaf 

JudyJudyJudy
9 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Yes it annoys me too . I always aSk for paper copy 

14 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Boomers gonna boom 🙁

1_2.png

Technology moves on, people hate it, it continues to move on. 

c40fjx5lnex31.jpg

Nookie Bear

Always feel stuff like that is an example of looking for ways to use technology for the sake of it rather than tech being used to make a difficult task easier.

Just now, Nookie Bear said:

Always feel stuff like that is an example of looking for ways to use technology for the sake of it rather than tech being used to make a difficult task easier.

I imagine it makes a simple task even easier. It'll go straight to the kitchen, saving it being entered into a system by the waiting staff and cut down on mistakes.

I'm a big advocate of it personally. Albeit not in a nice restaurant where I want the staff to tell me about the dishes and make recommendations etc. Your pub grub and especially for drinks, QR code for me please.

I'm amazed it took a pandemic for it to arrive here. Loads is done by QR code in China...I sense much to @jonesys chagrin 😂😂

Dennis Denuto
1 minute ago, Taffin said:

I imagine it makes a simple task even easier. It'll go straight to the kitchen, saving it being entered into a system by the waiting staff and cut down on mistakes.

I'm a big advocate of it personally. Albeit not in a nice restaurant where I want the staff to tell me about the dishes and make recommendations etc. Your pub grub and especially for drinks, QR code for me please.

I'm amazed it took a pandemic for it to arrive here. Loads is done by QR code in China...I sense much to @jonesys chagrin 😂😂

I agree with this entirely.

I agree that being given a printed A4 or larger menu is nice, and the layout on a 4.7" phone screen of mine isn't the same. But I also agree that ordering via an app or QR code helps prevent mistakes, especially if everyone is having a steak but wants it done differently.

I phone my local curry house to order and pay in cash to help them out, but it is quite a hassle going through the order when tapping on an app like JustEat is instant. Mealzo sounds a good alternative the capitalist dominance of JustEat for restaurants/takeaways but it's still a little glitchy.

SuperstarSteve

Just walk out and go to a place that doesn’t require QR codes. Granted if it becomes the norm and it’s no for you just eat in the house lol. 

A slight gripe I have with technology is the removal of landlines. My grand parents can’t work a mobile phone. 

A Boy Named Crow
45 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I disagree. The OP is trying to find a reason to moan about a really convenient use of technology. You can order without having to flag down one of the waiting staff,  pay there and then,  having never left your seat - it's one of the best things to come out of covid. 

Nothing screams "miserable old git" like complaining about progress 😂

Francis Albert
49 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

I disagree. The OP is trying to find a reason to moan about a really convenient use of technology. You can order without having to flag down one of the waiting staff,  pay there and then,  having never left your seat - it's one of the best things to come out of covid. 

Nothing screams "miserable old git" like complaining about progress 😂

Nothing screams age discrimination more than this. Millions of "old gits" don't own a smart phone  (and many more are not adept at using the things) if any minority other than the elderly were being denied access to simple services there would be outrage. 

I first used a QR when I had to to download my NHS vaccination certificate. Ironically a service not accessible to millions of the most vulnerable and most isolated as a result of Covid.

It was also one of the very few times I had ever down loaded an APP but they are now breeding like rabbits and rapidly becoming essential to access many services. 

And although I an not quite in my dotage I like many are not tech savvy. In my case because I find modern technology and its over complicated and time consuming rigmaroles intensely boring.

PS in a restaurant with normal service when do you have to leave your seat other than to use the toilet?

Edited by Francis Albert

Dennis Denuto
6 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Nothing screams age discrimination more than this. Millions of "old gits" don't own a smart phone  (and many more are not adept as using the things) if any minority other than the elderly were being denied access to simple services there would be outrage. 

I first used a QR when I had to to download my NHS vaccination certificate. Ironically a service not accessible to millions of the most vulnerable and most isolated as a result of Covid.

It was also one of the very few times I had ever down loaded an APP but they are now breeding like rabbits and rapidly becoming essential to access many services. 

And although I an not quite in my dotage I like many are not tech savvy. In my case because I find modern technology and its over complicated and time consuming rigmaroles intensely boring.

I don't think that just being elderly is an excuse for not using technology though, lots of groups are resistant to change that in itself os not discrimination. 

There is nothing particularly complicated about using a QR code or downloading an app, if you can post shite on here then you are more than qualified IMO.

16 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Nothing screams age discrimination more than this. Millions of "old gits" don't own a smart phone  (and many more are not adept as using the things) if any minority other than the elderly were being denied access to simple services there would be outrage. 

The QR system is a simple service. If people choose not to have a smart phone that's up to them. It's 2022.

The irony is that this was introduced during a period where everyone was disrupted, by and large (of course not exclusively) to cater for the elderly but somehow once again it's now being labelled ageism. I don't think the elderly can complain too much about things that happened during Covid (care home debacle aside)

I really like your posts on here FA, and think you get unfair stick for the grumpy old man stuff but I'm not with you on this one. 

Nookie Bear
7 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

I don't think that just being elderly is an excuse for not using technology though, lots of groups are resistant to change that in itself os not discrimination. 

There is nothing particularly complicated about using a QR code or downloading an app, if you can post shite on here then you are more than qualified IMO.

I think it is, to an extent. You're clearly a young man and i envy you 😄

Dennis Denuto
3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I think it is, to an extent. You're clearly a young man and i envy you 😄

I am not young, I just know that if you want to or need to you will learn how to do something, not matter what age you are.

For example I can work all the TVs/Smart devices in my house but i am not great with the washing machine.......

Nookie Bear
57 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

I am not young, I just know that if you want to or need to you will learn how to do something, not matter what age you are.

For example I can work all the TVs/Smart devices in my house but i am not great with the washing machine.......

Pretty certain you can get smart washing machines :thumbsup:

Just now, Nookie Bear said:

Pretty certain you can get smart washing machines :thumbsup:

aren't they normally called wives?

Arse 'Friends' Dyslexic?

QR codes can be very useful for people with allergies, dietary requirements etc. where scanning an item can bring up a list of ingredients and other pertinent information.

been here before

Am I the only one who looked at the thread title and googled texnology before opening it and reading the first couple of posts then?

8 hours ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

Going by the younger generation,you will soon need to WhatsApp a waitress or waiter for attention 🙄😁

Is that not standard practice these days 

5 hours ago, jonesy said:

Nah. Missed chatting to bar staff.

I bet the bar staff didn't. 😛

Bindy Badgy
3 hours ago, Taffin said:

It was handy in the Counting House before the cup final. Meant we didn't have to wade through the scrum of people at the bar.

On 14/06/2022 at 12:48, Arse 'Friends' Dyslexic? said:

QR codes can be very useful for people with allergies, dietary requirements etc. where scanning an item can bring up a list of ingredients and other pertinent information.

It's just a chain restaurant, but the Filling Station had one of the best systems I have seen before the pandemic.  When we sat down, they asked if we had allergies (which I have loads of, some severe enough to carry an EpiPen), and the girl went off and brought me an iPad that had their web menu loaded.  I could select the things I couldn't eat and filtered everything out of the menu which directly contained those ingredients.  It was absolutely magic, there is nothing worse than sitting down and deciding on a meal you fancy, before finding out you can't have it.  It whittled it down to only the safe things, and it meant there was no frustration with "Oh, actually we checked in the kitchen, and that contains egg, do you want a few minutes to pick something else?"

I assume that they have probably moved to having that available as QR codes on their tables, and I am all for it.

The people complaining about QR codes are missing the point, and have probably missed the world moving on a bit.  They are incredibly handy, and most people going into the restaurant will be able to load their menu, select their stuff, and in some places place their order without having to wait around.  There is absolutely nothing stopping you quickly, and politely, asking for an actual menu when you take your seat, but people are acting like the restaurant directly went out of their way to specifically offend them, rather than asking for the obvious solution and using their words.  You just know that the waiting staff will get some snippy remark about there not being a menu at the table, even though it's an organisational decision and not like they themselves have chosen to inconvenience you, instead of a "Table for 2, oh and could we get an actual menu as well please?".

It is categorically not age discrimination, age discrimination would be saying "If you're over 50, **** off and eat somewhere else".

davemclaren
On 14/06/2022 at 09:33, Taffin said:

It also saves a business money as less staff are required. The robotic waiter next. 

Would the technology haters please reframe from posting via the internet and send their grievances by post. I'm sure @davemclaren would much appreciate the old ways. And send it by pigeon or horseman, thanks.   :thumb: 

davemclaren
4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Would the technology haters please reframe from posting via the internet and send their grievances by post. I'm sure @davemclaren would much appreciate the old ways. And send it by pigeon or horseman, thanks.   :thumb: 

A waiter would suffice. 😎

Weakened Offender
On 14/06/2022 at 07:51, jonesy said:

Nah. Missed chatting to bar staff.

I bet they didn't. 

3 hours ago, jonesy said:

Houston, we’re going to have a problem.

🙂

Edited by ri Alban

A Boy Named Crow
On 17/06/2022 at 00:04, tian447 said:

It's just a chain restaurant, but the Filling Station had one of the best systems I have seen before the pandemic.  When we sat down, they asked if we had allergies (which I have loads of, some severe enough to carry an EpiPen), and the girl went off and brought me an iPad that had their web menu loaded.  I could select the things I couldn't eat and filtered everything out of the menu which directly contained those ingredients.  It was absolutely magic, there is nothing worse than sitting down and deciding on a meal you fancy, before finding out you can't have it.  It whittled it down to only the safe things, and it meant there was no frustration with "Oh, actually we checked in the kitchen, and that contains egg, do you want a few minutes to pick something else?"

I assume that they have probably moved to having that available as QR codes on their tables, and I am all for it.

The people complaining about QR codes are missing the point, and have probably missed the world moving on a bit.  They are incredibly handy, and most people going into the restaurant will be able to load their menu, select their stuff, and in some places place their order without having to wait around.  There is absolutely nothing stopping you quickly, and politely, asking for an actual menu when you take your seat, but people are acting like the restaurant directly went out of their way to specifically offend them, rather than asking for the obvious solution and using their words.  You just know that the waiting staff will get some snippy remark about there not being a menu at the table, even though it's an organisational decision and not like they themselves have chosen to inconvenience you, instead of a "Table for 2, oh and could we get an actual menu as well please?".

It is categorically not age discrimination, age discrimination would be saying "If you're over 50, **** off and eat somewhere else".

Absolutely! There is no age limit on using the QR codes, everybody is free to get in about the convenience. 

What does hamper people is their own ability / willingness to adapt to a changing world. That in itself has nothing to do with age, and everything to do with mindset.

The reason people might perceive it as an age thing is, as people get older the world will have changed more,  that's more things their closed mindsets will be preventing them from doing!

A Boy Named Crow
46 minutes ago, jonesy said:

There's also the little matter of personal preference.

I don't use a smartphone day-to-day because I'd rather not have one. It shouldn't be difficult for me to order in a restaurant or do other simple tasks without one. The generation above me in my family are all daft for them, by contrast.

Aye, it might be annoying for folk who don't like using smart phones, but fair enough, it's bugger all to do with age. 

QR codes are bloody useful I restaurants though!

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

Francis Albert

The benefits of QR codes seem at least as much if not more for the benefit of the pubs and restaurants as for their customers. Just like the banks pressing on me online banking and Apps.

I have no objection to QR codes being available and used but do object to being obliged to use them and to people being denied access to services if they can't use them or even if they simply don't want to.. And it is not true that a hard copy menu is always available. On several occasions in London and Spain I have been told that a paper menu is not available. And of course if there are no human beings to talk to  how do I order a paper menu...  with a QR?

Anyway I had an interesting conversation  the other day with the manager of our local pub while ordering at the bar. Yes you can still talk to her! Conversation turned to staffing problems and the rapid turnover of staff. She is in her early 30s and not an old fuddy duddy  but her complaint was about the difficulty of training young people. The physical side was not a problem - pulling pints and mixing drinks was easily taught. The problem was their inability to interact with customers. When you consider that from about the age of three many young people communicate  at least as much with machines as with people it is perhaps not surprising.

Edited by Francis Albert

A Boy Named Crow
35 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Agreed.

One thing it is to do with, though, is education and literacy. There's someone in my family who is functionally illiterate, and operating any kind of device is a nightmare for them. 

I think generally, the older the folk are who haven't the confidence to read and write, the less likely they are to seek help with it (and cover it up with things like I don't have my glasses with me, could you just do it for me...). Doubt that was what the OP was referring to, of course, but it can and should be taken into consideration when there's such a rush to digitise.

The question of accessibility is huge with new tech, but it's one that apps and devices are dealing with quite well. Large text, graphic representations rather just words, biometric identification etc. 

Some folk will have cognitive issues that affect them in all sorts of many walks of life. ..but I suspect there are also a lot of folk who are just stuck in their ways. 

Anyway,  my point is, I disagree with the OP 😁

A Boy Named Crow
10 minutes ago, jonesy said:

He's too busy shouting at his kettle to reply.

It'd be funny,  if it wasn't so likely to be true!

:vrface:

Francis Albert
56 minutes ago, jonesy said:

He's too busy shouting at his kettle to reply.

I certainly regularly shout at anything involving more advanced  technology than a kettle!

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

The physical side was not a problem - pulling pints and mixing drinks was easily taught. The problem was their inability to interact with customers. When you consider that from about the age of three many young people communicate  at least as much with machines as with people it is perhaps not surprising.

This is so true.

John Gentleman
On 14/06/2022 at 17:59, Nookie Bear said:

Me think likewise. My daughter recently asked why I pay for things with my 'tap & go' (NFC) card instead of my phone. I replied, "when I drop my phone, it breaks. When I drop my wallet, it doesn't break".

A great deal of 'new tech' is actually about data harvesting. If you're not paying for the product, you are the feckin product. I think the next couple of years will see a good (overdue) cleanout of those tech unicorns. There's not much underpinning them, aside some vague notions of forward multiples of revenue, all conjured up by private equity outfits in prospect of a windfall IPO.

Strap up.