Which subject at school bored you to death?

Angel eyes

For me it was PE. Being at school in gala, if you don't like rugby, you'll hate PE. It got to the point where I just didn't go and would rather get the belt.

Weakened Offender
3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I wasn't disputing my arsehole status, Vincenzo; just underlining yours :) 

No argument here Josie. 👍

Weakened Offender
27 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

He was my music teacher too, I liked him, he was passionate about all sorts of music and liked a lot of punk bands, probably one of the only teacher that I had any respect for.

I didn't mind the teacher side of him too. 

Jeffros Furios
1 minute ago, Weakened Offender said:

No argument here Josie. 👍

You went to school Vinny ? 

crunchy frog
1 hour ago, Weakened Offender said:

My ex History teacher was a nonce. Everyone knew it. He was a pervy old bugger who ended up marrying an ex pupil. 

My ex English teacher was a wrong 'un too. His brother was murdered in his house after being prosecuted for historic child abuse. 

My ex music teacher was a rampant woofer and was murdered in Thailand fairly recently by his house-boy, whatever that is. 

I remember my guidance teacher telling us that the health concerns around smoking were absolute rubbish as her mum and dad smoked 40 cigarettes a day and were fit as a fiddle. She died in her late 40s.

Teachers are arseholes. Anyone who leaves school and wants to teach is a waste of your time. 

We have a winner 😀

As an aside my favourite school report was from the RE teacher who said -and I quote- " it is very difficult for me to assess CF as he has never bothered to turn up to any of my classes" 

Back of the net

Weakened Offender
2 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

You went to school Vinny ? 

Here's Josie's wee sidekick. Cute 😊

crunchy frog
Just now, jonesy said:

Ha! Still proud of my ‘Jonesy has a severe attitude problem’ report written by the drama teacher.

Good work mate.👌

I had a school report from back in the 70s saying " CF is apathetic to life in general"  my folks still wheel that one oot when they are trying to tell me where I went wrang   

All roads lead to Gorgie
29 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Georgraphy - have a look at this lovely stone 

Sure that wasn't Geology 😁

JudyJudyJudy
8 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Ha! Still proud of my ‘Jonesy has a severe attitude problem’ report written by the drama teacher.

My French teacher said I “ as well as being a disruptive element within the class  James can also  be very lackadaisical” I had to look that word up so least I learnt something in French 

tres bien

1 hour ago, rudi must stay said:

Georgraphy - have a look at this lovely stone 

Greatest subject ever.

Although maybe English was your hardest subject......

:kirk:

2 hours ago, Herbert. said:

R.E, The teacher hated me. I despised that class.

Maths, I never understood it, I know enough to get through life but I don't know what X or Y =.

French, 4 years I suffered that class and I left school with the same level of French I went in with. 

I also took French which seemed to be a waste of time. Many years later was in a restaurant in Montreal, menu was in French but I was able to scan through it, the waitress came asked me in Francaise my order and I pidgin Frenched my way into the order. She laughed but asked me in Anglais where I had learned it, when I said school she was impressed how much I remembered, she came and sat with me and we messed around in French for a while, I followed up by going back to night school and it paid off in a number of ways.

rudi must stay
1 hour ago, Der Kaiser said:

Greatest subject ever.

Although maybe English was your hardest subject......

:kirk:

No, wrong. That was one of my best. Fair enough with your comment never not my spelling mistake  

Edited by rudi must stay

P.E. was good until we got a teacher who was, shall we say, fond of seeing his pupils in a state of undress.

It was an all boys school.

1 hour ago, Sharpie said:

I also took French which seemed to be a waste of time. Many years later was in a restaurant in Montreal, menu was in French but I was able to scan through it, the waitress came asked me in Francaise my order and I pidgin Frenched my way into the order. She laughed but asked me in Anglais where I had learned it, when I said school she was impressed how much I remembered, she came and sat with me and we messed around in French for a while, I followed up by going back to night school and it paid off in a number of ways.

I'd be hopeless at trying to speak them now but, from taking French and German at school, the one thing that has proven useful in later life has been able to just about navigate myself around a menu in the languages. Much easier to read/understand them than having to understand them when spoken.

I only took German as a second language as had done well in French prior to choosing subjects, so it was suggested to me to also take German when choosing my O grade subjects. Funnily enough, I was better at German, and again it was down to the teacher. The teacher I had for French O grade was useless, whereas the one we had for German was fun and made it enjoyable.

7 hours ago, frankblack said:

I went to the current one at Barnton in the 80s.

I also hated Latin, which I see as a purely academic subject with little use to most careers.

Religious Education is another pointless waste of space when most of British society isn't religious.

I also got frustrated that we were forced to do Rugby in PE when most boys were into football, which they had little interest in.

I could have written that post.

Apparently things didn't change much at the Royal High in 30 years.  But you had girls at your Royal High, whereas it was an all-boys school when I was there.  That must have made the end-of-year dances much more interesting.  :biggrin2:

Lone Striker

This thread is fascinating, reading folks memories of what subjects they liked and didn't like.

Having taken a bit of ribbing for sticking up for Maths on here,  I'll just end with a wee heads-up for any of you who work (or did work) in areas like product design, packaging design,  accounting, IT, production control, engineering, construction (joinery etc), vehicle maintenance, town planning, science, etc.......   

........regardless of whether you liked or hated maths at school, it was almost certainly  responsible for teaching you the concept of logical problem-solving, which underpins all these careers - even if you didn't realise it !!   Further proof is that  you grew up  supporting Edinburgh's big team - I rest my case !! :whistling:😃:jambobanana: 

Science.

Boring as sin and the teacher, a Mr Heathcote, hated me. Gave me the belt virtually every time. It became a standing joke in the class, kids taking bets etc.

Must have broken the deviant's heart when it was abolished in 1982.

17 minutes ago, martoon said:

Science.

Boring as sin and the teacher, a Mr Heathcote, hated me. Gave me the belt virtually every time. It became a standing joke in the class, kids taking bets etc.

We had a teacher at D Mains Primary who the kids were terrified of.  He had a very short temper which he would lose and one notable time banged a kid's head off the desk.

6 minutes ago, frankblack said:

We had a teacher at D Mains Primary who the kids were terrified of.  He had a very short temper which he would lose and one notable time banged a kid's head off the desk.

A female teacher threw her bunch of big jangly keys at me from across the classroom. I hadn't noticed her come in to the class and demand silence. Hit me square on the napper.

She was sacked a couple of years later after she was caught having sex with a 5th year pupil in the changing rooms.

Not me, btw, I was in 4th year at the time. 😊

John Findlay
1 minute ago, martoon said:

A female teacher threw her bunch of big jangly keys at me from across the classroom. I hadn't noticed her come in to the class and demand silence. Hit me square on the napper.

She was sacked a couple of years later after she was caught having sex with a 5th year pupil in the changing rooms.

A wish it was me type of post😄

1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

A wish it was me type of post😄

I think we all did, John.

Bad tempered but she was quite cute, iirc.

28 minutes ago, martoon said:

:lol:

English was the subject I hated the most, never had the imagination for creative writing and hated the ‘find the real meaning’ of the reading part which was almost always utter bollocks, really should have contained way more about grammar and composition

also ex lasswade and no idea how I missed the mr crisp getting killed in Thailand news!

been here before

Economics.

When we chose our subjects for 3rd and 4th year I wanted Modern Studies but the class was full so I was fired into Economics. My abiding memory of it was its was brutal and the last class of the week.

After a few weeks I cracked and as a sum total of an exam answer I handed in "it is very boring having to come to Economics 3 times a week especially last thing in a Friday".

Writing it out 100 times and a week on a behaviour card saw an opening in Modern Studies soon appear.

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, martoon said:

Science.

What a barbaric thing the belt was.  Why the hell did parents not object to this?  Horrendously abusive use of it by the teachers who couldn't control their class by either good skills or a likeable easy going personality.  Bunch of sadists really. 

Konrad von Carstein
23 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

What a barbaric thing the belt was.  Why the hell did parents not object to this?  Horrendously abusive use of it by the teachers who couldn't control their class by either good skills or a likeable easy going personality.  Bunch of sadists really. 

:lol:

Some of my peers used to egg each other on to get the belt from certain teachers.

We all saw getting the belt as a rite of passage.

Nowt wrong with it IMO, however I appreciate that times have changed.

Not for the better I'd suggest.

Just remembered one incident where a particularly sycophantic smart arse miss stepped and was called to the front of the class to receive his 3 lashes,  after the first he was pleading for no more. Twat!

Edited by Konrad von Carstein

1 hour ago, Ribble said:

also ex lasswade and no idea how I missed the mr crisp getting killed in Thailand news!

There was a piece on the news a few years ago about the amount of Lasswade teachers that had died, especially if they were in C wing, I think that was where the 

science and technical classes were, way above the average seemingly.

11 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

There was a piece on the news a few years ago about the amount of Lasswade teachers that had died, especially if they were in C wing, I think that was where the 

science and technical classes were, way above the average seemingly.

Found the article, most were 50+ and died of heart attacks or cancer which isn’t that unusual in Scotland, sure one was languages teacher mr McLean who had a heart attack and considering I used to see him most evenings working his way pub by pub from the bridges to causeway side isn’t that surprising really

2 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Found the article, most were 50+ and died of heart attacks or cancer which isn’t that unusual in Scotland, sure one was languages teacher mr McLean who had a heart attack and considering I used to see him most evenings working his way pub by pub from the bridges to causeway side isn’t that surprising really

Was he a wee stocky ginger guy? I think he was my French teacher.

Edited by Dawnrazor

7 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

He was my music teacher too, I liked him, he was passionate about all sorts of music and liked a lot of punk bands, probably one of the only teacher that I had any respect for.

Mrs inspector who worked at the school agrees

7 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

Aye 

Elijarock, yes lord.......😂

He wasn't a bad bloke really, my family knew him.

I don't think it was his houseboy, was it not thought to be a tribal killing? All the lightbulbs in his house had been smashed.

Anyway. Everything at school bored the shite out of me.

40 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Was he a wee stocky ginger guy? I think he was my French teacher.

yeah, kinda looked like a ginger mario

1 minute ago, Ribble said:

yeah, kinda looked like a ginger mario

Aye, he was a fierce wee ****er!!!

There's was a couple of my old teachers who died early, Mrs Kilpatrick, modern studies, was one I think? Horrible woman.

20 hours ago, Angel eyes said:

Woodwork theory, f@#k me last thing on a Friday double period hellish, just hellish….

When I did woodwork O level, our teacher Mr Laurie (a good Jambo too) even said it was the toughest he'd seen. I did cock it up tbh.

2 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

The technical drawing/woodwork teacher used to keep his belt over his shoulder under his jacket.

He must have thought he was some kind of classroom belt slinger.

A complete arse of a man who never hid his disdain for pupils and, most likely, the job.

We weren't the enemy, ffs.

Jambo_jim2001

PT "physical torture". Middle of winter always got sent out running. Teachers following in the school minibus.

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, martoon said:

The technical drawing/woodwork teacher used to keep his belt over his shoulder under his jacket.

He must have thought he was some kind of classroom belt slinger.

A complete arse of a man who never hid his disdain for pupils and, most likely, the job.

We weren't the enemy, ffs.

Yes cowards intimidating and scaring children into compliance.  Thats not a conducive environment to learn. Mr Mckenzie was out maths teacher and he was similar to your techie drawing one.  Like i said the good teachers didnt need to belt kids. 

Tommy Brown
On 11/06/2022 at 22:59, Mister T said:

Engineering science. I don't think anyone in the class understood what it was all about. And that included the teacher.

RE was a total waste of time.

Back in the 70s it started as Mechanics.

Pupils assumed car mechanics and landed up in a branch of maths. Not of waste of time though.

English for me though. Made my mind wander. All maths subjects and Techy Drawing were my forte.

On 11/06/2022 at 23:32, Norm said:

Maths. Integers, sine, cosine, tangent, all gobbledygook to me. 

Other than that, didn't mind the rest. 

This plus feckin Algebra! WTAF is that used for? Never used Algebra in my adult or working life ever!!!

Plus Religious Education. Who gives a feck? A period wasted that could have been used for P.E.

Going to Preston Lodge in Prestonpans, the headmaster (Davie Allen at the time) and the head of PE (Mr Murray) were MASSIVE rugby fans. The only time we ever got to play football was in deep winter when the fields were either covered in snow or waterlogged and then it was an inside 5's game.

I was clueless at Rugby. I still don't understand when you have a scrum or why you have one. Seems a completely pointless exercise. Hated PE for that reason. I was shoved in the rugby team as a number 7 (or was it 9)? What that is I have no idea. I didn't even know where to stand or when to run and then some gorilla would half me and into the mud I went. Such fun!

People who enjoy rugby are weirdo's. Anytime you are out and there's a rugby team in, you can see they have something missing about them!

The other thing they liked to do to us (in the rain) was a cross country run. Absolute bar stewards!

Thing is, 'PL' had a separate weights gym which was quite advanced for the early 80's plus a cupboard full of things like archery sets and we were never allowed anywhere near any of it (mind you, I can now appreciate the H&S nightmare kids playing with bows & arrows may have been).

Edited by Pans Jambo

Physics, utter feckin torture. I remember our prelim (yeah, that old), and the marks were read out in class. 8% for me and I wasn't even close to being bottom. A zero, a 2, a couple of 4's and a 6% all lower than me. One brainy fecker did manage to get 100% but he got similar in maths and understood algebra and trigonometry, just incredible how his head worked. He was a decent guy too, not up his own arse or anything like that. I remember doing woodwork and we were tasked with making a rattle that fans used to take to the football years ago. We all thought he'd be useless at that but he ended up making the loudest rattle out of all of us.

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, JWL said:

Physics, utter feckin torture. I remember our prelim (yeah, that old), and the marks were read out in class. 8% for me and I wasn't even close to being bottom. A zero, a 2, a couple of 4's and a 6% all lower than me. One brainy fecker did manage to get 100% but he got similar in maths and understood algebra and trigonometry, just incredible how his head worked. He was a decent guy too, not up his own arse or anything like that. I remember doing woodwork and we were tasked with making a rattle that fans used to take to the football years ago. We all thought he'd be useless at that but he ended up making the loudest rattle out of all of us.

Yes I think some peoples brains are just wired for maths and physics and some are not . I didn’t have a clue about either subject and hasn’t the slightest interest either . I much preferred social subjects like modern studies , English and history and not surprisingly I did well in those.