Bird and squirrel feeders

AlimOzturk

Love the local birds and squirrels who visit our community back green area. Along with a neighbour we built up a lovely bird feeder and installed some squirrel feeders. Problem we are having is rouge cats coming in and having a feeding frenzy at the expense of our lovely wee wild life. 

Love cats but the rascals are seriously causing a bit of mayhem and just wondering if there is any advice from you chaps how to deter them but keep the local wildlife happy?

Jeffros Furios
3 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Love the local birds and squirrels who visit our community back green area. Along with a neighbour we built up a lovely bird feeder and installed some squirrel feeders. Problem we are having is rouge cats coming in and having a feeding frenzy at the expense of our lovely wee wild life. 

Love cats but the rascals are seriously causing a bit of mayhem and just wondering if there is any advice from you chaps how to deter them but keep the local wildlife happy?

You can get a cat scarer which is like a small green camera which you stick in the ground 

I had one and it had the desired effect .

Just now, Greedy Jambo said:

I didn't have you down as a pensioner @AlimOzturk

Still a young buck. Local wild life though is a treasure. Apart from when they dig up my potatoes. 

Tommy Brown

Don't believe in feeding squirrels.

If they decide to venture into your attic, they will destroy it 

Cue answer: it's OK I don't have an attic.

I live in a flat.

highlandjambo3

Different subject but in a similar “Mother Nature” theme………..

Cycled out toLoch Ness yesterday and stopped to have a wee bit of a picnic, some ducks running around all chasing each other then, I seen a female duck with her 3 wee chicks in a bit of a panic at the carry on around her.  The 3 wee chicks were scampering about when two of them went one way and the third one went the other way, the mum chased after the two and a split second later a crow was onto the third chick picking it up by the leg and off it went.   I know Mother Nature and all that balance stuff but still not nice to see ………. Mother duck was seemingly fine after a few seconds, her and her two chicks 😢

Harry Potter
11 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Jackdaws, robins, and sparrows feed on my small feeder, never had a problem with cats, what kind of feed is it.

Malinga the Swinga

My wife wanted Nord feeder set up for ages and finally got it done last summer. Nothing fancy, just a simple 4 feed station with all different types of Fred.

Now, i like watching the small birds fly about and settle but my favourite is the crow we have that has worked out how to lift the feeders, take into other bit of garden, open them and help himself. 

We tried fastening on with various things but crow doesn't give on and eventually works out way to get what he wants.

Must admit, I do like perseverance and intelligence they show.

We have about 3 or 4 squirrels that eat the peanuts we leave but haven't seen them so far this year.

Never had problem with cats. Even when my two were alive, they couldn't be arsed chasing the birds who were too smart for them while squirrels were too fast.

Good luck trying to stop them coming in to garden as they normally do find a way 

29 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Jackdaws, robins, and sparrows feed on my small feeder, never had a problem with cats, what kind of feed is it.

Sunflower seeds for the birds and monkey nuts for the squirrels. Got a feeder perched in the the tree, some nuts spread around for the squirrels.  

il Duce McTarkin
47 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Different subject but in a similar “Mother Nature” theme………..

Cycled out toLoch Ness yesterday and stopped to have a wee bit of a picnic, some ducks running around all chasing each other then, I seen a female duck with her 3 wee chicks in a bit of a panic at the carry on around her.  The 3 wee chicks were scampering about when two of them went one way and the third one went the other way, the mum chased after the two and a split second later a crow was onto the third chick picking it up by the leg and off it went.   I know Mother Nature and all that balance stuff but still not nice to see ………. Mother duck was seemingly fine after a few seconds, her and her two chicks 😢

Ducks are rapey *******s. 

My brother used to keep some, along with a few other animals, and maintains that they are arseholes. 

His geese were great though. He reckons that if you get them young enough and treat them right they can be just like a friendly dog.

il Duce McTarkin
16 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Sunflower seeds for the birds and monkey nuts for the squirrels. Got a feeder perched in the the tree, some nuts spread around for the squirrels.  

Squirrels are cute but they're destructive wee ****s. Not unusual to have double figures in my garden. 

The badger makes a fair bit of mess too.

Weakened Offender
12 hours ago, Jeffros Furios said:

You can get a cat scarer which is like a small green camera which you stick in the ground 

I had one and it had the desired effect .

😁😁😁

Jeffros Furios
7 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

😁😁😁

Morning Vinny 😍

Weakened Offender
45 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Morning Vinny 😍

Good morning you moggy-worrying roaster 😁

Weakened Offender
5 hours ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

His geese were great though. He reckons that if you get them young enough and treat them right they can be just like a friendly dog.

I know someone who farms and they have a few 'pet' geese. One of them flies alongside him when he's out on his quad bike 😀

I don't see the point in feeding squirrels.  They're perfectly capable of looking after themselves.

2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Fattening 'em up for the autumn BBQ season, perhaps.

Nah, Ferret food, they're pretty "musky" 🤢

23 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Fill some plastic bottles with water and leave them about the garden. If you've any old CDs hang them up around the garden. The light reflection is supposed to scare cats.

And coffee , sprinkle it under the bird feeder. They hate the smell.

Samuel Camazzola
On 10/06/2022 at 20:30, AlimOzturk said:

A dish full of anti-freeze is meant to work as a deterrent... 

Spoiler

... Don't really try this

On 11/06/2022 at 09:25, indianajones said:

Grey squirrels should be shot on sight. 

Agree. Them and Magpies who seem to kill young nestlings for fun/play. Took three nestling Blackbirds out their nest in our hedge yesterday and just left them after killing them. Also suspect they did the same to the young of House Sparrows who also nest in our garden.