Billy Bingham Deid

briever

Billy Bingham: Former Northern Ireland manager dies at the age of 90 - BBC Sport

Always like him as a manager.

Good age though.

Sammy McIlroy told an amusing story about him before the 82 World Cup where he got all the players to come down and get sun screen and aftersun - they all duly did and as they were going back to their room Bingham charged them for the cream - his proper job was a Pharmacist.

Bingham was Everton manager when we knocked them out of the Texaco Cup in 1973

25 000 at the Tynecastle second leg for a 0-0 draw

40 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

What he achieved with that Irish team was amazing. Loved watching them in the world cups. 

Everything we weren't.

Carl Fredrickson
5 minutes ago, briever said:

Everything we weren't.

I struggle to watch Scotland just now. That Irish team had no "superstars" other than maybe Pat Jennings with many playing in the lower leagues but he gelled them into a team. Always came across well in interviews. I mind as a kid getting the boat to Larne for the day and I was hoping we would meet some of Irish players :)

Met him on holiday in 1987 when I was a kid. Quiet guy but happy to talk about football - he was an absolute gent. 

i wish jj was my dad

He always came across as a very nice and funny man. His quip to Shanks about getting potatoes for Kevin Keegan was priceless. But his leadership of NI was legendary. No other home nation has ever punched above its weight like that since

9 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I struggle to watch Scotland just now. That Irish team had no "superstars" other than maybe Pat Jennings with many playing in the lower leagues but he gelled them into a team. Always came across well in interviews. I mind as a kid getting the boat to Larne for the day and I was hoping we would meet some of Irish players :)

They had plenty of superstars in that team.

2 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

He always came across as a very nice and funny man. His quip to Shanks about getting potatoes for Kevin Keegan was priceless. But his leadership of NI was legendary. No other home nation has ever punched above its weight like that since

Wales reached the European championship semifinal , did they not?

Nookie Bear
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Was going to say Wales as well. 

Looking at that team it had some top players like Jennings, Mcilroy and Martin O’Neill but also some average players as well. Gerry Armstrong had just been promoted with Watford before the WC

Also didn’t realise NI played 30 mins with ten men in that game. 

1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

Was going to say Wales as well. 

Looking at that team it had some top players like Jennings, Mcilroy and Martin O’Neill but also some average players as well. Gerry Armstrong had just been promoted with Watford before the WC

Also didn’t realise NI played 30 mins with ten men in that game. 

Whiteside wasn't half bad, even at his age. Loved the world cup back then. 

i wish jj was my dad
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

With the likes of Gareth Bale in their team. What superstars did Billy Bingham have to work with? And in a far tougher era. 

i wish jj was my dad
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

They had plenty of superstars in that team.

No they didn't. Pat Jennings was the only player in their team that would have got close to being considered for a British XI at that time

16 hours ago, jbee647 said:

Bingham was Everton manager when we knocked them out of the Texaco Cup in 1973

25 000 at the Tynecastle second leg for a 0-0 draw

Was it Kenny Aird who scored at Goodison for 1-0 victory and him and Prentice were on fire that night 

3 hours ago, samgolden said:

Was it Kenny Aird who scored at Goodison for 1-0 victory and him and Prentice were on fire that night 

Drew Busby 1-0 win at Goodison Park

Piece of trivia, for the second leg at Tynecastle, Everton actually wore Hearts socks, white with maroon tops, to make it actually weirder, Hearts that night wore all white socks, Dundee actually a few weeks earlier did exactly the same thing and wore Hearts socks in the league at Tynecastle

one for the Hearts historians?

neither match was on TV

Edited by jbee647

6 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

No they didn't. Pat Jennings was the only player in their team that would have got close to being considered for a British XI at that time

Martin O'Neil, Norman Whiteside Pat Jennings to name a few. Wales have Bale.

i wish jj was my dad

Other than Jennings none of them would have got close to a British or even scotland xi in 82. Whitefield would have within a few years granted but not at that time. What Billy Bingham achieved with that group of players was amazing.  Even qualifying for Spain with Portugal and Sweden in our group was remarkable.

Edited by i wish jj was my dad

Whiteside the youngest player to play at a WC and score. And Martin O'Neil the 2 time European cup winner. Aye, shite.

i wish jj was my dad
25 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Whiteside the youngest player to play at a WC and score. And Martin O'Neil the 2 time European cup winner. Aye, shite.

As much as I rate Whiteside, at 17 neither him or O'Neil would have got into the scotland 82 side. Not by a long chalk.  Away and pick a fight with somebody else. 

29 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

As much as I rate Whiteside, at 17 neither him or O'Neil would have got into the scotland 82 side. Not by a long chalk.  Away and pick a fight with somebody else. 

Not getting into a fight but we did beat the host country and get to the quarter finals in 82

i wish jj was my dad
7 minutes ago, larne hmfc said:

Not getting into a fight but we did beat the host country and get to the quarter finals in 82

Precisely. With a squad that had no business doing it either. 

I watched both the NI / Scotland head to head games in the qualifiers again recently. Mr Bingham got a damn sight more out of his side than Mr Stein.  No doubt about that. 

And if Mr Stein had got as much out of his squad as Mr Bingham did in 82 we could have come home with the trophy. 

11 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Precisely. With a squad that had no business doing it either. 

I watched both the NI / Scotland head to head games in the qualifiers again recently. Mr Bingham got a damn sight more out of his side than Mr Stein.  No doubt about that. 

And if Mr Stein had got as much out of his squad as Mr Bingham did in 82 we could have come home with the trophy. 

Could have come home with the trophy sounds a bit English to me, I think the N. Ireland squad was a bit better than you give it credit for. 

4 minutes ago, larne hmfc said:

Could have come home with the trophy sounds a bit English to me, I think the N. Ireland squad was a bit better than you give it credit for. 

It probably was but that Scotland squad should have done better. 

New Zealand was the real problem.  The way we started that game we should have just needed a draw against Russia. 

Then we lost two comedy goals  

17 minutes ago, Hmfc1965 said:

New Zealand was the real problem.  The way we started that game we should have just needed a draw against Russia. 

39 minutes ago, Hmfc1965 said:

I agree pal

i wish jj was my dad
54 minutes ago, larne hmfc said:

If we played above ourselves like NI did a squad with McGrain, Hansen, McLeish, Miller, Souness Wark, Strachan, Jordan, Dalglish, , Robertson, Archibald etc. could have gone all the way. I would have liked Pat Jennings tbf. 

Just now, i wish jj was my dad said:

If we played above ourselves like NI did a squad with McGrain, Hansen, McLeish, Miller, Souness Wark, Strachan, Jordan, Dalglish, , Robertson, Archibald etc. could have gone all the way. I would have liked Pat Jennings tbf. 

The scary thing is the 78 squad was better wheretf did all these players go

i wish jj was my dad
3 minutes ago, andi17 said:

Possibly. It's an interesting debate. I wonder what we could have done with McGrain and McQueen and a manager that had enough savvy to pick Souness instead of Masson  and put on Derek Johnstone instead if Joey effing Harper.

I was too young to get it but we ghad some top players. For me the players we had from that era were as good as we will ever see. 

Possibly. It's an interesting debate. I wonder what we could have done with McGrain and McQueen and a manager that had enough savvy to pick Souness instead of Masson  and put on Derek Johnstone instead if Joey effing Harper.

I was too young to get it but we ghad some top players. For me the players we had from that era were as good as we will ever see. 

I think with the squad we had we should have approached Brian Clough [NO DISRESPECT TO ALLY WE REALLY DID BELIEVE0 he really would have done it as a GIRUY to the FA what he could have got out of that squad SCARY

Just now, andi17 said:

I think with the squad we had we should have approached Brian Clough [NO DISRESPECT TO ALLY WE REALLY DID BELIEVE) he really would have done it as a GIRUY to the FA what he could have got out of that squad SCARY

1 hour ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Why have you never played above yourself with all these great players? 

Malinga the Swinga
35 minutes ago, andi17 said:

74 was the chance. If we had played Zaire second or third, we'd have got through.

Should have battered them but settled for 2 in first half and coasted after that.

Even then, Brazil only squeaked through on goal difference with a pishy goal near end.

That's supporting Scotland though, permanent disappointment with intermittent hope injected.

i wish jj was my dad
14 minutes ago, larne hmfc said:

Why have you never played above yourself with all these great players? 

It's a really good question. The 74 squad were unlucky but wiliie ormond was out his depth. Mr stein might have had the authority the drunken hibbie  didn't to take us through

.In 78 injuries to McQueen and McGrain cost us but mot playing guys live Souness cost us big time. 

i wish jj was my dad
38 minutes ago, larne hmfc said:

Why have you never played above yourself with all these great 

And in 86 we were just edged out by slightly better teams. Both Denmark and Germany the games could have gone either way.

Uruguay was a disgrace though. Missing Souness was huge but we still had miller, aitken, gough mcleish, sharp and Nicol.  They were all big lads who should have handled it much better.

On 10/06/2022 at 18:57, Carl Fredrickson said:

What he achieved with that Irish team was amazing. Loved watching them in the world cups. 

Totally. 82 World Cup they were tremendous under him. 
RIP ❤️❤️